Page 43 of 343 FirstFirst ... 333940414243444546475393143 ... LastLast

Thread: Corona Virus Peak Watch Thread

1. #631 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 32,101 Times in 21,165 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,307 Times in 1,235 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dutch Uncle View Post
    I'll donate $20 to the forum in your name if you can provide a single link to a reputable medical website like the CDC or WebMD proving your claims are true.

While there is truth that people can take measures to build up or weaken their immune systems, it's not a guarantee against serious illness just like wearing a seatbelt isn't a guarantee you'll survive being hit by a drunk driver.

There are a lot of variables in play here. Yes, most of those with weakened immune systems such as aged women like yourself, are more vulnerable to COVID, flu, anthrax, whatever compared to younger women, but if all are infected with a virus, it's not a guarantee of who will live and who will die.
    But let’s be thankful for statistics lol.

Statistically, a very significant part of the population has little to fear from COVID. We all know about the nursing home victims. But with that population, COVID is just another wolf in the pack.

Young people—especially young kids, should worry just as much about the flu, if not more. Again, statistically.

Stretch is right about the immune system factor: many if not most COVID victims die from multi-organ failure brought on by the Cytokine Storm—an autoimmune syndrome *which is triggered*, by the COVID virus. To say COVID isn’t killing so many people isn’t semantics: it’s a VERY critical bit of information in terms of possible treatments.

Whether it’s the strength of the immune system or a *factor* in the immune system is an interesting question. It certainly seems age related and I think a certain blood type correlates to susceptibility. So take it easy on Stretch, she’s not as far off as you’d like her to be.

But there’s your informed medical opinion for the day lol. I know how much you enjoy them. You love it when I talk medical, don’t you.
    Coup has started. First of many steps. Impeachment will follow ultimately~WB attorney Mark Zaid, January 2017

2. #632 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 14,172 Times in 10,390 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,876 Times in 4,194 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Stretch View Post
    You have their doctor reports? None of them were diabetic? Had cardiovascular issues? Pulmonary issues? IBD? Obesity? Liver disease? Sickle cell? vitamin D deficiency? Hepatitis? Kidney disease?
    Many could have had simple colds which weakened their immune systems which in turn made them vulnerable.
    People had no clue back about such things at that time. So many other factors too...poor diets, lack of sanitation, on and on.
    Polio struck many very young. Children.

Measles rampant among children.

Your stupidity is not fixable.

3. The Following User Groans At domer76 For This Awful Post:

Stretch (07-03-2020)

4. The Following User Says Thank You to domer76 For This Post:

ThatOwlWoman (07-03-2020)

5. #633 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,095 Times in 13,072 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,908 Times in 5,169 Posts
    Blog Entries

Hello Darth Omar,

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Omar View Post

Statistically, a very significant part of the population has little to fear from COVID. We all know about the nursing home victims. But with that population, COVID is just another wolf in the pack.

Young people—especially young kids, should worry just as much about the flu, if not more. Again, statistically.

Stretch is right about the immune system factor: many if not most COVID victims die from multi-organ failure brought on by the Cytokine Storm—an autoimmune syndrome *which is triggered*, by the COVID virus. To say COVID isn’t killing so many people isn’t semantics: it’s a VERY critical bit of information in terms of possible treatments.

Whether it’s the strength of the immune system or a *factor* in the immune system is an interesting question. It certainly seems age related and I think a certain blood type correlates to susceptibility. So take it easy on Stretch, she’s not as far off as you’d like her to be.

But there’s your informed medical opinion for the day lol. I know how much you enjoy them. You love it when I talk medical, don’t you.
    The families, loved ones, and friends of the 130,000 dead Americans will not be very comforted to learn that it wasn't technically the disease which killed them. They have still lost their loved ones. Those deaths happened because of the pandemic. If a very significant part of the population doesn't mind losing relatives and friends then they have little to fear. It should be noted that medical expert Dr Fauci said 20% of the people who get sick with this will get VERY sick. An 11yo boy died on Miami. The Chinese Doctor whistleblower who died of COVID-19 was 33 years old. He's dead now.
    Personal Ignore Policy PIP: I like civil discourse. I will give you all the respect in the world if you respect me. Mouth off to me, or express overt racism, you will be PERMANENTLY Ignore Listed. Zero tolerance. No exceptions. I'll never read a word you write, even if quoted by another, nor respond to you, nor participate in your threads. ... Ignore the shallow. Cherish the thoughtful. Long Live Civil Discourse, Mutual Respect, and Good Debate! ps: Feel free to adopt my PIP. It works well.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to PoliTalker For This Post:

7. #634 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by PoliTalker View Post
    Hello Darth Omar,

The families, loved ones, and friends of the 130,000 dead Americans will not be very comforted to learn that it wasn't technically the disease which killed them. They have still lost their loved ones. Those deaths happened because of the pandemic. If a very significant part of the population doesn't mind losing relatives and friends then they have little to fear. It should be noted that medical expert Dr Fauci said 20% of the people who get sick with this will get VERY sick. An 11yo boy died on Miami. The Chinese Doctor whistleblower who died of COVID-19 was 33 years old. He's dead now.
    But this isn’t the time for emotional arguments.

How many lives do you think the lockdown cost? Have you seen the suicide numbers? How many kids are going to be scarred for life from being quarantined for months with abusive parents? How many more alcoholics and drug addicts do we have now compared to February?

How do you suppose the affected families feel about that?

These are serious questions—but Fauci could only focus on one thing. COVID deaths. We are just starting to see the social costs that are going to arise out of this.

If humans were animals there’d be an argument to call the humane society on our experts.
    Coup has started. First of many steps. Impeachment will follow ultimately~WB attorney Mark Zaid, January 2017

8. #635 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 68,571 Times in 51,893 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,506 Times in 2,463 Posts
    Blog Entries

Grow up. Let yourself sick. It's your choice.
    BTDT. Why? Of course. Using common sense always is a choice for those who possess it. Obviously, among the science-deniers, common sense isn't so common.
    God bless America and those who defend our Constitution.

"Hatred is a failure of imagination" - Graham Greene, "The Power and the Glory"

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Doc Dutch For This Post:

10. #636 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Statistically, a very significant part of the population has little to fear from COVID. We all know about the nursing home victims. But with that population, COVID is just another wolf in the pack. ....
    As usual, the entire point of the conversation I was responding to eludes you like the Road Runner from Wile E Coyote.

11. #637 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,626 Times in 7,127 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,985 Times in 2,707 Posts
    Blog Entries

As usual, the entire point of the conversation I was responding to eludes you like the Road Runner from Wile E Coyote.
    men that wear masks have a larger penis, its from a recent study

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to katzgar For This Post:

domer76 (07-03-2020), ThatOwlWoman (07-03-2020)

13. #638 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by katzgar View Post
    men that wear masks have a larger penis, its from a recent study
    LOL. That's a pretty low bar to best Darth over.

14. #639 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

BTDT. Why? Of course. Using common sense always is a choice for those who possess it. Obviously, among the science-deniers, common sense isn't so common.
    Well, science trumps common sense lol.

There’s any number of things that seem intuitively true that have been dispensed by science: flat earth is the most famous example.

Masks *seem* like they should prevent transmission. But the only literature I could find on the efficacy of masks [specifically masks, not masks correlated with pandemic numbers] concluded they were useless to prevent transmission.

And it wasn’t one peer reviewed study—it was a review of several studies and each came to the same conclusion: masks don’t work in a clinical setting.

I posted the link but it was derided because it was done by dentists and oral surgeons. The problem with that objection is they reviewed studies from different disciplines. In one instance, they found no correlation between surgical staff wearing masks and wound infections. Didn’t matter if masks were worn during surgery or not—no statistical difference in outcome. That actually surprised me.

So, how can masks be useless in a clinical setting but useful when worn in public by the public?

15. #640 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 82,492 Times in 52,722 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,657 Times in 4,376 Posts
    Blog Entries

A person can be young and outwardly healthy and have a weak immune system.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019...onditions.html
    Of course that's true. DUH.

It's hilarious how suddenly the CDC is worth quoting.
    "Conservatism is the blind and fear-filled worship of dead radicals." -- Mark Twain

16. The Following User Says Thank You to ThatOwlWoman For This Post:

Doc Dutch (07-03-2020)

17. #641 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,028 Times in 12,558 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,401 Times in 1,345 Posts
    Blog Entries

According to World0Meters serious/critical cases are still flatlined.

This need to change for the alarmists to have a case.
    This illegal illegitimate regime that runs America is at fault...not me.... they do not represent me and I have long objected to their crimes against humanity.

18. #642 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ThatOwlWoman View Post

Our experts suck, but they are all we have.
    This illegal illegitimate regime that runs America is at fault...not me.... they do not represent me and I have long objected to their crimes against humanity.

19. #643 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ThatOwlWoman View Post

It's pretty easy: If the CDC says something a Trumpette likes, then it's worth citing. If the CDC says something she doesn't like, then it's "Fake news! Democrat lies! A plot to put both Obama and Hillary in the White House, dammit!". Easy peasy

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Doc Dutch For This Post:

PoliTalker (07-03-2020), ThatOwlWoman (07-03-2020)

21. #644 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Well, science trumps common sense lol.

There’s any number of things that seem intuitively true that have been dispensed by science: flat earth is the most famous example.

Masks *seem* like they should prevent transmission. But the only literature I could find on the efficacy of masks [specifically masks, not masks correlated with pandemic numbers] concluded they were useless to prevent transmission.

And it wasn’t one peer reviewed study—it was a review of several studies and each came to the same conclusion: masks don’t work in a clinical setting.

I posted the link but it was derided because it was done by dentists and oral surgeons. The problem with that objection is they reviewed studies from different disciplines. In one instance, they found no correlation between surgical staff wearing masks and wound infections. Didn’t matter if masks were worn during surgery or not—no statistical difference in outcome. That actually surprised me.

So, how can masks be useless in a clinical setting but useful when worn in public by the public?
    It was weeks ago that I was looking into the matter, what I found is that wearing masks in surgery has never been backed by science, there never was any evidence that it does any good, that the practice continues because it cant hurt and it makes people feel like they are trying.

22. #645 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,068 Times in 6,779 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,829 Times in 1,694 Posts

It's possible that the last dozen or so people in the world who are arguing that masks don't work are on JPP...

23. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BartenderElite For This Post:

domer76 (07-03-2020), PoliTalker (07-03-2020), ThatOwlWoman (07-03-2020)