Page 190 of 343 FirstFirst ... 90140180186187188189190191192193194200240290 ... LastLast
Results 2,836 to 2,850 of 5139

Thread: Corona Virus Peak Watch Thread

1. #2836 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,400 Times in 5,849 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 6,396 Times in 6,143 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PoliTalker View Post
    Hello moon,

And that gives us the opportunity to counter that position with solid scientific evidence.

You and I agree with one another on the urgency of taking appropriate measures to deal with the pandemic. What kind of a debate can WE have about it? That would be boring, just high fiving one another over and over.

Darth makes it interesting.

You have to appreciate the diversity of this nation.

We allow all this variety of viewpoints, and then when we boil that down into policy we know everything had been considered.
    Of course- and that's why my lampooning of Daft Omar 61's stupidity is valid.
    " First they came for the journalists...
    We don't know what happened after that . "

Maria Ressa.

2. #2837 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,095 Times in 13,072 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,908 Times in 5,169 Posts
    Blog Entries

Hello moon,

Quote Originally Posted by moon View Post
    Of course- and that's why my lampooning of Daft Omar 61's stupidity is valid.
    Well, we'll have to simply agree to disagree about how to best argue a point or a position.
    Personal Ignore Policy PIP: I like civil discourse. I will give you all the respect in the world if you respect me. Mouth off to me, or express overt racism, you will be PERMANENTLY Ignore Listed. Zero tolerance. No exceptions. I'll never read a word you write, even if quoted by another, nor respond to you, nor participate in your threads. ... Ignore the shallow. Cherish the thoughtful. Long Live Civil Discourse, Mutual Respect, and Good Debate! ps: Feel free to adopt my PIP. It works well.

3. #2838 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Hello moon,

Well, we'll have to simply agree to disagree about how to best argue a point or a position.
    Sure. I'll refrain from interfering with your style.

Maria Ressa.

4. #2839 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Hello moon,

Sure. I'll refrain from interfering with your style.
    Always appreciated. I do, however, reserve the right to speak up for manners and fairness from time to time. I do try not to wear it out.
    Personal Ignore Policy PIP: I like civil discourse. I will give you all the respect in the world if you respect me. Mouth off to me, or express overt racism, you will be PERMANENTLY Ignore Listed. Zero tolerance. No exceptions. I'll never read a word you write, even if quoted by another, nor respond to you, nor participate in your threads. ... Ignore the shallow. Cherish the thoughtful. Long Live Civil Discourse, Mutual Respect, and Good Debate! ps: Feel free to adopt my PIP. It works well.

5. #2840 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Hello moon,

Always appreciated. I do, however, reserve the right to speak up for manners and fairness from time to time. I do try not to wear it out.
    Fine. It's always been my policy to make proportional responses.

Maria Ressa.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to moon For This Post:

PoliTalker (04-11-2021)

7. #2841 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Hello moon,

Fine. It's always been my policy to make proportional responses.
    I think that's quite common. I noticed years ago there is a thing about smiling. When you acknowledge a stranger with eye contact, or even an acquaintance, say passing by. Nothing need be said when two people are in close proximity and look at one another. Maybe going opposite directions. And in such instances, they usually just look away again and go on about their business. But if one person smiles at the moment when eyes meet, the other is more likely to smile back.

But if that first person didn't smile, then the other would not smile either because they don't usually initiate it.

That means if you are the person who smiles first, without first seeing the other person smile, then you are more likely to get others to smile back at you. (A good reason to initiate it!)

But if you never initiate a smile, then you will see fewer smiles.

Of course, you are going out on a limb by smiling first. If the other person is not in a mood to smile, you will get no smile back. Then you might feel like a fool for smiling and getting nothing out of it. But what is really lost? So what if you feel goofy for a moment? Is that such a bad thing?

I don't think so. Especially if others are subsequently encountered who do return the smile. That makes it all better.

So I like to try to draw those smiles out. Even though I know that a lot of those smiles I would never get if I didn't prompt them.

I'm really just looking for the 'proportional response.'

8. #2842 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

It's a tad dangerous for women to go around smiling first. It shouldn't be- but there you are. That's just one example of the politics of smiling . Then there might be reactions to smiles from the orthodontically-challenged. Smiles, of course, can be tailored to express many different emotions, facial muscles being capable almost of a language of their own- so I'm a little skeptical of what you appear to be offering as a generalized and benign smile - unless that is what is intended . External temperature can also influence how smiles are constructed . It's freezing here today.
    It's worth adding that we're all learning to smile with our eyes these days. There's probably an ongoing study into that.

Maria Ressa.

9. #2843 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Hello moon,

It's a tad dangerous for women to go around smiling first. It shouldn't be- but there you are. That's just one example of the politics of smiling . Then there might be reactions to smiles from the orthodontically-challenged. Smiles, of course, can be tailored to express many different emotions, facial muscles being capable almost of a language of their own- so I'm a little skeptical of what you appear to be offering as a generalized and benign smile - unless that is what is intended . External temperature can also influence how smiles are constructed . It's freezing here today.
    It's worth adding that we're all learning to smile with our eyes these days. There's probably an ongoing study into that.
    The prominent reason there might be any danger for women to initiate a smile of acknowledgement and well wishes is because it does not happen frequently enough. My contention would be that if it were commonplace then nobody would be prompted to read anything into it which wasn't intended. Sure, there are poorly adjusted men out there who might misinterpret a friendly acknowledgment, so it is certainly a subjective gesture. And it also has to do with context and setting. Woman has far less to fear in a crowded daytime place with law enforcement or security around then she might in deserted nighttime situation where there are only just the two people.

It's a statement of self confidence if a woman feels comfortable enough to adeptly read the surroundings and allow such pleasantries to occur without a second thought.

Having a habit of being so cold and aloof that one cannot even acknowledge the presence of another results in a world of estrangement, perhaps adding to the general feelings of loneliness, making the world a colder place, and driving some to extremism. It is well known that many extremists are only in it for the attention of other extremists because they feel left out of society.

It all gets back to karma. You get back the same energy that you put out. People need to feel included as part of the great human collective. Some of the ones who don't could even turn into mass shooters.

10. #2844 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Sunday

4-11

Total Cases

USA 31,918,601

New Cases +47,874

Total Deaths 575,829

New Deaths +276

Total Recovered 24,480,522

Active Cases 6,862,250

Serious, Critical 9,172

Tot Cases/1M pop 95,993

Deaths/1M pop 1,732

Total Tests 419,387,504

Tests/1M pop 1,261,275

11. The Following User Says Thank You to PoliTalker For This Post:

moon (04-12-2021)

12. #2845 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,766 Times in 7,268 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,060 Times in 1,005 Posts

Who has both shots already?
    Are you beginning to notice that the extent of the shit you're giving is diminishing?

The shots seem to be keeping up with the mutations.
    The mutations, meanwhile, are really out to kill he anti-vaxxers.
    How is this not a win-win?
    Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel. Samuel Johnson, 1775
    Religion....is the opiate of the people. Karl Marx, 1848
    Freedom's just another word for nothin' left to lose. Kris Kristofferson, 1969

13. #2846 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Monday

4-12

USA

Total Cases 31,990,143

New Cases +56,522

Total Deaths 576,298

New Deaths +460

Total Recovered 24,560,856

Active Cases 6,852,989

Serious, Critical 9,321

Tot Cases/1M pop 96,206

Deaths/1M pop 1,733

Total Tests 420,822,699

Tests/1M pop 1,265,571

14. The Following User Says Thank You to PoliTalker For This Post:

moon (04-13-2021)

15. #2847 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Noted rise in Serious, Critical Cases in the USA.

The World is having a new wave so bad it appears to be about to surpass the previous peak over 750K New Cases per day:

Screenshot_2021-04-13 Coronavirus Update (Live) 137,340,422 Cases and 2,961,423 Deaths from COVI.jpg

(Click to enlarge)

16. The Following User Says Thank You to PoliTalker For This Post:

moon (04-13-2021)

17. #2848 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

The USA still has far more cases than any other country.

Almost triple.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to PoliTalker For This Post:

moon (04-13-2021)

19. #2849 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Tuesday

4-13

USA

Total Cases 32,070,784

New Cases +77,720

Total Deaths 577,179

New Deaths +819

Total Recovered 24,626,410

Active Cases 6,867,195

Serious, Critical 9,505

Tot Cases/1M pop 96,447

Deaths/1M pop 1,736

Total Tests 422,126,761

Tests/1M pop 1,269,472

20. The Following User Says Thank You to PoliTalker For This Post:

moon (04-15-2021)

21. #2850 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Wednesday

4-14

USA

Total Cases 32,149,660

New Cases +78,876

Total Deaths 578,098

New Deaths +921

Total Recovered 24,696,161

Active Cases 6,875,401

Serious, Critical 9,676

Tot Cases/1M pop 96,683

Deaths/1M pop 1,739

Total Tests 423,439,379

Tests/1M pop 1,273,399

22. The Following User Says Thank You to PoliTalker For This Post:

moon (04-15-2021)