Thread: Corona Virus Peak Watch Thread

1. #1 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,095 Times in 13,072 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,908 Times in 5,169 Posts
    Blog Entries

Default Corona Virus Peak Watch Thread

Our prez has talked about this being the worst week of the pandemic for the USA.

We know better than to just believe everything he says, so let's try to find some real answers.

Here is a site with up to date statistics:

Worldometer

We can scroll down and see the US statistics for ACTIVE CASES and NEW DEATHS.

These are the figures which will tell us when we have reached 2 important peaks in the pandemic.

When people test positive, that data is added to the ACTIVE CASES.

When people either die or recover, they are removed from the ACTIVE CASES.

NEW DEATHS is the deaths per day for that day.

We will first see a peak in the ACTIVE CASES, followed by the peak in the NEW DEATHS.

That means we can watch these numbers change and know when we have reached those peaks.

Currently, the figures are:

ACTIVE CASES 420,611.

NEW DEATHS 1,656.

Let's try to post the daily numbers so we can watch the trends and we will know when the peaks have been reached for the entire USA.
    Personal Ignore Policy PIP: I like civil discourse. I will give you all the respect in the world if you respect me. Mouth off to me, or express overt racism, you will be PERMANENTLY Ignore Listed. Zero tolerance. No exceptions. I'll never read a word you write, even if quoted by another, nor respond to you, nor participate in your threads. ... Ignore the shallow. Cherish the thoughtful. Long Live Civil Discourse, Mutual Respect, and Good Debate! ps: Feel free to adopt my PIP. It works well.

2. The Following User Groans At PoliTalker For This Awful Post:

Earl (04-11-2020)

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PoliTalker For This Post:

domer76 (04-11-2020), Phantasmal (04-25-2020)

4. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Let's just record the overall numbers for today:

USA

Total Cases 462,180

New Cases +27,253

Total Deaths 16,444

New Deaths +1,656

Total Recovered 25,125

Active Cases 420,611

Serious,Critical 9,823

Tot Cases/1M pop 1,396

Deaths/1M pop 50

Total Tests 2,343,565

Tests/1M pop 7,080
    Personal Ignore Policy PIP: I like civil discourse. I will give you all the respect in the world if you respect me. Mouth off to me, or express overt racism, you will be PERMANENTLY Ignore Listed. Zero tolerance. No exceptions. I'll never read a word you write, even if quoted by another, nor respond to you, nor participate in your threads. ... Ignore the shallow. Cherish the thoughtful. Long Live Civil Discourse, Mutual Respect, and Good Debate! ps: Feel free to adopt my PIP. It works well.

5. The Following User Groans At PoliTalker For This Awful Post:

Earl (04-11-2020)

6. #3 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Who was it, a while ago? Was arguing that the USA had a real low Cases Per Million?

At that time it was only about 215 cases per million.

Now it's up to 1,396.

Yeah.

We don't hear that argument any more.

Went away just as fast as that argument about it being 'just like the flu.'

7. The Following User Groans At PoliTalker For This Awful Post:

Earl (04-11-2020)

8. The Following User Says Thank You to PoliTalker For This Post:

domer76 (04-11-2020)

9. #4 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,511 Times in 4,834 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,798 Times in 1,605 Posts
    Blog Entries

I want it to be a peak and drop, not just flatten. But I do NOT trust TRUMP to NOT fuck it up! MNUCHIN said we'll look at reopening in may. THE FED CHAIR SAID EXACTLY OPPOSITE. Whether he wanted to TAMP down Mnuchin's uncautious words or spoke happen to be speaking this AM, I haven't a clue.
    WK1 3/28-/4 _Cases 301k--Dead 18.1k Lethality 2.72%
    WK2 4/5-/13 _Cases 555k--Dead 22.1K Lethality 3.9%
    WK3 4/20-/21 Cases 774k -Dead 37.2K Lethality 4.8%
    WK4 4/22-/29 Cases 1M --Dead 58.8K Lethality 5.9%
    WK5 5/1-/8__ Cases 1.3M -Dead 75.7K Lethality 6.1%
    WK6 5/9-16__Cases 1.4M --Dead 85.8K Lethality 6.1%
    WK7 5/17-24_Cases 1.7M - Dead 97.6K Lethality 5.9%
    WK8 5/28 Cases 1.7M - DEAD 101.2K - Same

10. The Following User Groans At Centerleftfl For This Awful Post:

Earl (04-11-2020)

11. #5 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,173 Times in 7,087 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,196 Times in 1,111 Posts

I wish us all the best of luck now!

Virus's have a way of sticking around. In fact, there are even a few cases of the Bubonic Plague that shows up somewhere in the world every year. You know, the plague that ended up killing 1/3rd the population of Europe back in the 1200's.

But, what you try to do is to Box these viruses in, much like we did with the Ebola, SARS, MERS etc. I'm not sure that you can even do that with this one now. EVEN AFTER A VACCINE becomes available. Because unfortunately, WE let this one get out and spread to every corner of the world. One of the disgraces of this current administration who did nothing to prevent the spread of this horrible killer until it was way too late.

Well, because you just can't make everyone get a vaccination every year, under our current law. And even if it became mandatory to get the vaccine- not everybody follows the law! You know- People like Donald Trump for just one example!

So, unfortunately there are going to be spikes, waves, peaks, and valley's with this one probably forever now.

It'll probably change the way we socialize with others from now on. If the joint comes your way at the next concert you go to, you may want to just lean back and let it go to the next guy! And then there will always be those people that are going to be still wearing those masks everywhere they go, and I suppose it is really going to stand out at some point.

I am just hopeful, that some day, I can go Krogering and find toilet paper available again.

Oh, and here we go, NO PREMARITAL SEX ANYMORE PEOPLE! OH NO! That will never work! LOL!
    Last edited by Geeko Sportivo; 04-09-2020 at 04:41 PM.

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Geeko Sportivo For This Post:

domer76 (04-11-2020), PoliTalker (04-09-2020), ThatOwlWoman (04-10-2020), Tranquillus in Exile (04-11-2020)

13. #6 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Hello Centerleftfl,

Quote Originally Posted by Centerleftfl View Post
    I want it to be a peak and drop, not just flatten. But I do NOT trust TRUMP to NOT fuck it up! MNUCHIN said we'll look at reopening in may. THE FED CHAIR SAID EXACTLY OPPOSITE. Whether he wanted to TAMP down Mnuchin's uncautious words or spoke happen to be speaking this AM, I haven't a clue.
    They can do whatever they want.

I am not going into crowds until there is a vaccine.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to PoliTalker For This Post:

ThatOwlWoman (04-10-2020)

15. #7 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Hello and welcome Geeko Sportivo,

Quote Originally Posted by Geeko Sportivo View Post
    I wish us all the best of luck now!

Virus's have a way of sticking around. In fact, there are even a few cases of the Bubonic Plague that shows up somewhere in the world every year. You know, the plague that ended up killing 1/3rd the population of Europe back in the 1200's.

But, what you try to do is to Box these viruses in, much like we did with the Ebola, SARS, MERS etc. and I'm not sure that you can even do that with this one now, EVEN AFTER A VACCINE becomes available because unfortunately WE let this one get out and spread to every corner of the world. One of the disgraces of this current administration who did nothing to prevent the spread of this horrible killer until it was way too late.

Well, because you just can't make everyone get a vaccination every year, under our current law. And even if it became mandatory to get the vaccine- not everybody follows the law! You know- People like Donald Trump!

So, unfortunately there are going to be spikes, waves, peaks, and valley's with this one probably forever now.

It'll probably change the way we socialize with others from now on. If the joint comes your way at the next concert you go to, you may want to just lean back and let it go to the next guy! And then there will always be those people that are going to be still wearing those masks everywhere they go, and I suppose it is really going to stand out at some point.

I am just hopeful, that some day, I can go Krogering and find toilet paper available again.

Oh, and here we go, NO PREMARITAL SEX ANYMORE PEOPLE! OH NO! That will never work! LOL!
    Good observations.

Actually, I could resume entering crowds again if I get the disease and survive it, and of course all the restrictions have been dropped.

I presume what will happen will be eventually so many will have had it and survived that things will open back up again, but it can be assumed that everyone in crowds has already had it. It will be an enter at your own risk sort of scenario. Crowds will become generally younger.

16. The Following User Groans At PoliTalker For This Awful Post:

Earl (04-18-2020)

17. #8 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,145 Times in 10,539 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,987 Times in 2,752 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Centerleftfl View Post
    Trump wants to march out with giant scissors and open the USA on May day and claim victory with pomp and circumstance playing and confetti and adoring minions, facts and consequences be damned..

18. The Following User Groans At Micawber For This Awful Post:

Earl (04-11-2020)

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Micawber For This Post:

ThatOwlWoman (04-10-2020)

20. #9 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Here's the numbers for today:

4-10-20

USA

Total Cases 496,556

New Cases +27,990

Total Deaths 18,498

New Deaths +1,807

Total Recovered 26,822

Active Cases 451,236

Serious, Critical 10,906

Tot Cases/1M pop 1,500

Deaths/1M pop 56

Total Tests 2,519,629

Tests/1M pop 7,612
    Last edited by PoliTalker; 04-11-2020 at 04:00 PM.

21. #10 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Looking at the New Cases over the two days of this thread so far, we can see that there are more new cases for today than for yesterday.

Also, there are more New Deaths today than there were yesterday.

We have not reached the peak of either curve.

We would expect to see the New Cases peak first, followed by the New Deaths.

22. #11 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 82,519 Times in 52,737 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,657 Times in 4,376 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PoliTalker View Post
    They can do whatever they want.

I am not going into crowds until there is a vaccine.
    Same here. I am rethinking the classes I signed up for in the fall semester as well.
    "Conservatism is the blind and fear-filled worship of dead radicals." -- Mark Twain

23. The Following User Says Thank You to ThatOwlWoman For This Post:

PoliTalker (04-10-2020)

24. #12 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 82,519 Times in 52,737 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,657 Times in 4,376 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Micawber View Post
    Trump wants to march out with giant scissors and open the USA on May day and claim victory with pomp and circumstance playing and confetti and adoring minions, facts and consequences be damned..
    It's all part of the New Republican Values(tm). Precious, precious fetuses are sacred. Existing human life... meh.
    "Conservatism is the blind and fear-filled worship of dead radicals." -- Mark Twain

25. The Following User Groans At ThatOwlWoman For This Awful Post:

Earl (04-11-2020)

26. The Following User Says Thank You to ThatOwlWoman For This Post:

PoliTalker (04-10-2020)

27. #13 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 32,101 Times in 21,165 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,307 Times in 1,235 Posts

WV checking in at 5 deaths.

Peak: Easter Sunday.
    Coup has started. First of many steps. Impeachment will follow ultimately~WB attorney Mark Zaid, January 2017

28. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Darth Omar For This Post:

Earl (04-11-2020), Life is Golden (04-28-2020)

29. #14 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 32,101 Times in 21,165 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,307 Times in 1,235 Posts

Somebody needs to come down here and teach these hillbillies how to count COVID deaths lol.
    Coup has started. First of many steps. Impeachment will follow ultimately~WB attorney Mark Zaid, January 2017

30. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Darth Omar For This Post:

Earl (04-11-2020), Life is Golden (04-28-2020)

31. #15 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Hello Darth,

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Omar View Post
    WV checking in at 5 deaths.

Peak: Easter Sunday.
    I'm glad it's that low. Hopefully it will stay there.

But seriously, we are familiar with your exaggerated downplay from the 'Corona Deaths Explode To 61' thread.

Here's a song to celebrate that infamous thread for Easter weekend...

32. The Following User Groans At PoliTalker For This Awful Post:

Earl (04-11-2020)

33. The Following User Says Thank You to PoliTalker For This Post:

domer76 (04-11-2020)