Thread: Trump’s hopes for a rapid economic recovery are likely a pipe dream

1. #1 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,916 Times in 6,548 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,882 Times in 1,756 Posts
    Blog Entries

Default Trump’s hopes for a rapid economic recovery are likely a pipe dream

President Donald Trump is hoping to reopen the American economy in May and quickly get back to the low unemployment rates that he used to justify his claim that he’d created the “best economy” in history.

However, economists who spoke with Vox think that Trump’s vision of a rapid V-shaped economic recovery amid the COVID-19 pandemic are simply a pipe dream.

“The very best case scenario is we rapidly bounce back and we get close to something where we were before,” said Jesse Edgerton, an economist at JPMorgan. “Personally, I think that’s highly unlikely. The shock from the virus is going to trigger a broader economy-wide recession.”

Greg Daco, chief U.S. economist at Oxford Economics, predicted that there would be “permanent damage” inflicted upon the economy that would further widen the gulf between rich and poor Americans.

“What this shock is doing is exacerbating preexisting inequality issues across the country,” he said. “The individuals who have been hit the hardest are the individuals who were in the most precarious position to start with.”

Claudia Sahm, director of macroeconomic policy at the Washington Center for Equitable Growth, similarly said that people who worked at low-wage jobs will face the biggest struggles to recover.

“Wages are going to come out of the recovery worse than they were,” Sahm said. “Everything is going to be worse for workers who went into the recession in the most fragile position and there are a lot of them

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to floridafan For This Post:

Guno צְבִי (04-10-2020), PoliTalker (04-09-2020), Trumpet (04-09-2020)

3. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,936 Times in 2,054 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 948 Times in 862 Posts

Employment will recover when demand does. People buying products is what makes a company thrive. When this ends, the people will not have money and some that do, will not likely be blowing it. This will probably be a slow recovery.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Gonzomin For This Post:

PoliTalker (04-09-2020)

5. #3 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 50,287 Times in 27,095 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,975 Times in 2,692 Posts

As per usual, a Democratic president is going to have to clean up the carnage left by a Republican president

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Cypress For This Post:

Guno צְבִי (04-10-2020), jimmymccready (04-10-2020), Phantasmal (04-09-2020), PoliTalker (04-09-2020)

7. #4 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,432 Times in 1,124 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 158 Times in 148 Posts

All my employees are working daily .... we gave them masks .

And every place I shop is open for business as usual . JS

8. #5 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,095 Times in 13,072 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,908 Times in 5,169 Posts
    Blog Entries

No, the economy is not bouncing right back. Sports, the entertainment sector, restaurants and the tourist industry are not about to come bouncing right back because there is no magic date when we can say we are past the peak, it's OK to gather in big crowds, again. That cannot happen until there is widespread inoculation with an effective tested vaccine.

None of that part of the economy is coming back for a long time.

And all those people who work in those industries are going to be either scraping by on savings, shifting to other types of work, or on the government dole.

Many of them are going to be losing homes, defaulting on debts.

They are not going to have lots of money to spend to create demand. Nor will they be paying a lot of taxes on money made.

All of that is going to hurt the economy.

No way it is bouncing back to what it was any time soon.
    Personal Ignore Policy PIP: I like civil discourse. I will give you all the respect in the world if you respect me. Mouth off to me, or express overt racism, you will be PERMANENTLY Ignore Listed. Zero tolerance. No exceptions. I'll never read a word you write, even if quoted by another, nor respond to you, nor participate in your threads. ... Ignore the shallow. Cherish the thoughtful. Long Live Civil Discourse, Mutual Respect, and Good Debate! ps: Feel free to adopt my PIP. It works well.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PoliTalker For This Post:

jimmymccready (04-10-2020), Tranquillus in Exile (04-10-2020)

10. #6 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,095 Times in 13,072 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,908 Times in 5,169 Posts
    Blog Entries

Been to a craft show lately?

Nobody is going to go to a big crowd and go milling around looking at booths.

All of that part of the economy just died, and it will not be back until there is a vaccine.

Any region that tries to ignore this reality and has a big event will see a big spike in cases, hospitalizations and deaths a few weeks later.
    Personal Ignore Policy PIP: I like civil discourse. I will give you all the respect in the world if you respect me. Mouth off to me, or express overt racism, you will be PERMANENTLY Ignore Listed. Zero tolerance. No exceptions. I'll never read a word you write, even if quoted by another, nor respond to you, nor participate in your threads. ... Ignore the shallow. Cherish the thoughtful. Long Live Civil Discourse, Mutual Respect, and Good Debate! ps: Feel free to adopt my PIP. It works well.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PoliTalker For This Post:

Guno צְבִי (04-10-2020), Phantasmal (04-09-2020)

12. #7 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

People are at home watching TV .... and restaurants are busy with take out .

13. #8 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Let us know when Covid19 deaths equal H1N1 deaths .....

14. #9 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Loving91390 View Post
    All my employees are working daily .... we gave them masks .

And every place I shop is open for business as usual . JS
    What do you think that proved according to the thread?

15. #10 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 19 Times in 19 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by PoliTalker View Post
    Any region that tries to ignore this reality and has a big event will see a big spike in cases, hospitalizations and deaths a few weeks later.
    The offer that can not be refused is ... losing your insurance coverage.

Any country that is NOT beholding to other countries can ignore the warnings ---but each is beholding to the other.

Playing chicken with a phantom knife will make everyone flinch. It ripples through the crowd.

Who's money trail should be examined?

16. #11 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,338 Times in 2,286 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 633 Times in 549 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by floridafan View Post
    President Donald Trump is hoping to reopen the American economy in May and quickly get back to the low unemployment rates that he used to justify his claim that he’d created the “best economy” in history.

However, economists who spoke with Vox think that Trump’s vision of a rapid V-shaped economic recovery amid the COVID-19 pandemic are simply a pipe dream.

“The very best case scenario is we rapidly bounce back and we get close to something where we were before,” said Jesse Edgerton, an economist at JPMorgan. “Personally, I think that’s highly unlikely. The shock from the virus is going to trigger a broader economy-wide recession.”

Greg Daco, chief U.S. economist at Oxford Economics, predicted that there would be “permanent damage” inflicted upon the economy that would further widen the gulf between rich and poor Americans.

“What this shock is doing is exacerbating preexisting inequality issues across the country,” he said. “The individuals who have been hit the hardest are the individuals who were in the most precarious position to start with.”

Claudia Sahm, director of macroeconomic policy at the Washington Center for Equitable Growth, similarly said that people who worked at low-wage jobs will face the biggest struggles to recover.

“Wages are going to come out of the recovery worse than they were,” Sahm said. “Everything is going to be worse for workers who went into the recession in the most fragile position and there are a lot of them
    Things will only bounce back when people feel safe to go about. Until then you won't have anyone going to shows or out to dinner other than a carry-out even if stay in place ends. People's money is going to supplies. Many have been doing what is being told know long before things got serious.

17. #12 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

There are many millions of people who have lost their jobs. They will not have the money to resume spending when the Covid threat ends. Is there anyone who does not think Trump will open too soon and people will die?
    The economy recovers via demand and people without money do not generate it. It will be a slow process and there is no guarantee it will ever fully recover.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Gonzomin For This Post:

Guno צְבִי (04-10-2020)

19. #13 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 23,545 Times in 14,029 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,451 Times in 1,370 Posts
    Blog Entries

‘We’re Heading Into A Great Depression’

We’re not going to go back the way it was,” said Bridgewater Associates founder Ray Dalio in the virtual TED talk. “We’re going to restructure our economy and restructure our financial system” over the next couple of years in order to recover.
    Ray Dalio’s Bridgewater Associates has $160 billion in assets under management, making Dalio the 46th richest person in the world with an $18 billion net worth.
    Dalio’s biggest worry is that restructuring will not be done in a civil, bipartisan way to “both increase the size of the pie and divide it well,” warning of partisan politics preventing effective solutions, “damaging”—rather than repairing—the economy.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/alexand.../#3f5bde8e7c83
    “If we have to have a choice between being dead and pitied, and being alive with a bad image, we’d rather be alive and have the bad image.”

— Golda Meir

Zionism is the movement for the self-determination and statehood for the Jewish people in their ancestral homeland, the land of Israel.

ברוך השם

20. #14 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Gonzomin View Post
    What do you think that proved according to the thread?
    That you are a liar .....