Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Why Are So Many Americans in Prison?

1. #31 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 54,769 Times in 33,632 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,065 Times in 4,683 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by countryboy View Post
    Yes, for those afflicted with Orange Man Bad Syndrome. I understand. Stable geniuses such as myself criticize the President when warranted, but not in the irrational manner of OMBS sufferers like you.
    Sigh

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Phantasmal For This Post:

countryboy (04-08-2020)

3. #32 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,812 Times in 6,202 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 493 Times in 469 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Phantasmal View Post
    Sigh
    Agreed, lol. I'm mostly just messing with you, I wish you'd lighten up sometimes. I have to try and go to work, have a nice day, stay safe.
    Every life matters

4. #33 | Top
    Living in rural America, "clinging to guns and religion"
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,512 Times in 16,974 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 522 Times in 502 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Phantasmal View Post
    Criticizing Trump isn’t a syndrome. It is an obligation. It’s a necessity.
    That's because you cannot decipher the difference between the good and the bad. For the likes of you (and so many other posters here), it's ALWAYS

because you're programmed to hate. You know no better...
    Common sense is not a gift, it's a punishment because you have to deal with everyone who doesn't have it.

5. #34 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,856 Times in 8,415 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,290 Times in 2,172 Posts
    Blog Entries

Yes, for those afflicted with Orange Man Bad Syndrome. I understand. Stable geniuses such as myself criticize the President when warranted, but not in the irrational manner of OMBS sufferers like you.
    OMG, you've got problems.

6. #35 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,360 Times in 14,088 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 649 Times in 616 Posts

Not all laws are just, and it makes no sense to have such a huge prison population.
    Agreed. Throwing more people behind bars ultimately does more long term damage than good. And like you said earlier the war on drugs has not been a success other than ruining a lot of lives.

For the sake of discussion I'll throw this out there. In SF we reduced the charge of stealing items under $1K from felony to misdemeanor and often they aren't even pursued anymore. As a result there are people brazenly breaking into stores during the middle of the day stealing things because they don't fear repercussions. So I admit to somewhat of a conundrum. Harsh jail sentences isn't really the answer but there has to be fear of breaking the law as well.

And we have a huge opioid and drug crisis in our City. People regularly doing drugs on the open streets, people dying in the streets of overdoses and brazen drug dealing in broad daylight. Again, I'm with you in that the War on Drugs has been a failure so using the harsh methods we have in the past isn't the answer. But when you this stuff on a daily basis you know it's not ok.

There's no easy answer I know. And its far more than Republicans and Democrats bitching back and forth at each other.

7. #36 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,931 Times in 5,908 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 444 Times in 424 Posts
    Blog Entries

Just about everyone breaks the law every day without even knowing it. Just because we are a nation of control freaks, doesn't make it right.
    If you disagree with the laws, change them. Otherwise obey or roll the dice.
    "Those who vote decide nothing. Those who count the vote decide everything." Joseph Stalin
    The USA has lost WWIV to China with no other weapons but China Virus and some cash to buy democrats.

8. #37 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by cawacko View Post
    Agreed. Throwing more people behind bars ultimately does more long term damage than good. And like you said earlier the war on drugs has not been a success other than ruining a lot of lives.

For the sake of discussion I'll throw this out there. In SF we reduced the charge of stealing items under $1K from felony to misdemeanor and often they aren't even pursued anymore. As a result there are people brazenly breaking into stores during the middle of the day stealing things because they don't fear repercussions. So I admit to somewhat of a conundrum. Harsh jail sentences isn't really the answer but there has to be fear of breaking the law as well.

And we have a huge opioid and drug crisis in our City. People regularly doing drugs on the open streets, people dying in the streets of overdoses and brazen drug dealing in broad daylight. Again, I'm with you in that the War on Drugs has been a failure so using the harsh methods we have in the past isn't the answer. But when you this stuff on a daily basis you know it's not ok.

There's no easy answer I know. And its far more than Republicans and Democrats bitching back and forth at each other.
    You make some extremely valid points. You're right, there are no easy solutions. But one thing is certain, the so-called war on drugs has been wholly ineffective. And even in places like California, who have legalized marijuana, have done so in such a manner that it is heavily taxed and highly regulated. This has done little to stem the black market trade. Which in my opinion, is the whole idea of legalization, to choke off the money flowing into the criminal element. Any policy which doesn't achieve that, is a failure as far as I'm concerned. Furthermore, the vast sums of money wasted on drug enforcement, could be much better used for rehabilitation, and combating violent criminals. Encouraging petty theft also is not a good thing. it's a well-known fact that, many of the people who pull off these petty crimes, are the same people who commit a lot of the violent crime.
    Every life matters

9. The Following User Says Thank You to countryboy For This Post:

cawacko (04-08-2020)

10. #38 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Celticguy View Post
    If you disagree with the laws, change them. Otherwise obey or roll the dice.
    That's all well and good, that doesn't mean I'm going to sit here and pretend our prison systems, law enforcement, and incarceration rates are hunky-dory. And having a cavalier attitude toward these things, doesn't do anyone any good.
    Every life matters

11. #39 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,131 Times in 9,660 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 504 Times in 477 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Granule View Post

The truth is racist.

-- The Left
    totalitarian mindset combined with privatized prisons incentivizing incarceration with profit motive.

fascism basically.

12. #40 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

private prisons corrupting government with money earned off state slavery is the main thing.

13. #41 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

That's all well and good, that doesn't mean I'm going to sit here and pretend our prison systems, law enforcement, and incarceration rates are hunky-dory. And having a cavalier attitude toward these things, doesn't do anyone any good.
    prison industrial complex.

14. #42 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,360 Times in 14,088 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 649 Times in 616 Posts

You make some extremely valid points. You're right, there are no easy solutions. But one thing is certain, the so-called war on drugs has been wholly ineffective. And even in places like California, who have legalized marijuana, have done so in such a manner that it is heavily taxed and highly regulated. This has done little to stem the black market trade. Which in my opinion, is the whole idea of legalization, to choke off the money flowing into the criminal element. Any policy which doesn't achieve that, is a failure as far as I'm concerned. Furthermore, the vast sums of money wasted on drug enforcement, could be much better used for rehabilitation, and combating violent criminals. Encouraging petty theft also is not a good thing. it's a well-known fact that, many of the people who pull off these petty crimes, are the same people who commit a lot of the violent crime.
    I hear you and am with on the weed thing. I don't know if legalization or decriminalization are the same thing or not but we need it for reasons you stated. And you are correct about California, the black market has still flourished because of the high cost of legal weed.
    Last edited by cawacko; 04-08-2020 at 10:40 AM.

15. #43 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by AssHatZombie View Post
    prison industrial complex.
    Yep. It's good work if you can get it.
    Every life matters

16. #44 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by cawacko View Post
    I hear you and am with on the weed thing. I don't know if legalization or decriminalization are the same thing or not but we need it for reasons you stated. And you are correct about California, the black has still flourished because of the high cost of legal weed.
    too bad deep state includes cartel interests, which perpetuate the war on drugs to keep prices high.

17. #45 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,176 Times in 7,089 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,196 Times in 1,111 Posts

The real question is why are so many people tied to the Trump Campaign in prison?