Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 147

Thread: Why Are So Many Americans in Prison?

  1. #31 | Top
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    48,526
    Thanks
    62,685
    Thanked 28,117 Times in 18,413 Posts
    Groans
    2,007
    Groaned 3,044 Times in 2,841 Posts
    Blog Entries
    6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by countryboy View Post
    Yes, for those afflicted with Orange Man Bad Syndrome. I understand. Stable geniuses such as myself criticize the President when warranted, but not in the irrational manner of OMBS sufferers like you.
    Sigh
    kag: to choke something down in disgust

    Keep America Gagging

  2. The Following User Says Thank You to Phantasmal For This Post:

    countryboy (04-08-2020)

  3. #32 | Top
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Posts
    13,324
    Thanks
    2,317
    Thanked 8,423 Times in 5,933 Posts
    Groans
    554
    Groaned 477 Times in 454 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Phantasmal View Post
    Sigh
    Agreed, lol. I'm mostly just messing with you, I wish you'd lighten up sometimes. I have to try and go to work, have a nice day, stay safe.
    Liberalism always generates the exact opposite of its stated intent

  4. #33 | Top
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    Living in rural America "clinging to my God and Guns"
    Posts
    16,178
    Thanks
    2,234
    Thanked 10,174 Times in 7,362 Posts
    Groans
    95
    Groaned 229 Times in 219 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Phantasmal View Post
    Criticizing Trump isn’t a syndrome. It is an obligation. It’s a necessity.
    That's because you cannot decipher the difference between the good and the bad. For the likes of you (and so many other posters here), it's ALWAYS



    because you're programmed to hate. You know no better...
    Common sense is not a gift, it's a punishment because you have to deal with everyone who doesn't have it.

  5. #34 | Top
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Posts
    7,309
    Thanks
    13,421
    Thanked 2,835 Times in 2,043 Posts
    Groans
    10
    Groaned 1,140 Times in 1,051 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by countryboy View Post
    Yes, for those afflicted with Orange Man Bad Syndrome. I understand. Stable geniuses such as myself criticize the President when warranted, but not in the irrational manner of OMBS sufferers like you.
    OMG, you've got problems.

  6. #35 | Top
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    55,177
    Thanks
    3,408
    Thanked 16,675 Times in 11,558 Posts
    Groans
    2
    Groaned 608 Times in 575 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by countryboy View Post
    Not all laws are just, and it makes no sense to have such a huge prison population.
    Agreed. Throwing more people behind bars ultimately does more long term damage than good. And like you said earlier the war on drugs has not been a success other than ruining a lot of lives.

    For the sake of discussion I'll throw this out there. In SF we reduced the charge of stealing items under $1K from felony to misdemeanor and often they aren't even pursued anymore. As a result there are people brazenly breaking into stores during the middle of the day stealing things because they don't fear repercussions. So I admit to somewhat of a conundrum. Harsh jail sentences isn't really the answer but there has to be fear of breaking the law as well.

    And we have a huge opioid and drug crisis in our City. People regularly doing drugs on the open streets, people dying in the streets of overdoses and brazen drug dealing in broad daylight. Again, I'm with you in that the War on Drugs has been a failure so using the harsh methods we have in the past isn't the answer. But when you this stuff on a daily basis you know it's not ok.

    There's no easy answer I know. And its far more than Republicans and Democrats bitching back and forth at each other.

  7. #36 | Top
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    In my house
    Posts
    12,013
    Thanks
    1,415
    Thanked 4,075 Times in 3,072 Posts
    Groans
    4
    Groaned 260 Times in 246 Posts
    Blog Entries
    3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by countryboy View Post
    Just about everyone breaks the law every day without even knowing it. Just because we are a nation of control freaks, doesn't make it right.
    If you disagree with the laws, change them. Otherwise obey or roll the dice.
    ERIC CIARAMELLA whose name may not be spoken

  8. #37 | Top
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Posts
    13,324
    Thanks
    2,317
    Thanked 8,423 Times in 5,933 Posts
    Groans
    554
    Groaned 477 Times in 454 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cawacko View Post
    Agreed. Throwing more people behind bars ultimately does more long term damage than good. And like you said earlier the war on drugs has not been a success other than ruining a lot of lives.

    For the sake of discussion I'll throw this out there. In SF we reduced the charge of stealing items under $1K from felony to misdemeanor and often they aren't even pursued anymore. As a result there are people brazenly breaking into stores during the middle of the day stealing things because they don't fear repercussions. So I admit to somewhat of a conundrum. Harsh jail sentences isn't really the answer but there has to be fear of breaking the law as well.

    And we have a huge opioid and drug crisis in our City. People regularly doing drugs on the open streets, people dying in the streets of overdoses and brazen drug dealing in broad daylight. Again, I'm with you in that the War on Drugs has been a failure so using the harsh methods we have in the past isn't the answer. But when you this stuff on a daily basis you know it's not ok.

    There's no easy answer I know. And its far more than Republicans and Democrats bitching back and forth at each other.
    You make some extremely valid points. You're right, there are no easy solutions. But one thing is certain, the so-called war on drugs has been wholly ineffective. And even in places like California, who have legalized marijuana, have done so in such a manner that it is heavily taxed and highly regulated. This has done little to stem the black market trade. Which in my opinion, is the whole idea of legalization, to choke off the money flowing into the criminal element. Any policy which doesn't achieve that, is a failure as far as I'm concerned. Furthermore, the vast sums of money wasted on drug enforcement, could be much better used for rehabilitation, and combating violent criminals. Encouraging petty theft also is not a good thing. it's a well-known fact that, many of the people who pull off these petty crimes, are the same people who commit a lot of the violent crime.
    Liberalism always generates the exact opposite of its stated intent

  9. The Following User Says Thank You to countryboy For This Post:

    cawacko (04-08-2020)

  10. #38 | Top
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Posts
    13,324
    Thanks
    2,317
    Thanked 8,423 Times in 5,933 Posts
    Groans
    554
    Groaned 477 Times in 454 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Celticguy View Post
    If you disagree with the laws, change them. Otherwise obey or roll the dice.
    That's all well and good, that doesn't mean I'm going to sit here and pretend our prison systems, law enforcement, and incarceration rates are hunky-dory. And having a cavalier attitude toward these things, doesn't do anyone any good.
    Liberalism always generates the exact opposite of its stated intent

  11. #39 | Top
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    35,583
    Thanks
    813
    Thanked 3,521 Times in 2,690 Posts
    Groans
    5
    Groaned 237 Times in 218 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Granule View Post



    The truth is racist.

    -- The Left
    totalitarian mindset combined with privatized prisons incentivizing incarceration with profit motive.

    fascism basically.
    Morality is a set of attitudes and behaviors which facilitate voluntary, cooperative and mutually beneficial relationships. --AssHatZombie

    Obamagate is Operation Crossfire Hurricane

    "AssHat rocks and is fun to have around." -- Damocles

  12. #40 | Top
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    35,583
    Thanks
    813
    Thanked 3,521 Times in 2,690 Posts
    Groans
    5
    Groaned 237 Times in 218 Posts

    Default

    private prisons corrupting government with money earned off state slavery is the main thing.
    Morality is a set of attitudes and behaviors which facilitate voluntary, cooperative and mutually beneficial relationships. --AssHatZombie

    Obamagate is Operation Crossfire Hurricane

    "AssHat rocks and is fun to have around." -- Damocles

  13. #41 | Top
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    35,583
    Thanks
    813
    Thanked 3,521 Times in 2,690 Posts
    Groans
    5
    Groaned 237 Times in 218 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by countryboy View Post
    That's all well and good, that doesn't mean I'm going to sit here and pretend our prison systems, law enforcement, and incarceration rates are hunky-dory. And having a cavalier attitude toward these things, doesn't do anyone any good.
    prison industrial complex.
    Morality is a set of attitudes and behaviors which facilitate voluntary, cooperative and mutually beneficial relationships. --AssHatZombie

    Obamagate is Operation Crossfire Hurricane

    "AssHat rocks and is fun to have around." -- Damocles

  14. #42 | Top
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    55,177
    Thanks
    3,408
    Thanked 16,675 Times in 11,558 Posts
    Groans
    2
    Groaned 608 Times in 575 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by countryboy View Post
    You make some extremely valid points. You're right, there are no easy solutions. But one thing is certain, the so-called war on drugs has been wholly ineffective. And even in places like California, who have legalized marijuana, have done so in such a manner that it is heavily taxed and highly regulated. This has done little to stem the black market trade. Which in my opinion, is the whole idea of legalization, to choke off the money flowing into the criminal element. Any policy which doesn't achieve that, is a failure as far as I'm concerned. Furthermore, the vast sums of money wasted on drug enforcement, could be much better used for rehabilitation, and combating violent criminals. Encouraging petty theft also is not a good thing. it's a well-known fact that, many of the people who pull off these petty crimes, are the same people who commit a lot of the violent crime.
    I hear you and am with on the weed thing. I don't know if legalization or decriminalization are the same thing or not but we need it for reasons you stated. And you are correct about California, the black market has still flourished because of the high cost of legal weed.
    Last edited by cawacko; 04-08-2020 at 10:40 AM.

  15. #43 | Top
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Posts
    13,324
    Thanks
    2,317
    Thanked 8,423 Times in 5,933 Posts
    Groans
    554
    Groaned 477 Times in 454 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AssHatZombie View Post
    prison industrial complex.
    Yep. It's good work if you can get it.
    Liberalism always generates the exact opposite of its stated intent

  16. #44 | Top
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    35,583
    Thanks
    813
    Thanked 3,521 Times in 2,690 Posts
    Groans
    5
    Groaned 237 Times in 218 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cawacko View Post
    I hear you and am with on the weed thing. I don't know if legalization or decriminalization are the same thing or not but we need it for reasons you stated. And you are correct about California, the black has still flourished because of the high cost of legal weed.
    too bad deep state includes cartel interests, which perpetuate the war on drugs to keep prices high.
    Morality is a set of attitudes and behaviors which facilitate voluntary, cooperative and mutually beneficial relationships. --AssHatZombie

    Obamagate is Operation Crossfire Hurricane

    "AssHat rocks and is fun to have around." -- Damocles

  17. #45 | Top
    Join Date
    Apr 2020
    Posts
    1,258
    Thanks
    214
    Thanked 473 Times in 326 Posts
    Groans
    0
    Groaned 104 Times in 96 Posts

    Default

    The real question is why are so many people tied to the Trump Campaign in prison?

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 8
    Last Post: 10-16-2018, 02:35 AM
  2. Why do 7th generation Americans call themselves African/Americans?
    By Rob Larrikin in forum Current Events Forum
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-10-2018, 04:09 PM
  3. Replies: 58
    Last Post: 03-10-2018, 02:15 PM
  4. Replies: 9
    Last Post: 12-25-2010, 12:53 PM
  5. Replies: 25
    Last Post: 06-21-2010, 11:16 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Rules

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •