Members banned from this thread: Charoite

Page 22 of 49 FirstFirst ... 1218192021222324252632 ... LastLast

Thread: The Deplorable Blue Collars, truckers, farmers, smelly Walmarters & bitter clingers

1. #316 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,761 Times in 4,510 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 185 Times in 181 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by LV426 View Post
    Ah, but you believe Clinton's response to this would have been the same as Trump's?
    I have no clue. We both know government responses all over the globe are inadequate because the problem is beyond our ability or knowledge to fix. I only know Hillary is the typical politician (same as Republicans) who will lie and cover her butt. For you to think she is any different is destroyed by your partisanship. She has a long history of such behavior.

2. #317 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

GOP-controlled Congress and the Federal Reserve are the institutions that saved the wealthy, and the devices are the low- or no-interest loans they and their pet corporations have access to that no one else does. Then, they have a half-a-trillion dollar slush fund for those same people and corporations with no Inspector General or oversight.

You're fooling yourself if you think the wealthy ever take a hit the way 16 million people have in the last three weeks, thanks to you spending the last three years normalizing this shit with your BoThSiDeRiSm.
    That money does not cover stock market losses. Your strong dislike and prejudice against wealthy affects your understanding that the wealthiest took the biggest losses in both 2008 and 2020. They may still have plenty left, but they still suffered the biggest losses. The recovery from the recession was slowed because the top 20% account for 60% of consumer spending and this took a long time to get back to normal levels.

3. #318 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Let's take a look at these people your article is talking about because the thing missing from this link are what their actual wealth is.

Bernard Arnault: Link says he "lost" $30B...but his net worth was $88B...so even with the temporary market losses, he still has $58B that he's doing nothing with.

Jeff Bezos: Link says he "lost" $18B...but his net worth was $128B...so even with the temporary market losses, he still has $110B that he's doing nothing with.

Mark Zuckerberg: Link says he "lost" $4.1B...but his net worth was $69B...so even with the temporary market losses, he still has $65B that he's doing nothing with.

Elon Musk: Link says he "lost" $4B...but his net worth was $37B...so even with the temporary market losses, he still has $33B that he's doing nothing with.

Amancio Ortega: Link says he "lost" $2.9B...but his net worth was $67B...so even with the temporary market losses, he still has $64B that he's doing nothing with.

Bill Gates: Firstly, he's been out of work for about a decade. Link says he "lost" $3.8B...but his net worth was $108B...so even with the temporary market losses, he still has $104B that he's doing nothing with.

The poor babies. Thank God they have Flash there to defend them. I'm sure they appreciate it.
    As usual, completely distorting anything I say. I did not defend anybody. I made the simple statement that the wealthiest lost the most in the stock market crash. The issue was not how much they still have but how much they lost.

Your post supported my statement--thanks.

4. #319 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,224 Times in 1,063 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 185 Times in 180 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Flash View Post
    That money does not cover stock market losses. Your strong dislike and prejudice against wealthy affects your understanding that the wealthiest took the biggest losses in both 2008 and 2020. They may still have plenty left, but they still suffered the biggest losses. The recovery from the recession was slowed because the top 20% account for 60% of consumer spending and this took a long time to get back to normal levels.
    There's a big difference between a rich person losing their 10th home.
    &
    Middle class losing their only home & going to a food pantry.

5. #320 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,145 Times in 10,539 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,987 Times in 2,752 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by WitoldPilecki View Post
    &
    Why? They both lost one home! -channeling

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Micawber For This Post:

LV426 (04-09-2020)

7. #321 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Micawber View Post
    Why? They both lost one home! -channeling
    Because one is homeless & the other is still comfortable.

8. #322 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Eh, not always true.
    There are wealthy who don't work, and just rely on stocks to generate wealth.

Also what a CEO does is mostly negative, looking to gouge the system at our expense to maximize profits & stocks.
    A great cause for outsourcing, automation, H2B Visas & Illegals hired.

Also the working poor can exist,

And yes there are many with disabilities who can't work, including Veterans.
    And those with disabilities aren't required to work for the SNAP and Medicaid. They are also entitled to Social Security disability payments and veterans also receive and medical help.

The working poor do exist and also qualify for SNAP, Medicaid, Earned Income Tax Credit, housing, WIC, Pell Grants, etc. Those already working are waived from the work requirements for SNAP and Medicaid.

The wealthy who don't work don't get SNAP and Medicaid so they aren't required to work.

9. #323 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

And those with disabilities aren't required to work for the SNAP and Medicaid. They are also entitled to Social Security disability payments and veterans also receive and medical help.

The working poor do exist and also qualify for SNAP, Medicaid, Earned Income Tax Credit, housing, WIC, Pell Grants, etc. Those already working are waived from the work requirements for SNAP and Medicaid.

The wealthy who don't work don't get SNAP and Medicaid so they aren't required to work.
    Most of your paycheck taken out go to those who shouldn't have to work.

The elderly's retirement, kids schooling, the disabled & Veterans.

I guess Repubs like picking on the elderly, children, the disabled & veterans.

10. #324 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

The system you think was so good allowed government to pick winners and losers and those corporations getting charters often had political ties to government officials. Those that had their charters pulled because they did not act in the "public interest" meant the owners supported the other political party. Regulations were often imposed to limit competition.

11. #325 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 2 Times in 2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Flush View Post
    Do they?

12. #326 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Most of your paycheck taken out go to those who shouldn't have to work.

The elderly's retirement, kids schooling, the disabled & Veterans.

I guess Repubs like picking on the elderly, children, the disabled & veterans.
    I'm not a Republican---simplistic assumption on your part. But I haven't seen Republicans cut any of those programs--they continue to grow regardless of the party in power.

13. #327 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

The system you think was so good allowed government to pick winners and losers and those corporations getting charters often had political ties to government officials. Those that had their charters pulled because they did not act in the "public interest" meant the owners supported the other political party. Regulations were often imposed to limit competition.
    Well, IDK.
    Walmart, Amazon & McDonald's are doing a lot more damage than Rockerfeller did.

Teddy Roosevelt one of the good Repubs trustbusted StandardOill by Rockerfeller.

Who's going to stand up now?

14. #328 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

&
    Of course it is, but that does not negate my statement that the wealthiest lost the most in the stock market losses in 2008 and 2020.

15. #329 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,424 Times in 10,050 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,947 Times in 2,728 Posts

And you think there is a contradiction in the wealthy paying most of the taxes and me also paying taxes? It is still a lot of money for me since I will owe about $18,000 this year. That is a lot of food stamps.
    "That's a lot of corporate welfare to preserve artificially low wages", is what you should be saying here.
    When I die, turn me into a brick and use me to cave in the skull of a fascist

16. #330 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,424 Times in 10,050 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,947 Times in 2,728 Posts

Corporations and the wealthy are at least working for their money.
    This is the funniest fucking thing you've ever written Flash, and you've written some real humdingers in your time here.
    When I die, turn me into a brick and use me to cave in the skull of a fascist