Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: We Are The People Who Care. Yeah. You Got That Right.

1. #31 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 50,286 Times in 27,094 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,975 Times in 2,692 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by PoliTalker View Post
    It's Monday morning. As I logged on here while listening to great music I thought about this wonderful medium, the internet, this chat room, how we have each of us taken the step of coming here, creating a persona, talking about politics, kicking these discussions around with no apparent purpose. But it does have purpose for us. Each of us gives something to the room, gets something from the room.

We are the people who care about what happens to the country. We listen to, watch, and read the news, try to stay in formed. We think bigger than ourselves. We think of the world and wonder where it's going, if we can have any effect on that.

We all share that interest.

My visits are very rewarding. I don't come here with hatred for anybody or anything. I come here with love and fascination for our amazing world. What we have here is SO COOL! To be HUMANS on planet EARTH! Most people never thought about how very special and cool that is. (Too bad more people don't value what we have...)

We haven't found anything like it as far as we've been able to explore the universe.

We are, as far as we know, totally unique. A blue planet surrounded by a relatively thin but very unique atmosphere which allows us all to live and thrive, fight wars, etc.

Sure places a bit of importance on taking care of the planet...

And we, here in JPP, who are willing to talk about politics, are the ones who are concerned enough to care about country and world. We all have well considered reasons for taking our positions on issues.

Most people are not very comfortable to talk about politics. They don't come to JPP, don't normally watch the news, or try to stay informed. They don't 'like it.' They just figure there's nothing they can do to have any power over what happens in the world, so they just let it go and focus their time elsewhere.

Our government derived it's original power from we, the people. Our whole country depends on people voting, yet 40% of eligible voters don't vote, and many others never even bother to register.

For the country to endure, the minimum responsibility as a citizen is to do our best to take care of our country. That means staying informed so that when we go vote, we are making decisions for well-informed reasons.

We, who talk politics, are the people who 'get it.'

That's cool.

Enjoy your day.
    Everyone has different motives for visiting this forum.

Some posters are emotionally invested in being Donald Trump's fanboy and wingman.

Some posters pursue petty grudges and are here to be titilated by gossip, unsubstantiated rumour, and innuendo about people they do not know and will never meet

Trolling seems to entertain some

I actually have had many interesting interactions and learned a lot on this forum because I gravitate to threads about public policy, foreign policy, economics, science, religion, history, philosophy.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Cypress For This Post:

Guno צְבִי (04-07-2020), PoliTalker (04-06-2020), Tacomaman (04-07-2020), ThatOwlWoman (04-06-2020)

3. #32 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,581 Times in 9,703 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,312 Times in 1,210 Posts
    Blog Entries

It's Monday morning. As I logged on here while listening to great music I thought about this wonderful medium, the internet, this chat room, how we have each of us taken the step of coming here, creating a persona, talking about politics, kicking these discussions around with no apparent purpose. But it does have purpose for us. Each of us gives something to the room, gets something from the room.

We are the people who care about what happens to the country. We listen to, watch, and read the news, try to stay in formed. We think bigger than ourselves. We think of the world and wonder where it's going, if we can have any effect on that.

We all share that interest.

My visits are very rewarding. I don't come here with hatred for anybody or anything. I come here with love and fascination for our amazing world. What we have here is SO COOL! To be HUMANS on planet EARTH! Most people never thought about how very special and cool that is. (Too bad more people don't value what we have...)

We haven't found anything like it as far as we've been able to explore the universe.

We are, as far as we know, totally unique. A blue planet surrounded by a relatively thin but very unique atmosphere which allows us all to live and thrive, fight wars, etc.

Sure places a bit of importance on taking care of the planet...

And we, here in JPP, who are willing to talk about politics, are the ones who are concerned enough to care about country and world. We all have well considered reasons for taking our positions on issues.

Most people are not very comfortable to talk about politics. They don't come to JPP, don't normally watch the news, or try to stay informed. They don't 'like it.' They just figure there's nothing they can do to have any power over what happens in the world, so they just let it go and focus their time elsewhere.

Our government derived it's original power from we, the people. Our whole country depends on people voting, yet 40% of eligible voters don't vote, and many others never even bother to register.

For the country to endure, the minimum responsibility as a citizen is to do our best to take care of our country. That means staying informed so that when we go vote, we are making decisions for well-informed reasons.

We, who talk politics, are the people who 'get it.'

That's cool.

Enjoy your day.
    Go fuck yourself, liar.

4. #33 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,095 Times in 13,072 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,908 Times in 5,169 Posts
    Blog Entries

Hello Cypress,

Quote Originally Posted by Cypress View Post

I actually have had many interesting interactions and learned a lot on this forum because I gravitate to threads about public policy, foreign policy, economics, science, religion, history, philosophy.
    Oh, totally the same experience here. I have learned so much because I read a comment and then went online to investigate it, check out the veracity, verify, etc. I see what people are talking about, then I go bone up on the subject to form my own view.

Bogus information posted here is often smashed pretty quickly. (Not that it changes any minds in those who believe in bogus stuff, who typically respond to posted facts with name-calling, insults, etc.)
    Personal Ignore Policy PIP: I like civil discourse. I will give you all the respect in the world if you respect me. Mouth off to me, or express overt racism, you will be PERMANENTLY Ignore Listed. Zero tolerance. No exceptions. I'll never read a word you write, even if quoted by another, nor respond to you, nor participate in your threads. ... Ignore the shallow. Cherish the thoughtful. Long Live Civil Discourse, Mutual Respect, and Good Debate! ps: Feel free to adopt my PIP. It works well.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to PoliTalker For This Post:

ThatOwlWoman (04-06-2020)

6. #34 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,507 Times in 1,787 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,738 Times in 1,599 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ThatOwlWoman View Post
    I saw that; what a moving talk she gave. How fortunate you are to have a leader who is capable of bringing ppl together when we most need it.
    I've always liked her, despite her nationality and her job, since, in the school cadets, I was route-lining when she made a visit. I was hanging about there three hours with nothing to do but gawp at some girls opposite who weren't interested in the uniformed me, and I was bored out of my mind - then suddenly, up came this big car, and in the back was what was then quite a pretty young woman,and she was obviously bored out of her mind too!. I suddenly realised she had a life-time of it to look forward to, and was suddenly full of a warm fellow-feeling I've never lost, as she lived through it out of an incredible sense of duty. I fear that Carlo Prince ow Wails will do very much less well.
    Last edited by Iolo/Penderyn; 04-07-2020 at 05:39 AM.

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Iolo/Penderyn For This Post:

christiefan915 (04-07-2020), PoliTalker (04-07-2020), ThatOwlWoman (04-07-2020)

8. #35 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 82,519 Times in 52,737 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,657 Times in 4,376 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Penderyn View Post
    I've always liked her, despite her nationality and her job, since, in the school cadets, I was route-lining when she made a visit. I was hanging about there three hours with nothing to do but gawp td some girls opposite who weren't interested in the uniformed me, and I was bored out of my mind - then suddenly, up came this big car, and in the back was what was then quite a pretty young woman,and she was obviously bored out of her mind too!. I suddenly realised she had a life-time of it to look forward, and was suddenly full of a warm fellow-feeling I've never lost, as she lived through it out of an incredible sense of duty. I fear that Carlo Prince ow Wails will do very much less well.
    What a wonderful story! She is a class act all the way. I liked her when I was a child because she and my mother looked so much alike. Elizabeth became ruler the same year I was born. Quite an extraordinary achievement.
    "Conservatism is the blind and fear-filled worship of dead radicals." -- Mark Twain

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ThatOwlWoman For This Post:

Iolo/Penderyn (04-07-2020), PoliTalker (04-07-2020)

10. #36 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,175 Times in 2,096 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 80 Times in 80 Posts

He said, without a trace of envy or bitterness.
    It's the "trump-cultist" in them coming through.
    Please leave your Trump 2024 signs in your yard. That way, my dog will know where to take a dump.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tacomaman For This Post:

Guno צְבִי (04-07-2020), ThatOwlWoman (04-07-2020)

12. #37 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,175 Times in 2,096 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 80 Times in 80 Posts

What a wonderful story! She is a class act all the way. I liked her when I was a child because she and my mother looked so much alike. Elizabeth became ruler the same year I was born. Quite an extraordinary achievement.
    She was cast in that role very early in life and she has lived under a microscope ever since. I am not surprised that the tRUMP "culties" do not appreciate how she has lived her life. Dignity and Class are certainly character traits foreign to trumpanzees.
    Please leave your Trump 2024 signs in your yard. That way, my dog will know where to take a dump.

13. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Tacomaman For This Post:

christiefan915 (04-07-2020), Guno צְבִי (04-07-2020), Iolo/Penderyn (04-07-2020), PoliTalker (04-07-2020), ThatOwlWoman (04-07-2020)

14. #38 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 42 Times in 34 Posts

FowlWoman,

The Queen is a traditional social Conservative. She has impeccable good manners and is the embodiment of sublime grace. She despises leftist politics, so she would not have a very high opinion of a Democrat grub like you. Of course, she would be too polite ever to say so if she happened to met you. But every political principle that you hold dear, she regards as a poison.

Yes, you are right "she is a class act all the way." But you are not, and never will be until you are old enough to have gained some kind of genuine insight into the nature of Western politics and come to realise that the left are nothing but a disreputable rabble of toxic losers/victims.

Dachshund
    Last edited by Dachshynddawg; 04-07-2020 at 06:16 AM.

15. #39 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

The world can't work if some political views are shut out. We have to allow opposing views, and we are actually wise to listen to them. We don't have to agree, but we should listen.

We must have both liberal and conservative views.

I am liberal, but I appreciate our conservative friends because having opposing views forces me to justify my own views. Actually I count on it and benefit from that. I know that good government needs to take the views of all into consideration in order to form the best policy.

It seems ridiculous to allow emotion to influence how we deal with others of opposing views. Anger and hatred are never logical. They serve no practical function in reaching a logical course of action.

Do angry people expect others to suddenly adopt their own view? That doesn't seem very likely. I can't think of anyone who holds their political view because somebody else 'forced them to' by being mean to them. Logically, the exact opposite is far more indicated. Most people would reject mean and nasty views.

What does a mean and nasty person expect the world to be? Do they really think the world will change because of their gruffness? That all opposing views will 'go away?' If that were to actually occur by some miracle, what would that new world look like? Everyone holds the same political view? Theirs? All others have been eliminated? There would be no need for disputing anything ever. Everyone would agree on what to do about everything. There would be no need for Congress. Any one person could create policy because one view would be just as good as another, all being the same.

After this utopian world of political agreement became reality then there would be no need to argue about anything. Then everything that stresses people out politically would all be resolved. There would be no need to get angry, have hatred, be mean or nasty to anyone else. Everyone would be in agreement. Nobody is to blame for anything because everyone agreed on what to do. If things came out unexpectedly, everyone would share the blame, because everybody agreed on the policy which led to an unexpected result.

Obviously, none of that is ever going to happen. That world is never happening, so what DOES the angry poster EXPECT? (Nothing, I guess. They just want to blow off steam, really. If you get into their sights, you get both barrels. That's what it is...)

Anger over politics leads to always being angry. How could the 'always angry' ever find happiness? Are they seeing pleasure through anger? Do they find it enjoyable if others experience pain or have their feelings hurt by them? Anger is clearly not happiness. Anyone who thinks the display of anger towards others leads to happiness is fooling themselves, for that is not true happiness. It is tainted with the knowledge that any pleasure derived has come at the cost of pain to others.

True happiness does not require the unhappiness of others. Good political policy leads to everyone being happy.

This complicated world of 7 billion humans requires many various political views. We, the people who care, need to allow others to hold their own view if we wish to be at our own peace with the world. We should discuss the pros and cons of various views, but we should always be respectful of others.

If we are full of anger, we can find no peace.

(just an observation from a peaceful place...)
    Personal Ignore Policy PIP: I like civil discourse. I will give you all the respect in the world if you respect me. Mouth off to me, or express overt racism, you will be PERMANENTLY Ignore Listed. Zero tolerance. No exceptions. I'll never read a word you write, even if quoted by another, nor respond to you, nor participate in your threads. ... Ignore the shallow. Cherish the thoughtful. Long Live Civil Discourse, Mutual Respect, and Good Debate! ps: Feel free to adopt my PIP. It works well.

16. #40 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

When we try to shout down opposing views, it could be that we are trying to shut them out because we fear they make more sense than our own. And we are afraid of that, afraid to be wrong.

Some people we know are very uncomfortable with admitting fault.

If our views really make sound sense they should be able to stand on their own merit.

Good political views do not require the display of anger toward those who disagree.

The logic of a good point is all that should be required.

If a good argument does not convince someone of the merit of a good view, anger and nastiness will never do it.

17. #41 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 82,519 Times in 52,737 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,657 Times in 4,376 Posts
    Blog Entries

Ugh. Thought I smelled something on my shoe.

Today, 08:05 AM
    Dachshynddawg
    Verified User

This message is hidden because Dachshynddawg is on your ignore list.
    "Conservatism is the blind and fear-filled worship of dead radicals." -- Mark Twain

18. #42 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

The best conversations here don't have anything to do with the posters participating in them.

The smartest posts are about ideas.

Average posts are about current events.

Small minded posts are about other posters.

19. #43 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,131 Times in 9,660 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 504 Times in 477 Posts
    Blog Entries

The world can't work if some political views are shut out. We have to allow opposing views, and we are actually wise to listen to them. We don't have to agree, but we should listen.

We must have both liberal and conservative views.

I am liberal, but I appreciate our conservative friends because having opposing views forces me to justify my own views. Actually I count on it and benefit from that. I know that good government needs to take the views of all into consideration in order to form the best policy.

It seems ridiculous to allow emotion to influence how we deal with others of opposing views. Anger and hatred are never logical. They serve no practical function in reaching a logical course of action.

Do angry people expect others to suddenly adopt their own view? That doesn't seem very likely. I can't think of anyone who holds their political view because somebody else 'forced them to' by being mean to them. Logically, the exact opposite is far more indicated. Most people would reject mean and nasty views.

What does a mean and nasty person expect the world to be? Do they really think the world will change because of their gruffness? That all opposing views will 'go away?' If that were to actually occur by some miracle, what would that new world look like? Everyone holds the same political view? Theirs? All others have been eliminated? There would be no need for disputing anything ever. Everyone would agree on what to do about everything. There would be no need for Congress. Any one person could create policy because one view would be just as good as another, all being the same.

After this utopian world of political agreement became reality then there would be no need to argue about anything. Then everything that stresses people out politically would all be resolved. There would be no need to get angry, have hatred, be mean or nasty to anyone else. Everyone would be in agreement. Nobody is to blame for anything because everyone agreed on what to do. If things came out unexpectedly, everyone would share the blame, because everybody agreed on the policy which led to an unexpected result.

Obviously, none of that is ever going to happen. That world is never happening, so what DOES the angry poster EXPECT? (Nothing, I guess. They just want to blow off steam, really. If you get into their sights, you get both barrels. That's what it is...)

Anger over politics leads to always being angry. How could the 'always angry' ever find happiness? Are they seeing pleasure through anger? Do they find it enjoyable if others experience pain or have their feelings hurt by them? Anger is clearly not happiness. Anyone who thinks the display of anger towards others leads to happiness is fooling themselves, for that is not true happiness. It is tainted with the knowledge that any pleasure derived has come at the cost of pain to others.

True happiness does not require the unhappiness of others. Good political policy leads to everyone being happy.

This complicated world of 7 billion humans requires many various political views. We, the people who care, need to allow others to hold their own view if we wish to be at our own peace with the world. We should discuss the pros and cons of various views, but we should always be respectful of others.

If we are full of anger, we can find no peace.

(just an observation from a peaceful place...)
    so alex jones shouldn't have been deplatformed?

20. #44 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

When it really comes down to the nuts and bolts of the issues, the people talking about those nuts and bolts don't matter. It's about the nuts and the bolts.

21. #45 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,131 Times in 9,660 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 504 Times in 477 Posts
    Blog Entries

When it really comes down to the nuts and bolts of the issues, the people talking about those nuts and bolts don't matter. It's about the nuts and the bolts.
    so did you develop something other than ad hom attacks on trump?