Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ipod ?

1. #1 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default Ipod ?

Does anyone know wtf is the deal with your ipod library once you get a new computer? I bought a new computer and set it up this weekend. I've got everything humming along pretty well, proving that they really have dumbed down home computers, because I know as much about computers, as, say, an SF about gender politics, or a Topper about economics. Which is to say; nothing to speak of.

The one thing that has stumped me is how to transfer my entire ipod library to my new computer. I have only been able to transfer my purchased songs -none of my cd downloads or playlists.

2. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,610 Times in 10,571 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 578 Times in 535 Posts
    Blog Entries

You have to get software to do it. Then you plug in your iPod and transfer the songs from the iPod to the computer. I use one that is literally called, "iPod to computer Transfer"...
    Excellence is an art won by training and habituation. We do not act rightly because we have virtue or excellence, but rather we have those because we have acted rightly. We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit.
    - -- Aristotle

Believe nothing on the faith of traditions, even though they have been held in honor for many generations and in diverse places. Do not believe a thing because many people speak of it. Do not believe on the faith of the sages of the past. Do not believe what you yourself have imagined, persuading yourself that a God inspires you. Believe nothing on the sole authority of your masters and priests. After examination, believe what you yourself have tested and found to be reasonable, and conform your conduct thereto.
    - -- The Buddha

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
    - -- Aristotle

3. #3 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 33 Times in 24 Posts

Should be able to just copy your entire music folder from the older computer to the new computer - just make sure it goes in the proper directory so the path is the same on both computers.

I have transferred my music library twice now (once to a new computer, once to duplicate it to my laptop) without any problems.

4. #4 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,610 Times in 10,571 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 578 Times in 535 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Good Luck View Post
    Should be able to just copy your entire music folder from the older computer to the new computer - just make sure it goes in the proper directory so the path is the same on both computers.

I have transferred my music library twice now (once to a new computer, once to duplicate it to my laptop) without any problems.
    You are assuming more knowledge than she has exemplified in the first post. To transfer it computer to computer you would need to connect the computers together either by a network or using a cross-over cable then transfer the files.

In my case, the computer could not be used to transfer the files as the computer was a total wash. The only way to transfer my files was from the iPod as the other files no longer existed.

It is the easiest way to do it for somebody who has little knowledge on networking as well.

Here is one place that can make it easy for you.

http://www.ipod2computer.com/index.p...D=117472586512
    Excellence is an art won by training and habituation. We do not act rightly because we have virtue or excellence, but rather we have those because we have acted rightly. We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit.
    - -- Aristotle

Believe nothing on the faith of traditions, even though they have been held in honor for many generations and in diverse places. Do not believe a thing because many people speak of it. Do not believe on the faith of the sages of the past. Do not believe what you yourself have imagined, persuading yourself that a God inspires you. Believe nothing on the sole authority of your masters and priests. After examination, believe what you yourself have tested and found to be reasonable, and conform your conduct thereto.
    - -- The Buddha

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
    - -- Aristotle

5. #5 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,821 Times in 6,166 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,532 Times in 1,444 Posts
    Blog Entries

To manually transfer it you would need a network up and enough knowledge to know where your music is actually stored - stuff the average computer user usually never bothers to figure out about. It would be best just to copy it onto your IPod and use a transfer program like Damo said.

/echo
    "Do not think that I came to bring peace... I did not come to bring peace, but a sword." - Matthew 10:34

6. #6 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Excellent, thanks!

7. #7 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 17,235 Times in 10,345 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,490 Times in 1,337 Posts
    Blog Entries

darla if you still can't figure it out ask me and I'll give you step by step directions.

---

Quote Originally Posted by Mott the Hoople View Post
    Grind is basically right
    Quote Originally Posted by Phantasmal View Post
    Grind’s got you beat by miles. He is very intelligent.

8. #8 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Grind View Post
    darla if you still can't figure it out ask me and I'll give you step by step directions.
    Thank you Grind.

9. #9 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,353 Times in 5,599 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 801 Times in 749 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Darla View Post
    Does anyone know wtf is the deal with your ipod library once you get a new computer? I bought a new computer and set it up this weekend. I've got everything humming along pretty well, proving that they really have dumbed down home computers, because I know as much about computers, as, say, an SF about gender politics, or a Topper about economics. Which is to say; nothing to speak of.

The one thing that has stumped me is how to transfer my entire ipod library to my new computer. I have only been able to transfer my purchased songs -none of my cd downloads or playlists.
    yeah, get a man to do the job of transferring the file for you, while you go back to the kitchen and make him some dinner.

Quote from Cypress:
    "Scientists don't use "averages". Maybe armchair supertools on message boards ascribe some meaning to "averages" between two random data points. And maybe clueless amatuers "draw a straight line" through two random end data points to define a "trend". Experts don't.

They use mean annual and five year means in trend analysis. Don't tell me I have to explain the difference to you. "

10. #10 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Superfreak View Post
    yeah, get a man to do the job of transferring the file for you, while you go back to the kitchen and make him some dinner.

So you know how to perform this process? If so, can you explain how having a penis gave you this knowledge?

11. #11 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Hey Darla if you need me I could always drive up to new york and do it for you.
    "Do not think that I came to bring peace... I did not come to bring peace, but a sword." - Matthew 10:34

12. #12 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Watermark View Post
    Hey Darla if you need me I could always drive up to new york and do it for you.
    Alright, now we are talking! lol

No, I think this program is exactly what I needed, thank you all for your help.

13. #13 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Alright, now we are talking! lol

No, I think this program is exactly what I needed, thank you all for your help.
    I'm pre-empting grind by posting this conversation:

(5:00:05 PM) WM: In this post: [ame="http://www.justplainpolitics.com/showpost.php?p=323695&postcount=12"]Just Plain Politics! - View Single Post - Ipod ?[/ame] Darla basically said "man WM I'd really like it if you'd come over and have sex with me."
    (5:00:30 PM) WM: They're always asking for it. But there's only so much WM and so many ladies.
    (5:01:02 PM) Grind: lol

14. #14 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Watermark View Post
    I'm pre-empting grind by posting this conversation:

(5:00:05 PM) WM: In this post: http://www.justplainpolitics.com/sho...5&postcount=12 Darla basically said "man WM I'd really like it if you'd come over and have sex with me."
    (5:00:30 PM) WM: They're always asking for it. But there's only so much WM and so many ladies.
    (5:01:02 PM) Grind: lol
    LOL

I see.

15. #15 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,353 Times in 5,599 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 801 Times in 749 Posts
    Blog Entries

So you know how to perform this process? If so, can you explain how having a penis gave you this knowledge?
    My lack of gender politics prevents me from responding to a gurrrl
    Quote from Cypress:
    "Scientists don't use "averages". Maybe armchair supertools on message boards ascribe some meaning to "averages" between two random data points. And maybe clueless amatuers "draw a straight line" through two random end data points to define a "trend". Experts don't.

They use mean annual and five year means in trend analysis. Don't tell me I have to explain the difference to you. "