Thread: Welcome reprieve from here

1. #1 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,417 Times in 7,536 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 270 Times in 253 Posts
    Blog Entries

Default Welcome reprieve from here

There was a thread a week or so ago about what we're doing with our free time staying at home and such. I mentioned that I'm practicing some complicated classical piano pieces and recently bought an electric guitar. So far, so good, I like the challenge of learning a new instrument with my new found free time.
    I also purchased a classical guitar and realized quickly you aren't going to do well trying to learn this style out of a book. Anyway I paid for classical guitar lessons here .
    Excellent place for learning and /or improving your guitar technique. I get the feeling that if you can master classical guitar everything else would come relatively easy. They have a forum and I have to say music does bring people together. Everybody is intelligent and genteel. Hell you have to be to play this style. Who cares about political philosophy when we have common interests?
    Last edited by anonymoose; 04-04-2020 at 08:03 PM.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to anonymoose For This Post:

AProudLefty (04-16-2020), Jack (04-04-2020), Sailor (04-15-2020)

3. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 4 Times in 4 Posts
    Blog Entries

A difficult instrument to play is banjo if you feel you've done well with guitar

4. #3 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Arks&sparka View Post
    A difficult instrument to play is banjo if you feel you've done well with guitar
    If you feel you've done well with the guitar take a gander at classical guitar pieces.
    But no doubt I have respect for anyone that can play any music, any instrument.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to anonymoose For This Post:

Arks&sparka (04-16-2020)

6. #4 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by anonymoose View Post
    If you feel you've done well with the guitar take a gander at classical guitar pieces.
    But no doubt I have respect for anyone that can play any music, any instrument.
    I went from guitar to Bass guitar... So classical guitar... Not in my wheelhouse.

7. #5 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Arks&sparka View Post
    I went from guitar to Bass guitar... So classical guitar... Not in my wheelhouse.
    I read that bass can be difficult. Guess any instrument can be depending how involved you want to be.
    Was there much of a learning curve?

8. The Following User Says Thank You to anonymoose For This Post:

Arks&sparka (04-16-2020)

9. #6 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

I read that bass can be difficult. Guess any instrument can be depending how involved you want to be.
    I have pretty large hands. Makes highly technical guitar parts difficult for me.

10. #7 | Top
    Living in rural America, "clinging to guns and religion"
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,509 Times in 16,972 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 522 Times in 502 Posts

There was a thread a week or so ago about what we're doing with our free time staying at home and such. I mentioned that I'm practicing some complicated classical piano pieces and recently bought an electric guitar. So far, so good, I like the challenge of learning a new instrument with my new found free time.
    I also purchased a classical guitar and realized quickly you aren't going to do well trying to learn this style out of a book. Anyway I paid for classical guitar lessons here .
    Excellent place for learning and /or improving your guitar technique. I get the feeling that if you can master classical guitar everything else would come relatively easy. They have a forum and I have to say music does bring people together. Everybody is intelligent and genteel. Hell you have to be to play this style. Who cares about political philosophy when we have common interests?
    The guitarist's video I mentioned in my PM was also into classical. He said the same thing. If you can play classical, you can play just about any R&R, rhythm or lead. And then there's the Blues...
    Common sense is not a gift, it's a punishment because you have to deal with everyone who doesn't have it.

11. #8 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by RB 60 View Post
    The guitarist's video I mentioned in my PM was also into classical. He said the same thing. If you can play classical, you can play just about any R&R, rhythm or lead. And then there's the Blues...
    20 yrs ago I took classical guitar lessons from a professional musician who played jazz guitar in a band in the French Quarter.
    Amazing how he could look at any piece no matter how complicated (to me anyway) and play it by sight on piano or guitar.
    He could also hear a song and play it on guitar or piano pretty well.

12. #9 | Top
    Living in rural America, "clinging to guns and religion"
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,509 Times in 16,972 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 522 Times in 502 Posts

20 yrs ago I took classical guitar lessons from a professional musician who played jazz guitar in a band in the French Quarter.
    Amazing how he could look at any piece no matter how complicated (to me anyway) and play it by sight on piano or guitar.
    He could also hear a song and play it on guitar or piano pretty well.
    I took drum lessons from a drummer in a jazz band back in the 70's. He was pretty good too.
    My cousin has been a piano teacher since before they moved to Phila. almost 30 years ago. She taught a few of the pianists in the Phila. Orchestra. Her husband spent 22 years on the Phila. police force, retired, and they moved back to this area a few years ago. She still teaches a limited number of students. You should hear her play
    Common sense is not a gift, it's a punishment because you have to deal with everyone who doesn't have it.

13. #10 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 21,761 Times in 17,091 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,342 Times in 2,261 Posts
    Blog Entries

As a deaf person in a musical family, learning how to play piano came naturally as a beginner.

But then I wasn't interested. I like to play the keyboard as in software programming.