Thread: US Blew It. High Unemployment Was Avoidable. Europe Got It Right

1. #46 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 23,686 Times in 17,937 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 3,248 Times in 3,052 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by I<3Big Anime Tiddies View Post
    YOU WERE THE ONE CALLING FOR THIS YOU IDIOT! YOU'RE THE ONE WHO SAID WE NEEDED TO NOT WORK! WHAT THE FUCK DID YOU THINK WAS GONNA HAPPEN?!
    Indeed.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Earl For This Post:

cancel2 2022 (04-05-2020)

3. #47 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 35,051 Times in 26,519 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,742 Times in 4,521 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jimmymccready View Post
    If we listened to the covidiots and took longer to respond properly, the result would be far more hideous than the bad price we are going to pay over the next few months.
    I shall hereafter call you Jimmy Riddle, that's English slang for taking a piss. Appropriate enough as most of your posts just comprise of porridge pissing.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to cancel2 2022 For This Post:

Earl (04-05-2020)

5. #48 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 35,051 Times in 26,519 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,742 Times in 4,521 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Omar View Post
    They were frightened into it by the 2 million death estimate.
    The guy who used his bloody model to predict that now says it down to 20,000 and most of those would have died anyway!!

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cancel2 2022 For This Post:

Darth Omar (04-05-2020), Earl (04-05-2020)

7. #49 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,646 Times in 10,702 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 618 Times in 607 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PoliTalker View Post
    David Brooks lays it out:

"Well, here, there's a lot of blame to go along.

I would say that, when we look at the bill that was passed by Congress a couple weeks ago, this stimulus bill, we will regard it as one of the worst economic packages maybe in American history, certainly in a time of crisis.

What they're doing in Europe is, they're preserving the businesses. They're keeping people employed. They're just paying businesses to say, we're going to give you some money, and — but you're going to keep your payroll. So people don't have the threat of unemployment, they don't have the insecurity of unemployment, they don't have the possibility that they will never get a job again or they won't get a job for a long time.

They just sort of freeze the economy. And we didn't do that. We took a more individualistic approach, we will just give you $1,200. We had a backstop measure, which is $350 billion for businesses. We should increase that to $600 billion, $700 billion, so businesses can keep their payroll.

And there's a lot of blame to go around. The Democrats took this option because they didn't want to be seen to be bailing out business. The Republicans, I'm not sure they had a coherent thought in their heads.

And so this is, I think, a catastrophic error, which we should just be fixing very quickly."

That makes so much sense!

Why didn't we think of that?

Maybe our leadership is so polarized by insults and blaming they never thought of it.

Too bad. Now, our economy is going to be really screwed.

PBS Newshour Shields and Brooks.

"it's better to have the not unemployed.

I mean, there are going to be some people who are unemployed. And for them, certainly, the unemployment insurance is there. But if you could sit at home knowing that you had a job, and knowing that you were getting paid for that job, even though you were sitting at home, and that you were probably going to go back to that job, that seems to me the right way to do this.

And I — I understand, culturally, why we didn't do it. I understand, politically, why bailing out business seem to be a bad thing. But it's fixable. And when Chuck Schumer said earlier in the program that he wants something else, I would hope this would be the something else we would do before the end of April."

We need a new Bill that tells the businesses to hire those people back and the government will pay for it. And the workers who just lost health insurance would then get it right back. This is insane to let those jobs go away and those businesses fail. If that happens we won't be able to quickly put it back together again. And that's just going to hurt our economy for a long time.

I know a trashed economy would hurt DT's chances of reelection, but this is too much of a price to pay for that. All these lost jobs. That's people on the edge, slipping over. We can't allow that. If it was just the stock market that would be a fair trade-off. That's rich people getting less rich. That doesn't undermine the foundation of our economy, consumerism. But all this unemployment is too much. The people being affected by this don't have any safety cushion, and while they are worried about their income, they also have to deal with coronavirus. Brooks is right.
    WTF?? THEN WHY IS THEIR UNEMPLOYMENT RATE DOUBLE OURS???? STUPIDFUCK.
    TRUMP WILL TAKE FORTY STATES...UNLESS THE SAME IDIOTS WHO BROUGHT US THE 2020 DUNCE-O-CRAT IOWA CLUSTERFUCK CONTINUE THEIR SEDITIOUS ACTIVITIES...THEN HE WILL WIN EVEN MORE ..UNLESS THE RED CHINESE AND DNC COLLUDE, USE A PANDEMIC, AND THEN THE DEMOCRATS VIOLATE ARTICLE II OF THE CONSTITUTION, TO FACILLITATE MILLIONS OF ILLEGAL, UNVETTED, MAIL IN BALLOTS IN THE DARK OF NIGHT..

De Oppresso Liber

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Grokmaster For This Post:

Earl (04-05-2020)

9. #50 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,856 Times in 8,415 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,290 Times in 2,172 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Havana Moon View Post
    God, you're an ocean going fuckwit, truly shit for brains.
    A brilliant post, by the Lord of Cretins,

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Trumpet For This Post:

ThatOwlWoman (04-05-2020)

11. #51 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 83,429 Times in 53,293 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,661 Times in 4,380 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Trumpet View Post
    I agree with you about the deficit and the debt, but the Trump and GOP tax cuts have already caused the debt to soar in good economical times, and this will compound the efforts to jump start the economy.
    This is like the perfect recipe for a recession/depression. First you give out huge tax cuts to the very entities that bolster your income -- the already-wealthy. Then you fail to pay down the debt and put away money for the inevitable rainy day... you can't because you just cut your income with the give-away to the wealthy.

Well, here's that rainy day and we have nothing left to use as an umbrella but more debt.
    "Conservatism is the blind and fear-filled worship of dead radicals." -- Mark Twain

12. The Following User Groans At ThatOwlWoman For This Awful Post:

Earl (04-05-2020)

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ThatOwlWoman For This Post:

jimmymccready (04-05-2020), PoliTalker (04-05-2020), Trumpet (04-05-2020)

14. #52 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ThatOwlWoman View Post
    This is like the perfect recipe for a recession/depression. First you give out huge tax cuts to the very entities that bolster your income -- the already-wealthy. Then you fail to pay down the debt and put away money for the inevitable rainy day... you can't because you just cut your income with the give-away to the wealthy.

Well, here's that rainy day and we have nothing left to use as an umbrella but more debt.
    That's what is known as plutocracy.

15. The Following User Groans At Trumpet For This Awful Post:

Earl (04-05-2020)

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Trumpet For This Post:

PoliTalker (04-05-2020), ThatOwlWoman (04-05-2020)

17. #53 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

That's what is known as plutocracy.
    Is that why deficits and the debt only matter when a (D) is in office?
    "Conservatism is the blind and fear-filled worship of dead radicals." -- Mark Twain

18. The Following User Groans At ThatOwlWoman For This Awful Post:

Earl (04-05-2020)

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ThatOwlWoman For This Post:

PoliTalker (04-05-2020), Trumpet (04-05-2020)

20. #54 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by I<3Big Anime Tiddies View Post
    YOU WERE THE ONE CALLING FOR THIS YOU IDIOT! YOU'RE THE ONE WHO SAID WE NEEDED TO NOT WORK! WHAT THE FUCK DID YOU THINK WAS GONNA HAPPEN?!
    Indeed.

21. #55 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Is that why deficits and the debt only matter when a (D) is in office?
    Trump and the GOP caters to their big money donors, who don't feel that they should have to pay taxes, so that's a yes to your question.

22. The Following User Groans At Trumpet For This Awful Post:

Earl (04-05-2020)

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Trumpet For This Post:

24. #56 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,108 Times in 13,083 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,908 Times in 5,169 Posts
    Blog Entries

Hello ThatOwlWoman,

And if we don't use the umbrella we get really soaked.

We have to dip into the debt one way or another. We can take the bold move now and buy ourselves a chance to bounce back, or we can be miserly with the debt now and find out later we should have saved the jobs.

I don't really want to help DT but letting all these people fall through the cracks will be worse.
    Personal Ignore Policy PIP: I like civil discourse. I will give you all the respect in the world if you respect me. Mouth off to me, or express overt racism, you will be PERMANENTLY Ignore Listed. Zero tolerance. No exceptions. I'll never read a word you write, even if quoted by another, nor respond to you, nor participate in your threads. ... Ignore the shallow. Cherish the thoughtful. Long Live Civil Discourse, Mutual Respect, and Good Debate! ps: Feel free to adopt my PIP. It works well.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to PoliTalker For This Post:

26. #57 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PoliTalker View Post
    And if we don't use the umbrella we get really soaked.

We have to dip into the debt one way or another. We can take the bold move now and buy ourselves a chance to bounce back, or we can be miserly with the debt now and find out later we should have saved the jobs.

I don't really want to help DT but letting all these people fall through the cracks will be worse.
    I agree.

Once this passes over and we're back to business as usual again, I think another personal stimulus is going to be necessary. The $1200 now is just going to go to groceries and keeping the lights on for many ppl. To really jump start the economy, ppl have to be working first. Then they can spend their stimulus money on wants rather than needs, and fuel the economy again. Let's see if that idea is popular in Congress when the time comes.

27. The Following User Says Thank You to ThatOwlWoman For This Post:

PoliTalker (04-05-2020)

28. #58 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Trump and the GOP caters to their big money donors, who don't feel that they should have to pay taxes, so that's a yes to your question.
    The top 50 percent of all taxpayers paid 97 percent of all individual income taxes, while the bottom 50 percent paid the remaining 3 percent. The top 1 percent paid a greater share of individual income taxes (37.3 percent) than the bottom 90 percent combined (30.5 percent).

Summary of the Latest Federal Income Tax Data, 2018 Updatetaxfoundation.org › summary-latest-fed

29. #59 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,622 Times in 8,086 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 639 Times in 618 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Omar View Post
    Democrats will totally blame Trump for doing what they were shouting [and in some instances cheering] for. And yes, on China taking full advantage of this. They are the same goof balls that think Russian troll farms are an existential threat to our democracy. Why anyone listens to them is beyond me.

By the end of May we’ll have some answers, though. I wouldn’t call anything yet.
    No way this lasts until May

30. The Following User Says Thank You to canceled.2021.2 For This Post:

Earl (04-05-2020)

31. #60 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Earl View Post
    The top 50 percent of all taxpayers paid 97 percent of all individual income taxes, while the bottom 50 percent paid the remaining 3 percent. The top 1 percent paid a greater share of individual income taxes (37.3 percent) than the bottom 90 percent combined (30.5 percent).

Summary of the Latest Federal Income Tax Data, 2018 Updatetaxfoundation.org › summary-latest-fed
    Earl, what percent of their income did the top 50% pay, compared to the lower 50%???????