Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 39

Thread: Finally, A Vaccine! But Capitalism Makes It Too Expensive?

  1. #1 | Top
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    15,824
    Thanks
    8,965
    Thanked 8,041 Times in 5,376 Posts
    Groans
    0
    Groaned 4,092 Times in 3,510 Posts

    Default Finally, A Vaccine! But Capitalism Makes It Too Expensive?

    What if a for-profit company comes up with a vaccine, but it's run by somebody like that Schkreli guy, and they decide this is the ultimate get-rich tool.

    What if they get a vaccine and decide to charge $50,000 a dose?

    (Even if it only costs them pennies to make it)

    Hey, it's their technology.

    Capitalism says they can charge whatever they want for it.

    Insurance companies could never afford to cover everybody for that. They could call it 'experimental,' and not pay.

    Pay up and you can live. No money? Take your chances.

    The rich could afford it, no problem. But the middle? Only if they give up their life's savings.

    Should people cash in everything, just to stay alive?

    And the rest may rest in peace?

    Could happen.

    What's to stop it?

    How could the free market possibly serve a population in times like these?

    It is a reason that health care should be done not for profit, but to serve we the people.
    Personal Ignore Policy PIP: I like civil discourse. I will give you all the respect in the world if you respect me. Mouth off to me, or express overt racism, you will be PERMANENTLY Ignore Listed. Zero tolerance. No exceptions. I'll never read a word you write, even if quoted by another, nor respond to you, nor participate in your threads. ... Ignore the shallow. Cherish the thoughtful. Long Live Civil Discourse, Mutual Respect, and Good Debate! ps: Feel free to adopt my PIP. It works well.

  2. The Following User Says Thank You to PoliTalker For This Post:

    Trumpet (04-02-2020)

  3. #2 | Top
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Posts
    50,490
    Thanks
    424
    Thanked 8,438 Times in 7,257 Posts
    Groans
    28
    Groaned 450 Times in 439 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PoliTalker View Post
    What if a for-profit company comes up with a vaccine, but it's run by somebody like that Schkreli guy, and they decide this is the ultimate get-rich tool.

    What if they get a vaccine and decide to charge $50,000 a dose?

    (Even if it only costs them pennies to make it)

    Hey, it's their technology.

    Capitalism says they can charge whatever they want for it.

    Insurance companies could never afford to cover everybody for that. They could call it 'experimental,' and not pay.

    Pay up and you can live. No money? Take your chances.

    The rich could afford it, no problem. But the middle? Only if they give up their life's savings.

    Should people cash in everything, just to stay alive?

    And the rest may rest in peace?

    Could happen.

    What's to stop it?

    How could the free market possibly serve a population in times like these?

    It is a reason that health care should be done not for profit, but to serve we the people.
    Here's a novel idea. You can develop the technology and then YOU can charge how much or how little YOU think should be charged. What you can't do is tell someone else that came up with what they can charge.

  4. #3 | Top
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    15,824
    Thanks
    8,965
    Thanked 8,041 Times in 5,376 Posts
    Groans
    0
    Groaned 4,092 Times in 3,510 Posts

    Default

    Maybe it would be more profitable if they charged about $10,000.

    That way, they could get a lot more people to pay.

    And even the poor could go to rip-off payday lenders and get on the hook for that much.

    Even put the bass boat up for collateral.
    Personal Ignore Policy PIP: I like civil discourse. I will give you all the respect in the world if you respect me. Mouth off to me, or express overt racism, you will be PERMANENTLY Ignore Listed. Zero tolerance. No exceptions. I'll never read a word you write, even if quoted by another, nor respond to you, nor participate in your threads. ... Ignore the shallow. Cherish the thoughtful. Long Live Civil Discourse, Mutual Respect, and Good Debate! ps: Feel free to adopt my PIP. It works well.

  5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to PoliTalker For This Post:

    Phantasmal (04-02-2020), Tacomaman (04-02-2020), Trumpet (04-02-2020)

  6. #4 | Top
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Posts
    50,490
    Thanks
    424
    Thanked 8,438 Times in 7,257 Posts
    Groans
    28
    Groaned 450 Times in 439 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PoliTalker View Post
    Maybe it would be more profitable if they charged about $10,000.

    That way, they could get a lot more people to pay.

    And even the poor could go to rip-off payday lenders and get on the hook for that much.

    Even put the bass boat up for collateral.
    Maybe you could develop the technology and then give it away if you are so inclined to do so. Until then, STFU about what someone else does.

  7. #5 | Top
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    35,728
    Thanks
    831
    Thanked 3,540 Times in 2,705 Posts
    Groans
    5
    Groaned 241 Times in 222 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PoliTalker View Post
    What if a for-profit company comes up with a vaccine, but it's run by somebody like that Schkreli guy, and they decide this is the ultimate get-rich tool.

    What if they get a vaccine and decide to charge $50,000 a dose?

    (Even if it only costs them pennies to make it)

    Hey, it's their technology.

    Capitalism says they can charge whatever they want for it.

    Insurance companies could never afford to cover everybody for that. They could call it 'experimental,' and not pay.

    Pay up and you can live. No money? Take your chances.

    The rich could afford it, no problem. But the middle? Only if they give up their life's savings.

    Should people cash in everything, just to stay alive?

    And the rest may rest in peace?

    Could happen.

    What's to stop it?

    How could the free market possibly serve a population in times like these?

    It is a reason that health care should be done not for profit, but to serve we the people.
    nobody wants your nanobot injection.
    Morality is a set of attitudes and behaviors which facilitate voluntary, cooperative and mutually beneficial relationships. --AssHatZombie

    Obamagate is Operation Crossfire Hurricane

    "AssHat rocks and is fun to have around." -- Damocles

  8. #6 | Top
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Posts
    2,061
    Thanks
    188
    Thanked 1,123 Times in 744 Posts
    Groans
    1
    Groaned 18 Times in 18 Posts

    Default

    If anyone can make a dollar off of Americans dying, tRUMP will figure out how.
    "Socialism" is when the fire department shows up at your burning home.
    "Capitalism" is when the insurance company refuses


  9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Tacomaman For This Post:

    christiefan915 (04-02-2020), PoliTalker (04-02-2020), Trumpet (04-02-2020)

  10. #7 | Top
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    35,728
    Thanks
    831
    Thanked 3,540 Times in 2,705 Posts
    Groans
    5
    Groaned 241 Times in 222 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tacomaman View Post
    If anyone can make a dollar off of Americans dying, tRUMP will figure out how.
    you should look at all politicians on the take from china, ya idjit. that would probably paint a more accurate picture.
    Morality is a set of attitudes and behaviors which facilitate voluntary, cooperative and mutually beneficial relationships. --AssHatZombie

    Obamagate is Operation Crossfire Hurricane

    "AssHat rocks and is fun to have around." -- Damocles

  11. #8 | Top
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    15,824
    Thanks
    8,965
    Thanked 8,041 Times in 5,376 Posts
    Groans
    0
    Groaned 4,092 Times in 3,510 Posts

    Default

    We need a big powerful government to stand up to big powerful capitalism.

    Big powerful capitalism represents the rich and powerful.

    We, the People have the government to represent us, but we have to make it do that or else big powerful capitalism will use it against us. Happens all the time.
    Personal Ignore Policy PIP: I like civil discourse. I will give you all the respect in the world if you respect me. Mouth off to me, or express overt racism, you will be PERMANENTLY Ignore Listed. Zero tolerance. No exceptions. I'll never read a word you write, even if quoted by another, nor respond to you, nor participate in your threads. ... Ignore the shallow. Cherish the thoughtful. Long Live Civil Discourse, Mutual Respect, and Good Debate! ps: Feel free to adopt my PIP. It works well.

  12. The Following User Says Thank You to PoliTalker For This Post:

    Trumpet (04-02-2020)

  13. #9 | Top
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Posts
    7,786
    Thanks
    13,821
    Thanked 2,945 Times in 2,135 Posts
    Groans
    10
    Groaned 1,257 Times in 1,162 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CFM View Post
    Here's a novel idea. You can develop the technology and then YOU can charge how much or how little YOU think should be charged. What you can't do is tell someone else that came up with what they can charge.
    How are you going to pay for your vaccines, seeing that you're a welfare recipient????????????????????????

  14. #10 | Top
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    35,728
    Thanks
    831
    Thanked 3,540 Times in 2,705 Posts
    Groans
    5
    Groaned 241 Times in 222 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Trumpet View Post
    How are you going to pay for your vaccines, seeing that you're a welfare recipient????????????????????????
    nobody wants your nanobot injection.
    Morality is a set of attitudes and behaviors which facilitate voluntary, cooperative and mutually beneficial relationships. --AssHatZombie

    Obamagate is Operation Crossfire Hurricane

    "AssHat rocks and is fun to have around." -- Damocles

  15. #11 | Top
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    35,728
    Thanks
    831
    Thanked 3,540 Times in 2,705 Posts
    Groans
    5
    Groaned 241 Times in 222 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PoliTalker View Post
    We need a big powerful government to stand up to big powerful capitalism.

    Big powerful capitalism represents the rich and powerful.

    We, the People have the government to represent us, but we have to make it do that or else big powerful capitalism will use it against us. Happens all the time.
    you're an idiot. big powerful government is controlled by the same shadowy plutocrats that run big business.
    Morality is a set of attitudes and behaviors which facilitate voluntary, cooperative and mutually beneficial relationships. --AssHatZombie

    Obamagate is Operation Crossfire Hurricane

    "AssHat rocks and is fun to have around." -- Damocles

  16. #12 | Top
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Posts
    7,786
    Thanks
    13,821
    Thanked 2,945 Times in 2,135 Posts
    Groans
    10
    Groaned 1,257 Times in 1,162 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AssHatZombie View Post
    you're an idiot. big powerful government is controlled by the same shadowy plutocrats that run big business.
    You know, you are what you call other people.

  17. #13 | Top
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    35,728
    Thanks
    831
    Thanked 3,540 Times in 2,705 Posts
    Groans
    5
    Groaned 241 Times in 222 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Trumpet View Post
    You know, you are what you call other people.
    wow. kindergarten level retort. now deal with the substance, if you can. you can't.
    Morality is a set of attitudes and behaviors which facilitate voluntary, cooperative and mutually beneficial relationships. --AssHatZombie

    Obamagate is Operation Crossfire Hurricane

    "AssHat rocks and is fun to have around." -- Damocles

  18. #14 | Top
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Posts
    50,490
    Thanks
    424
    Thanked 8,438 Times in 7,257 Posts
    Groans
    28
    Groaned 450 Times in 439 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Trumpet View Post
    How are you going to pay for your vaccines, seeing that you're a welfare recipient????????????????????????
    Hopefully you'll need one, can't pay it, and will die as a result.

    You continue to make claims about my financial situation yet have provided nothing to back it up.

  19. #15 | Top
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Posts
    50,490
    Thanks
    424
    Thanked 8,438 Times in 7,257 Posts
    Groans
    28
    Groaned 450 Times in 439 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Trumpet View Post
    You know, you are what you call other people.
    No, you are what he called you.

Similar Threads

  1. What Caused This?! Capitalism... It was always Capitalism
    By Cinnabar in forum Current Events Forum
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-28-2020, 12:37 PM
  2. Replies: 27
    Last Post: 08-16-2019, 03:26 PM
  3. The Snake finally makes the HoF
    By Mott the Hoople in forum Sports, Hobbies & Pictures
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 02-10-2016, 05:05 AM
  4. Replies: 23
    Last Post: 11-05-2013, 12:41 PM
  5. APP - new whooping cough vaccine not as effective as previous vaccine
    By Don Quixote in forum Above Plain Politics Forum
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 09-17-2012, 12:13 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Rules

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •