Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HOOVERISM?? Trump Rebuffs Demands to Lift Tariffs as Economy Falters

1. #1 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,196 Times in 3,829 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 261 Times in 257 Posts
    Blog Entries

Werewolf HOOVERISM?? Trump Rebuffs Demands to Lift Tariffs as Economy Falters

WASHINGTON — President Trump continues to resist calls from hundreds of companies to drop tariffs he has placed on foreign goods, arguing that the levies do not impose costs on American companies, despite economic evidence to the contrary.

The Trump administration has been weighing an executive order that would defer tariff payments on some imports, though not cancel the levies outright. But Mr. Trump said Tuesday evening that he had yet to approve the measure, and it was not clear if the administration would ultimately proceed with it.

“That might be, but I’m going to have to approve the plan,” Mr. Trump said of lowering tariffs. He pushed back on news reports that he had made a decision, saying, “I approve everything and they haven’t presented it to me, so therefore it’s false reporting.”

People familiar with the deliberations say the administration has been weighing such a deferral, which would apply to the “most-favored nation” tariffs the United States has long imposed on goods from around the globe, rather than the levies Mr. Trump has imposed on Chinese products or foreign metals.

While the administration previously considered a 90-day deferral, recent discussions have included a 30-day deferral, and people with knowledge of the situation cautioned that the plans remain in flux.

More @ source
    "There is no question former President Trump bears moral responsibility. His supporters stormed the Capitol because of the unhinged falsehoods he shouted into the world’s largest megaphone," McConnell wrote. "His behavior during and after the chaos was also unconscionable, from attacking Vice President Mike Pence during the riot to praising the criminals after it ended."

2. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,579 Times in 15,814 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,951 Times in 1,862 Posts

not going to happen . That would be rewarding China for a worldwide infection, and dithering trade talks

3. The Following User Says Thank You to anatta For This Post:

Callinectes (04-01-2020)

4. #3 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by anatta View Post
    not going to happen . That would be rewarding China for a worldwide infection, and dithering trade talks
    It would also reward suffering Americans & maybe even save many lives..... I value that higher than his lil ego........
    "There is no question former President Trump bears moral responsibility. His supporters stormed the Capitol because of the unhinged falsehoods he shouted into the world’s largest megaphone," McConnell wrote. "His behavior during and after the chaos was also unconscionable, from attacking Vice President Mike Pence during the riot to praising the criminals after it ended."

5. #4 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Bill View Post
    It would also reward suffering Americans & maybe even save many lives..... I value that higher than his lil ego........
    nothing to do with Trump's "ego" how would it save lives?
    Tariffs haven't added any costs to consumers -look at the inflation rate

The tariffs got us phase 1 -good by itself.
    If Trump is re-elected a comprehensive bilateral agreement becomes most probable -most excellent

6. The Following User Says Thank You to anatta For This Post:

Callinectes (04-01-2020)

7. #5 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

nothing to do with Trump's "ego" how would it save lives?
    Tariffs haven't added any costs to consumers -look at the inflation rate

The tariffs got us phase 1 -good by itself.
    If Trump is re-elected a comprehensive bilateral agreement becomes most probable -most excellent
    ??? I think it was only last week he was asking the public about lifting tariffs on medical supplies!!!!!!

Maybe just for the hell of it.

The Trump administration cracked open the door to removing tariffs on medical supplies from China as the White House scrambles to address a shortage of masks, ventilators and other tools needed to subdue the coronavirus outbreak.

8. #6 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

exigent circumstance on a limited product

9. #7 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

plural, products.......

10. #8 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

I wonder if seeking public comments on any tariffs is normal by a US Trade Rep?
    ( it was Lighthizer -not Trump who asked for that)

11. #9 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

I don't ever recall it.. Corp yes, but the public?? I think it is kinda odd..

12. #10 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

I don't ever recall it.. Corp yes, but the public?? I think it is kinda odd..
    ha ! it's public..ex.

USTR is seeking public comments on whether to continue bifacial solar panel tariff exemption
    https://www.solarpowerworldonline.co...iff-exemption/

13. #11 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 18,674 Times in 14,047 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,136 Times in 1,080 Posts

14. #12 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

ha ! it's public..ex.

USTR is seeking public comments on whether to continue bifacial solar panel tariff exemption
    https://www.solarpowerworldonline.co...iff-exemption/
    I bet the got some real dozies for comments...

15. #13 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bull Durham View Post
    So, what's your take on the relief bill, Bill?
    Mixed feelings overall, sure you do as well..

As an investor in the market I have skin in the game & don't want to see companies failing nor threatening to do so to achieve handouts from trump..

I worry about recouping all the monies handed out/loaned to them, especially since it seems appropriate for many of the companies asking for a hand-out will pay out bonuses while maintaining armies of tax attorneys working 24/7 to beat us out of every nickle in taxes they can get....

16. #14 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,134 Times in 9,662 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 504 Times in 477 Posts
    Blog Entries

Mixed feelings overall, sure you do as well..

As an investor in the market I have skin in the game & don't want to see companies failing nor threatening to do so to achieve handouts from trump..

I worry about recouping all the monies handed out/loaned to them, especially since it seems appropriate for many of the companies asking for a hand-out will pay out bonuses while maintaining armies of tax attorneys working 24/7 to beat us out of every nickle in taxes they can get....
    so you're fine with too big too fail. that's fascism. you're a fascist.

17. #15 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 54,780 Times in 33,639 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,065 Times in 4,683 Posts
    Blog Entries

WASHINGTON — President Trump continues to resist calls from hundreds of companies to drop tariffs he has placed on foreign goods, arguing that the levies do not impose costs on American companies, despite economic evidence to the contrary.

The Trump administration has been weighing an executive order that would defer tariff payments on some imports, though not cancel the levies outright. But Mr. Trump said Tuesday evening that he had yet to approve the measure, and it was not clear if the administration would ultimately proceed with it.

“That might be, but I’m going to have to approve the plan,” Mr. Trump said of lowering tariffs. He pushed back on news reports that he had made a decision, saying, “I approve everything and they haven’t presented it to me, so therefore it’s false reporting.”

People familiar with the deliberations say the administration has been weighing such a deferral, which would apply to the “most-favored nation” tariffs the United States has long imposed on goods from around the globe, rather than the levies Mr. Trump has imposed on Chinese products or foreign metals.

While the administration previously considered a 90-day deferral, recent discussions have included a 30-day deferral, and people with knowledge of the situation cautioned that the plans remain in flux.

More @ source
    Trump is a stable genius, that is all.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Phantasmal For This Post:

Trumpet (04-02-2020)