Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 30

Thread: HOOVERISM?? Trump Rebuffs Demands to Lift Tariffs as Economy Falters

  1. #1 | Top
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    State of Bliss
    Posts
    22,777
    Thanks
    7,095
    Thanked 5,196 Times in 3,829 Posts
    Groans
    433
    Groaned 261 Times in 257 Posts
    Blog Entries
    5

    Werewolf HOOVERISM?? Trump Rebuffs Demands to Lift Tariffs as Economy Falters



    WASHINGTON — President Trump continues to resist calls from hundreds of companies to drop tariffs he has placed on foreign goods, arguing that the levies do not impose costs on American companies, despite economic evidence to the contrary.

    The Trump administration has been weighing an executive order that would defer tariff payments on some imports, though not cancel the levies outright. But Mr. Trump said Tuesday evening that he had yet to approve the measure, and it was not clear if the administration would ultimately proceed with it.

    “That might be, but I’m going to have to approve the plan,” Mr. Trump said of lowering tariffs. He pushed back on news reports that he had made a decision, saying, “I approve everything and they haven’t presented it to me, so therefore it’s false reporting.”

    People familiar with the deliberations say the administration has been weighing such a deferral, which would apply to the “most-favored nation” tariffs the United States has long imposed on goods from around the globe, rather than the levies Mr. Trump has imposed on Chinese products or foreign metals.

    While the administration previously considered a 90-day deferral, recent discussions have included a 30-day deferral, and people with knowledge of the situation cautioned that the plans remain in flux.

    More @ source

    "Corporate America today is the lobbying arm of the Chinese Communist Party and Wall Street is the investor relations department," Steve Bannon.

    "Tell the truth, I think, for a change," Carter told MSNBC when asked what advice he would give Trump.

  2. #2 | Top
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    life
    Posts
    36,356
    Thanks
    9,669
    Thanked 14,289 Times in 10,065 Posts
    Groans
    204
    Groaned 1,541 Times in 1,466 Posts

    Default

    not going to happen . That would be rewarding China for a worldwide infection, and dithering trade talks

  3. The Following User Says Thank You to anatta For This Post:

    Callinectes (04-01-2020)

  4. #3 | Top
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    State of Bliss
    Posts
    22,777
    Thanks
    7,095
    Thanked 5,196 Times in 3,829 Posts
    Groans
    433
    Groaned 261 Times in 257 Posts
    Blog Entries
    5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by anatta View Post
    not going to happen . That would be rewarding China for a worldwide infection, and dithering trade talks
    It would also reward suffering Americans & maybe even save many lives..... I value that higher than his lil ego........

    "Corporate America today is the lobbying arm of the Chinese Communist Party and Wall Street is the investor relations department," Steve Bannon.

    "Tell the truth, I think, for a change," Carter told MSNBC when asked what advice he would give Trump.

  5. #4 | Top
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    life
    Posts
    36,356
    Thanks
    9,669
    Thanked 14,289 Times in 10,065 Posts
    Groans
    204
    Groaned 1,541 Times in 1,466 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bill View Post
    It would also reward suffering Americans & maybe even save many lives..... I value that higher than his lil ego........
    nothing to do with Trump's "ego" how would it save lives?
    Tariffs haven't added any costs to consumers -look at the inflation rate

    The tariffs got us phase 1 -good by itself.
    If Trump is re-elected a comprehensive bilateral agreement becomes most probable -most excellent

  6. The Following User Says Thank You to anatta For This Post:

    Callinectes (04-01-2020)

  7. #5 | Top
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    State of Bliss
    Posts
    22,777
    Thanks
    7,095
    Thanked 5,196 Times in 3,829 Posts
    Groans
    433
    Groaned 261 Times in 257 Posts
    Blog Entries
    5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by anatta View Post
    nothing to do with Trump's "ego" how would it save lives?
    Tariffs haven't added any costs to consumers -look at the inflation rate

    The tariffs got us phase 1 -good by itself.
    If Trump is re-elected a comprehensive bilateral agreement becomes most probable -most excellent
    ??? I think it was only last week he was asking the public about lifting tariffs on medical supplies!!!!!!

    Maybe just for the hell of it.

    The Trump administration cracked open the door to removing tariffs on medical supplies from China as the White House scrambles to address a shortage of masks, ventilators and other tools needed to subdue the coronavirus outbreak.

    "Corporate America today is the lobbying arm of the Chinese Communist Party and Wall Street is the investor relations department," Steve Bannon.

    "Tell the truth, I think, for a change," Carter told MSNBC when asked what advice he would give Trump.

  8. #6 | Top
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    life
    Posts
    36,356
    Thanks
    9,669
    Thanked 14,289 Times in 10,065 Posts
    Groans
    204
    Groaned 1,541 Times in 1,466 Posts

    Default

    exigent circumstance on a limited product

  9. #7 | Top
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    State of Bliss
    Posts
    22,777
    Thanks
    7,095
    Thanked 5,196 Times in 3,829 Posts
    Groans
    433
    Groaned 261 Times in 257 Posts
    Blog Entries
    5

    Default

    plural, products.......

    "Corporate America today is the lobbying arm of the Chinese Communist Party and Wall Street is the investor relations department," Steve Bannon.

    "Tell the truth, I think, for a change," Carter told MSNBC when asked what advice he would give Trump.

  10. #8 | Top
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    life
    Posts
    36,356
    Thanks
    9,669
    Thanked 14,289 Times in 10,065 Posts
    Groans
    204
    Groaned 1,541 Times in 1,466 Posts

    Default

    I wonder if seeking public comments on any tariffs is normal by a US Trade Rep?
    ( it was Lighthizer -not Trump who asked for that)

  11. #9 | Top
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    State of Bliss
    Posts
    22,777
    Thanks
    7,095
    Thanked 5,196 Times in 3,829 Posts
    Groans
    433
    Groaned 261 Times in 257 Posts
    Blog Entries
    5

    Default

    I don't ever recall it.. Corp yes, but the public?? I think it is kinda odd..

    "Corporate America today is the lobbying arm of the Chinese Communist Party and Wall Street is the investor relations department," Steve Bannon.

    "Tell the truth, I think, for a change," Carter told MSNBC when asked what advice he would give Trump.

  12. #10 | Top
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    life
    Posts
    36,356
    Thanks
    9,669
    Thanked 14,289 Times in 10,065 Posts
    Groans
    204
    Groaned 1,541 Times in 1,466 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bill View Post
    I don't ever recall it.. Corp yes, but the public?? I think it is kinda odd..
    ha ! it's public..ex.

    USTR is seeking public comments on whether to continue bifacial solar panel tariff exemption
    https://www.solarpowerworldonline.co...iff-exemption/

  13. #11 | Top
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Federal Way, WA
    Posts
    60,943
    Thanks
    16,609
    Thanked 16,257 Times in 12,137 Posts
    Groans
    626
    Groaned 1,053 Times in 999 Posts

  14. #12 | Top
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    State of Bliss
    Posts
    22,777
    Thanks
    7,095
    Thanked 5,196 Times in 3,829 Posts
    Groans
    433
    Groaned 261 Times in 257 Posts
    Blog Entries
    5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by anatta View Post
    ha ! it's public..ex.

    USTR is seeking public comments on whether to continue bifacial solar panel tariff exemption
    https://www.solarpowerworldonline.co...iff-exemption/
    I bet the got some real dozies for comments...

    "Corporate America today is the lobbying arm of the Chinese Communist Party and Wall Street is the investor relations department," Steve Bannon.

    "Tell the truth, I think, for a change," Carter told MSNBC when asked what advice he would give Trump.

  15. #13 | Top
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    State of Bliss
    Posts
    22,777
    Thanks
    7,095
    Thanked 5,196 Times in 3,829 Posts
    Groans
    433
    Groaned 261 Times in 257 Posts
    Blog Entries
    5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bull Durham View Post
    So, what's your take on the relief bill, Bill?
    Mixed feelings overall, sure you do as well..

    As an investor in the market I have skin in the game & don't want to see companies failing nor threatening to do so to achieve handouts from trump..

    I worry about recouping all the monies handed out/loaned to them, especially since it seems appropriate for many of the companies asking for a hand-out will pay out bonuses while maintaining armies of tax attorneys working 24/7 to beat us out of every nickle in taxes they can get....

    "Corporate America today is the lobbying arm of the Chinese Communist Party and Wall Street is the investor relations department," Steve Bannon.

    "Tell the truth, I think, for a change," Carter told MSNBC when asked what advice he would give Trump.

  16. #14 | Top
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    35,605
    Thanks
    817
    Thanked 3,525 Times in 2,692 Posts
    Groans
    5
    Groaned 237 Times in 218 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bill View Post
    Mixed feelings overall, sure you do as well..

    As an investor in the market I have skin in the game & don't want to see companies failing nor threatening to do so to achieve handouts from trump..

    I worry about recouping all the monies handed out/loaned to them, especially since it seems appropriate for many of the companies asking for a hand-out will pay out bonuses while maintaining armies of tax attorneys working 24/7 to beat us out of every nickle in taxes they can get....
    so you're fine with too big too fail. that's fascism. you're a fascist.
    Morality is a set of attitudes and behaviors which facilitate voluntary, cooperative and mutually beneficial relationships. --AssHatZombie

    Obamagate is Operation Crossfire Hurricane

    "AssHat rocks and is fun to have around." -- Damocles

  17. #15 | Top
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    48,544
    Thanks
    62,715
    Thanked 28,137 Times in 18,421 Posts
    Groans
    2,009
    Groaned 3,044 Times in 2,841 Posts
    Blog Entries
    6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bill View Post


    WASHINGTON — President Trump continues to resist calls from hundreds of companies to drop tariffs he has placed on foreign goods, arguing that the levies do not impose costs on American companies, despite economic evidence to the contrary.

    The Trump administration has been weighing an executive order that would defer tariff payments on some imports, though not cancel the levies outright. But Mr. Trump said Tuesday evening that he had yet to approve the measure, and it was not clear if the administration would ultimately proceed with it.

    “That might be, but I’m going to have to approve the plan,” Mr. Trump said of lowering tariffs. He pushed back on news reports that he had made a decision, saying, “I approve everything and they haven’t presented it to me, so therefore it’s false reporting.”

    People familiar with the deliberations say the administration has been weighing such a deferral, which would apply to the “most-favored nation” tariffs the United States has long imposed on goods from around the globe, rather than the levies Mr. Trump has imposed on Chinese products or foreign metals.

    While the administration previously considered a 90-day deferral, recent discussions have included a 30-day deferral, and people with knowledge of the situation cautioned that the plans remain in flux.

    More @ source
    Trump is a stable genius, that is all.
    kag: to choke something down in disgust

    Keep America Gagging

  18. The Following User Says Thank You to Phantasmal For This Post:

    Trumpet (04-02-2020)

Similar Threads

  1. trump Tariffs Take Toll on Economy
    By katzgar in forum Current Events Forum
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-20-2020, 10:21 AM
  2. why is Trump working night and day to lift Russian Sanctions???
    By reagansghost in forum Current Events Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-10-2019, 10:52 AM
  3. trump Crashes the Economy on new Proposed tariffs.
    By katzgar in forum Current Events Forum
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 08-31-2018, 09:22 AM
  4. Replies: 16
    Last Post: 10-17-2012, 04:00 AM
  5. Illegal immigration declines as U.S. economy falters
    By Socrtease in forum Current Events Forum
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 10-02-2008, 05:56 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Rules

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •