Members banned from this thread: The Anonymous, USFREEDOM911, cancel2 2022, Legion, canceled.2021.2, Text Drivers are Killers, CFM, Getin the ring, RB 60, TOP, volsrock, artichoke, Bobb, Flanders and Grokmaster

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Anyone planning a big food garden in case this pandemic lasts?

1. #16 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,151 Times in 10,077 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,450 Times in 2,265 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jade Dragon View Post
    This won't be over until we have a vaccine. Some fear this may become seasonal and will be back next year if it settles.
    It looks like people are going back to work in China. The measures taken in China must have worked. Yes, it could be 'seasonal'. Hopefully, most of us will have developed an immunity to it. (?)

2. #17 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 82,533 Times in 52,750 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,657 Times in 4,376 Posts
    Blog Entries

We were originally going to get ready to move this summer but now things have drastically changed. Now I'm glad I bought all those seeds last year and got too sidetracked with health issues to use them. Also, I got 3 Aerogrows I'm about to get running for salad greens.
    First I have to rebuild the greenhouse! But yes, this year's garden was already scheduled to be bigger, badder, and better than ever. I bought several of these last year:

https://www.amazon.com/Hydrofarm-HGD...-garden&sr=1-7

Seeds were ordered in January. I'll be starting them indoors this month. We can't really put stuff out (other than inside the greenhouse) until after the first of June. So plenty of time for starts. We're growing the usual annual herbs, Roma tomatoes, jalapenos, peas, potatoes, onions, garlic, summer & winter squash, wax and scarlet runner beans, sunflowers, nasturiums, maybe some container sweet corn too.

What are you growing, Jade?
    "Conservatism is the blind and fear-filled worship of dead radicals." -- Mark Twain

3. #18 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by M. V. Mason View Post
    I wish we could plant a garden,but a giant pine tree sucks up all the water,nothing will grow very good.
    You might have to grow in containers, if you have enough sunlight.
    "Conservatism is the blind and fear-filled worship of dead radicals." -- Mark Twain

4. The Following User Says Thank You to ThatOwlWoman For This Post:

Doc Dutch (04-02-2020)

5. #19 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bull Durham View Post
    I just want to be able to walk into a store and find toilet paper and cleaning supplies. Why can't people hoard arsenic and cyanide, instead?

And liver and broccoli too. lol

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ThatOwlWoman For This Post:

Doc Dutch (04-02-2020), Minister of Truth (04-02-2020)

7. #20 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 68,639 Times in 51,924 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,506 Times in 2,463 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    China is recovering from the Virus, it's just a matter of time.
    .....time enough to grow some kickass cherry tomatoes and hot peppers.
    God bless America and those who defend our Constitution.

"Hatred is a failure of imagination" - Graham Greene, "The Power and the Glory"

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Doc Dutch For This Post:

Jack (04-02-2020)

9. #21 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 68,639 Times in 51,924 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,506 Times in 2,463 Posts
    Blog Entries

This won't be over until we have a vaccine. Some fear this may become seasonal and will be back next year if it settles.
    I tend to agree. Near-instant tests and a safe, effective cure would have the same effect.

Here's something else to consider: everyone gets it. The survivors are immune.
    God bless America and those who defend our Constitution.

"Hatred is a failure of imagination" - Graham Greene, "The Power and the Glory"

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Doc Dutch For This Post:

ThatOwlWoman (04-02-2020)

11. #22 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,581 Times in 9,703 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,312 Times in 1,210 Posts
    Blog Entries

When I lived in upstate NY I has a 30'x80' plot, a rear tine roto-tiller and grew all my vegetables. Canned 80 quarts of tomatoes and sauce. Big freezer stocked for the off seasons. My 2 acres had 15" deep topsoil; beautiful Honoye silt loam. Even started some walnut trees.

Moved to the Piedmont, NC and its all "red dirt", drains poorly. My 1/3 acre lot is great for growing grass, trees and ornamentals but I can't grow food here to save my life. I tried raised beds with rotted leaf mulch, micro-dip watering, trellis systems... What I have managed to grow gets eaten up by the deer.

Up in the mountains we have a lot of trees and therefore shade. My lawn is literally ten feet wide and around only two sides of the house. Soil drains well and is all virgin deciduous forest. I do have a small area that I will garden when I retire but not being there most of the time makes serious gardening nearly impossible.

12. #23 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,196 Times in 3,829 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 261 Times in 257 Posts
    Blog Entries

Northern Michigan, a bit south of Thatowlwoman.
    Cool, I thought it was somewhere in that area..

I usually pass on greens now/last few years as I had a horrible infestation of stink bugs~was my own fault though.. I grew blue curly kale & after the usual run it kept growing & I wanted to see what would happen.

The curly leaves turned leathery collard like (flat) & plant shot up to about 6ft before flowering.. A bug magnet...

Lettuce here is a slug magnet as well as we can only grow it when it's cooler~which is wet here also..

Good luck on your garden this year & the peace & solace it provides..
    "There is no question former President Trump bears moral responsibility. His supporters stormed the Capitol because of the unhinged falsehoods he shouted into the world’s largest megaphone," McConnell wrote. "His behavior during and after the chaos was also unconscionable, from attacking Vice President Mike Pence during the riot to praising the criminals after it ended."

13. #24 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dutch Uncle View Post
    I tend to agree. Near-instant tests and a safe, effective cure would have the same effect.

Here's something else to consider: everyone gets it. The survivors are immune.
    Many are saying/wondering if they actually are immune or still susceptible to a second + wave in the fall, like the Camp Funston flu..
    "There is no question former President Trump bears moral responsibility. His supporters stormed the Capitol because of the unhinged falsehoods he shouted into the world’s largest megaphone," McConnell wrote. "His behavior during and after the chaos was also unconscionable, from attacking Vice President Mike Pence during the riot to praising the criminals after it ended."

14. #25 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Soul View Post
    When I lived in upstate NY I has a 30'x80' plot, a rear tine roto-tiller and grew all my vegetables. Canned 80 quarts of tomatoes and sauce. Big freezer stocked for the off seasons. My 2 acres had 15" deep topsoil; beautiful Honoye silt loam. Even started some walnut trees.

Moved to the Piedmont, NC and its all "red dirt", drains poorly. My 1/3 acre lot is great for growing grass, trees and ornamentals but I can't grow food here to save my life. I tried raised beds with rotted leaf mulch, micro-dip watering, trellis systems... What I have managed to grow gets eaten up by the deer.

Up in the mountains we have a lot of trees and therefore shade. My lawn is literally ten feet wide and around only two sides of the house. Soil drains well and is all virgin deciduous forest. I do have a small area that I will garden when I retire but not being there most of the time makes serious gardening nearly impossible.
    Will you be needing a 10ft fence topped w/ barbed wire to keep the deer out of it??? lol

15. #26 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,581 Times in 9,703 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,312 Times in 1,210 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bill View Post
    Will you be needing a 10ft fence topped w/ barbed wire to keep the deer out of it??? lol
    No kidding. I figured on putting an electric fence about deer nose high but last time I looked int that the units were made for a fence about a mile long, not 100 feet or so.

16. #27 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,834 Times in 6,110 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 710 Times in 658 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ThatOwlWoman View Post
    First I have to rebuild the greenhouse! But yes, this year's garden was already scheduled to be bigger, badder, and better than ever. I bought several of these last year:

https://www.amazon.com/Hydrofarm-HGD...-garden&sr=1-7

Seeds were ordered in January. I'll be starting them indoors this month. We can't really put stuff out (other than inside the greenhouse) until after the first of June. So plenty of time for starts. We're growing the usual annual herbs, Roma tomatoes, jalapenos, peas, potatoes, onions, garlic, summer & winter squash, wax and scarlet runner beans, sunflowers, nasturiums, maybe some container sweet corn too.

What are you growing, Jade?
    Not sure yet but will start with lettuces in the aerogrow.

17. #28 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 18,674 Times in 14,047 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,136 Times in 1,080 Posts

From my experience, the best stock is when doors open early when they have senior and those with underlying condition days. Found a bottle of sanitizer and 8 pack double roll of Charmin. You could only buy 1 or two of high demand items. What pissed me off is the hoarding of the Kleenex brand wet wipes. They won't do shit against a virus but they suit some of my daily OCD uses fine. You can't find them much at all even online.
    Yeah, Costco doors will have just opened, and apparently it will have been the time to be there.

18. #29 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ThatOwlWoman View Post

And liver and broccoli too. lol
    If people horde broccoli to eat they might help with social distancing with there ability to clear a room.

19. #30 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bill View Post
    Cool, I thought it was somewhere in that area..

I usually pass on greens now/last few years as I had a horrible infestation of stink bugs~was my own fault though.. I grew blue curly kale & after the usual run it kept growing & I wanted to see what would happen.

The curly leaves turned leathery collard like (flat) & plant shot up to about 6ft before flowering.. A bug magnet...

Lettuce here is a slug magnet as well as we can only grow it when it's cooler~which is wet here also..

Good luck on your garden this year & the peace & solace it provides..
    Thanks, will do. Growing lettuce is so much better in those Aerogrows since being indoors stops bug and deer munchers.