Members banned from this thread: The Anonymous, USFREEDOM911, cancel2 2022, Legion, canceled.2021.2, Text Drivers are Killers, CFM, Getin the ring, RB 60, TOP, volsrock, artichoke, Bobb, Flanders and Grokmaster

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Anyone planning a big food garden in case this pandemic lasts?

1. #61 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 83,375 Times in 53,261 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,661 Times in 4,380 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Soul View Post
    No the rules govern the height and material of fences; aesthetics. An electric fence is short and barely visible, so no problem.

Every kid should experience getting a buzz off an electric fence at least once. We've all heard and been amused by stories of a boy peeing on one, and the next generation should have the same opportunity to laugh at that.
    Bring that up at the next HOA meeting. lol
    "Conservatism is the blind and fear-filled worship of dead radicals." -- Mark Twain

2. #62 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,581 Times in 9,703 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,312 Times in 1,210 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ThatOwlWoman View Post
    Bring that up at the next HOA meeting. lol
    I agree with the restrictions. I hate fences. When I'm sitting on my deck and look around I want to see trees and flowers, not chain link.

3. #63 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

I agree with the restrictions. I hate fences. When I'm sitting on my deck and look around I want to see trees and flowers, not chain link.
    What about those wooden ones?
    "Conservatism is the blind and fear-filled worship of dead radicals." -- Mark Twain

4. #64 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 69,411 Times in 52,439 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,513 Times in 2,470 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by AProudLefty View Post
    My Grandfather used to grow tomatoes. Fresh and ripe.
    Some people really like gardening; growing green beans, corn, etc but not me. I did, however, like growing cherry tomatoes of various types along with hot peppers. Corns and beans are cheap in the store, so are jalapenos but Anaheims, Habaneros, Bananas and others were fun for variety.
    Nothing like picking the day's crop of cherry tomatoes and peppers for a dinner salad.
    God bless America and those who defend our Constitution.

"Hatred is a failure of imagination" - Graham Greene, "The Power and the Glory"

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Doc Dutch For This Post:

AProudLefty (04-02-2020), ThatOwlWoman (04-02-2020)

6. #65 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ThatOwlWoman View Post
    What about those wooden ones?
    I don't like those either. The only type of fence that I would put up myself is a short section of balanced split rail. I've been thinking of doing that just to add a little definition to a short section of my property line, not as an enclosure. Although I could integrate a two-wire electrical fence with it to make an enclosure around a vegetable garden.

7. #66 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,196 Times in 3,829 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 261 Times in 257 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dutch Uncle View Post
    Some people really like gardening; growing green beans, corn, etc but not me. I did, however, like growing cherry tomatoes of various types along with hot peppers. Corns and beans are cheap in the store, so are jalapenos but Anaheims, Habaneros, Bananas and others were fun for variety.
    Nothing like picking the day's crop of cherry tomatoes and peppers for a dinner salad.
    Yep.... Growing what you want/like is important.... I have grown things & I just give them away..

One of my daughters had a great garden last year, tomatoes, zucchini, & even watermelon..... She did great..... When they were kids we always had a garden.. I would have them go out & pick the cherry tomatoes.. There would be several dozen ready to pick but they would come in w/ half a dozen or so, having eaten the rest..lol Snow peas as well..
    "There is no question former President Trump bears moral responsibility. His supporters stormed the Capitol because of the unhinged falsehoods he shouted into the world’s largest megaphone," McConnell wrote. "His behavior during and after the chaos was also unconscionable, from attacking Vice President Mike Pence during the riot to praising the criminals after it ended."

8. #67 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bill View Post
    Yep.... Growing what you want/like is important.... I have grown things & I just give them away..

One of my daughters had a great garden last year, tomatoes, zucchini, & even watermelon..... She did great..... When they were kids we always had a garden.. I would have them go out & pick the cherry tomatoes.. There would be several dozen ready to pick but they would come in w/ half a dozen or so, having eaten the rest..lol Snow peas as well..
    Along with my huge vegetable garden n NY I also had a line of strawberry plants bred specifically for that region. Damn they were good; large, juicy and sweet. We used to send my son out to harvest some, he was four at the time, and he would always come back with three or four and his face covered with juice. "What did you do with the rest of them?" I'd say, and he'd just shrug his shoulders.

9. #68 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Along with my huge vegetable garden n NY I also had a line of strawberry plants bred specifically for that region. Damn they were good; large, juicy and sweet. We used to send my son out to harvest some, he was four at the time, and he would always come back with three or four and his face covered with juice. "What did you do with the rest of them?" I'd say, and he'd just shrug his shoulders.
    "There is no question former President Trump bears moral responsibility. His supporters stormed the Capitol because of the unhinged falsehoods he shouted into the world’s largest megaphone," McConnell wrote. "His behavior during and after the chaos was also unconscionable, from attacking Vice President Mike Pence during the riot to praising the criminals after it ended."

10. #69 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 69,411 Times in 52,439 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,513 Times in 2,470 Posts
    Blog Entries

Sounds about right. I'd go out for wild raspberries and come back empty handed despite finding several plants.
    God bless America and those who defend our Constitution.

"Hatred is a failure of imagination" - Graham Greene, "The Power and the Glory"

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Doc Dutch For This Post:

MAGA MAN (04-03-2020), ThatOwlWoman (04-02-2020)

12. #70 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

I don't like those either. The only type of fence that I would put up myself is a short section of balanced split rail. I've been thinking of doing that just to add a little definition to a short section of my property line, not as an enclosure. Although I could integrate a two-wire electrical fence with it to make an enclosure around a vegetable garden.

I like those too. There is a house in the next town that has a fence built like that -- but all of birch.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to ThatOwlWoman For This Post:

MAGA MAN (04-03-2020)

14. #71 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

That's the best food there is!

15. #72 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 38,184 Times in 25,719 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,614 Times in 2,498 Posts

Wow, that is a lot of brocc, & it is very easy to grow...
    I didn't know that. You mean from seed?

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
    ― Charles Dickens

16. #73 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,019 Times in 6,218 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 710 Times in 658 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by M. V. Mason View Post
    Pine tree,two really
    But what kind of pine is it?

17. #74 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by christiefan915 View Post
    I didn't know that. You mean from seed?
    Yep... The seeds are tiny but once it gets going it is pretty hardy & leaves are tough..

18. #75 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,019 Times in 6,218 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 710 Times in 658 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by M. V. Mason View Post
    I'm one of those,when I shop I wear a mask,
    gloves ,wipe down the cart handle with sanitizer,I avoid every other person,especially anyone coughing.
    When I leave off come the gloves,hand sanitizer again.When I get home ,wash hands,saline solution up the nose,gargle with salt water!
    You should go to the senior/underlying condition days at the box stores. They completely sanitize the carts and have new stock placed.