Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: "States confront new reality under Trump"

1. #1 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,041 Times in 13,848 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 3,042 Times in 2,838 Posts

Default "States confront new reality under Trump"

"A Darwinian approach to federalism’: States confront new reality under Trump"

"The Trump White House is doubling down on a strategy to govern the coronavirus pandemic: pushing authority and responsibility for the response onto the states."

"But governors have complained openly that they’re stuck competing against each other, with many preferring a more coordinated national response. Former leaders who have sat in their seats say governors need to hear directions clearly outlined from the federal government to local officials."

"But it has a political subtext: The approach could give the White House an opportunity to extract Trump from future criticism as the virus spreads throughout the nation and threatens to kill hundreds of thousands of Americans.

"The president’s advisers are keeping an eye on how policy will be seen through a campaign lens as they try to best position the president to secure another term seven months from now."

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/0...navirus-156875

"Desperate lawmakers hunt for medical supplies as Trump takes hands-off approach"
    https://www.politico.com/news/2020/0...workers-157883

"Pence task force freezes coronavirus aid amid backlash"
    "The heightened scrutiny comes as American health care workers complain of severe shortages of masks, goggles and gloves amid a nationwide spike in coronavirus cases, and as Democrats rip the administration for shipping aid to other countries while vastly underestimating America’s own needs."

The one line says it all; "The approach could give the White House an opportunity to extract Trump from future criticism as the virus spreads throughout the nation." Meaning, he'll always have the Governors to blame, which he has already begun, going to be tough though given that the COVID-19 doesn't know geographical nor political boundary

Now correct me if I am wrong, but when a country is at war, as Trump has said we are, that he is a "war general," isn't it the job of the leader of that country to make sure that those on the front lines have the necessary tools to fight that war to the best of their ability?

2. The Following User Says Thank You to archives For This Post:

Charoite (04-01-2020)

3. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 14,824 Times in 8,868 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 896 Times in 801 Posts
    Blog Entries

Dip Shit in Charge ... this is what you get.
    ONE-N-DONE, YOU GOT PLAYED; Time To Play-On
    Remember ... ELECTIONS HAVE CONSEQUENCES ... So STFU Bitch

4. #3 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Bourbon View Post
    Dip Shit in Charge ... this is what you get.
    I wouldn't say that, he knows exactly what he is doing, that which benefits him the most

Unfortunately for him, playing to his base in a crisis isn't going to help him when it comes to convincing Independents and swing voters, and he is going to be in real trouble as the virus spreads into those ruby red States when their Governors are out having to bid against each other to get needed medical supplies

5. #4 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 23,679 Times in 16,485 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 585 Times in 561 Posts
    Blog Entries

Even in the face of a crisis, Democrat dumbfuckery prevails. You just cannot make this shit up.

6. #5 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 14,824 Times in 8,868 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 896 Times in 801 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by archives View Post
    I wouldn't say that, he knows exactly what he is doing, that which benefits him the most

Unfortunately for him, playing to his base in a crisis isn't going to help him when it comes to convincing Independents and swing voters, and he is going to be in real trouble as the virus spreads into those ruby red States when their Governors are out having to bid against each other to get needed medical supplies

I'm more than confident that Trump and Republican Party will find a way to subvert the rules
    ONE-N-DONE, YOU GOT PLAYED; Time To Play-On
    Remember ... ELECTIONS HAVE CONSEQUENCES ... So STFU Bitch

7. #6 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,360 Times in 14,088 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 649 Times in 616 Posts

Here's why I laugh out loud. Not because I think Trump's doing a good job, I don't. But because so many of you literally complain about everything. Doesn't matter what it is. People here complained that he was going to put a national shelter-in-place order down and people said it was inept thinking and he doesn't have that power and he's an idiot for suggesting it. And then you have people complaining that he hasn't put a national shelter-in-order in place and that we need a more national approach. Well which is it?

8. The Following User Says Thank You to cawacko For This Post:

Sailor (04-01-2020)

9. #7 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,593 Times in 4,192 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,203 Times in 1,060 Posts

White House Admits Trump Has Politicized Coronavirus Response – Favoring Red States

Donald Trump has politicized the federal government’s response to the coronavirus pandemic, from how it allocates medical equipment and supplies like PPE, to how it responds to requests from red state governors versus blue state governors – and a White House official is freely admitting it.

https://www.thenewcivilrightsmovemen...-votes-report/
    BLUEXIT
    A Modest Proposal For Separating Blue States From Red

Dear Red-State Trump Voter,
    Let’s face it, guys: We’re done.

It is a tragedy that so much of the work that so many men and women toiled at for so long to make this a better country, and a better world, has been thrown away, leaving us all in such needless peril.

This is why our separation in all but name is necessary.

https://newrepublic.com/article/1409...mp-red-america

10. #8 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 40,786 Times in 32,152 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,865 Times in 2,752 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by cawacko View Post
    Here's why I laugh out loud. Not because I think Trump's doing a good job, I don't. But because so many of you literally complain about everything. Doesn't matter what it is. People here complained that he was going to put a national shelter-in-place order down and people said it was inept thinking and he doesn't have that power and he's an idiot for suggesting it. And then you have people complaining that he hasn't put a national shelter-in-order in place and that we need a more national approach. Well which is it?
    don't neglect to mention it was the same people complaining both ways.....
    Isaiah 6:5
    “Woe to me!” I cried. “I am ruined! For I am a man of unclean lips, and I live among a people of unclean lips, and my eyes have seen the King, the Lord Almighty.”

11. #9 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by cawacko View Post
    My post concerns the lack of a cohesive, consistent, defined Federal policy to deal with the current crisis and the resulting dilemma that the individual State Governors are facing.

Given the lack of resources you see the medical people are complaining about, and the Governors bitching cause they have to compete against each other for those supplies, I think the described situation is pretty much a fact and not just "complaining about everything"

12. #10 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by PostmodernProphet View Post
    don't neglect to mention it was the same people complaining both ways.....
    No, the Governors have a legitimate concern, why are they competing against each other to obtain the necessary tools to fight the spread of the virus, where is the leadership of the Federal Gov't, who is taking control?

13. #11 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,939 Times in 11,525 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,361 Times in 1,347 Posts
    Blog Entries

"A Darwinian approach to federalism’: States confront new reality under Trump"

"The Trump White House is doubling down on a strategy to govern the coronavirus pandemic: pushing authority and responsibility for the response onto the states."

"But governors have complained openly that they’re stuck competing against each other, with many preferring a more coordinated national response. Former leaders who have sat in their seats say governors need to hear directions clearly outlined from the federal government to local officials."

"But it has a political subtext: The approach could give the White House an opportunity to extract Trump from future criticism as the virus spreads throughout the nation and threatens to kill hundreds of thousands of Americans.

"The president’s advisers are keeping an eye on how policy will be seen through a campaign lens as they try to best position the president to secure another term seven months from now."

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/0...navirus-156875

"Desperate lawmakers hunt for medical supplies as Trump takes hands-off approach"

"Pence task force freezes coronavirus aid amid backlash"
    "The heightened scrutiny comes as American health care workers complain of severe shortages of masks, goggles and gloves amid a nationwide spike in coronavirus cases, and as Democrats rip the administration for shipping aid to other countries while vastly underestimating America’s own needs."

The one line says it all; "The approach could give the White House an opportunity to extract Trump from future criticism as the virus spreads throughout the nation." Meaning, he'll always have the Governors to blame, which he has already begun, going to be tough though given that the COVID-19 doesn't know geographical nor political boundary

Now correct me if I am wrong, but when a country is at war, as Trump has said we are, that he is a "war general," isn't it the job of the leader of that country to make sure that those on the front lines have the necessary tools to fight that war to the best of their ability?
    Trump does not have authority to limit distance of people, limit travel, or close businesses...and he has passed no law for any of these things. The governors have, illegally.

14. #12 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

No, the Governors have a legitimate concern, why are they competing against each other to obtain the necessary tools to fight the spread of the virus, where is the leadership of the Federal Gov't, who is taking control?
    They are not competing. They are whining.

15. #13 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

My post concerns the lack of a cohesive, consistent, defined Federal policy to deal with the current crisis and the resulting dilemma that the individual State Governors are facing.

Given the lack of resources you see the medical people are complaining about, and the Governors bitching cause they have to compete against each other for those supplies, I think the described situation is pretty much a fact and not just "complaining about everything"
    The federal government is not required to supply any hospital or clinic, other than veteran and military hospitals.

16. #14 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Into the Night View Post
    Trump does not have authority to limit distance of people, limit travel, or close businesses...and he has passed no law for any of these things. The governors have, illegally.
    Not about limiting distances, it is about the lack of direction from the Administration, the absence of a coherent policy, leaving all States to basically fend for themselves, as they say, having to compete with each other to obtain necessary supplies.

Every night Trump goes on TV and says what he is doing, but to date, it ain't reaching the State level, testing is still behind, resources are scare, and at the same time, Trump is saying he ain't appreciated

Is no Federal direction, we are fighting a war minus the Commamder in Chief

17. #15 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Into the Night View Post
    The federal government is not required to supply any hospital or clinic, other than veteran and military hospitals.
    Amazing, obvious you don't get it, it is not about "required," it is what they should be doing, it is a national crisis, we need a national response, Federal Gov't should be running the show, running logistics, making sure hospitals have what they need, we are not a third world nation