1. #166 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,095 Times in 13,072 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,908 Times in 5,169 Posts
    Blog Entries

Hello Dutch,

Quote Originally Posted by Dutch Uncle View Post
    It's just evidence of the IQ and Educational bell curves in our nation. They are dying over politics, not science. The reason, IMHO, is that they are poorly educated and susceptible to snake oil salesmen due to their lack of education and/or because they are on the backside of the IQ Bell Curve.

It's not rocket science to understand that all of our leaders are vaxxed. The military mandates vaxxing. Why would a sane, educated person believe that the pandemic or the vaccine is a hoax? IMO, they wouldn't. Only idiots and the mentally ill would believe such silliness.
    Otherwise good and smart people can get taken in by peer pressure. Especially if they do not personally follow the news or make a point or habit to try to distinguish between fact and opinion.

I think it's too easy to just write them off as idiots or mental.
    Personal Ignore Policy PIP: I like civil discourse. I will give you all the respect in the world if you respect me. Mouth off to me, or express overt racism, you will be PERMANENTLY Ignore Listed. Zero tolerance. No exceptions. I'll never read a word you write, even if quoted by another, nor respond to you, nor participate in your threads. ... Ignore the shallow. Cherish the thoughtful. Long Live Civil Discourse, Mutual Respect, and Good Debate! ps: Feel free to adopt my PIP. It works well.

2. #167 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 68,572 Times in 51,893 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,506 Times in 2,463 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PoliTalker View Post
    Hello Dutch,

Otherwise good and smart people can get taken in by peer pressure. Especially if they do not personally follow the news or make a point or habit to try to distinguish between fact and opinion.

I think it's too easy to just write them off as idiots or mental.
    Possible but not common. Mostly it's younger people being taken in by older people, in my experience.

If a smart person is poorly educated, misled and surrounded by nutjobs, yes, that happens. OTOH, this isn't 1930s Appalachia. Almost every home in America has a TV and the internet. People choose what they want to believe.

If they are smart, they choose the facts. If they are not so smart or mentally off, they'll believe the bullshit.
    God bless America and those who defend our Constitution.

"Hatred is a failure of imagination" - Graham Greene, "The Power and the Glory"

3. #168 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,095 Times in 13,072 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,908 Times in 5,169 Posts
    Blog Entries

Hello Dutch Uncle,

Quote Originally Posted by Dutch Uncle View Post
    Possible but not common. Mostly it's younger people being taken in by older people, in my experience.

If a smart person is poorly educated, misled and surrounded by nutjobs, yes, that happens. OTOH, this isn't 1930s Appalachia. Almost every home in America has a TV and the internet. People choose what they want to believe.

If they are smart, they choose the facts. If they are not so smart or mentally off, they'll believe the bullshit.
    There is a distaste to politics and following the news. Many simply choose to stay away. They do not wish to include that as a part of their normal daily lives. Nearly everyone has at least some emotional issues. Politics and the news are depressing. It takes a special kind of person to be able to keep up with the news (which is mostly bad) and politics (which is quite often petty and nasty,) and still maintain a positive outlook. Does refusing to remain well informed indicate mental illness? That could be equated to asking if having some emotional issues means being mentally ill.

When people choose to exclude news and politics from their daily lives on purpose, their only source of being informed is listening to others talk about it, ie, peer pressure.

Does that make someone stupid to do what a well politically informed person would consider foolish?

They could be quite intelligent in many other ways.
    Personal Ignore Policy PIP: I like civil discourse. I will give you all the respect in the world if you respect me. Mouth off to me, or express overt racism, you will be PERMANENTLY Ignore Listed. Zero tolerance. No exceptions. I'll never read a word you write, even if quoted by another, nor respond to you, nor participate in your threads. ... Ignore the shallow. Cherish the thoughtful. Long Live Civil Discourse, Mutual Respect, and Good Debate! ps: Feel free to adopt my PIP. It works well.

4. #169 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,229 Times in 809 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 176 Times in 163 Posts

The talk in bold is excellent and covers Covid and coronaviruses, listen and learn, oh and wash your hands. Funny I used to do this often.

'Why COVID-19 is hitting us now -- and how to prepare for the next outbreak'

https://www.ted.com/talks/alanna_sha..._next_outbreak

'The jungle search for viruses'

https://www.ted.com/talks/nathan_wol...ch_for_viruses
    Wanna make America great, buy American owned, made in the USA, we do. AF Veteran, INFJ-A, I am not PC.

"I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it." Voltaire

5. #170 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 68,572 Times in 51,893 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,506 Times in 2,463 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by midcan5 View Post
    The talk in bold is excellent and covers Covid and coronaviruses, listen and learn, oh and wash your hands. Funny I used to do this often.

'Why COVID-19 is hitting us now -- and how to prepare for the next outbreak'

https://www.ted.com/talks/alanna_sha..._next_outbreak

'The jungle search for viruses'

https://www.ted.com/talks/nathan_wol...ch_for_viruses
    Both my wife and I became sick from COVID a couple weeks ago after attending a wedding. Both of us were fully vaccinated and boosted except for the most recent one (I had it only a few days before and my wife didn't). Although we were both sick for about a week, the worst 36 hours were like a really bad head cold with a slight headache and a few pangs of nausea. We're both over 65. I'm guessing it was the latest variant that has been plaguing the nation.

I think both of us had it before in March 2020 but there's no way to tell if it was some other nasty virus. Chills, aches and laid out in bed for 3 days.

My guess is that it would have been a lot worse without vaccines giving us immunity, even limited immunity, against the latest variant.
    God bless America and those who defend our Constitution.

"Hatred is a failure of imagination" - Graham Greene, "The Power and the Glory"

6. #171 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

'How Virologists in China Worked to Warn the World About COVID-19'

David Quammen on the Origins of the Coronavirus Pandemic'

https://lithub.com/how-virologists-i...bout-covid-19/
    Wanna make America great, buy American owned, made in the USA, we do. AF Veteran, INFJ-A, I am not PC.

"I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it." Voltaire

7. #172 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

A few interesting pieces on impact of Covid and outcomes.

'Realities of the Coronavirus Pandemic: How Will Artists Recover?'

https://www.danceplug.com/article/re...rtists-recover

'China's life expectancy is now higher than that of the US'

'Covid is the main cause of shortened US life expectancy'

https://qz.com/china-life-expectancy...-us-1849483265