Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast

Thread: Trump suggests he may impose quarantine

1. #76 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,362 Times in 14,089 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 649 Times in 616 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ThatOwlWoman View Post
    Because he has more of a clue at any given moment than #COVID-45 has in a month?

Not sure, but I don't think a POTUS (or IMPOTUS) has the power to order a nationwide stay-at-home order. He/she can, otoh, urge all of the states' governors to do so and perhaps offer incentives like FEMA and NG assistance with deliveries of supplies and so on.
    Isn’t the whole argument here the federal government/president can’t do this?

2. The Following User Says Thank You to cawacko For This Post:

TOP (03-29-2020)

3. #77 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 68,633 Times in 51,921 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,506 Times in 2,463 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by cawacko View Post
    Obviously there are limits to Federal power, but Leadership isn't limited to those in authority. It's about persuasion.
    God bless America and those who defend our Constitution.

"Hatred is a failure of imagination" - Graham Greene, "The Power and the Glory"

4. #78 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,622 Times in 8,086 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 639 Times in 618 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dutch Uncle View Post
    You are advocating shredding the Constitution and imposing tyranny. You are no different than the worst of the LW authoritarians who seek to do the same.
    You mean you don’t want to force people to quarantine

5. #79 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Teflon Don View Post
    You mean you don’t want to force people to quarantine
    It would be unconstitutional to do so. Better to lead Americans than to attempt to force them. Unfortunately, reason and good leadership are in short supply these days.

No doubt you do. You've suggested several unconstitutional actions, lied about others and sought to silence opposition.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Doc Dutch For This Post:

ThatOwlWoman (03-29-2020)

7. #80 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,622 Times in 8,086 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 639 Times in 618 Posts

It would be unconstitutional to do so. Better to lead Americans than to attempt to force them. Unfortunately, reason and good leadership are in short supply these days.

No doubt you do. You've suggested several unconstitutional actions, lied about others and sought to silence opposition.
    What unconstitutional actions have I specifically suggested?

For the record I don’t think he should or would do this

He is the most Constitutional President of my lifetime. Leftist democrats like you wouldn’t understand

8. #81 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,175 Times in 2,096 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 80 Times in 80 Posts

Answer: Whenever *you* use them, "assmunch."

Just like their "hero", these trumpanzees lie so much that they cant even keep track of them.
    Please leave your Trump 2024 signs in your yard. That way, my dog will know where to take a dump.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Tacomaman For This Post:

ThatOwlWoman (03-29-2020)

10. #82 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Teflon Don View Post
    ... Leftist democrats like you wouldn’t understand
    More proof you are a liar. Sad.

11. #83 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 82,529 Times in 52,746 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,657 Times in 4,376 Posts
    Blog Entries

I don't know whether he/she can or cannot. I stated: " He/she can, otoh, urge all of the states' governors to do so and perhaps offer incentives like FEMA and NG assistance with deliveries of supplies and so on."

Trump is not doing that. He WILL NOT do that because of the economic consequences. He cares more about his own re-election than the mortality and morbidity of this disease and what it is doing to the citizens.
    "Conservatism is the blind and fear-filled worship of dead radicals." -- Mark Twain

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ThatOwlWoman For This Post:

christiefan915 (03-29-2020), Doc Dutch (03-29-2020)

13. #84 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

I don't know whether he/she can or cannot. I stated: " He/she can, otoh, urge all of the states' governors to do so and perhaps offer incentives like FEMA and NG assistance with deliveries of supplies and so on."

Trump is not doing that. He WILL NOT do that because of the economic consequences. He cares more about his own re-election than the mortality and morbidity of this disease and what it is doing to the citizens.
    I’m asking from a power of the federal government perspective. Maybe I’m misunderstanding the discussion but I read it as the federal government/President can’t order a nationwide shelter-in-place yet that’s what Biden suggested/proposed. There’s a disconnect there

14. #85 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Agreed about Trump's priorities but his staffers may convince him it's in his own best interests to do the right thing.

15. #86 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Absolutely.

A better leader would be urging state governors to issue stay-at-home orders, offer some guidance regarding that, and offer incentives to help out. In addition, he/she could visibly practice social distancing during press conferences. Ever notice how whenever someone else is at the mic speaking, Trump is practically on top of them, making sure his mug gets into the shot too? Back off, man. Have your pressers with separation between speakers, or even have them in separate areas with split screen views like they do with sportscasting.

But no, we have *this* kind of shit from the Right:

"You know, we've talked about the “Deep State” all these years since Trump was elected — the Trump-Russia collusion, the FBI — well, the Deep State extends very deeply. And the American people did not elect a bunch of health experts that we don't know. We didn't elect a president to defer to a bunch of health experts that we don't know. And how do we know they're even health experts? Well, they wear white lab coats, and they've been in the job for a while, and they're at the CDC and they're at the NIH, and they're up, well — yeah, they've been there, and they are there. But has there been any job assessment for them? They're just assumed to be the best because they're in government. But, these are all kinds of things that I've been questioning." -- Rush Limbaugh

https://www.mediamatters.org/coronav...dnt-be-trusted
    "Conservatism is the blind and fear-filled worship of dead radicals." -- Mark Twain

16. #87 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

I’m asking from a power of the federal government perspective. Maybe I’m misunderstanding the discussion but I read it as the federal government/President can’t order a nationwide shelter-in-place yet that’s what Biden suggested/proposed. There’s a disconnect there
    I can't really respond w/o knowing what, exactly, Biden said about that. Do you have a link? Thanks.
    Last edited by ThatOwlWoman; 03-29-2020 at 01:36 PM.

17. #88 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Tacomaman View Post
    Just like their "hero", these trumpanzees lie so much that they cant even keep track of them.
    Very true. At least *some* of the lies from that individual have stopped once proof of them was discovered. So there's still hope. lol

18. #89 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

I can't really respond w/o knowing what, exactly, Biden said that that. Do you have a link? Thanks.
    On my phone but posted the article earlier in this thread (maybe page 2)

19. #90 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,041 Times in 13,848 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 3,042 Times in 2,838 Posts

Technically, he can order it, but I believe legally, he can't enforce it, public health issues are at the control of the State, similar to education or a national speed limit. He can though influence such thru Federal aid