Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 567891011 LastLast

Thread: COVID mortality rate low as .01%

1. #121 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 38,191 Times in 25,724 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,614 Times in 2,498 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Legion View Post
    This is a media scam from the fake news press in America that so hates Trump they will destroy the economy to keep him from winning re-election.
    Quite so. If the economy's destroyed no liberals or media will be affected.

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
    ― Charles Dickens

2. #122 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 35,051 Times in 26,519 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,742 Times in 4,521 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by christiefan915 View Post
    I responded to this a few days ago. People didn't think it was serious, and people wouldn't get vaccinated.

"Early in the pandemic, when no vaccine was available, a majority of Americans were quick to adopt two central public health recommendations (see Table 1). In the pandemic's first weeks, almost two thirds of Americans (59 to 67%) said that they or someone in their family had begun to wash their hands or clean them with sanitizer more frequently, and a majority (55%) had made preparations to stay at home if they or a family member got sick. It was also recommended that people avoid exposure to others with influenza-like symptoms, and 35 to 38% said they had done that (HSPH, April, May, and June 2009).

Measures for reducing interactions with other people were not recommended as routine practice. Nonetheless, polls suggest that 16 to 25% of Americans had avoided “places where many people are gathered, like sporting events, malls, or public transportation,” and 20% had “reduced contact with people outside [their] household as much as possible.”

Between July, when discussions about vaccine availability increased, and October, when a limited amount of vaccine became available, the public was divided over whether they would get vaccinated.

Sixty percent of adults who initially said they did not intend to get the vaccine for themselves and parents who initially said they did not intend to get the vaccine for their children also said that they would change their mind if “there were people in [their] community who were sick or dying from influenza A (H1N1)” (HSPH, September 2009).

There were two major reasons why people said they would not or might not get the H1N1 vaccine, one of which was concern about its safety. Among adults overall, this concern was present but not dominant: most (87%) believed the H1N1 influenza vaccine was “very safe” or “somewhat safe.” However, only 33% believed it was “very safe,” as compared with 57% who said the same of the seasonal influenza vaccine (HSPH, September 2009). Among adults who said they would not or might not get the H1N1 vaccine, concerns about getting H1N1 influenza, another serious illness, or other side effects from it were top “major reasons” for their decision

The other major reason for avoiding the H1N1 vaccine was the belief that it was not needed. Among adults overall, 47 to 50% said they were not concerned that they or their family members would get sick with H1N1 in the next 12 months (HSPH, August–September and September 2009). Among adults who said they would not or might not get the vaccine, the second and third most commonly reported reasons were a belief that they were not at risk for getting a serious case of H1N1 infection (28%) and the idea that if they did acquire H1N1, they could get medication to treat it (26%). A similar fraction (27%) of parents who said they would not or might not have their child vaccinated said that they did not think their child was at risk for getting a serious case (HSPH, September 2009)."

https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/nejmp1005102
    Why are you talking about H1N1? I am talking about A(H3N2), the worst flu epidemic in four decades which killed 80,000 Americans!! That's over three times more than the world total for Covid 19!! It was only two years ago can people have really have forgotten already?
    Last edited by cancel2 2022; 03-26-2020 at 11:57 AM.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cancel2 2022 For This Post:

Earl (03-27-2020), Stretch (03-26-2020)

4. #123 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Havana Moon View Post
    Why are you talking about H1N1? I am talking about A(H3N2), the worst flu epidemic in four decades which killed 80,000 Americans!! That's over three times more than the world total for Covid 19!! It was only two years ago can people have really have forgotten already?
    It's the same story for H3N2 and every other flu. The public doesn't take flu seriously enough.

Three factors contribute to the severity of a flu season: 1) the virulence of the flu strain that dominates in a given season, 2) the efficacy of the flu vaccine, and 3) the vaccination coverage rates. The strain in this flu season, H3N2, is particularly nasty. It’s similar to the H1N1 strain that set off the 1918 influenza pandemic, and it has resulted in high rates of death, particularly among the elderly...

What typically happens when a public good like the flu vaccine is available is that many, perhaps most, people underinvest. They free-ride off other people who get the vaccine. If too many people opt out of vaccination, communities become vulnerable to flu epidemics. According to the CDC, only 38 percent of the population chose to get vaccinated as of November 2017. Low rates of vaccination are particularly dangerous for children and the elderly, who are especially susceptible to influenza...

― Charles Dickens

5. #124 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,758 Times in 11,557 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 889 Times in 847 Posts

Most coronavirus patients recover, still anxiety, fear loom
    Majority affected experience only mild or moderate symptoms
    SKY News
    March 12, 2020 - 4:42 pm

This Feb. 24, 2020 photo provided by Greg and Rose Yerex shows them in a hospital in Nagoya, Japan. Former passengers of the cruise ship Diamond Princess, they both tested positive for the coronavirus. Rose has since tested negative for the virus but decided to stay with Greg until he is cleared to leave. The couple said they're happy to have each other, but that living in isolation has been difficult. "I just want to go home and be normal," Greg said. (Greg Yerex via AP)
    Categories:
    Coronavirus Gainesville
    The Associated Press

SEATTLE (AP) — Amid all the fears, quarantines and stockpiling of food, it has been easy to ignore the fact that more than 60,000 people have recovered from the coronavirus spreading around the globe.

The disease can cause varying degrees of illness and is especially troublesome for older adults and people with existing health problems, who are at risk of severe effects, including pneumonia. But for most of those affected, coronavirus creates only mild or moderate symptoms, such as fever and cough, with the vast majority recovering from the virus.

According to the World Health Organization, people with mild illness recover in about two weeks, while those with more severe ailments may take three to six weeks to rebound. In mainland China, where the virus first exploded, more than 80,000 people have been diagnosed, but more than 60,000 already have recovered.

Because the difference in impact can be so great, global health authorities have the difficult task of alerting the public to the virus' dangers without creating panic.

Already, the widespread consequences of the virus have been staggering, sending shock waves through the world's financial markets. Global oil prices sustained their worst percentage losses since the the Gulf War in 1991, and new restrictions were imposed in Italy and in Israel as the Holy Week approached.

But even some of the most vulnerable patients can fight their way through the disease.

Charlie Campbell’s father, 89-year-old Eugene Campbell, has been diagnosed with the coronavirus and is hospitalized in Edmonds, Washington. Charlie Campbell said his father's doctor is cautiously optimistic, adding, “Under normal circumstances, he would discharge my dad, but these aren’t normal circumstances.”

Eugene Campbell came to the hospital from Life Care Center, a nursing home in Kirkland that has been linked to a large share of the state’s coronavirus deaths.

“We went and saw him yesterday and he looked pretty good,” Campbell said, noting that his father is breathing normally and his vital signs and heart rate are good. “He may be the oldest person to recover from coronavirus.”

In China, Tan Shiyun, a postgraduate student at a university in Wuhan, had traveled to her family home in Yichang over 180 miles away when she began to experience minor symptoms from the virus.

She went to the hospital, where she was given common cold medicine and sent home. It was only after her symptoms persisted and she visited the hospital a second time for an outpatient CT scan and received a call asking her to come back did she understand her symptoms came from something other than the common flu.

After many days and a number of tests, doctors eventually told her that the infection had spread to both of her lungs.

“After that, I felt a heavy head while walking, unable to breathe, and nauseous,” Tan said in a video blog post. But after over two weeks in the hospital, a CT scan showed her infection was disappearing and she was discharged.

For some who’ve been quarantined, anxiety and dread that they will become stigmatized by friends, neighbors and co-workers have equaled their concerns about their physical health. A few patients with the virus who were interviewed by The Associated Press — all of them passengers on the Diamond Princess cruise ship that ended up quarantined off Japan — described symptoms that were no stronger than a regular cold or flu.

For some who’ve been quarantined, anxiety and dread that they will become stigmatized by friends, neighbors and co-workers have made them reluctant to acknowledge even the most modest health impact. A few patients with the virus who were interviewed by The Associated Press — all of them passengers on the Diamond Princess cruise ship that ended up quarantined off Japan — described symptoms that were no stronger than a regular cold or flu.

“It’s been a 2 on a scale of 10,” said Carl Goldman, hospitalized in Omaha, Nebraska, since Feb. 17, after developing a 103-degree fever on a chartered flight from Japan to the U.S.

Goldman is staying hydrated with Gatorade. He said he continued coughing more than two weeks after he first got sick, but would probably only have missed one day of work if he had been diagnosed with the cold or flu. He stays active by pacing in his room, trying to match his pre-sickness routine of 10,000 daily steps on the pedometer.

“I totally get this is where I need to be and I need to be cleared of this before I’m released,” he said.

American Greg Yerex, who was diagnosed along with his wife, Rose Yerex, on the Diamond Princess, said he had no symptoms and felt as healthy as he did on any other normal day.

“If I was home, I would be out doing everything I normally do,” he said in an interview conducted via Facebook calls when the couple were still hospitalized in Nagoya, Japan. Rose Yerex tested negative when she got to the hospital.

For Greg Yerex, it was the couple's mental health that faced the biggest threat as they they spent days in quarantine, isolated from friends and family and deprived of any direct human contact.

“It’s like being a prisoner," he said. “You pace, you worry, you fret, you imagine all sorts of things. You have no control.”

Greg Yerex said that he and his wife, who have since been released from the hospital, plan to go to counseling to work through the mental stress they experienced.

Fellow cruise passenger Rebecca Frasure knows how they feel.

“I don’t get to speak with anyone," she said in a Facebook call while still hospitalized in Nagoya. "I have a little window in my room, but cannot leave. The only contact I have is through Facebook messenger. I would never wish this on anyone.”

Frasure said one of the things she found most frustrating was waiting for her test results to come back. Patients who have been diagnosed with the virus must have two consecutive negative tests before they can be released.

Frasure is now out of the hospital, but is worried about being stigmatized by her home community.

“Are they going to be afraid?" she wondered. ”Are they going to criticize me for being home, thinking I brought virus back with me?"
    Abortion rights dogma can obscure human reason & harden the human heart so much that the same person who feels
    empathy for animal suffering can lack compassion for unborn children who experience lethal violence and excruciating
    pain in abortion.

Unborn animals are protected in their nesting places, humans are not. To abort something is to end something
    which has begun. To abort life is to end it.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Stretch For This Post:

Earl (03-27-2020)

7. #125 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 2 Times in 2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Stretch View Post
    Most coronavirus patients recover, still anxiety, fear loom
    Majority affected experience only mild or moderate symptoms
    SKY News
    March 12, 2020 - 4:42 pm

This Feb. 24, 2020 photo provided by Greg and Rose Yerex shows them in a hospital in Nagoya, Japan. Former passengers of the cruise ship Diamond Princess, they both tested positive for the coronavirus. Rose has since tested negative for the virus but decided to stay with Greg until he is cleared to leave. The couple said they're happy to have each other, but that living in isolation has been difficult. "I just want to go home and be normal," Greg said. (Greg Yerex via AP)
    Categories:
    Coronavirus Gainesville
    The Associated Press

SEATTLE (AP) — Amid all the fears, quarantines and stockpiling of food, it has been easy to ignore the fact that more than 60,000 people have recovered from the coronavirus spreading around the globe.

The disease can cause varying degrees of illness and is especially troublesome for older adults and people with existing health problems, who are at risk of severe effects, including pneumonia. But for most of those affected, coronavirus creates only mild or moderate symptoms, such as fever and cough, with the vast majority recovering from the virus.

According to the World Health Organization, people with mild illness recover in about two weeks, while those with more severe ailments may take three to six weeks to rebound. In mainland China, where the virus first exploded, more than 80,000 people have been diagnosed, but more than 60,000 already have recovered.

Because the difference in impact can be so great, global health authorities have the difficult task of alerting the public to the virus' dangers without creating panic.

Already, the widespread consequences of the virus have been staggering, sending shock waves through the world's financial markets. Global oil prices sustained their worst percentage losses since the the Gulf War in 1991, and new restrictions were imposed in Italy and in Israel as the Holy Week approached.

But even some of the most vulnerable patients can fight their way through the disease.

Charlie Campbell’s father, 89-year-old Eugene Campbell, has been diagnosed with the coronavirus and is hospitalized in Edmonds, Washington. Charlie Campbell said his father's doctor is cautiously optimistic, adding, “Under normal circumstances, he would discharge my dad, but these aren’t normal circumstances.”

Eugene Campbell came to the hospital from Life Care Center, a nursing home in Kirkland that has been linked to a large share of the state’s coronavirus deaths.

“We went and saw him yesterday and he looked pretty good,” Campbell said, noting that his father is breathing normally and his vital signs and heart rate are good. “He may be the oldest person to recover from coronavirus.”

In China, Tan Shiyun, a postgraduate student at a university in Wuhan, had traveled to her family home in Yichang over 180 miles away when she began to experience minor symptoms from the virus.

She went to the hospital, where she was given common cold medicine and sent home. It was only after her symptoms persisted and she visited the hospital a second time for an outpatient CT scan and received a call asking her to come back did she understand her symptoms came from something other than the common flu.

After many days and a number of tests, doctors eventually told her that the infection had spread to both of her lungs.

“After that, I felt a heavy head while walking, unable to breathe, and nauseous,” Tan said in a video blog post. But after over two weeks in the hospital, a CT scan showed her infection was disappearing and she was discharged.

For some who’ve been quarantined, anxiety and dread that they will become stigmatized by friends, neighbors and co-workers have equaled their concerns about their physical health. A few patients with the virus who were interviewed by The Associated Press — all of them passengers on the Diamond Princess cruise ship that ended up quarantined off Japan — described symptoms that were no stronger than a regular cold or flu.

For some who’ve been quarantined, anxiety and dread that they will become stigmatized by friends, neighbors and co-workers have made them reluctant to acknowledge even the most modest health impact. A few patients with the virus who were interviewed by The Associated Press — all of them passengers on the Diamond Princess cruise ship that ended up quarantined off Japan — described symptoms that were no stronger than a regular cold or flu.

“It’s been a 2 on a scale of 10,” said Carl Goldman, hospitalized in Omaha, Nebraska, since Feb. 17, after developing a 103-degree fever on a chartered flight from Japan to the U.S.

Goldman is staying hydrated with Gatorade. He said he continued coughing more than two weeks after he first got sick, but would probably only have missed one day of work if he had been diagnosed with the cold or flu. He stays active by pacing in his room, trying to match his pre-sickness routine of 10,000 daily steps on the pedometer.

“I totally get this is where I need to be and I need to be cleared of this before I’m released,” he said.

American Greg Yerex, who was diagnosed along with his wife, Rose Yerex, on the Diamond Princess, said he had no symptoms and felt as healthy as he did on any other normal day.

“If I was home, I would be out doing everything I normally do,” he said in an interview conducted via Facebook calls when the couple were still hospitalized in Nagoya, Japan. Rose Yerex tested negative when she got to the hospital.

For Greg Yerex, it was the couple's mental health that faced the biggest threat as they they spent days in quarantine, isolated from friends and family and deprived of any direct human contact.

“It’s like being a prisoner," he said. “You pace, you worry, you fret, you imagine all sorts of things. You have no control.”

Greg Yerex said that he and his wife, who have since been released from the hospital, plan to go to counseling to work through the mental stress they experienced.

Fellow cruise passenger Rebecca Frasure knows how they feel.

“I don’t get to speak with anyone," she said in a Facebook call while still hospitalized in Nagoya. "I have a little window in my room, but cannot leave. The only contact I have is through Facebook messenger. I would never wish this on anyone.”

Frasure said one of the things she found most frustrating was waiting for her test results to come back. Patients who have been diagnosed with the virus must have two consecutive negative tests before they can be released.

Frasure is now out of the hospital, but is worried about being stigmatized by her home community.

“Are they going to be afraid?" she wondered. ”Are they going to criticize me for being home, thinking I brought virus back with me?"
    You're wasting your time, Ms. Stretch.

Lie-berals only know how to lie and deny.

8. #126 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

It's the same story for H3N2 and every other flu. The public doesn't take flu seriously enough.

Three factors contribute to the severity of a flu season: 1) the virulence of the flu strain that dominates in a given season, 2) the efficacy of the flu vaccine, and 3) the vaccination coverage rates. The strain in this flu season, H3N2, is particularly nasty. It’s similar to the H1N1 strain that set off the 1918 influenza pandemic, and it has resulted in high rates of death, particularly among the elderly...

What typically happens when a public good like the flu vaccine is available is that many, perhaps most, people underinvest. They free-ride off other people who get the vaccine. If too many people opt out of vaccination, communities become vulnerable to flu epidemics. According to the CDC, only 38 percent of the population chose to get vaccinated as of November 2017. Low rates of vaccination are particularly dangerous for children and the elderly, who are especially susceptible to influenza...
    Still doesn't explain why the US wasn't shut down over it especially considering that Tamiflu was largely ineffective against it.

9. #127 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Still doesn't explain why the US wasn't shut down over it especially considering that Tamiflu was largely ineffective against it.
    The CDC said vaccines were 40-60% effective. Getting a vaccine that has the chance of prevention is better than having no vaccine at all. I'm guessing that a novel strain with no vaccine is scarier to most than a strain that has vaccine.

CDC conducts studies each year to determine how well the influenza (flu) vaccine protects against flu illness. While vaccine effectiveness (VE) can vary, recent studies show that flu vaccination reduces the risk of flu illness by between 40% and 60% among the overall population during seasons when most circulating flu viruses are well-matched to the flu vaccine. In general, current flu vaccines tend to work better against influenza B and influenza A(H1N1) viruses and offer lower protection against influenza A(H3N2) viruses.

― Charles Dickens

10. #128 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Btw did H3N2 hit England and was it shut down?

― Charles Dickens

11. #129 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Btw did H3N2 hit England and was it shut down?
    Yes it did, and no it didn't. However you're missing the point, 80,000 died in 2017 as against just shy of 1300 to date in the US. So why shut down the whole world? To my mind there has been a massive over reaction which will cause huge hardship in the coming years, how can that be justified?
    Last edited by cancel2 2022; 03-26-2020 at 07:53 PM.

12. The Following User Groans At cancel2 2022 For This Awful Post:

Rune (03-26-2020)

13. The Following User Says Thank You to cancel2 2022 For This Post:

Earl (03-27-2020)

14. #130 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Yes it did, and no it didn't. However you're missing the point, 80,000 died in 2017 as against just shy of 1300 to date on the US. So why shut down the whole world?
    I could only answer why the US is shut down, not the world. The # of cases here is now 85,377 and the number of dead is 1,868. We just got the means to test widely. This flu isn't over yet so we don't know what the final numbers will be. As of today the US supposedly has the most known cases.

Maybe the US was shut down because the authorities don't want to face a situation like Italy and Spain.

― Charles Dickens

15. #131 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,835 Times in 8,249 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,899 Times in 5,299 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Omar View Post
    The epidemic started in China sometime in November or December. The first confirmed U.S. cases included a person who traveled from Wuhan on Jan. 15, and it is likely that the virus entered before that: Tens of thousands of people traveled from Wuhan to the U.S. in December. Existing evidence suggests that the virus is highly transmissible and that the number of infections doubles roughly every three days. An epidemic seed on Jan. 1 implies that by March 9 about six million people in the U.S. would have been infected. As of March 23, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, there were 499 Covid-19 deaths in the U.S. If our surmise of six million cases is accurate, that’s a mortality rate of 0.01%, assuming a two week lag between infection and death. This is one-tenth of the flu mortality rate of 0.1%. Such a low death rate would be cause for optimism.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/is-the-....co/yHDGnHwYOw

It’s likely COVID-19 is a highly transmissible but fairly benign disease for the vast majority of people.

And the reason *some* healthcare systems are overwhelmed is because of its explosive transmission rate. There are many more individuals that have/had it than have been tested and the virus was almost certainly in our population before the first confirmed case in Seattle.

Interesting.
    You are so fucking stupid.
    It is the responsibility of every American citizen to own a modern military rifle.

16. The Following User Groans At Rune For This Awful Post:

cancel2 2022 (03-27-2020)

17. #132 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,835 Times in 8,249 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,899 Times in 5,299 Posts
    Blog Entries

Yes it did, and no it didn't. However you're missing the point, 80,000 died in 2017 as against just shy of 1300 to date in the US. So why shut down the whole world? To my mind there has been a massive over reaction which will cause huge hardship in the coming years, how can that be justified?
    Shut the fuck up, retard.
    It is the responsibility of every American citizen to own a modern military rifle.

18. The Following User Groans At Rune For This Awful Post:

cancel2 2022 (03-27-2020)

19. #133 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,936 Times in 2,054 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 948 Times in 862 Posts

You rightys can simply ignore the rules and do what you want, assuming it is still available. Ignore isolation. Don't wash your hands. Lick a corona victim.You will prove us wrong.

20. The Following 2 Users Groan At Gonzomin For This Awful Post:

cancel2 2022 (03-27-2020), Earl (03-27-2020)

21. #134 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

I could only answer why the US is shut down, not the world. The # of cases here is now 85,377 and the number of dead is 1,868. We just got the means to test widely. This flu isn't over yet so we don't know what the final numbers will be. As of today the US supposedly has the most known cases.

Maybe the US was shut down because the authorities don't want to face a situation like Italy and Spain.
    Sorry that just doesn't wash, 80,000 died in the US in 2017-18. To date the worldwide death toll for this virus is just over 24,000 and reaching a plateau. The death toll in the US is a mere 2% of the numbers who died in 2017. There is just no logical reason for it, certainly not from a medical point of view, hence it must be political. I seriously think one of the main reasons is because it's an election year and what better way to hamstring Trump than cause a recession.
    Last edited by cancel2 2022; 03-27-2020 at 02:56 AM.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to cancel2 2022 For This Post:

Earl (03-27-2020)

23. #135 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Rune View Post
    Shut the fuck up, retard.
    Runeatic is back, didn't think the cunt would stay away for long!!