Members banned from this thread: BRUTALITOPS, FUCK THE POLICE, tinfoil, Blackwater Lunchbreak, The Anonymous, USFREEDOM911, PostmodernProphet, Legion, canceled.2021.2, canceled.2021.3, Text Drivers are Killers, Getin the ring, RB 60, TOP, volsrock, Guno צְבִי, artichoke, Bobb, Flanders, Grokmaster and Stone

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: No trolls, adult conversation about Coronavirus.

1. #31 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,812 Times in 6,202 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 493 Times in 469 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jade Dragon View Post
    Back down around the Northern Dayton suburbs. Was looking in a few of them to find the perfect house. My usual luck though. We put moving on the back burner and a house comes on the market that's walking distance to family.
    That's usually the way it goes. My wife's family is from the Dayton area.
    Every life matters

2. #32 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,108 Times in 13,083 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,908 Times in 5,169 Posts
    Blog Entries

Hello Dutch Uncle,

Quote Originally Posted by Dutch Uncle View Post
    Agreed. Trump's claim it was just the flu could come back to bite him. There'll be a 1000 dead American voters by Friday.....mostly Republicans. If the death toll exceeds that of flu, the Democrats will be trumpeting (pun intended) that fact all the way to Election Day.

https://www.npr.org/sections/coronav...e-not-the-same
    1. COVID-19 is novel, or new. That means there's no vaccine, and it's unclear how it will manifest;

2. This strain of coronavirus appears to infect two to 2.5 people versus 1.3 with the flu, so coronavirus seems to be about twice as contagious as the flu;

3. Some 20% of coronavirus patients are in serious enough condition to go to the hospital, 10 times the number who wind up in the hospital because of the flu;

4. Hospital stays for the coronavirus are twice as as long as for the flu;

5. About 8% of people get the flu every year. Some estimates are 25% to 50%, possibly up to 80%, could get the coronavirus without drastic actions being taken by individuals, states and municipalities and the federal government;

6. The coronavirus could be 10 times deadlier than the flu — about 0.1% who get flu die. It's estimated that about 1% of those who have gotten coronavirus have died from it;

7. There are treatments for the flu. There are no approved treatments for the coronavirus, despite the president's optimism for certain drugs, which are untested for coronavirus to this point; and

8. The flu tends to wane in warm weather, but it's too soon to count on that for coronavirus, which is thriving in warm, tropical places.

One of the people advising the president has already argued that this is not a good comparison to make.

"I mean people always say, 'Well, the flu does this, the flu does that,' " Dr. Anthony Fauci, director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, said two weeks ago during a hearing before the House Oversight and Reform Committee. He added, "The flu has a mortality rate of 0.1%. This has a mortality rate of 10 times that. That's the reason I want to emphasize we have to stay ahead of the game in preventing this."
    Oh, there you go. Making good points and sense.

That will never fly with the skeptics.

Thanks for posting facts in such a no-nonsense way.

People need to see such reasonable thinking. Hopefully such rational thought will sink in if it hasn't already.

Deniers are going to have to give it up sooner or later. The only questions are when, and how much damage is needlessly done before they do.

This is not going away. It is wake up time. We are at war. This is not a war of our choosing, but it does unite us all. It's the humans against the bugs. So far, they are kicking our ass. What are we going to do about it?
    Personal Ignore Policy PIP: I like civil discourse. I will give you all the respect in the world if you respect me. Mouth off to me, or express overt racism, you will be PERMANENTLY Ignore Listed. Zero tolerance. No exceptions. I'll never read a word you write, even if quoted by another, nor respond to you, nor participate in your threads. ... Ignore the shallow. Cherish the thoughtful. Long Live Civil Discourse, Mutual Respect, and Good Debate! ps: Feel free to adopt my PIP. It works well.

3. The Following 3 Users Groan At PoliTalker For This Awful Post:

cancel2 2022 (03-25-2020), Earl (03-26-2020), USFREEDOM911 (03-25-2020)

4. #33 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,647 Times in 11,630 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 513 Times in 483 Posts
    Blog Entries

Anyone else on lockdown? Did you get enough supplies?
    Because it was suggested that people have two weeks stock of supplies there are now no paper products or bottled water in our stores. The instruction was for those that had symptoms and might be contagious. Now if someone gets the virus they are screwed or will have to order online. Thankfully some of our stores deliver groceries.

5. #34 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,551 Times in 2,991 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 107 Times in 102 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bill View Post
    I think all churches, mosques & temples etc are doing that in this area..

I think many are kinda nervous about it though......
    It’s definitely strange. We will re-evaluate after next Sunday.

6. #35 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 69,625 Times in 52,599 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,516 Times in 2,473 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PoliTalker View Post
    Hello Dutch Uncle,

Oh, there you go. Making good points and sense.

That will never fly with the skeptics.

Thanks for posting facts in such a no-nonsense way.

People need to see such reasonable thinking. Hopefully such rational thought will sink in if it hasn't already.

Deniers are going to have to give it up sooner or later. The only questions are when, and how much damage is needlessly done before they do.

This is not going away. It is wake up time. We are at war. This is not a war of our choosing, but it does unite us all. It's the humans against the bugs. So far, they are kicking our ass. What are we going to do about it?
    Trump is pushing hard to restart the economy despite the high risk to a large demographic of Trump voters. The Republicans are resisting him because they understand the science, or are listening to the experts. In the end, I think Trump will win. Could be a complete win or a partial win. About 3 weeks after Easter is Cinco de Mayo. Should be fun.

Once Trump lets that particular Genie out of the bottle, it will be difficult for him to put it back in because he never admits to making a mistake. He'll ride that horse all the way to the election, blaming both the Chinese and the Democrats the whole way. If the economy picks up again, despite thousands of dead older Trump voters, that's a point in his favor. If the COVID-19 death count exceeds the annual flu death rates, that'll work against him on election day.

All of that is from a purely economic and political point of view, not the tens of thousands of tragedies Americans will suffer by burying their dead.
    God bless America and those who defend our Constitution.

"Hatred is a failure of imagination" - Graham Greene, "The Power and the Glory"

7. The Following 3 Users Groan At Doc Dutch For This Awful Post:

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Doc Dutch For This Post:

Micawber (03-28-2020), PoliTalker (03-25-2020)

9. #36 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 69,625 Times in 52,599 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,516 Times in 2,473 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bill View Post
    I think all churches, mosques & temples etc are doing that in this area..

I think many are kinda nervous about it though......
    Why are they nervous about a Facebook Live sermon at home? Or did you mean the virus in general?
    God bless America and those who defend our Constitution.

"Hatred is a failure of imagination" - Graham Greene, "The Power and the Glory"

10. #37 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,986 Times in 2,762 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 178 Times in 173 Posts

Not a lock down, but all "non essential" businesses were ordered closed here. I saw this shit storm coming before the sheep did, so I had my shopping completed before the run on the stores happened. When I first saw the articles about toilet paper in Australia, I figured there would be shortages of essentials here.

11. #38 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 179 Times in 168 Posts

I live in mid Missouri between cows and (soon to be) cornfields. No lockdown here but some of the places have shut down. Plenty of supplies in the stores around this area. Shortage of ground beef at grocery stores but the butcher shops have enough.

12. #39 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,108 Times in 13,083 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,908 Times in 5,169 Posts
    Blog Entries

Hello Dutch Uncle,

Trump is pushing hard to restart the economy despite the high risk to a large demographic of Trump voters. The Republicans are resisting him because they understand the science, or are listening to the experts. In the end, I think Trump will win. Could be a complete win or a partial win. About 3 weeks after Easter is Cinco de Mayo. Should be fun.

Once Trump lets that particular Genie out of the bottle, it will be difficult for him to put it back in because he never admits to making a mistake. He'll ride that horse all the way to the election, blaming both the Chinese and the Democrats the whole way. If the economy picks up again, despite thousands of dead older Trump voters, that's a point in his favor. If the COVID-19 death count exceeds the annual flu death rates, that'll work against him on election day.

All of that is from a purely economic and political point of view, not the tens of thousands of tragedies Americans will suffer by burying their dead.
    All good points. Very astute.

I don't think DT is going to get his way. He can say open for business all he wants. Governors are going to do what they need to do. This thing is ramping up fast, exploding. We are not going to be able to pretend it's all clear go back to work in 3 weeks. That's nothing but wishful thinking. DT already changed his tune from the 15 days nonsense. DT will be saying different things in time. That's the way he is. Throw things up against the wall to see what sticks. He is still clinging to denial. Sad. We could so use a really good leader right now. I wish we had FDR.
    Personal Ignore Policy PIP: I like civil discourse. I will give you all the respect in the world if you respect me. Mouth off to me, or express overt racism, you will be PERMANENTLY Ignore Listed. Zero tolerance. No exceptions. I'll never read a word you write, even if quoted by another, nor respond to you, nor participate in your threads. ... Ignore the shallow. Cherish the thoughtful. Long Live Civil Discourse, Mutual Respect, and Good Debate! ps: Feel free to adopt my PIP. It works well.

13. The Following 3 Users Groan At PoliTalker For This Awful Post:

14. The Following User Says Thank You to PoliTalker For This Post:

Doc Dutch (03-25-2020)

15. #40 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,108 Times in 3,183 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 137 Times in 133 Posts
    Blog Entries

I desperately need a haircut. Fortunately, I have a choice of two Stetsons.
    Washington State was officially "locked down" a couple of days ago. Only take out orders are available. We have an excellent chain of drive-in restaurants about a mile from here. I haven't eaten from a McDonald's drive-through in at least a decade. While checking their menu online, I came across an article about the foods the employees won't eat. Topping the list was their fish sandwiches.

I live at the original U.S. epicenter. Patient zero was in my county, of the same medical group, and quarantined at the same hospital where I recently had surgery.

I must gently mock those of you who argue whether Democrats or Republicans will suffer the most as if the virus cares about politics.

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Controlled Opposition For This Post:

Earl (03-26-2020), PoliTalker (03-25-2020), USFREEDOM911 (03-25-2020)

17. #41 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,420 Times in 8,562 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,734 Times in 2,537 Posts

At first I had a letter from my employer saying I was an "employee of an essential business", which I was expected to present to anyone who asked why I was traveling. Last night, I got a letter from the Treasury Department saying I am a "essential worker". Just got a call that tonight I will have my government issued essential worker ID photo. A coworker is locked out of the country in Canada. My employer, the Treasury Department, and the Department of Commerce cannot get him back in the USA. That means I might have to travel to Colorado through at least one state in lockdown. In theory, I will be presenting my government issued essential worker ID to get into Ohio, and to cross the Mississippi.

THIS IS CRAZY!!!

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Walt For This Post:

PoliTalker (03-25-2020)

19. #42 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,040 Times in 6,231 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 710 Times in 658 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Walt View Post
    At first I had a letter from my employer saying I was an "employee of an essential business", which I was expected to present to anyone who asked why I was traveling. Last night, I got a letter from the Treasury Department saying I am a "essential worker". Just got a call that tonight I will have my government issued essential worker ID photo. A coworker is locked out of the country in Canada. My employer, the Treasury Department, and the Department of Commerce cannot get him back in the USA. That means I might have to travel to Colorado through at least one state in lockdown. In theory, I will be presenting my government issued essential worker ID to get into Ohio, and to cross the Mississippi.

THIS IS CRAZY!!!
    I have family in Ohio that were deemed essential because they do the electric at the Air Force base.

20. #43 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,420 Times in 8,562 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,734 Times in 2,537 Posts

I have family in Ohio that were deemed essential because they do the electric at the Air Force base.
    I am just a computer programmer(a software engineer if I am feeling fancy). I do work on financial industry software, but not in a direct way. I write libraries and compilers for the people who write the software for the financial industry. I am sort of derivatively essential. When there is a major bug in the parts of the software that runs our financial system that I work on, I am essential. Then there are weeks where I am just in the way if I show up to work, and they are fine with me staying home.

21. #44 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 14,824 Times in 8,868 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 896 Times in 801 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PoliTalker View Post
    Why this is not comparable to seasonal flu:

Seasonal flu does not overwhelm hospitals all over the planet!

Simply put, there a SHOT for "The Simple Seasonal Flue" and there's a lot of people who have developed an immune to it.

Not for Coronavirous ...
    ONE-N-DONE, YOU GOT PLAYED; Time To Play-On
    Remember ... ELECTIONS HAVE CONSEQUENCES ... So STFU Bitch

22. The Following User Groans At Bourbon For This Awful Post:

cancel2 2022 (03-28-2020)

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Bourbon For This Post:

PoliTalker (03-25-2020)

24. #45 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,865 Times in 7,323 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 785 Times in 732 Posts
    Blog Entries

You going to house people who are foreclosed on?
    WATERMARK, GREATEST OF THE TRINITY, ON CHIK-FIL-A
    Quote Originally Posted by Sigmund Freud View Post
    The fields of mediocre chicken sandwiches shall be sowed with salt, so that nothing may ever grow there again.
    www.gunsbeerfreedom.blogspot.com

www.gunsbeerfreedom.blogspot.com

25. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to /MSG/ For This Post:

Controlled Opposition (03-25-2020), Earl (03-26-2020), USFREEDOM911 (03-25-2020)