Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Italian mom coV19 lockdown. things I wish done differently before things got bad

1. #1 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,196 Times in 3,829 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 261 Times in 257 Posts
    Blog Entries

Werewolf Italian mom coV19 lockdown. things I wish done differently before things got bad

I hope everyone is staying well, safe, keeping your distance & taking precautions, you probably have some unused precautions to spare..

Italy has been hit hard by the coronavirus outbreak that's rapidly spreading worldwide.

The country is on lockdown, its 60 million citizens have been instructed to remain indoors, and all public gatherings have been canceled.

Katherine Wilson, a mother of two who lives in Rome, said she wished that she and other Italians had listened to warnings about the coronavirus. She warned Americans not to make "similar misguided choices."

Visit Insider's homepage for more stories.

In Italy right now, we are experiencing a complete and total national lockdown — something that might happen in the US in the near future.

The virus has ravaged our country. Hospitals in the north are on the verge of collapse. Intensive-care units are full of people who are elderly, but also people who are 40 and 50. The streets are empty, and restaurants are closed. You have to have an authorization paper to walk your dog.

Only 10 days ago in Rome, this wasn't the case. The government had closed schools and most sporting facilities, but nothing else. Our teenagers were socializing in the evening with their friends. Kids had time on their hands and were healthy and well rested. Did we, as parents, really want them at home on their screens, where they'd been all day?

"What are you going to do?" mothers often texted each other. "Are you letting him go?"
    Katherine Wilson

Our teens were going stir-crazy at home. Their friends were going out, and the government hadn't told us to restrict their activities. So, reasoning that this was a disease that didn't strike teenagers, we told them to wash their hands and unleashed them onto the sidewalks and piazzas, into other people's cars and homes.

Nearly two weeks later, I realize that this was a mistake. But this wasn't the only one that contributed to Italy's demise amid the coronavirus outbreak. To help prevent my American friends from making similar misguided choices, I've compiled a list of do's and don'ts for families in the US — a list I wish I'd had only a couple of weeks ago.

ASSOCIATED PRESS

The only thing that could have prevented — or mitigated — this tragedy in Italy is social distancing.

I'm not talking about a high-five instead of a handshake, or grandchildren not hugging their grandparents. I'm talking about not being close to another human being who is not your immediate family. This is the only available and effective measure to help slow the transmission of the disease.

Don't pay attention to what other parents are doing
    When your teen complains that other parents are letting their kids go out and party, your reply should be something along the lines of "Where are my Beats?" Tune them out.

If in a few weeks reality reflects that you were too conservative, then hallelujah.

Global technology gave this virus the possibility to travel at the speed of light, and it also gave us Netflix.

Nobody is expecting you to entertain or stimulate or engage with your children at all times when there is a pandemic. It's OK if, for now, biology class gets replaced by Instagram and TikTok. Just accept it.

Do shop responsibly
    There is no reason to hoard supplies. In Italy, even now, we are still allowed to go to the supermarket every day if we need to, and the shelves are full.

Instead of stocking up on toilet paper, buy food that you've always wanted to cook but never had the time to. In lockdown, you'll have the leisure to let things simmer, soak, and rise.

More @ source
    "There is no question former President Trump bears moral responsibility. His supporters stormed the Capitol because of the unhinged falsehoods he shouted into the world’s largest megaphone," McConnell wrote. "His behavior during and after the chaos was also unconscionable, from attacking Vice President Mike Pence during the riot to praising the criminals after it ended."

2. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,647 Times in 16,577 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,435 Times in 1,357 Posts
    Blog Entries

I'd thank this but I can't... Good advice from this mom....
    Take care Bill

3. #3 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 2 Times in 2 Posts

I wonder how many Italians who have universal health care wish they were Americans right now.

4. #4 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,196 Times in 3,829 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 261 Times in 257 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TOP View Post
    I'd thank this but I can't... Good advice from this mom....
    Take care Bill
    You as well, thank you!!
    "There is no question former President Trump bears moral responsibility. His supporters stormed the Capitol because of the unhinged falsehoods he shouted into the world’s largest megaphone," McConnell wrote. "His behavior during and after the chaos was also unconscionable, from attacking Vice President Mike Pence during the riot to praising the criminals after it ended."

5. #5 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,865 Times in 7,323 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 785 Times in 732 Posts
    Blog Entries

I agree, everyone should strive to be a misanthropic hermit like I am.
    WATERMARK, GREATEST OF THE TRINITY, ON CHIK-FIL-A
    Quote Originally Posted by Sigmund Freud View Post
    The fields of mediocre chicken sandwiches shall be sowed with salt, so that nothing may ever grow there again.
    www.gunsbeerfreedom.blogspot.com

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to /MSG/ For This Post:

Earl (03-17-2020), Truth Detector (03-17-2020)

7. #6 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by I<3Big Anime Tiddies View Post
    You're my idol, Billy. Really.

8. #7 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,338 Times in 2,286 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 633 Times in 549 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by I<3Big Anime Tiddies View Post
    Introverts unite... separately and in your own houses... don't forget a snack.

9. #8 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 63 Times in 55 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Legion View Post
    I wonder how many Italians who have universal health care wish they were Americans right now.
    None. Being that our health care system is 37 on the list and theirs is 2nd.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to crowonapost For This Post:

Guno צְבִי (03-17-2020), Tranquillus in Exile (03-17-2020)

11. #9 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,338 Times in 2,286 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 633 Times in 549 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bill View Post
    I hope everyone is staying well, safe, keeping your distance & taking precautions, you probably have some unused precautions to spare..

Italy has been hit hard by the coronavirus outbreak that's rapidly spreading worldwide.

The country is on lockdown, its 60 million citizens have been instructed to remain indoors, and all public gatherings have been canceled.

Katherine Wilson, a mother of two who lives in Rome, said she wished that she and other Italians had listened to warnings about the coronavirus. She warned Americans not to make "similar misguided choices."

Visit Insider's homepage for more stories.

In Italy right now, we are experiencing a complete and total national lockdown — something that might happen in the US in the near future.

The virus has ravaged our country. Hospitals in the north are on the verge of collapse. Intensive-care units are full of people who are elderly, but also people who are 40 and 50. The streets are empty, and restaurants are closed. You have to have an authorization paper to walk your dog.

Only 10 days ago in Rome, this wasn't the case. The government had closed schools and most sporting facilities, but nothing else. Our teenagers were socializing in the evening with their friends. Kids had time on their hands and were healthy and well rested. Did we, as parents, really want them at home on their screens, where they'd been all day?

"What are you going to do?" mothers often texted each other. "Are you letting him go?"
    Katherine Wilson

Our teens were going stir-crazy at home. Their friends were going out, and the government hadn't told us to restrict their activities. So, reasoning that this was a disease that didn't strike teenagers, we told them to wash their hands and unleashed them onto the sidewalks and piazzas, into other people's cars and homes.

Nearly two weeks later, I realize that this was a mistake. But this wasn't the only one that contributed to Italy's demise amid the coronavirus outbreak. To help prevent my American friends from making similar misguided choices, I've compiled a list of do's and don'ts for families in the US — a list I wish I'd had only a couple of weeks ago.

ASSOCIATED PRESS

The only thing that could have prevented — or mitigated — this tragedy in Italy is social distancing.

I'm not talking about a high-five instead of a handshake, or grandchildren not hugging their grandparents. I'm talking about not being close to another human being who is not your immediate family. This is the only available and effective measure to help slow the transmission of the disease.

Don't pay attention to what other parents are doing
    When your teen complains that other parents are letting their kids go out and party, your reply should be something along the lines of "Where are my Beats?" Tune them out.

If in a few weeks reality reflects that you were too conservative, then hallelujah.

Global technology gave this virus the possibility to travel at the speed of light, and it also gave us Netflix.

Nobody is expecting you to entertain or stimulate or engage with your children at all times when there is a pandemic. It's OK if, for now, biology class gets replaced by Instagram and TikTok. Just accept it.

Do shop responsibly
    There is no reason to hoard supplies. In Italy, even now, we are still allowed to go to the supermarket every day if we need to, and the shelves are full.

Instead of stocking up on toilet paper, buy food that you've always wanted to cook but never had the time to. In lockdown, you'll have the leisure to let things simmer, soak, and rise.

More @ source
    Italians are very family-oriented and social people. It never worked to their advantage here. To be fair I think a lot of the response we started in with is because of how Italy was hit. I'm sure we'd be worse for wear if that didn't rustle a few feathers. I still can't believe some still don't give this the seriousness it deserves.

12. #10 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by stark raven mad View Post
    None. Being that our health care system is 37 on the list and theirs is 2nd.
    How's that ranking working out for them right now?

GOVERNMENT-RUN HEALTHCARE IN ACTION

Health officials in Italy have issued guidelines for rationing care as hospitals there struggle to keep up with the surge of patients infected with the Chinese virus.

Doctors are being told that they'll likely need to deny care to senior citizens and those with other health conditions as the foreign virus explodes across the nation.

Italy's government-run healthcare system has been swamped by the still not-well-understood COVID-29, with more than 1,200 confirmed cases and 827 deaths—second only to China—and 16 million residents currently under quarantine.

An article published by the Italian College of Anesthesia, Analgesia, Resuscitation and Intensive Care warns that "It may be necessary to establish criteria of access to intensive care not just on the basis of clinical appropriateness but inspired by the most consensual criteria regarding distributive justice and the appropriate allocation of limited health resources." The report goes on to recommend rationing care to certain populations.

Rationing health care is nothing new in Italy and in fact has become an "established trend" in recent years amid an ongoing economic crisis that has strained government resources, including the government-run healthcare system.

"In a context of grave shortage of medical resources, the allocation criteria need to guarantee that those patients with the highest chance of therapeutic success will retain access to intensive care. It's a matter of giving priority to 'the highest hope of life and survival,'" the health experts explain.

"It may become necessary," they warn, "to establish an age limit for access to intensive care."

"In addition to age, the presence of comorbidities [additional chronic conditions] needs to be carefully evaluated. It is conceivable that what might be a relatively short treatment course in healthier people could be longer and more resource-consuming in the case of older or more fragile patients."

Northern Italy has been hit particularly hard by the Chinese virus, with doctors reporting conditions usually associated with wartime, as the death toll increases by the hour and government-run hospitals are short-staffed and out of beds.

13. #11 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Croc o' shit View Post
    I still can't believe some still don't give this the seriousness it deserves
    Like rationing care? Like that?

DEATH PANELS, NOT ENOUGH BEDS, AND LETTING OLD PEOPLE DIE - THIS IS UNIVERSAL HEALTH CARE, WHICH LIBERALS WANT TO IMPOSE ON THE UNITED STATES -

14. #12 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,865 Times in 7,323 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 785 Times in 732 Posts
    Blog Entries

You're my idol, Billy. Really.
    WATERMARK, GREATEST OF THE TRINITY, ON CHIK-FIL-A
    Quote Originally Posted by Sigmund Freud View Post
    The fields of mediocre chicken sandwiches shall be sowed with salt, so that nothing may ever grow there again.

15. #13 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 24,822 Times in 17,257 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,596 Times in 4,274 Posts

none. Our healthcare is expensive and substandard.

16. #14 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Nerdberg View Post
    none.
    You don't speak for all Italians, Nerdberg, and they're dying by the thousands with "highly rated" universal health care. Any thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by Nerdberg View Post
    Our healthcare is expensive and substandard.
    Why haven't you emigrated to Italy, then?

DEATH PANELS, NOT ENOUGH BEDS, AND LETTING OLD PEOPLE DIE - THIS IS UNIVERSAL HEALTH CARE, WHICH LIBERALS WANT TO IMPOSE ON THE UNITED STATES -

17. #15 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 63 Times in 55 Posts
    Blog Entries

How's that ranking working out for them right now?

GOVERNMENT-RUN HEALTHCARE IN ACTION

Health officials in Italy have issued guidelines for rationing care as hospitals there struggle to keep up with the surge of patients infected with the Chinese virus.

Doctors are being told that they'll likely need to deny care to senior citizens and those with other health conditions as the foreign virus explodes across the nation.

Italy's government-run healthcare system has been swamped by the still not-well-understood COVID-29, with more than 1,200 confirmed cases and 827 deaths—second only to China—and 16 million residents currently under quarantine.

An article published by the Italian College of Anesthesia, Analgesia, Resuscitation and Intensive Care warns that "It may be necessary to establish criteria of access to intensive care not just on the basis of clinical appropriateness but inspired by the most consensual criteria regarding distributive justice and the appropriate allocation of limited health resources." The report goes on to recommend rationing care to certain populations.

Rationing health care is nothing new in Italy and in fact has become an "established trend" in recent years amid an ongoing economic crisis that has strained government resources, including the government-run healthcare system.

"In a context of grave shortage of medical resources, the allocation criteria need to guarantee that those patients with the highest chance of therapeutic success will retain access to intensive care. It's a matter of giving priority to 'the highest hope of life and survival,'" the health experts explain.

"It may become necessary," they warn, "to establish an age limit for access to intensive care."

"In addition to age, the presence of comorbidities [additional chronic conditions] needs to be carefully evaluated. It is conceivable that what might be a relatively short treatment course in healthier people could be longer and more resource-consuming in the case of older or more fragile patients."

Northern Italy has been hit particularly hard by the Chinese virus, with doctors reporting conditions usually associated with wartime, as the death toll increases by the hour and government-run hospitals are short-staffed and out of beds.

What seriously goes over your head is that with the top ranked health care in the world, they are overwhelmed. All you are doing, though I think you fail to grasp this, is reinforce the point that nationalizing even is not enough for this. Our rationing will be 10 times worse because we have a privatized and gutted health care system. Spain literally just nationalized their Healthcare NOW because they see the shit storm coming down.