Thread: Your Dutch Uncle

1. #1 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 68,633 Times in 51,921 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,506 Times in 2,463 Posts
    Blog Entries

Default Your Dutch Uncle

Yes, I've been on a few days, made several posts already but recently wrote much of what is posted below and thought it was appropriate to edit a bit and put it here so y'all know where I was coming from.

Not bragging, but my Bachelor degree was in Behavioral Psychology, late 1970s. Although mine was a military aviation career, I always maintained an interest in that field of study. Yes, I was able to apply it in my career and life, but I never did actual work (research) in the field.

I've been online since 1986 when there were BBS's using 300 baud modems...you could actually see the words type across the screen as the other person responded. In those days we'd meet once a quarter, drink beer and share software on 5.25" discs, later 3.5" discs. I wasn't a member of political forums until around 2008. Since then, and getting to the point, I've noticed that there seems to be more mentally ill people online than in real life (IRL).

In some ways I think it might not be mental illness but an example of "a drunk man's words are a sober man's thoughts". The mask of anonymity given by online forums allows people to say their true thoughts without fear of recrimination. That point aside, and I do believe it's the most common reason some people are bigoted, biased assholes regardless of political affiliation, my observations over the years tell me that there are, indeed, a higher number of truly mentally ill people online.

Here's my theory on why: anyone with access to the Internet can log on to a forum. People shut in behind locked doors of a private mental facility, retirement home or group home can access computers. Even if a person, and notice there's lot of elderly people online, is living with their adult child, due to health, they can't get out much and the Internet is their access to the world. Their primary access. Being in pain, they express that pain in posts to virtual others, "people" they think are as real as the ones they kill in video games or beat in Farmville, whatever.

Last point: people who are angry and/or hateful are often in pain. Most people are good. A happy person is often good. An unhappy person often is not good. These are generalities, so individuals vary, but it's not that hard to look at others on this forum and form a general opinion on their behavior. This isn't an excuse for these hateful people, but an attempt to understand them and put their behavior in perspective. Seriously: should we hate a person who is mentally deranged or just pity them, lock them up and move on?

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Doc Dutch For This Post:

anonymoose (03-12-2020), StoneByStone (03-22-2020), USFREEDOM911 (03-12-2020)

3. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,338 Times in 2,286 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 633 Times in 549 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dutch Uncle View Post
    Yes, I've been on a few days, made several posts already but recently wrote much of what is posted below and thought it was appropriate to edit a bit and put it here so y'all know where I was coming from.

Not bragging, but my Bachelor degree was in Behavioral Psychology, late 1970s. Although mine was a military aviation career, I always maintained an interest in that field of study. Yes, I was able to apply it in my career and life, but I never did actual work (research) in the field.

I've been online since 1986 when there were BBS's using 300 baud modems...you could actually see the words type across the screen as the other person responded. In those days we'd meet once a quarter, drink beer and share software on 5.25" discs, later 3.5" discs. I wasn't a member of political forums until around 2008. Since then, and getting to the point, I've noticed that there seems to be more mentally ill people online than in real life (IRL).

In some ways I think it might not be mental illness but an example of "a drunk man's words are a sober man's thoughts". The mask of anonymity given by online forums allows people to say their true thoughts without fear of recrimination. That point aside, and I do believe it's the most common reason some people are bigoted, biased assholes regardless of political affiliation, my observations over the years tell me that there are, indeed, a higher number of truly mentally ill people online.

Here's my theory on why: anyone with access to the Internet can log on to a forum. People shut in behind locked doors of a private mental facility, retirement home or group home can access computers. Even if a person, and notice there's lot of elderly people online, is living with their adult child, due to health, they can't get out much and the Internet is their access to the world. Their primary access. Being in pain, they express that pain in posts to virtual others, "people" they think are as real as the ones they kill in video games or beat in Farmville, whatever.

Last point: people who are angry and/or hateful are often in pain. Most people are good. A happy person is often good. An unhappy person often is not good. These are generalities, so individuals vary, but it's not that hard to look at others on this forum and form a general opinion on their behavior. This isn't an excuse for these hateful people, but an attempt to understand them and put their behavior in perspective. Seriously: should we hate a person who is mentally deranged or just pity them, lock them up and move on?
    There are plenty of mental black sheep out there in the troll community. You already attracted Legion Troll's attention.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Charoite For This Post:

Doc Dutch (03-12-2020)

5. #3 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 40,786 Times in 32,152 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,865 Times in 2,752 Posts
    Blog Entries

all my uncles were Dutch.........
    Isaiah 6:5
    “Woe to me!” I cried. “I am ruined! For I am a man of unclean lips, and I live among a people of unclean lips, and my eyes have seen the King, the Lord Almighty.”

6. The Following User Says Thank You to PostmodernProphet For This Post:

Doc Dutch (03-12-2020)

7. #4 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Crocodile View Post
    There are plenty of mental black sheep out there in the troll community. You already attracted Legion Troll's attention.
    "Troll" is a common word, common "personality", but I'm interested in something deeper: What is a troll? Why troll? What type of personality does it take to "troll"?

Although I haven't done a formal study, there are archival studies such as this one: https://www.sciencedirect.com/scienc...91886917304270
    Highlights
    • Trolling is an online antisocial behaviour with negative psychological outcomes.

• Current study predicted trolling perpetration from gender and personality.

• Trolls more likely to be male with high levels of trait psychopathy and sadism

• Trolls have lower affective empathy, and psychopathy moderates cognitive empathy.

• Results have implications for establishing education and prevention programs.

Normal adult human beings may not be able to explain these traits but they can certainly recognize them.

8. #5 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,440 Times in 2,013 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 611 Times in 582 Posts

I was born in Germany then we moved to the Netherlands!
    Tie Your 'roo down Mate

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Mason Melchizedek For This Post:

Doc Dutch (03-12-2020)

10. #6 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,151 Times in 10,077 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,450 Times in 2,265 Posts
    Blog Entries

I haven't been to many 'Forums', but here at JPP it seems like the 'mentality' is more in line with 'Sport Teams'. You pick a side, then root for that side no matter what.
    I've labeled it 'Red Team/Blue Team'.

Red Team watches Fox and parrots the talking points.
    Blue Team watches CNN and does the same.

Once in a while you can find people that will actually discuss an Issue, ... but not usually.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Jack For This Post:

Doc Dutch (03-12-2020)

12. #7 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    I haven't been to many 'Forums', but here at JPP it seems like the 'mentality' is more in line with 'Sport Teams'. You pick a side, then root for that side no matter what.

Once in a while you can find people that will actually discuss an Issue, ... but not usually.
    JPP is more mud-slinging than most forums, but, IMO, most political forums are as you pointed out: "pick a side". Extremists are the loudest, but also the fewest. Most people are sane, polite and willing to consider both sides of problem/solution...but they are also usually busier doing other things than bitching on an Internet forum.

I'll be the first to admit I waste waaaaaay too much time writing on these forums rather than doing other things such as working on welding projects or writing for personal pleasure/profit.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Doc Dutch For This Post:

Jack (03-12-2020)

14. #8 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 27,335 Times in 22,664 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 3,239 Times in 2,979 Posts
    Blog Entries

I've seen some of your left leaning posts; they don't come across as very intelligent. But I am willing to hold out judgement for another week or so.

Who will you be voting for in November? Anyone but Trump?
    "When government fears the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny."

A lie doesn't become the truth, wrong doesn't become right, and evil doesn't become good just because it is accepted by a majority.
    Author: Booker T. Washington

Quote Originally Posted by Nomad View Post
    Unless you just can't stand the idea of "ni**ers" teaching white kids.

Quote Originally Posted by AProudLefty View Post
    Address the topic, not other posters.

15. #9 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Crocodile View Post
    Good lord dude, BUY A MIRROR already.
    "When government fears the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny."

A lie doesn't become the truth, wrong doesn't become right, and evil doesn't become good just because it is accepted by a majority.

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Truth Detector For This Post:

Controlled Opposition (03-22-2020), countryboy (03-23-2020), RB 60 (03-13-2020)

17. #10 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

"Troll" is a common word, common "personality", but I'm interested in something deeper: What is a troll? Why troll? What type of personality does it take to "troll"?

Although I haven't done a formal study, there are archival studies such as this one: https://www.sciencedirect.com/scienc...91886917304270
    Highlights
    • Trolling is an online antisocial behaviour with negative psychological outcomes.

• Current study predicted trolling perpetration from gender and personality.

• Trolls more likely to be male with high levels of trait psychopathy and sadism

• Trolls have lower affective empathy, and psychopathy moderates cognitive empathy.

• Results have implications for establishing education and prevention programs.

Normal adult human beings may not be able to explain these traits but they can certainly recognize them.
    Wow; that defines the typical leftists on this forum. Scary!

18. #11 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Still hoping you will.

19. #12 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Truth Detector View Post
    Good advice which you should take.

20. #13 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

JPP is more mud-slinging than most forums, but, IMO, most political forums are as you pointed out: "pick a side". Extremists are the loudest, but also the fewest. Most people are sane, polite and willing to consider both sides of problem/solution...but they are also usually busier doing other things than bitching on an Internet forum.

I'll be the first to admit I waste waaaaaay too much time writing on these forums rather than doing other things such as working on welding projects or writing for personal pleasure/profit.
    You haven't seen many of Jack's posts; you might want to do some research before you back-slap with him.

21. #14 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Good advice which you should take.
    Really? Why do you say that? Let's discuss this in an adult like manner and test your psychological theories? I am betting I can have you triggered in four or five posts by exposing your glaring hypocrisy.

GO!

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Truth Detector For This Post:

MAGA MAN (03-12-2020)

23. #15 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Wow; that defines the typical leftists on this forum. Scary!
    I've seen some of your left leaning posts; they don't come across as very intelligent. But I am willing to hold out judgement for another week or so.

Really? Why do you say that? Let's discuss this in an adult like manner and test your psychological theories? I am betting I can have you triggered in four or five posts by exposing your glaring hypocrisy.

GO!
    You haven't seen many of Jack's posts; you might want to do some research before you back-slap with him.

No doubt most people can note the tone and demeanor of your posts fits exactly what I pointed out. Sad.

....Here's my theory on why: anyone with access to the Internet can log on to a forum. People shut in behind locked doors of a private mental facility, retirement home or group home can access computers. Even if a person, and notice there's lot of elderly people online, is living with their adult child, due to health, they can't get out much and the Internet is their access to the world. Their primary access. Being in pain, they express that pain in posts to virtual others, "people" they think are as real as the ones they kill in video games or beat in Farmville, whatever.

24. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Doc Dutch For This Post:

Charoite (03-12-2020), Mason Michaels (03-12-2020), ThatOwlWoman (03-12-2020)