Thread: Bump The Handshake Out Of Existence

1. #1 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 102 Times in 89 Posts

Default Bump The Handshake Out Of Existence

President Trump, a self-professed germophobe, said Thursday night that despite concerns over transmitting the coronavirus, he will continue to shake hands with people.

At a town hall meeting in Scranton, Penn., televised by Fox, Trump was asked if he has made any changes to his habits since the outbreak.

Trump responded that "if there was ever a time where you convince people not to shake hands this could be it." But Trump went on, "you can't be a politician and not shake hands."

In fact, health experts say shaking hands is a practice best avoided as it can easily transmit viruses from one person to the next.

Trump Says He Still Has To Shake Hands, Despite Coronavirus Concerns
    By Brian Naylor
    Originally published on March 6, 2020 8:44 am

https://www.delawarepublic.org/post/...virus-concerns

Thanks to the coronavirus Trump has a shot at going down in history as the president that replaced the handshake with the:

I have been doing the bump for many years. Tough-shit to the handshakers if they do not like it regardless of how long pressing-the-flesh has been practiced.

Handshakers always have to demonstrate how strong they are. The shorter they are, the tighter they squeeze. Shaking a mighty midget’s hand would have been doubly painful for me after I got a touch of arthritis in my hands.

THE BUMP replacing the handshake is the only good thing that could come out of the coronavirus scam:

While handshaking is still the most ubiquitous greeting around the world, it may be losing ground in the US. The fist bump was, until recently, a gesture mostly used by athletes and young people. Now it’s becoming more and more common among everyone, including older people. Even the President of the United States is a fan of the fist bump. According to one survey, forty nine percent of Americans sometimes choose the fist bump over a traditional handshake greeting. The fist bump, made by making a fist and lightly touching knuckles, may be a more fashionable greeting, but for many it’s a pragmatic choice. Many survey participants said they preferred the fist bump because they were afraid of catching germs by shaking hands. How do people greet each other in your country? Is the fist bump catching on where you live?

https://deepenglish.com/2014/07/hand...g-fluency-116/

Finally, I was never a believer in the handshake. Even as a kid I knew there was no better way to catch a disease than through the pores of my palms:

https://www.justplainpolitics.com/sh...50#post2865750
    The basic test of freedom is perhaps less in what we are free to do than in what we are free not to do. It is the freedom to refrain, withdraw and abstain which makes a totalitarian regime impossible. Eric Hoffer

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Flanders For This Post:

Cancel 2020.2 (03-07-2020)

3. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 102 Times in 89 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Flanders View Post
    THE BUMP replacing the handshake is the only good thing that could come out of the coronavirus scam:
    Competition always brings out the best:

The basic test of freedom is perhaps less in what we are free to do than in what we are free not to do. It is the freedom to refrain, withdraw and abstain which makes a totalitarian regime impossible. Eric Hoffer