Thread: Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn: A Warning to the West

1. #1 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 35,051 Times in 26,519 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,742 Times in 4,521 Posts
    Blog Entries

Default Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn: A Warning to the West

It is astonishing that Communism has been writing about itself in the most open way, in black and white, for 125 years, and even more openly, more candidly in the beginning. The [book:Communist Manifesto|30474, for instance, which everyone knows by name and which almost no one takes the trouble to read, contains even more terrible things than what has actually been done. It is perfectly amazing. The whole world can read, everyone is literate, yet somehow no one wants to understand. Humanity acts as if it does not understand what Communism is, as if it does not want to understand, is not capable of understanding.

Communism has never concealed the fact that it rejects all absolute concepts of morality. It scoffs at any consideration of "good" and "evil" as indisputable categories. Communism considers morality to be relative, to be a class matter. Depending on circumstances and the political situation, any act, including murder, even the killing of hundreds of thousands, could be good or could be bad. It all depends on class ideology. And who defines this ideology? The whole class cannot get together to pass judgment. A handful of people determine what is good and what is bad. But I must say that in this respect Communism has been most successful. It has infected the whole world with the belief in the relativity of good and evil. Today, many people apart from the Communists are carried away by this idea.

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to cancel2 2022 For This Post:

anatta (02-29-2020), Cancel 2020.2 (02-26-2020), Minister of Truth (02-28-2020), Saudade (02-26-2020), Truth Detector (02-26-2020)

3. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,821 Times in 6,166 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,532 Times in 1,444 Posts
    Blog Entries

Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn is a liar who fabricated nearly everything in his book. I wish he had gone through the gulag experience he described. Fucking capitalist ghoul. Death to America.
    "Do not think that I came to bring peace... I did not come to bring peace, but a sword." - Matthew 10:34

4. #3 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,043 Times in 3,907 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,697 Times in 1,555 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Havana Moon View Post

It is astonishing that Communism has been writing about itself in the most open way, in black and white, for 125 years, and even more openly, more candidly in the beginning. The [book:Communist Manifesto|30474, for instance, which everyone knows by name and which almost no one takes the trouble to read, contains even more terrible things than what has actually been done. It is perfectly amazing. The whole world can read, everyone is literate, yet somehow no one wants to understand. Humanity acts as if it does not understand what Communism is, as if it does not want to understand, is not capable of understanding.

Communism has never concealed the fact that it rejects all absolute concepts of morality. It scoffs at any consideration of "good" and "evil" as indisputable categories. Communism considers morality to be relative, to be a class matter. Depending on circumstances and the political situation, any act, including murder, even the killing of hundreds of thousands, could be good or could be bad. It all depends on class ideology. And who defines this ideology? The whole class cannot get together to pass judgment. A handful of people determine what is good and what is bad. But I must say that in this respect Communism has been most successful. It has infected the whole world with the belief in the relativity of good and evil. Today, many people apart from the Communists are carried away by this idea.
    Thanks, but no thanks. Communism is practically non-existent in the West, so no need to worry about these things.
    I'm much more concerned with Fascism, since that actually has made a comeback in the West.

5. The Following User Groans At StoneByStone For This Awful Post:

cancel2 2022 (02-26-2020)

6. The Following User Says Thank You to StoneByStone For This Post:

Nomad (02-26-2020)

7. #4 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,041 Times in 13,848 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 3,042 Times in 2,838 Posts

That's nice, now the next time I see Commie I'll be ready, but I am not going to worry too much over that one, no one has seen a Commie since the last Century, maybe we should start looking out for those Bolsheviks

Cold War thinking, little relevance today

8. The Following User Groans At archives For This Awful Post:

9. The Following User Says Thank You to archives For This Post:

Nomad (02-26-2020)

10. #5 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

The [book:Communist Manifesto|30474, for instance, which everyone knows by name and which almost no one takes the trouble to read, contains even more terrible things than what has actually been done.
    I've read it and I have no clue what he's talking about.

Depending on circumstances and the political situation, any act, including murder, even the killing of hundreds of thousands, could be good or could be bad. It all depends on class ideology.
    Such as intentionally bombing Korean civilians in the war against the Korean people, or the ethnic cleansing of the Palestinians in 1948, murdering a million communists in Indonesia under the orders of the CIA, or in modern times forcibly starving Venezualans to punish them for failing to act as a colony of the imperial power. How easily wet convince ourselves to do evil things.
    "Do not think that I came to bring peace... I did not come to bring peace, but a sword." - Matthew 10:34

11. The Following User Groans At FUCK THE POLICE For This Awful Post:

12. #6 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by archives View Post
    That's nice, now the next time I see Commie I'll be ready, but I am not going to worry too much over that one, no one has seen a Commie since the last Century, maybe we should start looking out for those Bolsheviks

I am a communist and Marxist leninist.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FUCK THE POLICE For This Post:

Mason Melchizedek (02-26-2020), Minister of Truth (02-28-2020)

14. #7 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,406 Times in 2,917 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 325 Times in 306 Posts

My mother was a fan of Solzhenitsyn, she got me interested in his literary work. I haven't read a whole lot by him. My mother pointed out the horrors he experienced in his book Cancer Ward. Extremely horrific, to say the least.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cancel 2020.2 For This Post:

cancel2 2022 (02-26-2020), Truth Detector (02-26-2020)

16. #8 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 50,287 Times in 27,095 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,975 Times in 2,692 Posts

Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn: A Warning to the West!
    Posters who don't know anything about Solzhenitsyn, about his literature, about his life, posters who never put more than ten nanoseconds of thought into him prior to this thread, have no standing to proclaim what this complex and complicated man knew, thought, and felt.

Americans from Reagan to William Buckley assumed Solzhenitsyn was the perfect Cold War pawn, one who could be held out as an anti-communist and pro-western ally in the the asymmetric propaganda struggle of the cold war era.

The fact is Solzhenitsyn was hostile to communism -- but he was equally hostile to capitalism. He was not a pro-western dupe.

Solzhenitsyn thought capitalism was deeply immoral and ethically bankrupt,

Solzhenitsyn thought the liberal democracies of the west were morally degenerate.

Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn was a Russian nationalist, a deeply religious theocrat, a spiritualist, and a Russian mystic. He was never a poster boy for capitalism, nor an ally or tool of propaganda for Trump boot-licking capitalists.

Edit to add: It is curious that I just bumped one of my threads yesterday which prominently featured Solzhenitsyn. Are you seriously making an effort to lurk everything I do, and more importantly why don't you get your own ideas for interesting topics rather than pilfering ideas from me.
    Last edited by Cypress; 02-26-2020 at 03:07 PM.

17. The Following User Groans At Cypress For This Awful Post:

18. #9 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,904 Times in 7,964 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,669 Times in 1,547 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Steven VanderMolen View Post
    My mother was a fan of Solzhenitsyn, she got me interested in his literary work. I haven't read a whole lot by him. My mother pointed out the horrors he experienced in his book Cancer Ward. Extremely horrific, to say the least.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cypress View Post
    Posters who don't know anything about Solzhenitsyn, about his literature, about his life, posters who never put more than ten nanoseconds of thought into him prior to this thread, have no standing to proclaim what this complex and complicated man knew, thought, and felt.

Americans from Reagan to William Buckley assumed Solzhenitsyn was the perfect Cold War pawn, one who could be held out as an anti-communist and pro-western ally in the the asymmetric propaganda struggle of the cold war era.

The fact is Solzhenitsyn was hostile to communism -- but he was equally hostile to capitalism. He was not a pro-western dupe.

Solzhenitsyn thought capitalism was deeply immoral and ethically bankrupt,

Solzhenitsyn thought the liberal democracies of the west were morally degenerate.

Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn was a Russian nationalist, a deeply religious theocrat, a spiritualist, and a Russian mystic. He was never a poster boy for capitalism, nor an ally or tool of propaganda for Trump boot-licking capitalists.
    I read this....

It was quite good.

And at around 150 pages +/- it's short enough for a casual read.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/One_Da...van_Denisovich

I recommend it for anyone who wants to sample Solzhenitsyn's work without committing to a thousand + page endeavor.

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Nomad For This Post:

Cancel 2020.2 (02-27-2020), Cypress (02-26-2020)

20. #10 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,132 Times in 908 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 24 Times in 23 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bernie Bro View Post
    Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn is a liar who fabricated nearly everything in his book. I wish he had gone through the gulag experience he described. Fucking capitalist ghoul. Death to America.
    Uh, as someone else mentioned, Solzhenitsyn was not a "capitalist ghoul." He was a critic of both the Soviet system and of much of the West.

21. #11 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,132 Times in 908 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 24 Times in 23 Posts

I am a communist and Marxist leninist.
    Do you enjoy killing people, waiting in lines, or just general oppression?

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Saudade For This Post:

cancel2 2022 (02-26-2020), Truth Detector (02-26-2020)

23. #12 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 50,287 Times in 27,095 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,975 Times in 2,692 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Nomad View Post
    I read this....

It was quite good.

And at around 150 pages +/- it's short enough for a casual read.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/One_Da...van_Denisovich

I recommend it for anyone who wants to sample Solzhenitsyn's work without committing to a thousand + page endeavor.
    Me too. An iconic book.

Gulag archipelago is a slog to read, it is a veritable tome of a book. But it is required reading anyone who claims be an knowledgeable about Soviet communism, the Great Terror, and the GULAG. That means rightwing message board dunces basically know nothing of substance about the Soviet Union. One really can't learn about the Soviet Union by listening to Limbaugh and watching Fox. The way to learn about the Soviet Union is to read the great Russian authors of the Soviet era, to read the dissidents, and to actually talk to people who lived it.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Cypress For This Post:

Nomad (02-26-2020)

25. #13 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 27,335 Times in 22,664 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 3,239 Times in 2,979 Posts
    Blog Entries

"When government fears the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny."

A lie doesn't become the truth, wrong doesn't become right, and evil doesn't become good just because it is accepted by a majority.
    Author: Booker T. Washington

Unless you just can't stand the idea of "ni**ers" teaching white kids.

Quote Originally Posted by AProudLefty View Post
    Address the topic, not other posters.

26. #14 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by StoneByStone View Post
    Thanks, but no thanks. Communism is practically non-existent in the West, so no need to worry about these things.
    I'm much more concerned with Fascism, since that actually has made a comeback in the West.
    No it hasn't; only low IQ morons bloviate that shit.
    "When government fears the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny."

A lie doesn't become the truth, wrong doesn't become right, and evil doesn't become good just because it is accepted by a majority.

27. #15 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by archives View Post

Ironic coming from leftist dunces who have been shouting Russia Russia for three fucking years. Priceless stupidity on your part.

28. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Truth Detector For This Post:

anatta (02-29-2020), cancel2 2022 (02-26-2020)