Thread: I hired a snowflake and it melted

1. #1 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,011 Times in 3,467 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 494 Times in 452 Posts
    Blog Entries

Default I hired a snowflake and it melted

Back story: My neighbor employs bottom of the barrel employees for day labor needs. He said he had a kid who was trainable so I gave junior a shot. So the job is highly skilled and every flaw stands out like a sore thumb so when training it's important to catch the noob before damage is done. So, I tell the kid the you can tilt the machine a bit to get near edges and he proceeds to lift 15 degrees off level.
    >I yell to stop him and be heard above the loud din the machine makes
    Uh oh! Snowflake feels stifled. Work wasn't fun, yo!
    The kid literally ghosted me because he felt bad. The job wasn't fun, guys. I suck as an employer, huh?

2. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 21,785 Times in 17,104 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,344 Times in 2,263 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by tinfoil View Post
    Back story: My neighbor employs bottom of the barrel employees for day labor needs. He said he had a kid who was trainable so I gave junior a shot. So the job is highly skilled and every flaw stands out like a sore thumb so when training it's important to catch the noob before damage is done. So, I tell the kid the you can tilt the machine a bit to get near edges and he proceeds to lift 15 degrees off level.
    The kid literally ghosted me because he felt bad. The job wasn't fun, guys. I suck as an employer, huh?

3. The Following User Says Thank You to AProudLefty For This Post:

Jack (02-18-2020)

4. #3 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by AProudLefty View Post
    I don't care about convincing you, it's just this weeks attempt to find help. The kid worked last week on thursday. No show for friday so I got it done myself and did the finish coats over the weekend. I told the kid I had tons of work this week but I just sanded 1600 sqft by myself in the last few day despite my aching back and 53 years of age.

5. #4 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,638 Times in 9,302 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,405 Times in 1,371 Posts
    Blog Entries

I don't care about convincing you, it's just this weeks attempt to find help. The kid worked last week on thursday. No show for friday so I got it done myself and did the finish coats over the weekend. I told the kid I had tons of work this week but I just sanded 1600 sqft by myself in the last few day despite my aching back and 53 years of age.
    Frankly Scarlett
    AM I, I AM's,AM I.
    What day is Michaelmas on?

6. The Following User Groans At Mason Michaels For This Awful Post:

cancel2 2022 (02-19-2020)

7. #5 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,151 Times in 10,077 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,450 Times in 2,265 Posts
    Blog Entries

"... my aching back and 53 years of age."
    So. Do you still support the Republican Plan to raise Retirement Age to 80?

8. #6 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    "... my aching back and 53 years of age."
    So. Do you still support the Republican Plan to raise Retirement Age to 80?
    Can you cite a source for your assertion?

9. #7 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 21,065 Times in 14,550 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,389 Times in 1,307 Posts

Your fault for not starting him in a closet I guess.
    Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.

10. #8 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,014 Times in 8,040 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,672 Times in 1,550 Posts

So you expanded your janitorial service to two people?

I'm impressed.

You probably shouldn't have put him on the floor buffing machine on his first day as your helper.

Shoulda started him out slopping the mop and swabbing the toilets.

Now you're back to having to do it all yourself again.

11. #9 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,043 Times in 3,907 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,697 Times in 1,555 Posts

12. The Following User Says Thank You to StoneByStone For This Post:

Charoite (02-19-2020)

13. #10 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Nomad View Post
    So you expanded your janitorial service to two people?

I'm impressed.

You probably shouldn't have put him on the floor buffing machine on his first day as your helper.

Shoulda started him out slopping the mop and swabbing the toilets.

Now you're back to having to do it all yourself again.
    What a weak attempt. Yeah, it really sucks making $3.00/sqft refinishing wood floors. I guess you can't do math. I'll be making $5300 this week. How's your paycheck? So giggle all you want, desk jockey. You can have your "good job" in a cubicle farm. In addition to paying well, hard work also keeps a man looking young. Everyone I meet thinks I'm 35 years old. You desk jockeys age like milk. You sit on you fat asses all day long and then wonder why you get diabetes

14. #11 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Althea View Post
    Your fault for not starting him in a closet I guess.
    Durrrrr! Turns out, dining rooms and living rooms don't have fucking closets. Keep your advice to yourself in matters you have no clue about

15. #12 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

What a weak attempt. Yeah, it really sucks making $3.00/sqft refinishing wood floors. I guess you can't do math. I'll be making $5300 this week. How's your paycheck?
    Whoopee snot. Too bad you only get one job every three or four months.

So giggle all you want, desk jockey. You can have your "good job" in a cubicle farm. In addition to paying well, hard work also keeps a man looking young. Everyone I meet thinks I'm 35 years old. You desk jockeys age like milk. You sit on you fat asses all day long and then wonder why you get diabetes
    We'll see what you look like after a few more years of inhaling all that dust from the old, dried varnish and the fumes from the new shit.

You'll probably be on oxygen, hacking up what's left of your lungs by the time you're 60, loser.

So go ahead and crow your little bird-brained head off now while you can.

Nobody is going to hear it anymore when all you can do is rattle and wheeze.

16. #13 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Whoopee snot. Too bad you only get one job every three or four months.

We'll see what you look like after a few more years of inhaling all that dust from the old, dried varnish and the fumes from the new shit.

You'll probably be on oxygen, hacking up what's left of your lungs by the time you're 60, loser.

So go ahead and crow your little bird-brained head off now while you can.

Nobody is going to hear it anymore when all you can do is rattle and wheeze.
    You're nuts. As soon as I'm done with this project I have 11 units 500 sqft each in a brand new apartment building to install and finish in the next three weeks to a month and I'm praying the resand of the duplex for a great customer of mine doesn't come ready the minute I start the commercial units. Plus, I got another giant renovation project for the contractor who used to call me all the time but now works for a restoration company. Oh, and the lady with stairs to install in her condo and the other condo for Hanno where the subfloor is 3/8 plywood and it undulates an inch every step you take. Seriously, I have so much work. I even forgot about BeAnn's job that needs to get done. BeAnn was the first person to answer my craigslist ad when I set up shop here in columbus. I only ran the ad one time for a week and I've never had to advertise again. Every single customer I have, aside from a few who have seen my truck, are a direct result of the people involved in BeAnn's home construction.
    Her contractor made me his exclusive wood floor guy.
    Her realtor recommends me to clients
    The Realtor's son is also a realtor and he calls me for work.
    His son's contractor calls me for all his projects.
    Josh got my number from the son and now he has a dozen flips a year and this giant 11 unit project
    Kyle bought one of Josh's old houses and got my number and he does 5 or 6 big renovation projects a year.

It never ends

You have no idea

17. #14 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

You're nuts. As soon as I'm done with this project I have 11 units 500 sqft each in a brand new apartment building to install and finish in the next three weeks to a month and I'm praying the resand of the duplex for a great customer of mine doesn't come ready the minute I start the commercial units. Plus, I got another giant renovation project for the contractor who used to call me all the time but now works for a restoration company. Oh, and the lady with stairs to install in her condo and the other condo for Hanno where the subfloor is 3/8 plywood and it undulates an inch every step you take. Seriously, I have so much work. I even forgot about BeAnn's job that needs to get done. BeAnn was the first person to answer my craigslist ad when I set up shop here in columbus. I only ran the ad one time for a week and I've never had to advertise again. Every single customer I have, aside from a few who have seen my truck, are a direct result of the people involved in BeAnn's home construction.
    Her contractor made me his exclusive wood floor guy.
    Her realtor recommends me to clients
    The Realtor's son is also a realtor and he calls me for work.
    His son's contractor calls me for all his projects.
    Josh got my number from the son and now he has a dozen flips a year and this giant 11 unit project
    Kyle bought one of Josh's old houses and got my number and he does 5 or 6 big renovation projects a year.

It never ends

You have no idea
    Meanwhile, I'm retired collecting my SS check every month, with plenty of money in the bank, no rent or mortgage payments no car payments or any debt of any kind.

I relax every day, go where I want when I want for as long as I want with zero stress whatsoever in my life.

No boring, repetitive, back breaking drudge work day in and day out, no poison chemical fumes and particles being inhaled slowly and constantly destroying my health....

Sucks to be you.

18. #15 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Meanwhile, I'm retired collecting my SS check every month, with plenty of money in the bank, no rent or mortgage payments no car payments or any debt of any kind.

I relax every day, go where I want when I want for as long as I want with zero stress whatsoever in my life.

No boring, repetitive, back breaking drudge work day in and day out, no poison chemical fumes and particles being inhaled slowly and constantly destroying my health....

Sucks to be you.
    I own a house and have no debt at all. I have no car payments. My van is the envy of every contractor it rolls past. I got a $300 honda I've been driving for 3 years. I own multiple sets of equipment and have state of the art equipment.

And I have been doing this since the late 80s. You would think it would hit me at some time if those chemicals were gonna... Oh wait, they changed all that shit 20 fucking years ago.
    >Try finding new memes to make tradework look bad
    Turns out, when every tard gets a degree at the uni, it make a uni degree less valuable
    >Ironic that they teach supply and demand at the uni