Thread: Presidents’ Day Celebrates The Bad Ones With The Good Ones

1. #1 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 102 Times in 89 Posts

Default Presidents’ Day Celebrates The Bad Ones With The Good Ones

Yesterday morning I put a letter in my mailbox for pickup. This morning I noticed that the Mailbox Flag was still up. That reminded me that an another day of infamy came and went.

Let me set the tone for this message with my favorite Lincoln joke.

I know Lincoln was a woman because she was shot in the box.

I guess anyone reading this thread can tell that I have no use for Abraham Lincoln. In plain English, I sure as hell do not want to celebrate Lincoln in any form. But I digress.

I will wager that a lot of Americans believe Presidents' Day celebrates every president —— and the office —— as Harold Stonebridge Fischer originally intended.

Sixty-one years ago, in 1951, a Californian named Harold Stonebridge Fischer formed the President's Day National Committee with the intention of creating a holiday that would honor the office of the presidency, but no particular president. He found some like-minded people to fill out his committee and push the idea and he must have acquired some financial donors, for he was executive director of the committee for the next two decades.

Friday, February 17, 2012
    Peter Hannaford: The Day That Isn't
    On Monday we'll celebrate Washington's Birthday, and no one else's. - Peter Hannaford for The American Spectator Online on 2.17.12

http://web.humboldtgop.org/2012/02/p...that-isnt.html

Here is the rub.

In 1951 neither Fischer nor anyone else could envision anti-America traitors becoming president. Yet in the minds of many Americans Presidents’ Day implies honoring Presidents Clinton and Obama alongside George Washington.

Interestingly, it is Clinton and Obama who made a mockery out of honoring the office. If two characters like that can make it to the presidency the office deserves to be held in contempt not honored.

NOTE: Another disgrace is Martin Luther King, Jr. Day.

See number three permalink in this thead:

https://www.justplainpolitics.com/sh...70#post2838970

Nothing sickens me more than a holiday honoring a hustling preacher. It is doubly disgraceful because so many Americans did much more for this country than did King without having a holiday named after them. I am not talking about government officials. I am talking about private sector Americans who built this country for all Americans. King did what he did for a pack of angry malcontent parasites who hated, and still hate, everything about this country.

Please do not shout racist at me. There are just as many pieces of white garbage who fit the Hate-America description as there are black. Look in Obama’s administration and among the Occupy Everything crowd if you want to see the kind of America-haters I am talking about.

Nothing is ever repealed, but I would sure like to see Presidents’ Day scrapped right along with Martin Luther King, Jr. Day. I would replace them both with a Limited Government Day. If ever an ideal deserved two holidays it is limited government.

Liberals may not realize it but the failure to honor George Washington, dishonors the city as well. It is not called THE SWAMP for nothing.

On this, what would have been George Washington’s 279th birthday week, Americans will go about their business, a free people, without acknowledging – nor celebrating – the man whose toil on their behalf was measureless. I say “free people,” sadly aware that we’re becoming less free, and that diminution of Washington symbolizes the push to “alter” history to make this so.

This, of course, derives from the Left, which spreads tales – false ones – of racism amongst the Founders, and which last year had members of the NAACP hide the General from view. Indeed, they boxed him in, shielding the Offender, even as they praised the author of the line, “Free at last, free at last, thank God Almighty, we are free at last!”

And now “President’s Day” disrespects George again. The equivalent of “every leader gets a prize,” it mocks history, inspires no one, and displays the lengths to which fools go to be foolish. There is no par between George Washington and James Polk, between Thomas Jefferson and Millard Fillmore, and to assert otherwise says: 1) that no president is different from any other; 2) that individuals must bow to the Collective; and 3) that history is a dull, generic ride.

False on each count. When you honor everyone, you honor no one, and honor becomes meaningless. The name of the law which created President’s Day – The Uniform Monday Holiday Act – is absurd, much like the mush it inspired. Debating the bill, Rep. Dan Kuykendall ®-TN), foresaw the outcome:

“If we do this - change the date of the Washington holiday – ten years from now our children will not know what February 22 means. They will not know or care when George Washington was born. They will know only that in the middle of February, they will have a three-day weekend for some reason…. This will come.”

It has. The progressive effort to rewrite history and to demonize – and erase – the Founders has succeeded. General Washington is now less revered than Lady GaGa. Obscurer still is the honor President Coolidge bestowed on him:

“Wherever men love liberty, wherever they believe in patriotism, wherever they exalt high character, by universal consent they invoke the name of George Washington. No occasion could be conceived more worthy, more comprehensibly American, than that which is chosen to commemorate this divinely appointed captain.”

Divinely appointed captain.

Makes one wish His Excellency were alive. And that somehow, through Providence, he could lead us again.

Failure to Honor Washington: a Triumph of the Left
    By Greg Halvorson
    February 20, 2012

https://canadafreepress.com/article/...h-of-the-left1

I am happy to report that I am not alone in my objection to Presidents’ day. The following article is self-explanatory:

WASHINGTON (AP) — Quick quiz. What is George Washington's birthday?

The official US government answer is the third Monday in February, the day you can get a car or mattress on sale.

Lawmakers and witnesses at a House hearing Wednesday favored giving the first president his birthday back. They agreed that the federal holiday should be restored to Washington's real birthday of Feb. 22.

Through 1970, most Americans knew Washington's birthday because that was the holiday. The nation's holiday lineup was changed by a 1968 law that took effect in 1971, making Memorial Day, Veterans Day and Presidents Day Monday holidays to give Americans a three-day weekend.

The Senate Judiciary Committee report on the changes said the holidays would provide "substantial benefits to both the spiritual and economic life of the nation."

Well, the economic part certainly proved to be true.

"We need to change the focus from celebrating sales at the mall to celebrating the significance of President Washington's birth to the birth of our nation," said Rep. Frank Wolf, R-Va., sponsor of a bill to change the holiday to Feb. 22.

He was backed at the hearing by lawmakers of both parties, a historian, an educator and a member of the Mount Vernon Ladies' Association, which cares for Washington's historic Virginia home.

Wolf, who was a witness at the hearing, asked in his statement whether anybody else celebrated a birthday on the third Monday of a month. No hands went up.

Anne Neal, president of a higher education organization, said there was a serious reason to restore the holiday.

"As we move forward into the 21st century, too many of our future leaders are graduating with a profound historical illiteracy that bodes ill for the future of the republic," said Neal, president of the American Council of Trustees and Alumni.

She added, "George Washington is no mere president, to be jumbled with Millard Fillmore and Chester A. Arthur."

Push to give George Washington his birthday back
    By LARRY MARGASAK
    Feb. 29, 2012 1:34 PM

https://www.sandiegouniontribune.com...b29-story.html
    The basic test of freedom is perhaps less in what we are free to do than in what we are free not to do. It is the freedom to refrain, withdraw and abstain which makes a totalitarian regime impossible. Eric Hoffer

2. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 19 Times in 17 Posts

Back in my day it was Washington's day and Lincoln's day.