Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Let's Run Government On Credit; And Not Collect Enough Taxes - It'll Be Great!

1. #16 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 35,503 Times in 27,049 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 19,565 Times in 18,156 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by I<3Big Anime Tiddies View Post
    Ok FDR.
    nope

FDR saved us from the republican party doing it in the 1920s

2. #17 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,360 Times in 14,088 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 649 Times in 616 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by PoliTalker View Post
    Hello cawacko,

Don't tell me what I care about. You don't know. You're not me.

I absolutely care about the debt. I understand why it is important. I may be socially liberal, but I am fiscally conservative. (Just like Bloomberg...)

We should be taxing the rich more to eliminate the deficit. Don't you recall when I explained the difference between the debt and the deficit to you?

The economy is great, we can do it. The rich can afford higher taxes. And this is the best time to do it. You can't reduce the deficit during a recession.

The only reason we are not doing that is because doing the responsible thing will lose potus the votes of the greedy.

And besides. He's pretty greedy himself. He never wanted to pay any taxes. He thinks it is 'smart' to avoid paying taxes. If everybody was as 'smart' as he is, the USA would be bankrupt.
    You never mentioned deficit until this post. You spoke about debt. I'll repeat the largest federal spending is on entitlements and the military. If you want to address spending we must hit those areas first.

If you're just making a partisan rant then tell Pelosi to step up and make it an issue. She had no concern with the last budget because she got the spending she wanted. And I see the candidates you are supporting like Bernie and they don't care about the debt either. Look up MMT and its beliefs.

If you really care about the debt start supporting Libertarians. They are the only ones who will do anything about it. However you don't get elected to office by saying you will cut spending.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to cawacko For This Post:

Saudade (02-18-2020)

4. #18 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,095 Times in 13,072 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,908 Times in 5,169 Posts
    Blog Entries

Hello Jack,

Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    I agree with your sentiment ... up until you blamed 'old white men'.
    Didn't blame old white men. Merely showed they can make mistakes. Doesn't mean that all old white men do. But the ones who cannot admit, nor learn from, their mistakes are doomed to repeat them.
    Personal Ignore Policy PIP: I like civil discourse. I will give you all the respect in the world if you respect me. Mouth off to me, or express overt racism, you will be PERMANENTLY Ignore Listed. Zero tolerance. No exceptions. I'll never read a word you write, even if quoted by another, nor respond to you, nor participate in your threads. ... Ignore the shallow. Cherish the thoughtful. Long Live Civil Discourse, Mutual Respect, and Good Debate! ps: Feel free to adopt my PIP. It works well.

5. #19 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 33,617 Times in 21,480 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,632 Times in 5,140 Posts
    Blog Entries

Borrow and spend is the ReTrumplican motto.

18 U.S. Code § 2071 - Concealment, removal, or mutilation generally
    44 U.S.C. 2202 - The United States shall reserve and retain complete ownership, possession, and control of Presidential records; and such records shall be administered in accordance with the provisions of this chapter.

LOCK HIM UP!

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jarod For This Post:

evince (02-18-2020), PoliTalker (02-18-2020)

7. #20 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,151 Times in 10,077 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,450 Times in 2,265 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by evince View Post
    correction OLD WHITE REPUBLICAN MEN
    Needless diversion of the MAIN TOPIC.
    We all can identify with sitting at the Kitchen table and paying Credit Card debt.

8. #21 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by cawacko View Post
    Uh-oh Poli. You're falling victim to the board where people get so frustrated arguing with each other on a daily basis they revert to semi-trolling. Outside of maybe some anarchists, no one argues for no regulations. It's the ultimate strawman. But God forbid anyone look to roll back any regulations it must mean they want zero regulations right? (and this leaves aside you complain about inequality and lack of opportunity but support regulations that enable it)

And regarding the debt the number one thing the federal government spends money on is entitlements. You complain about debt but you melt down anytime entitlement reform is mentioned. Now there's nothing wrong with calling out the hypocrisy of Republicans who only care about fiscal conservatism when they don't control the Presidency. But don't pretend you care about debt. Like many Republicans, you don't care about spending unless it's spending done by your 'opposition'.
    we are all now Kenseyans now

I remember when the crash happened for a SECOND you actually admitted what your party did

9. #22 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,151 Times in 10,077 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,450 Times in 2,265 Posts
    Blog Entries

Hello Jack,

Didn't blame old white men. Merely showed they can make mistakes. Doesn't mean that all old white men do. But the ones who cannot admit, nor learn from, their mistakes are doomed to repeat them.
    You are needlessly diverting your 'Message' by throwing in a Politically Correct 'old white men'. (makes you sound like a left-wing Stooge)

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Jack For This Post:

PoliTalker (02-18-2020)

11. #23 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

all the right here did for one second in time

the FEAR of their asses LOSING EVERYTHING shock their head clear for a very short time

12. #24 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Hello cawacko,

You never mentioned deficit until this post. You spoke about debt. I'll repeat the largest federal spending is on entitlements and the military. If you want to address spending we must hit those areas first.
    No, that's wrong. Most people's personal budgets have one very large spending item which they certainly must not eliminate: housing. Somethings are necessary. A country is nothing without her people. People are what make up a country. If you want to take care of the country you have to make sure the people are OK. Most nations get this. The ones that don't fail.

If you're just making a partisan rant then tell Pelosi to step up and make it an issue. She had no concern with the last budget because she got the spending she wanted. And I see the candidates you are supporting like Bernie and they don't care about the debt either. Look up MMT and its beliefs.

If you really care about the debt start supporting Libertarians. They are the only ones who will do anything about it. However you don't get elected to office by saying you will cut spending.
    This presumes that the only way to balance the federal budget is to cut spending.

Wrong again!

Increase revenue. That will do it in a heartbeat.

And the super-rich can afford it without batting an eye or giving up any caviar:

Personal Ignore Policy PIP: I like civil discourse. I will give you all the respect in the world if you respect me. Mouth off to me, or express overt racism, you will be PERMANENTLY Ignore Listed. Zero tolerance. No exceptions. I'll never read a word you write, even if quoted by another, nor respond to you, nor participate in your threads. ... Ignore the shallow. Cherish the thoughtful. Long Live Civil Discourse, Mutual Respect, and Good Debate! ps: Feel free to adopt my PIP. It works well.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to PoliTalker For This Post:

evince (02-18-2020)

14. #25 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

15. #26 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

16. #27 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,360 Times in 14,088 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 649 Times in 616 Posts

Hello cawacko,

No, that's wrong. Most people's personal budgets have one very large spending item which they certainly must not eliminate: housing. Somethings are necessary. A country is nothing without her people. People are what make up a country. If you want to take care of the country you have to make sure the people are OK. Most nations get this. The ones that don't fail.

This presumes that the only way to balance the federal budget is to cut spending.

Wrong again!

Increase revenue. That will do it in a heartbeat.

And the super-rich can afford it without batting an eye or giving up any caviar:

It's rather contradictory to say you are concerned about debt but don't want to address the biggest driver of it.

I do appreciate your supply side coming out saying if we grow the economy (revenue) then that will address the deficits and debt. However growing revenue doesn't work if you continue to spend at a faster pace.

17. #28 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Hello cawacko,

It's rather contradictory to say you are concerned about debt but don't want to address the biggest driver of it.
    Not really, because that is solely a Republican assessment of it. The Republican tax cut nearly double the deficit, resulting in far quicker rise of the debt. So really, one of the biggest drivers of the recent debt has been the Republican tax cut for the rich.

I do appreciate your supply side coming out saying if we grow the economy (revenue) then that will address the deficits and debt. However growing revenue doesn't work if you continue to spend at a faster pace.
    I agree growing the economy produces more revenue. Republicans claimed the tax cut would grow the economy so much that it would more than pay for itself and actually result in reducing the deficit. Remember, the deficit must be reduced to zero before the debt stops growing. Currently, the economy is not paying for the government we already have. There are no easy cuts which can be made to spending which would not directly and adversely impact the economy. You take away entitlements and you take away the income those people use to spend in the economy. And most of that is spent very quickly. That removes a lot of business from the economy by cutting that. It's not like you can kill that economic activity and expect no downturn in overall economy activity, ie the GDP.

Most entitlements go directly into the GDP.

Any entitlements cuts can be seen as GDP cuts.

And that results in cuts to revenue as well.

Those darn unintended consequences.

But if taxes are raised on the rich, that doesn't cut the GDP.

They just sell some stock maybe. Somebody else buys it. No loss of business start-ups or expansions. Businesses have plenty of money for that. That's why they are doing stock buy-backs.

Nope. Entitlement cuts are a bad idea gone worse.

The best way to get control of this runaway debt problem is to tax the rich more. And since they have exponentially more money than they ever need, they can afford it without batting an eye. Won't affect their lifestyle at all. Except maybe not so many of them would be buying so many additional investment properties in San Francisco and running the property values out of reach to the common man there.

18. #29 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,432 Times in 1,124 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 158 Times in 148 Posts

Oh, just look the other way!

Things are great now.

Who cares about the future?

Rich old white Republicans don't.
    And not a peep out of you when Obama doubled our debt .

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Loving91390 For This Post:

Truth Detector (02-20-2020)

20. #30 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,132 Times in 908 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 24 Times in 23 Posts

What could possibly go wrong?

Debt is just a word, right?

We're old white men. We don't care. We'll be dead when the bill comes due.

Besides. We've got you fooled that this economy can last forever like this!

Enjoy it while you can. We sure are....................

Oh and btw: We are also killing all regulations. We don't care what they do. They are all alike, and we don't like them because they cost us money. And we can't get enough money.

So: No more regulations!

What could possibly go wrong?

Don't tell us. We don't care.
    If debt is your concern, then cutting spending should be your priority -- not raising regulations or taxes.

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Saudade For This Post:

PostmodernProphet (02-18-2020), Truth Detector (02-20-2020)