Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: To "Buy" an Election.

1. #1 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 19 Times in 17 Posts

Default To "Buy" an Election.

As I'm sure we're all aware, former NY mayor, multi-billionaire Mike Bloomberg is running for President. I'm not here to talk about the moral value of his policy or his general distasteful nature. What I want to talk about is the meme that he's going to buy his way to the Presidency. What does that truly mean for our Democracy? Why does that meme have resonance? Sure we can point to direct evidence such as him giving money to the DNC and their debate rule changes to allow astro-ferfing. His massive media spending blitz is an example of his means but not the ends.
    https://www.nytimes.com/2020/01/31/u...ate-rules.html / https://time.com/5777685/mike-bloomb...g-ad-spending/

What does it imply about the people who get "bought" in an election? I think there is an implication of public gullibility, perhaps desperation, when a person thinks they can buy an election. There's a bet going in Bloomberg's head that there are enough moderates in both GOP and Dem voters that Bloomberg can defeat Trump. Bloomberg bets he's the blue dog pony faced Democrat that can unite the political center against the extreme crazy left Bernie Sanders or the evil Donald Trump - and he's going to spend a mint trying to convince people that's what they want to vote for - that is the ends Mike seeks. But if you look at his past, if it reflects anything about how he'll act in the future, it shows that he'll probably try to take us back to policy similar to the 90's and early 2000's under Clinton and Bush jr. A real desperation for a nostalgia candidate for the new era. Filled with all the same social and political problems of the past. The youth much prefer to progress both culturally and economically. https://thehill.com/homenews/campaig...hael-bloomberg

For a Democracy to function we need an informed voting population, an educated population that has the critical thinking skills to see past the commercials and paid endorsements to know which candidates are worthy of Office. Is there a large enough voting population to get Mike in the White House so he can remake the mistakes of Bill Clinton and George Bush jr.? What does it mean for American Democracy when the rich no longer need to bribe Officials now they can just buy the Office?

2. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,010 Times in 8,569 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 498 Times in 487 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Casual Leftist View Post
    As I'm sure we're all aware, former NY mayor, multi-billionaire Mike Bloomberg is running for President. I'm not here to talk about the moral value of his policy or his general distasteful nature. What I want to talk about is the meme that he's going to buy his way to the Presidency. What does that truly mean for our Democracy? Why does that meme have resonance? Sure we can point to direct evidence such as him giving money to the DNC and their debate rule changes to allow astro-ferfing. His massive media spending blitz is an example of his means but not the ends.
    https://www.nytimes.com/2020/01/31/u...ate-rules.html / https://time.com/5777685/mike-bloomb...g-ad-spending/

What does it imply about the people who get "bought" in an election? I think there is an implication of public gullibility, perhaps desperation, when a person thinks they can buy an election. There's a bet going in Bloomberg's head that there are enough moderates in both GOP and Dem voters that Bloomberg can defeat Trump. Bloomberg bets he's the blue dog pony faced Democrat that can unite the political center against the extreme crazy left Bernie Sanders or the evil Donald Trump - and he's going to spend a mint trying to convince people that's what they want to vote for - that is the ends Mike seeks. But if you look at his past, if it reflects anything about how he'll act in the future, it shows that he'll probably try to take us back to policy similar to the 90's and early 2000's under Clinton and Bush jr. A real desperation for a nostalgia candidate for the new era. Filled with all the same social and political problems of the past. The youth much prefer to progress both culturally and economically. https://thehill.com/homenews/campaig...hael-bloomberg

For a Democracy to function we need an informed voting population, an educated population that has the critical thinking skills to see past the commercials and paid endorsements to know which candidates are worthy of Office. Is there a large enough voting population to get Mike in the White House so he can remake the mistakes of Bill Clinton and George Bush jr.? What does it mean for American Democracy when the rich no longer need to bribe Officials now they can just buy the Office?
    The problem I have with Bloomberg, and it's the same one I have with Steyer, is that both are billionaires that claim to care for the less fortunate yet they're still billionaires and the ones for which they claim to care are still less fortunate. If they care as much as they claim, why do they still have billions and not given it away to those less fortunate?

3. #3 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,507 Times in 1,787 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,738 Times in 1,599 Posts
    Blog Entries

since you don't have a large enough such population and live in a plutocracy, I suppose it's tempting to find a slightly less senile billionaire to take over. The thought of Trumpf going on implies civil war, or so it seems to me.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Iolo/Penderyn For This Post:

evince (02-17-2020)

5. #4 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,175 Times in 2,096 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 80 Times in 80 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by CFM View Post
    The problem I have with Bloomberg, and it's the same one I have with Steyer, is that both are billionaires that claim to care for the less fortunate yet they're still billionaires and the ones for which they claim to care are still less fortunate. If they care as much as they claim, why do they still have billions and not given it away to those less fortunate?
    At least both are not Billionaires that stole from their own charities.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Tacomaman For This Post:

evince (02-17-2020)

7. #5 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,175 Times in 2,096 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 80 Times in 80 Posts

You want an educated voting populous? My guess is that 75% of hard core Trump tally attendees couldn't pass an 8th grade civics exam.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tacomaman For This Post:

evince (02-17-2020), Iolo/Penderyn (02-17-2020)

9. #6 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Tacomaman View Post
    At least both are not Billionaires that stole from their own charities.
    What they both don't do is care about those for which they make the claim to care. Their supporters that fall into the less fortunate category are idiots for thinking they do.

Don't get me wrong, I don't care that they have billions. What I do care about is they claim to care for the less fortunate, would tax others to help those less fortunate, while still having billions. If they truly cared, let them give away their own money to where the rest of us aren't taxed to do what they say should be done.

10. #7 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

You want an educated voting populous? My guess is that 75% of hard core Trump tally attendees couldn't pass an 8th grade civics exam.

All Bernie supporters hear is what Bernie wants to give them paid for by someone else. They have no clue about Bernie.

11. #8 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 40,976 Times in 32,291 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,869 Times in 2,756 Posts
    Blog Entries

. Bloomberg bets he's the blue dog pony faced Democrat that can unite the political center against the extreme crazy left Bernie Sanders or the evil Donald Trump
    so you're saying he's the giant blue dog-faced pony soldier in the room?.......
    Isaiah 6:5
    “Woe to me!” I cried. “I am ruined! For I am a man of unclean lips, and I live among a people of unclean lips, and my eyes have seen the King, the Lord Almighty.”

12. The Following User Groans At PostmodernProphet For This Awful Post:

Nordberg (02-17-2020)

13. #9 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 24,834 Times in 17,265 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,601 Times in 4,278 Posts

I think the idea of knocking on doors is a waste of time. Who changes their vote because a worker hands them a flyer and talks about the candidate? It is past time to cut back on that waste.
    It is TV ads that work. Trump has a ton of money piled up to blanket the airwaves with lies. Bloomberg is showing that money works on TV ads. He is not even a Dem, but he is making headway via TV ads. Money works. TV ads work.
    Nothing else works. Fox Gnus is talking to their own people. They are not getting better educated but being subjected to constant propaganda. Studies have shown that people who watch Fox exclusively know less about politics than those who do not watch it. But they are locked in by it.

14. #10 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 35,772 Times in 27,246 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 19,590 Times in 18,179 Posts
    Blog Entries

see

here ypu are doing nothing but TRASHING the Democratic party

gee I wonder why you are here

If he does NOT have to stand toe to toe and be VETTED by the other candidates he will be better off

why will trump refuse to debate the Democratic party pick in the end?

we all now he will

and the reason is he would get his ass torn to shreads

you can BET bloomy wishes he could just by pass being swung at in a debate

15. #11 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by evince View Post
    here ypu are doing nothing but TRASHING the Democratic party

If he does NOT have to stand toe to toe and be VETTED by the other candidates he will be better off
    Valid criticism is not trashing. If you actually cared about the party you'd work to improve it. Not defend it like some blind tribalist. Yo're literally arguing that we should just give the nomination to Bloomberg without question. That's not how you improve a defunct party.

16. #12 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Nordberg View Post
    I think the idea of knocking on doors is a waste of time. Who changes their vote because a worker hands them a flyer and talks about the candidate? It is past time to cut back on that waste.
    It is TV ads that work. Trump has a ton of money piled up to blanket the airwaves with lies. Bloomberg is showing that money works on TV ads. He is not even a Dem, but he is making headway via TV ads. Money works. TV ads work.
    Nothing else works. Fox Gnus is talking to their own people. They are not getting better educated but being subjected to constant propaganda. Studies have shown that people who watch Fox exclusively know less about politics than those who do not watch it. But they are locked in by it.
    And what do you think this says about the nature of our Democracy?

17. #13 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Valid criticism is not trashing. If you actually cared about the party you'd work to improve it. Not defend it like some blind tribalist. Yo're literally arguing that we should just give the nomination to Bloomberg without question. That's not how you improve a defunct party.
    your criticism is not valid

you refuse to take in the FACTS that BERNIE is a Russian asset

yet you take great relish in saying bullshit about my beloved Party

its made up and run by people like Barak Obama , Adam shiff, Nancy Pelosi and all the people who are trying with all the levels of power that they have to save this nation

Bloomy will NOT be the candidate

so quit crying crock tears about it so you can trash my party

18. #14 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,432 Times in 1,124 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 158 Times in 148 Posts

You mean like all those blacks that vote Democrat ......

19. #15 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

"democrats" who claim they want to get rid of trump

who then find every way they can think of to TRASH the Democratic party in the leadup to a MASSIVELY important election

are far more likely Russian bot holes than Democrats

Bloomy will get his ass trashed in a debate with the REAL Democratic candidates