Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: How Alex P. Keaton Predicted The New Conservative Movement

1. #16 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,001 Times in 13,040 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,147 Times in 1,092 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by cawacko View Post
    A lot has changed politically from the '80's (and '90's). From a Democratic perspective there's no way a Bill Clinton wins today running on a 'third way' platform stressing welfare reform and getting tough on crime. That would never fly. Reagan also won 49 states in 1984. Do you think there's any chance someone could pull that off today?

Your Alex Keaton types of the '80's are executives and running companies today. Would/are they supporting Trump/and or Republicans?
    Yes. If Bernie wins the nomination you’ll probably see a landslide of that magnitude and I would say those CEO’s would depend on the industry. In Finance they would hold their nose and vote Trump but in Tech they would vote a centrist Democrat.

But that wasn’t my point. No way in hell is Alex Keaton even remotely representative of today’s Republican movement.
    You're Never Alone With A Schizophrenic!

2. #17 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,360 Times in 14,088 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 649 Times in 616 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Mott the Hoople View Post
    Yes. If Bernie wins the nomination you’ll probably see a landslide of that magnitude and I would say those CEO’s would depend on the industry. In Finance they would hold their nose and vote Trump but in Tech they would vote a centrist Democrat.

But that wasn’t my point. No way in hell is Alex Keaton even remotely representative of today’s Republican movement.
    While I have a hard time seeing how Bernie could win the Presidency he'd still win far more states than Mondale.

APK was definitely representative of his time. It's hard to see his character in today's world. But the same can probably be said for a lot of TV characters from our past.

(I'm sitting at work so not putting a lot of deep thought into this but one thing that did cross my mind is Nixon like you said and how after all his ethical issues etc. Keaton still looked up to him. I'm not saying APK would like or look up to Trump but the personal shortcomings didn't stop his feelings towards Nixon)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to cawacko For This Post:

Mott the Hoople (02-14-2020)

4. #18 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

While I have a hard time seeing how Bernie could win the Presidency he'd still win far more states than Mondale.

APK was definitely representative of his time. It's hard to see his character in today's world. But the same can probably be said for a lot of TV characters from our past.

(I'm sitting at work so not putting a lot of deep thought into this but one thing that did cross my mind is Nixon like you said and how after all his ethical issues etc. Keaton still looked up to him. I'm not saying APK would like or look up to Trump but the personal shortcomings didn't stop his feelings towards Nixon)
    Reagan's short comings didn't stop me from liking him. (No....I'm not comparing Reagan to Nixon...just making a point. LOL)

5. #19 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,360 Times in 14,088 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 649 Times in 616 Posts

Reagan's short comings didn't stop me from liking him. (No....I'm not comparing Reagan to Nixon...just making a point. LOL)
    Haha. Maybe I misunderstood your Nixon comment but I thought you were making it in comparison to Trump.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to cawacko For This Post:

Mott the Hoople (02-14-2020)

7. #20 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,904 Times in 7,964 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,669 Times in 1,547 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by anonymoose View Post
    And you call yourself a liberal without making the distinction classical and modern.
    I do not call myself a liberal.

I call myself a centrist Democrat.

Quote Originally Posted by anonymoose View Post
    Modern liberals have given liberalism a bad name.
    Modern conservatives have given conservatism a bad name.

8. #21 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,132 Times in 908 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 24 Times in 23 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Marxist Mason View Post
    No true Conservative would ever vote for Trump
    What would a Marxist know about conservatism?

9. #22 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Nomad View Post
    I think he's got it backwards.

I think Keaton WOULD HAVE voted for Trump in 2016, but after four years of seeing what a lowlife pile of subhuman scum, and what an embarrassment Trump is to the nation that he's dragging down into his NYC sewer, I believe Alex would have a hard time doing it again, as will likely a lot of people who voted for him the first time.

As for the article overall, clever if not roundabout attempt to legitimize and downplay the damage Trump is doing to our democracy and society.
    The TDS is strong in you....

10. #23 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

I'm sorry but this had to have been written buy someone who was born after 1985. Alex Keaton was representative of the Reagan Republican Movement of the early to mid 80's. I ought to know cause I was part of that movement. To see that he predicted the "New Conservative Movement" is complete non-sense. He was representative of the conservative movment of that time.

Alex Keaton was sure as hell not repreentative of the modern take over of the conservative party by rural redneck working class conservatives that it is not. Not even bloody close. Holy Fuck, Keaton's hero Nixon would be classified as a communist by today's Republican party.

Alex, and young Reagan Republicans of that era like myself would fucking be (and now mostly are) centrist Democrats today....Young, Educated, Urban/Suburban professionals (at that time). We sure as hell weren't redneck working class rural populist goobers that are the heart and soul of the modern conservative Trump movement today. They were still Democrats back then.

I call this article "BULLSHIT", considering I was there and participated in the Reagan Conservative movement of the 80's. The author doesn't know what they are talking about.
    And thankfully, the Reaganites are dying out.

You're wrong about the Democrats though. They've been hijacked by SJWs. A lot of millennials are that type. Bill Clinton would be a moderate Republican by now.

Populism is thankfully gaining popularity precisely because of the elitists that have always thumbed their noses at "rednecks."

11. #24 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

You are a conservative by modern standards in that all you really care about is economic liberty, including gun rights, etc. But I haven't seen you express concern about protecting social civil liberties from Republicans who are actively trying to chip away at them.

So your claim to be a liberal is, as I said, moose shit.
    What civil liberties are you referring to? The right to illegally cross the border? The right to pretend to be a woman when you still have a penis?

12. #25 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Woko Haram View Post
    What civil liberties are you referring to? The right to illegally cross the border? The right to pretend to be a woman when you still have a penis?
    The civil liberty to...

...obtain a legal abortion

...have access to affordable health care

...be protected from random gun violence by common sense restrictions on the manufacture and sale of guns

...enjoy freedom from having one certain religion taught as science in public schools

...receive equal treatment and representation for non-Christian religious faiths

...receive equal treatment and protection for those who practice alternative lifestyles

...be guaranteed fair and equal voting rights for minorities

...to possess and use small quantities of marijuana in one's home

I'm sure the list is longer, but that's plenty for now.

13. #26 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

The TDS common sense is strong in you....
    Fixed it for you.

14. #27 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

The civil liberty to...

...obtain a legal abortion
    That's primarily a state issue, and Roe v. Wade hasn't been changed.

...have access to affordable health care
    Healthcare isn't a civil liberty.

...be protected from random gun violence by common sense restrictions on the manufacture and sale of guns
    There's nothing common sense about limiting magazine sizes or arbitrarily defining things as "assault weapons."

...enjoy freedom from having one certain religion taught as science in public schools
    Most Republicans don't push for creationism.

...receive equal treatment and representation for non-Christian religious faiths
    No one in the administration or on the state level has violated the freedom of religion.

...receive equal treatment and protection for those who practice alternative lifestyles
    Gay rights haven't been changed.

...be guaranteed fair and equal voting rights for minorities
    Where has this been violated?

...to possess and use small quantities of marijuana in one's home
    Several states have legalized pot now, and Sessions is gone.

15. #28 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

That's primarily a state issue, and Roe v. Wade hasn't been changed.

Healthcare isn't a civil liberty.

There's nothing common sense about limiting magazine sizes or arbitrarily defining things as "assault weapons."

Most Republicans don't push for creationism.

No one in the administration or on the state level has violated the freedom of religion.

Gay rights haven't been changed.

Where has this been violated?

Several states have legalized pot now, and Sessions is gone.
    Republicans are constantly chipping away at Roe v Wade and everyone knows it.

The right to not die because you're not financially well off is considered a civil liberty by civilized people.

Limiting the kind of deadly weapons that can be manufactured, sold and possessed is a 100% common sense issue to people who have common sense.

Many Republicans do push for creationism and those who don't sit quietly and allow it to be pushed.

Republicans, including Trump have suggested or attempted to ban Muslim immigration and shut down Mosques.

Republicans are anti-gay and favor laws that allow discrimination.

There have been numerous instances of Republicans attempting and succeeding in purging voter lists, limiting early voting, adding new requirements shortly before elections....

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opini...a96_story.html

The states have fully legalized Marijuana are almost exclusively blue Democrat states.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Nomad For This Post:

ThatOwlWoman (02-14-2020)

17. #29 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

BTW...Just to clarify...I meant that if Bernie wins the nomination then Trump would win by a huge landslide.

18. #30 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Haha. Maybe I misunderstood your Nixon comment but I thought you were making it in comparison to Trump.
    Not really. Nixon was a center right politician who road to political prominence during the Red scare era but he was no right wing ideologue. Hell Nixon made fun of John Birchers like we do Trumps base. Nixon was a man of deeply flawed character who misled the American people and abused power but that had little to do with political ideology. In many respects Nixon governed soundly and to be honest is more comparable to Bill Clinton than Reagan or Trump. It’s just that though Clinton had similar character flaws to Nixon his were trivial by comparison.