Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: How Alex P. Keaton Predicted The New Conservative Movement

1. #61 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,036 Times in 13,846 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 3,042 Times in 2,838 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by countryboy View Post
    Funny, but you are the one deflecting. Do you deny Obama put children in cages? You can if you want to, but it's well documented, so that only makes you look stupid, or ignorant. Which is it, stupid, or ignorant? There's no third option.
    Obama did not make it a policy priority, it was an existing policy, and did happened, but unlike Trump, he didn't use it attempting to scare off immigrants with kids, it never became the focus of any immigration policy

2. #62 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,001 Times in 13,040 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,147 Times in 1,092 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Woko Haram View Post
    Ignorance isn't a virtue, but neither is elitism.

There was a time when Democrats actually listened to the white working class rather than putting them down. Establishment Republicans also used to do this. Because elements of both parties continue to insult "rednecks", they understandably choose to support populists.

You seem to resent the white working class yourself.
    Wanting to better yourself isn’t elitist. Sounds to me like you resent people who have risen from poverty to upper middle class prosperity by stint of hard work and effort to better themselves.

Well hoping some conman populist politician is going to improve your life is a fools dream.
    You're Never Alone With A Schizophrenic!

3. #63 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,812 Times in 6,202 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 493 Times in 469 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by archives View Post
    Obama did not make it a policy priority, it was an existing policy, and did happened, but unlike Trump, he didn't use it attempting to scare off immigrants with kids, it never became the focus of any immigration policy
    Not a policy priority? Seriously? Sooo, Obama's Secretary of Homeland Security made this announcement all on his own, without presidential approval? Lol, ooo-kay. https://www.nytimes.com/2014/12/16/u...in-us.amp.html

Jeh C. Johnson, the secretary of Homeland Security, came to this South Texas outpost on Monday to open the country’s largest immigration detention facility and draw attention to border security measures that are part of President Obama’s fiercely debated executive actions on immigration.

The 50-acre center in Dilley, 85 miles northeast of Laredo, will hold up to 2,400 migrants who have illegally crossed the border and is especially designed to hold women and their children.

Standing on a dirt road lined with cabins in a barren compound enclosed by fencing, Mr. Johnson delivered a blunt message to families without legal papers considering a trip to the United States: “It will now be more likely that you will be detained and sent back.”
    Every life matters

4. The Following User Says Thank You to countryboy For This Post:

Saudade (02-19-2020)

5. #64 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,132 Times in 908 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 24 Times in 23 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Mott the Hoople View Post
    Wanting to better yourself isn’t elitist. Sounds to me like you resent people who have risen from poverty to upper middle class prosperity by stint of hard work and effort to better themselves.

Well hoping some conman populist politician is going to improve your life is a fools dream.
    I'm not sure where you got that from. A lot of the rednecks you mock did exactly what you mention -- rose from poverty to become middle class through hard work.

6. #65 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,001 Times in 13,040 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,147 Times in 1,092 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Woko Haram View Post
    I'm not sure where you got that from. A lot of the rednecks you mock did exactly what you mention -- rose from poverty to become middle class through hard work.
    I got that because that's where I came from. Born poor on a small dirt farm, worked though high school and college, majored in a stem field, went to grad school, nearly starved to death doing so, but persevered, then spent 5 years doing back breaking work in the field learning my profession. Not once during that entire time was I ever a redneck.

You seem to think that there's some sort of requirement that if you work for a living or that you come from a rural background that you're required to be an ignorant shit kicker. Well I'm living proof that you don't and I know a lot of guys like me from poor rural back grounds who busted their asses off over years to better themselves. So yea...I'm proud not to be a redneck. I butsted my ass off not to be one.
    You're Never Alone With A Schizophrenic!

7. #66 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,132 Times in 908 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 24 Times in 23 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Mott the Hoople View Post
    I got that because that's where I came from. Born poor on a small dirt farm, worked though high school and college, majored in a stem field, went to grad school, nearly starved to death doing so, but persevered, then spent 5 years doing back breaking work in the field learning my profession. Not once during that entire time was I ever a redneck.

You seem to think that there's some sort of requirement that if you work for a living or that you come from a rural background that you're required to be an ignorant shit kicker. Well I'm living proof that you don't and I know a lot of guys like me from poor rural back grounds who busted their asses off over years to better themselves. So yea...I'm proud not to be a redneck. I butsted my ass off not to be one.
    Then I guess you're defining redneck more narrowly than some do. A lot of people use that term to describe anyone of a rural background.

I'm glad to hear that you're not defining it as such. So, if I understand you correctly, you're only referring to rural people that are racists and such. Correct?