1. #556 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,422 Times in 10,049 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,947 Times in 2,728 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Nomad View Post
    The progressive Bernie candidate LOST.
    Ummm, but did she?

Had it not been for the voter suppression and the removal of 70,000 people from the rolls, Abrams probably would have won.

Kemp's margin of victory was 50,000 votes, or 1.5% @ 70% turnout.

Four years earlier, Jason Carter lost by 200,000 votes, or 8% @ 50% turnout.

Having Abrams on the ballot increased voter participation because her strategy was to turn out more voters instead of trying to woo the moderates.

She very nearly won. The margin she lost by was surpassed by the number of people removed from the voter rolls.
    When I die, turn me into a brick and use me to cave in the skull of a fascist

2. #557 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 10 Times in 10 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by LV426 View Post
    Ummm, but did she?

Had it not been for the voter suppression and the removal of 70,000 people from the rolls, Abrams probably would have won.

Kemp's margin of victory was 50,000 votes, or 1.5% @ 70% turnout.

Four years earlier, Jason Carter lost by 200,000 votes, or 8% @ 50% turnout.

Having Abrams on the ballot increased voter participation because her strategy was to turn out more voters instead of trying to woo the moderates.

She very nearly won. The margin she lost by was surpassed by the number of people removed from the voter rolls.
    Then we have
    https://www.nationalreview.com/2019/...ocratic-party/

3. #558 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 23,679 Times in 16,485 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 585 Times in 561 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Anne Frank View Post
    They are in the closet,as gays and as Democrats!
    Move on Popeye
    I would say I was worried about your mental health. Obviously there has never been any. No worries at all.

4. #559 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,003 Times in 8,030 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,672 Times in 1,550 Posts

So there were 95 million Bernie supporters who didn't vote because he wasn't the nominee? So if you make him the nominee, then those 95 million people will vote for him, right?
    And he'd still suck as President, so I'm not voting for him under any circumstance.

I'll write in Biden before I'll vote for old BS.

Also, if Bernie is supposedly so electable, popular and exciting, WHY DID HE LOSE THE 2016 PRIMARY?

And don't tell me it's because he got cheated by Hillary and the DNC.

Hillary beat him fair and square in the south and west.

So again, if ol' BS is so unbeatable and moderates like Hillary can't win, why did he lose to her?

5. #560 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,320 Times in 9,828 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 510 Times in 483 Posts
    Blog Entries

And he'd still suck as President, so I'm not voting for him under any circumstance.

Also, if Bernie is supposedly so electable, popular and exciting, WHY DID HE LOSE THE 2016 PRIMARY?

And don't tell me it's because he got cheated by Hillary and the DNC.

So again, if ol' BS is so unbeatable and moderates like Hillary can't win, why did he lose to her?
    he got cheated by hillary and the dnc.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Blackwater Lunchbreak For This Post:

cancel2 2022 (02-13-2020)

7. #561 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by AssHatZombie View Post
    he got cheated by hillary and the dnc.
    you got cheated by whoever or whatever created you.

8. #562 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,320 Times in 9,828 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 510 Times in 483 Posts
    Blog Entries

you got cheated by whoever or whatever created you.
    im fine with me.

9. #563 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Why would he suck as President?

If all 95 million Bernie supporters, who you say stayed home in 2016 because he wasn't the nominee, also voted down ballot, wouldn't that give Bernie a Congress and Senate that would actually get things done?

You might as well just vote for Trump, since that seems like what you want to do. So your action is to do that which you blame Bernie supporters for in 2016, causing Trump to be President?

Tell me again why anyone should give a shit about your vote?

Because it was rigged for Clinton, duh. That's why the only real challenge was from Sanders; O'Malley dropped out before Iowa, if I remember correctly. Why didn't Biden run in 2016? Why didn't Klobuchar? Why didn't Booker? Or Harris? Or Castro? Or Yang? Or Gabbard? Or Steyer? Or Bloomberg? Or any of the 20+ who chose to run in 2020?

Simple, because they were rigging it for Clinton. You saw that in Superdelegate commitments from states that hadn't even finished voting in the primaries.

Right, but the South and West aren't the only states to vote.

And Bernie won Washington state and Oregon. And Idaho. And Montana. And Utah. And Wyoming. And Colorado. And Alaska. And Hawaii.

In all, Clinton won 34 primaries/caucuses and Bernie won 23.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LV426 For This Post:

Cinnabar (02-13-2020), moon (02-13-2020)

11. #564 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

If all 95 million Bernie supporters, who you say stayed home in 2016 because he wasn't the nominee, also voted down ballot, wouldn't that give Bernie a Congress and Senate that would actually get things done?

You might as well just vote for Trump, since that seems like what you want to do. So your action is to do that which you blame Bernie supporters for in 2016, causing Trump to be President?

Because it was rigged for Clinton, duh. That's why the only real challenge was from Sanders; O'Malley dropped out before Iowa, if I remember correctly. Why didn't Biden run in 2016? Why didn't Klobuchar? Why didn't Booker? Or Harris? Or Castro? Or Yang? Or Gabbard? Or Steyer? Or Bloomberg? Or any of the 20+ who chose to run in 2020?

Simple, because they were rigging it for Clinton. You saw that in Superdelegate commitments from states that hadn't even finished voting in the primaries.

And Bernie won Washington state and Oregon. And Idaho. And Montana. And Utah. And Wyoming. And Colorado. And Alaska. And Hawaii.

So, like I said, ol' BS Bernie lost.

Period.

The reason he'd suck as President is because his freebies for everyone agenda would be DOA without a Senate super majority of 66 supporters which is just not going to happen no matter how hard you close your eyes, clench your fists and click the heels of your little red slippers together, Dorothy.

Like his supporters, he doesn't live in the real world and from where I sit, it looks like he's only interested in becoming President for his own personal aggrandizement.

12. #565 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,593 Times in 4,192 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,203 Times in 1,060 Posts

I would love to know which of Bernie's policies is so offensive to folks who claim to be in favor of Democracy. It's nuts to want a same old same old type candidate which enabled a Trump in the first place. Obama's Centrist stances were detrimental as well. Not one bankster paid a price for the Wall Street debacle and they are at it again. A so called moderate is another nail in the coffin.
    Last edited by Cinnabar; 02-13-2020 at 05:26 PM.
    BLUEXIT
    A Modest Proposal For Separating Blue States From Red

Dear Red-State Trump Voter,
    Let’s face it, guys: We’re done.

It is a tragedy that so much of the work that so many men and women toiled at for so long to make this a better country, and a better world, has been thrown away, leaving us all in such needless peril.

This is why our separation in all but name is necessary.

https://newrepublic.com/article/1409...mp-red-america

13. #566 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 18,676 Times in 14,049 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,136 Times in 1,080 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by christiefan915 View Post
    Is this hyperbole? If not, who's "murdering" the working class?

It's funny that you think trump is for the working class, though.
    I don't think he's for anyone. Trump made promises and alliances that he gambled would get him somewhere in 2016. He is clearly committed to keeping those alliances together this year. If Trump had promised the Green New Deal in 2016, and had gotten elected, he would have spent the past three years attempting to accomplish those programs.

14. #567 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 38,184 Times in 25,719 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,614 Times in 2,498 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bull Durham View Post
    I don't think he's for anyone. Trump made promises and alliances that he gambled would get him somewhere in 2016. He is clearly committed to keeping those alliances together this year. If Trump had promised the Green New Deal in 2016, and had gotten elected, he would have spent the past three years attempting to accomplish those programs.
    I agree with you that he's not for anyone but himself. [I added that part.] trump's promises are empty and only fools are gullible enough to believe him.

"Armed with deductions and loopholes, America’s largest companies paid an average federal tax rate of only 11.3% on their profits last year, roughly half the official rate under the new tax law – the lowest effective corporate tax rate in more than eighty years.

Yet almost nothing has trickled down to ordinary workers. Corporations have used most of their tax savings to buy back their shares, giving the stock market a sugar high. The typical American household remains poorer today than it was before the financial crisis began in 2007.

Trump’s tax cut has also caused the federal budget deficit to balloon. Even as pre-tax corporate profits have reached record highs, corporate tax revenues have dropped about a third under projected levels. This requires more federal dollars for interest on the debt, leaving fewer dollars for public services workers need."

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
    ― Charles Dickens

15. #568 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 18,676 Times in 14,049 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,136 Times in 1,080 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by christiefan915 View Post
    I agree with you that he's not for anyone but himself. [I added that part.] trump's promises are empty and only fools are gullible enough to believe him.

"Armed with deductions and loopholes, America’s largest companies paid an average federal tax rate of only 11.3% on their profits last year, roughly half the official rate under the new tax law – the lowest effective corporate tax rate in more than eighty years.

Yet almost nothing has trickled down to ordinary workers. Corporations have used most of their tax savings to buy back their shares, giving the stock market a sugar high. The typical American household remains poorer today than it was before the financial crisis began in 2007.

Trump’s tax cut has also caused the federal budget deficit to balloon. Even as pre-tax corporate profits have reached record highs, corporate tax revenues have dropped about a third under projected levels. This requires more federal dollars for interest on the debt, leaving fewer dollars for public services workers need."
    We cut the corporate rates for the same reason that Europe maintains low rates. That was the single most important aspect of the entire tax package. Now, obviously, the treatment of individual rates was not remotely European in nature.

From a practical standpoint, individual rates do not effect the economy the way that business taxes do. The argument for lower individual rates is basically "Murricah!" I think I saw a stat that paying for the welfare state in Europe can run individuals close to 60% of their earnings.

16. #569 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

So, like I said, ol' BS Bernie lost. Period.
    You asked for reasons why and I gave them to you.

I can't help it if you have to be a solipsistic reductionist and act in bad faith because you have no real argument to make.

17. #570 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

The reason he'd suck as President is because his freebies for everyone agenda would be DOA without a Senate super majority of 66 supporters which is just not going to happen no matter how hard you close your eyes, clench your fists and click the heels of your little red slippers together, Dorothy.
    Ah, so you mean if we nominate a centrist, suddenly the Republican obstructionism that defined the Obama Presidency will magically disappear?