Thread: Superbowl: J Lo Flies Puerto Rican Flag, NFL Co-opts Kaepernick's Cause.

1. #1 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,095 Times in 13,072 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,908 Times in 5,169 Posts
    Blog Entries

Default Superbowl: J Lo Flies Puerto Rican Flag, NFL Co-opts Kaepernick's Cause.

"San Juan – The screams echoed across Puerto Rico when Jennifer Lopez unfurled a feather cape representing the flag of the U.S. territory during the Super Bowl’s halftime show, a moment that many were still replaying and sharing on Monday.

The move came at a trying time for those on the island of 3.2 million U.S. citizens, who are still struggling to recover from a devastating hurricane and major earthquake."

"“We Puerto Ricans are very sentimental about the flag,” Hernández said.

The halftime moment surprised Puerto Rican journalist Jonathán Lebrón Ayala and his family as they watched the game at home. His wife and daughter jumped up, spilling drinks on the floor as Lopez yelled, “Let’s get loud! Latinos!” and then unfurled the flag while her young daughter sang, “Born in the USA.”

“It was rather hectic,” he recalled with a laugh. “You could hear people in the neighborhood screaming.”"

Detroit News

"Spurred by the death of his cousin, Bolden helped launch The Players Coalition.

“There’s just some things that are bigger than football,” he says in the ad. “I felt like starting The Players Coalition and effecting chance in this country was one of those things.”

Indeed, Boldin’s group is doing some good work. But his efforts will always be shadowed by the decision to align with the NFL, which was all too happy to contribute a few million dollars from its billions in revenues to make the Kaepernick issue go away.

While suddenly proclaiming itself to be social conscious, the league has done nothing to acknowledge Kaepernick’s role in setting such an important agenda. Instead, the billionaires club turned its resources toward those who would take the money and not raise too much of a ruckus.

It hit the jackpot with The Players Coalition. Even more so with rapper and self-absorbed entrepreneur Jay-Z, who climbed aboard the NFL train without hesitation when he realized just how profitable the cause of social justice could be.

So, when you watch Boldin’s heart-wrenching story on Super Bowl Sunday, don’t forget the guy who got the ball rolling.

The guy who took a knee."

NFL Shamelessly Grabs Kaepernick's Message And Leaves Him Unemployed

Several players and people did not place their right hand over their heart during the National Anthem. Both teams.

Check it out:

I guess that's OK now. Trump hasn't tweet-shamed them for it. Trump fans no longer care about that. They take their direction from the great dictator.

Naturally, that could all change in a tweet...
    Personal Ignore Policy PIP: I like civil discourse. I will give you all the respect in the world if you respect me. Mouth off to me, or express overt racism, you will be PERMANENTLY Ignore Listed. Zero tolerance. No exceptions. I'll never read a word you write, even if quoted by another, nor respond to you, nor participate in your threads. ... Ignore the shallow. Cherish the thoughtful. Long Live Civil Discourse, Mutual Respect, and Good Debate! ps: Feel free to adopt my PIP. It works well.

2. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,004 Times in 13,819 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 3,035 Times in 2,831 Posts

There was nothing wrong with it, she first wore it out presented as the American flag and then opened it up to PR's, kind like a subtle message one was part of the other, and given the island's difficult past few years plus both entertainers being Latin, it wasn't out of bounds

When an entertainer or anyone gets around to humping the flag as Trump has done then we got a problem

3. The Following User Says Thank You to archives For This Post:

PoliTalker (02-03-2020)

4. #3 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,039 Times in 2,191 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 603 Times in 570 Posts

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Adolf_Twitler For This Post:

PoliTalker (02-03-2020)

6. #4 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,095 Times in 13,072 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,908 Times in 5,169 Posts
    Blog Entries

The superbowl is the only time I don't mute the commercials.

I was surprised nobody noticed the lack of hands over hearts. No mention in the media. No tweet-shaming about it, so I guess that's fine. Erie the way the NFL has adopted Kaepernick's message, but they give him no credit, as if he never existed. Well, they sure don't want a repeat of having Trump demand boycotting. Even the NFL bows down to almighty Trump.
    Personal Ignore Policy PIP: I like civil discourse. I will give you all the respect in the world if you respect me. Mouth off to me, or express overt racism, you will be PERMANENTLY Ignore Listed. Zero tolerance. No exceptions. I'll never read a word you write, even if quoted by another, nor respond to you, nor participate in your threads. ... Ignore the shallow. Cherish the thoughtful. Long Live Civil Discourse, Mutual Respect, and Good Debate! ps: Feel free to adopt my PIP. It works well.

7. #5 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,145 Times in 10,539 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,987 Times in 2,752 Posts
    Blog Entries

The overblown patriotism was reprehensible manipulation.

8. #6 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,309 Times in 14,058 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 649 Times in 616 Posts

Can’t say I’ve ever heard anyone complain about people not placing their hand over their heart during the national anthem. In certain groups is that a subversive thing not to do?

9. #7 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,486 Times in 10,512 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 578 Times in 535 Posts
    Blog Entries

Puerto Rico is a US Territory and the folks that live there are citizens of the United States... This would be like somebody from CO waving the Colorado flag... I just don't think most people would care.
    Excellence is an art won by training and habituation. We do not act rightly because we have virtue or excellence, but rather we have those because we have acted rightly. We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit.
    - -- Aristotle

Believe nothing on the faith of traditions, even though they have been held in honor for many generations and in diverse places. Do not believe a thing because many people speak of it. Do not believe on the faith of the sages of the past. Do not believe what you yourself have imagined, persuading yourself that a God inspires you. Believe nothing on the sole authority of your masters and priests. After examination, believe what you yourself have tested and found to be reasonable, and conform your conduct thereto.
    - -- The Buddha

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
    - -- Aristotle

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Damocles For This Post:

TOP (02-04-2020)