Members banned from this thread: BRUTALITOPS, Minister of Truth, Hermes Thoth, The Anonymous, /MSG/, USFREEDOM911, cancel2 2022, PostmodernProphet, Legion, Truth Detector, Legion Troll, Boris The Animal, philly rabbit, Niche Political Commentor, canceled.2021.2, J Craft, MAGA MAN, Darth Omar, CFM, DBCooper, chink, Superfreak, PraiseKek, TOP, excommunicated, AnnieOakley, Tommatthews, Q-Tip, volsrock, Grugore, Rob Larrikin, BodyDouble, ptif219, Loving91390, fandango, United76America, Yurt, Into the Night, Tkaffen, gfm7175, Enlightened One, Anarchon, Proud Boy, Earl, Nate Higgers, Terri4Trump, Lord Yurt, OG Yurt and deadcatbounce

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Greatest minds of the western philosophical tradition...

1. #61 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,406 Times in 2,917 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 325 Times in 306 Posts

I'll also add writer Harlan Ellison to this thread. He had a brilliant mind. His writing was sometimes shocking, sometimes violent in nature, but never boring. Virtually everything the man wrote is worth reading. Just a fantastic writer.

2. #62 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,699 Times in 2,031 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 56 Times in 52 Posts

Obviously I am the greatest mind ever. Many people congratulate me on the accomplishment but believe me, it has it's drawbacks.

1. For starters, nobody likes a know-it-all. It explains why I have no friends.
    2. There's no challenge debating people on sites like this one, especially one full of leftist dimwits who are easily suckered into believing that there is actual science supporting Global Warming and that Black Lives Matter riots are peaceful protests.

If I were of questionable scruples I'd become the banker and financial advisor for leftists. I could keep bleeding them dry and all I'd have to do is continually "remind" them that Trump is the common enemy who is "victimizing" them and that's why their financial situation never gets any better and that they need to invest with me now more than ever because I'm the one looking out for them. I'd become a multi-millionaire before lunch.

3. #63 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 50,287 Times in 27,095 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,975 Times in 2,692 Posts

At this time, I officially align myself with Immanuel Kant who apparently threaded the needle between Plato and Nietzsche.

The Platonic Christian conception is that we are in this world, but not of this world - Plato perceives the idea of life as a journey to another transcendent, unchanging realm.

Then we have Nietzsche, who famously asserts that God is dead - that there is no transcendent “beyond” - that the only meaning comes through creative activities through which we shape a life for ourselves.

Immanuel Kant straddles the terrain between Plato and Nietzsche. Kant is officially agnostic about God and a transcendent realm - but he asserts that reason is limited as a means of knowledge regarding the true nature of things. Reason, and the deterministic claims made by science are not sufficient for resolving all truth. Kant is a champion of reason and science. But he maintains that we are only truly human if we ask questions about what the meaning of life is.

4. #64 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Default Trump can identify monkeys from giraffes, Biden discusses Soren Kierkegaard

Quote Originally Posted by Cypress View Post
    Apparently, the most important Existential philosophers and writers

Soren Kierkegaard
    Friedrich Nietzsche
    Fyodor Dostoyevsky
    Jean-Paul Sartre
    Joe Biden is the first national politician I have ever heard mention Soren Kierkegaard, a 19th century Danish Christian philosopher.

Philosophers explain the meaning of the Kierkegaard quote that comforts Joe Biden

In an emotional interview with TV host Stephen Colbert, US vice president Joe Biden mentioned that he’d found solace in the writing of Danish philosopher Søren Kierkegaard. He said that his wife, Jill Biden, had taped a Kierkegaard quote to the mirror, which read “Faith sees best in the dark.”The line comes from the philosopher’s Gospel of Sufferings and is an apt choice of quote for Biden, whose son Beau died in May of cancer.

It’s beautiful writing but far from straightforward. “Kierkegaard has this way of being quite aphoristic and coming up with a wonderful phrase that you could put on the mirror, and yet it’s not clear what he means because he’s always a dialectical thinker,” Joel Rasmussen, professor of theology at Oxford University.

In times of great suffering, there can be no rational source of hope or comfort. Yet Kierkegaard writes that faith cannot be fully understood in times of happiness. One can only experience true faith when life is bleak.

“One sees a kind of goodness coming out of this darkness but, as one of Kierkegaard’s pseudonyms often says, it’s by virtue of a leap. It’s a leap in rationality. One can’t argue one’s way, in a straightforward fashion, to a position of faith,” says Rasmussen.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/qz.com/...joe-biden/amp/

5. #65 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Default My COVID downtime reading: Plato's Republic

Plato's philosophical project is offering us the chance to strive toward perfection through a moral and political framework:

1. We must start by organizing ourselves from within (the soul) -- in the harmonious and virtuous soul, reason rules passion and is assisted by spirit.
    2. Then, we can organize the chaos without (the external world).

6. #66 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,875 Times in 8,272 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 594 Times in 590 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by IBDaMann View Post
    Obviously I am the greatest mind ever. Many people congratulate me on the accomplishment but believe me, it has it's drawbacks.

1. For starters, nobody likes a know-it-all. It explains why I have no friends.
    2. There's no challenge debating people on sites like this one, especially one full of leftist dimwits who are easily suckered into believing that there is actual science supporting Global Warming and that Black Lives Matter riots are peaceful protests.

If I were of questionable scruples I'd become the banker and financial advisor for leftists. I could keep bleeding them dry and all I'd have to do is continually "remind" them that Trump is the common enemy who is "victimizing" them and that's why their financial situation never gets any better and that they need to invest with me now more than ever because I'm the one looking out for them. I'd become a multi-millionaire before lunch.

Know what I love is one of these stupid leftist cunts started a thread complaining about "chaos" at a trump rally but for the last 6 moths black lies matter have been burning and looting. There is no way to explain how fucked up these people are.

7. #67 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,699 Times in 2,031 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 56 Times in 52 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Yakuda View Post
    Know what I love is one of these stupid leftist cunts started a thread complaining about "chaos" at a trump rally but for the last 6 moths black lies matter have been burning and looting. There is no way to explain how fucked up these people are.
    What stands out to me is just how gullible Leftists are. I remember how leftists would photograph the venues where Trump would be holding rallies three hours before the events, i.e. when they were still mostly empty, and then tweet those photographs out when the event is starting. Despite the arean being packed at the start time, the tweet contained the photographs of the empty arena and the caption "Trump's rally is dead, he can't fill it." The leftists who received the tweets then retweeted the photographs of the "empty Trump rally" to their Leftist friends, who retweeted them to their friends, and so on and so forth.

I remember the first time I learned of this was a particular evening during which Trump was holding a rally and I was attending my daughter's gymnastics event. The person next to me showed me a tweet of Trump's empty arena on his cell phone. I pulled up a photo from the internet on my cell phone showing a completely full venue. I looked at his photo and noticed that there were a bunch of people preparing the arena for the event. I thought to myself "why would there be people doing setup right at start time? How could the arena be both empty and packed at the same time?

Then I saw Leftists creating threads on message boards mocking Trump's "bombed" event claiming that his base is abandoning him. When I tried to explain that Trump's rally was packed, that there weren't any empty seats, that overflow seating was packed ... they referred me to the bogus photos. I can't recall a single one of them that bothered to independently verify what they had been led to believe. I don't believe a single one of them would allow their own bubble to be burst.

Leftists are, and will be, locked into full denial mode until they are forced to go fulls snowflake upon Trump's reelection.
    Global Warming violates the 1st LoT by claiming a magical creation of thermal energy out of nothing, in the form of a temperature increase, which is somehow caused by a magical substance.
    Greenhouse Effect violates Stefan-Boltzmann and black body science by claiming that an increase in earth's temperature is somehow caused by a decrease in earth's radiance.
    Greenhouse Effect violates the 2nd LoT by claiming that the cooler atmosphere somehow heats the warmer earth's surface.

8. #68 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Default I am compiling a list of theists and atheists in the western intellectual tradition

Quote Originally Posted by Cypress View Post
    Joe Biden is the first national politician I have ever heard mention Soren Kierkegaard, a 19th century Danish Christian philosopher.
    Theists
    Renne Descartes - Christian
    John Locke - Christian
    Voltaire - Deist
    Immanuel Kant - Rational faith, unconventional Christian
    Soren Kierkegaard - Christian
    Albert Einstein - quasi-Deism
    Joe Biden - Christian

Aetheists
    Denis Diderot - atheist
    Karl Marx - Atheist
    Sigmund Freud - Atheist
    Friedrich Nietzsche- Atheist
    Steven Hawking - Atheist
    Donald Trump- Atheist

9. #69 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,229 Times in 809 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 176 Times in 163 Posts

For me it is often the writers, Dostoevsky, Camus, Parfit, Borges, Ellison, Faulkner, Baldwin, Huxley, etc. In philosophy: Rawls, Parfit, Strawson, Arendt, Stanley Fish et al. I favor the more contemporary thinkers, life has changed lots. I probably missed others.

A few sites of interest:

http://dailynous.com/2015/04/18/what...a-philosopher/

http://www.edge.org

http://rustbeltphilosophy.blogspot.com

https://leiterreports.typepad.com/blog/

Excellent publication:

https://www.newphilosopher.com/artic...andres-roemer/

https://www.newphilosopher.com/artic...make-us-happy/
    Wanna make America great, buy American owned, made in the USA, we do. AF Veteran, INFJ-A, I am not PC.

"I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it." Voltaire

10. The Following User Says Thank You to midcan5 For This Post:

Cypress (11-16-2020)

11. #70 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by midcan5 View Post
    For me it is often the writers, Dostoevsky, Camus, Parfit, Borges, Ellison, Faulkner, Baldwin, Huxley, etc. In philosophy: Rawls, Parfit, Strawson, Arendt, Stanley Fish et al. I favor the more contemporary thinkers, life has changed lots. I probably missed others.

A few sites of interest:

http://dailynous.com/2015/04/18/what...a-philosopher/

http://www.edge.org

http://rustbeltphilosophy.blogspot.com

https://leiterreports.typepad.com/blog/

Excellent publication:

https://www.newphilosopher.com/artic...andres-roemer/

https://www.newphilosopher.com/artic...make-us-happy/
    Nice work.

I have not heard of any of your contemporary philosophers; that is just my ignorance.

I am working my way from antiquity towards the 20th century. I feel like I will get more out of Heidegger, Derrida, Foucault if I survey Greek, Stoic, Medieval, Enlightenment, Romantic philosophers first.

The take-away for me is that Descartes was reacting to the authority of Aristotle; Locke and Hume were reacting to Descartes; Kant was reacting to Enlightenment empiricism; Hegel was reacting to Kant, and Marx was reacting to Hegel. And Nietsche was reacting to all of them.