Members banned from this thread: BRUTALITOPS, Minister of Truth, Blackwater Lunchbreak, The Anonymous, /MSG/, USFREEDOM911, cancel2 2022, PostmodernProphet, Legion, Truth Detector, Legion Troll, Boris The Animal, philly rabbit, Niche Political Commentor, canceled.2021.2, J Craft, MAGA MAN, Darth Omar, CFM, DBCooper, chink, Superfreak, PraiseKek, TOP, excommunicated, AnnieOakley, Tommatthews, Q-Tip, volsrock, Grugore, Rob Larrikin, BodyDouble, ptif219, Loving91390, fandango, United76America, Yurt, Into the Night, Tkaffen, gfm7175, Enlightened One, Anarchon, Proud Boy, Earl, Nate Higgers, Terri4Trump, Lord Yurt, OG Yurt and deadcatbounce

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Greatest minds of the western philosophical tradition...

1. #46 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,406 Times in 2,917 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 325 Times in 306 Posts

I'll add legendary jazz saxophonist John Coltrane to this thread. He's the most brilliant jazz musician I've heard.

2. #47 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,099 Times in 1,499 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 812 Times in 726 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Mott the Hoople View Post
    I think a gave stoicism it’s due via Marcus Aurelius. Having said that I think Cato the Younger embodied all the pitfalls of Stoicism.

On your comments on Thomas Hobbes. I would argue that John Stuart Mills was the father of modern conservatism. I think Hobbes was the father of modern realism. Virtually all the philosophers we cited are rationalist but Hobbes understood that people are rarely rational and are mostly emotional and passionate. Which, from what I’ve seen, is entirely true.
    Hobbes can come off as cynical or advocating for totalitarianism. But he had a valid point that people don't really know what makes them happy.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to jacksonsprat22 For This Post:

Mott the Hoople (07-19-2020)

4. #48 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

I'll add film director Alfred Hitchcock to this thread. He was a brilliant director, I've never seen a film directed by him I didn't like.

5. #49 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 50,716 Times in 27,346 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,977 Times in 2,694 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jacksonsprat22 View Post
    Hobbes can come off as cynical or advocating for totalitarianism. But he had a valid point that people don't really know what makes them happy.
    Hobbes gets a bad wrap, and context is everything.

Hobbes had just lived through the 30 years war, which was Europe's first truly cataclysmic conflict resulting in millions of deaths.

On that basis, I have never really begrudged Hobbes philosophy of a social contract between the people and a powerful state to guarantee security and safety. He obviously had reason to have a pessimistic outlook on base human nature

6. #50 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

I'll add legendary blues musician Muddy Waters to this thread. He was a brilliant musician, and a wonderful slide guitar player, as well. And he's my favorite musician, all-time, in ANY music genre.

7. #51 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

I'll add legendary soul and r&b songstress Aretha Franklin to this thread. She was an absolutely brilliant vocalist, my second favorite female vocalist all -time, in any music genre, behind only Linda Ronstadt. Ms. Franklin's singing was pure magic.

8. #52 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

I'll add a man who was a wonderfully talented blues musician, Fenton Robinson. He was a fantastic guitarist, vocalist, and songwriter. His blues music had a slight jazz feel to it, and was always nice and mellow. Unfortunately he didn't record many albums during his career, and he died at just age 62, from brain cancer, in late November of 1997. If you like your blues with a bit of jazz, please check out this genius's music on YouTube. You will NOT be disappointed.

9. #53 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Default Enlightenment vs. Existentialists

Reason and logic? Or passion and imagination?
    It comes down to the Enlightenment thinkers versus Romanticism and the Existentialists.

Existentialism is, in my view, the most exciting and important philosophical movement of the past century and a half. Fifty years after the French philosopher Jean-Paul Sartre gave it its identity. and one hundred and fi fty years after the Danish philosopher Sřren Kierkegaard gave it its initial impetus, existentialism continues to win new enthusiasts and, in keeping with its still exciting and revolutionary message, vehement critics.

The message of existentialism, unlike that of many more obscure and academic philosophical movements, is about as simple as can be. It is that every one of us, as an individual, is responsible—responsible for what we do, responsible for who we are, responsible for the way we face and deal with the world, responsible, ultimately, for the way the world is. It is, in a very short phrase, the philosophy of “no excuses!” Life may be difficult; circumstances may be impossible. There may be obstacles, not least of which are our own personalities, characters, emotions, and limited means or intelligence. But, nevertheless, we are responsible. We cannot shift that burden onto God, or nature, or the ways of the world. If there is a God, we choose to believe. If nature made us one way, it is up to us to decide what we are to do with what nature gives us—whether to go along or fight back, to modify or transcend nature. As the delightfully priggish Kate Hepburn says to a wonderfully vulgar Humphrey Bogart in the movie The African Queen, “Nature is what we are put on this earth to rise above.” That is what existentialism is all about. We are responsible for ourselves.

There are no excuses.

Three themes pervade existentialism:

• A strong emphasis on the individual (although this is variously defined and understood).

• The central role of the passions, as opposed to the usual philosophical emphasis on reason and rationality. The emphasis instead is on a passionate commitment. For the existentialist, to live is to live passionately.

• The importance of human freedom. Existentialists are concerned with personal freedom, both political freedom and free will. This is central to Kierkegaard and Sartre, but not so obviously to Nietzsche and Heidegger. The relationship between freedom and reason is particularly at issue. Traditionally, acting “rationally” is said to be free, while acting out of emotion is considered being a “slave to one’s passions.” The existentialists suggest that we live best and are most ourselves in terms of passion. Kierkegaard’s notion of “passionate commitment” is central.

Source credit: Dr. Robert Solomon, University of Texas

10. #54 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

I'll add Sir Winston Churchill to this thread. He was a brilliant statesman.

11. #55 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,229 Times in 809 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 176 Times in 163 Posts

I would add to this list writers and poets as they influence the world at another level. Dickens, Dostoevsky, Twain, Austen, Camus, Sartre, Faulkner, Whitman, Dickinson, Poe, Hughes, etc. etc.

'“They are changing the world”: thinkers choose their favourite living philosophers'

https://www.prospectmagazine.co.uk/p...g-philosophers

https://www.bestcollegesonline.com/b...ged-the-world/
    Wanna make America great, buy American owned, made in the USA, we do. AF Veteran, INFJ-A, I am not PC.

"I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it." Voltaire

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to midcan5 For This Post:

Cancel 2020.2 (07-22-2020), Cypress (07-22-2020)

13. #56 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by midcan5 View Post
    I would add to this list writers and poets as they influence the world at another level. Dickens, Dostoevsky, Twain, Austen, Camus, Sartre, Faulkner, Whitman, Dickinson, Poe, Hughes, etc. etc.

'“They are changing the world”: thinkers choose their favourite living philosophers'

https://www.prospectmagazine.co.uk/p...g-philosophers

https://www.bestcollegesonline.com/b...ged-the-world/
    What about Danielle Steel?

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Cancel 2020.2 For This Post:

Minister of Truth (07-23-2020)

15. #57 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

I'll add Neil Young to this thread. He is a brilliant musician.

16. #58 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

I'll add Elvis Presley to this thread. He had one of the greatest minds in a musical sense. He was able to interpret and appreciate SO much music that was written by others, and make these songs HIS. He was a genius in his ability to do this.

17. #59 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Could our time have become so disenchanted that it no longer concerns itself with questions of meaning, but only calculates costs and very practical, instrumental benefits? Considered by many to be the 20th century’s most influential philosopher, Martin Heidegger (1889–1976) claims this to be the case. Heidegger believes that we have become so lost in “average everydayness” that we barely comprehend our authentic possibilities. Each of us has irreplaceable and nontransferable possibilities, but Heidegger believes that we mostly flee them. Only through a resolute comprehension of our finitude—the finality and inescapable possibility of our death—can we find our authenticity.

In the midst of average, everyday life, Heidegger points to two modes of living: the authentic versus the inauthentic. Authentic existence involves discovering what are truly one’s own unique life possibilities. Inauthentic existence involves, often uncomprehendingly, a fleeing from what are one’s own individual possibilities.

Source credit. Professor Steven Erickson

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Cypress For This Post:

Phantasmal (07-29-2020)

19. #60 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

I'll add writer Ray Bradbury to this thread. He's my favorite writer, all-time. He was able to brilliantly weave elements of fantasy, science fiction, and horror, into an often intoxicating mix. EVERYONE needs to read at least a book or two by this man. Simply magic.