Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: This week in Trumponomics: Warning signs for Trump

1. #1 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,340 Times in 8,498 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,701 Times in 2,506 Posts

Default This week in Trumponomics: Warning signs for Trump

The article ends with warning trump he should be "mindful"; does anyone think trump can be "mindful"? The guy is pretty mindless.

This week in Trumponomics: Warning signs for Trump

President Trump gave a speech in Davos, Switzerland this week, bragging about the U.S. economy under his watch. He focused on working- and middle-class Americans and basically said they’re doing great.

Trump should be careful. He’s telling many Americans they’re better off, trust him, than they think they are themselves. Some might believe it, and decide to give Trump another four years when they vote in November. But others might resent Trump’s presumptuousness and decide he’s trying to snow them.

Trump, for instance, claimed there’s a “blue-collar boom” in America, with lower-income people getting ahead faster than higher-income people. Many facts demonstrate this is not true, but to check, Yahoo Finance ran a poll asking audience members if they think there is a blue-collar boom, as Trump insists.

Few respondents agree. Of 951 respondents who described themselves as blue-collar, only 21% said there’s a blue-collar boom, while 78% said there’s not a blue-collar boom.

Source: Yahoo FinanceView photos
    Source: Yahoo Finance
    More
    This aligns with a wealth of data showing pockets of the blue-collar and middle-class economies are doing fine, but many families still struggle to keep up with medical bills, rent, inflation and the rising skill levels needed to get ahead. Trump is downplaying people’s struggles and overstating his own success, which is why this week’s Trump-o-meter reads WEAK, the third-lowest rating.

Source: Yahoo FinanceView photos
    Source: Yahoo Finance
    More
    There’s no reason to fear a recession this year, but likely growth of around 2% won’t do a lot to help lift struggling families. Trump bragged about income gains among lower-income workers, yet wages are only up about 3% for this group during the last year. Inflation is 2.3% – and health care inflation is a lot higher than that—which is why 3% income growth doesn’t go very far.

In our survey, we asked respondents to describe the state of the economy in their own words. Many of the responses echoed themes Democratic presidential candidates are highlighting as they campaign. Samples:

“For large companies great; for small businesses and self-employed, terrible.”

“Terrible except for top 5%. Only growth is in stocks and financial jobs and low paying serving and hotel jobs.”

“Health care/insurance still takes too much of one's paycheck especially those who don't have insurance from their job.”

There are some optimists, to be sure, such as the respondent who told us, “Stock market is solid, 401K is doing very well, unemployment is down and many people have disposal income.” That person said he recently purchased a second home. And solid consumer confidence numbers nationwide show that Americans overall feel pretty good.

But the U.S. economy is segregated into those getting ahead and those barely keeping up. Prosperous zones include vibrant coastal regions, university towns, energy corridors, tech-heavy urban areas and some manufacturing regions. Many other areas lack an economic anchor, with too many workers stuck in low-wage jobs. It’s not clear this gap has narrowed under Trump, and it may have widened. He should be mindful of who’s listening when the talks about he remarkable Trump economy.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/this-...184201286.html

2. The Following User Groans At Walt For This Awful Post:

Earl (01-26-2020)

3. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Walt For This Post:

Frank Apisa (01-26-2020), Phantasmal (01-26-2020), PoliTalker (01-26-2020), Rune (01-26-2020), signalmankenneth (01-26-2020), Trumpet (01-26-2020)

4. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,579 Times in 15,814 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,951 Times in 1,862 Posts

yahoo finance? lol.
    most polls I see show Trump's approval on the economy near 60% - his best approvals by far.

Wage increases have skewed more to the lower incomes,and blue collar jobs under Trump

Rising paychecks for blue-collar workers are shrinking the wage gap
    https://www.usatoday.com/story/opini...mn/1955329001/

Monthly reports on the number of new jobs and the unemployment rate can drown out important trends like these two: After four decades of worsening, wage inequality has started shrinking. And in a twist, America’s blue-collar workers are playing the biggest role in driving that reversal.

This may come as a surprise, because education is classically seen as a ladder up the income scale. Despite blue-collar workers often lacking college degrees, their wages have been accelerating faster than those of their white-collar counterparts.

5. The Following User Groans At anatta For This Awful Post:

Rune (01-26-2020)

6. The Following User Says Thank You to anatta For This Post:

PoliTalker (01-26-2020)

7. #3 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,010 Times in 8,569 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 498 Times in 487 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Walt View Post
    The article ends with warning trump he should be "mindful"; does anyone think trump can be "mindful"? The guy is pretty mindless.
    Pure jealousy that you continue to fail while so many others are doing extremely better.

8. #4 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 23,685 Times in 17,936 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 3,248 Times in 3,052 Posts
    Blog Entries

Trump will win, they know it, we know it.

9. #5 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 23,685 Times in 17,936 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 3,248 Times in 3,052 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by CFM View Post
    Pure jealousy that you continue to fail while so many others are doing extremely better.
    Walt gets his days mixed up. School on Saturday.

Lol.

10. #6 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,043 Times in 3,907 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,697 Times in 1,555 Posts

It is pretty funny warning a mentally challenged guy to be mindful.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to StoneByStone For This Post:

Trumpet (01-26-2020)

12. #7 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,812 Times in 6,202 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 493 Times in 469 Posts
    Blog Entries

So the Bureau of Labor Statistics is lying about wages? Instead you believe a non scientific poll of 951 libs by a bunch of Yahoos? Ooo-kay.
    Every life matters

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to countryboy For This Post:

dukkha (01-26-2020), Earl (01-27-2020)

14. #8 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 23,756 Times in 16,563 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,622 Times in 1,532 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by countryboy View Post
    So the Bureau of Labor Statistics is lying about wages? Instead you believe a non scientific poll of 951 libs by a bunch of Yahoos? Ooo-kay.
    I feels Trump is no good

15. The Following User Groans At dukkha For This Awful Post:

Rune (01-26-2020)

16. #9 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,108 Times in 13,083 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,908 Times in 5,169 Posts
    Blog Entries

Hello Walt,

I would expect struggling ex coal workers would be getting lukewarm on the BS that the economy is great for everybody. Especially when they are not left with any/much disposable income at the end of the bills.

Great thread. Thanks for starting it. Way too close to reality for Trump fans.
    Personal Ignore Policy PIP: I like civil discourse. I will give you all the respect in the world if you respect me. Mouth off to me, or express overt racism, you will be PERMANENTLY Ignore Listed. Zero tolerance. No exceptions. I'll never read a word you write, even if quoted by another, nor respond to you, nor participate in your threads. ... Ignore the shallow. Cherish the thoughtful. Long Live Civil Discourse, Mutual Respect, and Good Debate! ps: Feel free to adopt my PIP. It works well.

17. The Following User Groans At PoliTalker For This Awful Post:

Earl (01-27-2020)

18. The Following User Says Thank You to PoliTalker For This Post:

Phantasmal (01-26-2020)

19. #10 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,593 Times in 4,192 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,203 Times in 1,060 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by StoneByStone View Post
    It is pretty funny warning a mentally challenged guy to be mindful.
    It's like telling him to be empathetic. Trump is dead inside and should have been a spontaneous abortion due to the fact that he is not a fully formed human. He has no humanity.
    BLUEXIT
    A Modest Proposal For Separating Blue States From Red

Dear Red-State Trump Voter,
    Let’s face it, guys: We’re done.

It is a tragedy that so much of the work that so many men and women toiled at for so long to make this a better country, and a better world, has been thrown away, leaving us all in such needless peril.

This is why our separation in all but name is necessary.

https://newrepublic.com/article/1409...mp-red-america

20. #11 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Hello anatta,

Quote Originally Posted by anatta View Post
    yahoo finance? lol.
    most polls I see show Trump's approval on the economy near 60% - his best approvals by far.

Wage increases have skewed more to the lower incomes,and blue collar jobs under Trump

Rising paychecks for blue-collar workers are shrinking the wage gap
    https://www.usatoday.com/story/opini...mn/1955329001/

Monthly reports on the number of new jobs and the unemployment rate can drown out important trends like these two: After four decades of worsening, wage inequality has started shrinking. And in a twist, America’s blue-collar workers are playing the biggest role in driving that reversal.

This may come as a surprise, because education is classically seen as a ladder up the income scale. Despite blue-collar workers often lacking college degrees, their wages have been accelerating faster than those of their white-collar counterparts.
    Very little of that has anything to do with what Trump has done. Indeed the rise in the numbers of college graduates has softened wage increases there (supply/demand) as the number of non college workers has declined, wages for those types of work have increased (once again, supply/demand.) These trends would still be in place without Trump. Credit must also be given to the Fight For Fifteen movement. All those walk-outs and protests have had an effect.
    Personal Ignore Policy PIP: I like civil discourse. I will give you all the respect in the world if you respect me. Mouth off to me, or express overt racism, you will be PERMANENTLY Ignore Listed. Zero tolerance. No exceptions. I'll never read a word you write, even if quoted by another, nor respond to you, nor participate in your threads. ... Ignore the shallow. Cherish the thoughtful. Long Live Civil Discourse, Mutual Respect, and Good Debate! ps: Feel free to adopt my PIP. It works well.

21. The Following 2 Users Groan At PoliTalker For This Awful Post:

Earl (01-27-2020), Rune (01-26-2020)

22. The Following User Says Thank You to PoliTalker For This Post:

Phantasmal (01-26-2020)

23. #12 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Ask all those lower-income workers who are finally getting a little bit more - if it is enough to afford them much disposable income or savings after all the needs are met. Are they able to save for down payments on owning a home? That is the major way families build wealth in America. Locked out of that the lower half simply languishes in the frustration of not ever being able to get ahead.

24. The Following User Groans At PoliTalker For This Awful Post:

Earl (01-27-2020)

25. #13 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 23,756 Times in 16,563 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,622 Times in 1,532 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by PoliTalker View Post
    Hello anatta,

Very little of that has anything to do with what Trump has done. Indeed the rise in the numbers of college graduates has softened wage increases there (supply/demand) as the number of non college workers has declined, wages for those types of work have increased (once again, supply/demand.) These trends would still be in place without Trump. Credit must also be given to the Fight For Fifteen movement. All those walk-outs and protests have had an effect.
    unemployment is at record lows - that's the macro-trend on supply and demand.
    If you got a skill or a degree -you can definately get a job.

and with virtually FULL EMPLOYMENT WAGES ARE STILL RISING - meaning the economy is hot and management is confident they will continue to expand, so they pay their workers more to keep them

It takes full employment in a sector and a hot economy to raise wages, and do it with little inflation
    That's what Trump has done

26. The Following User Says Thank You to dukkha For This Post:

Earl (01-27-2020)

27. #14 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,812 Times in 6,202 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 493 Times in 469 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PoliTalker View Post
    Hello Walt,

I would expect struggling ex coal workers would be getting lukewarm on the BS that the economy is great for everybody. Especially when they are not left with any/much disposable income at the end of the bills.

Great thread. Thanks for starting it. Way too close to reality for Trump fans.
    You mean the workers libs brag about killing their jobs? Those workers?
    Every life matters

28. #15 | Top
    Living in rural America, "clinging to guns and religion"
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,615 Times in 17,054 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 522 Times in 502 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by dukkha View Post
    unemployment is at record lows - that's the macro-trend on supply and demand.
    If you got a skill or a degree -you can definately get a job.

and with virtually FULL EMPLOYMENT WAGES ARE STILL RISING - meaning the economy is hot and management is confident they will continue to expand, so they pay their workers more to keep them

It takes full employment in a sector and a hot economy to raise wages, and do it with little inflation
    That's what Trump has done
    Please realize you are arguing with an individual (Polibabble) absorbed with sheer stupidity.
    Common sense is not a gift, it's a punishment because you have to deal with everyone who doesn't have it.