Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Was Nixon Guilty? Trump Fan And Convict Roger Stone Doesn't Think So.

1. #16 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,010 Times in 8,569 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 498 Times in 487 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tranquillus in Exile View Post
    Nixon wasn't convicted of anything. The Senate Republicans told him they wouldn't support him in an impeachment trial, so he quit. But first he made sure that his successor would give him a blanket pardon.

Added
    Also he was a Quaker, like Trump is a Presbyterian.
    Jimmy believes he is. He claimed both Nixon and Trump are guilty. If Nixon nor Trump have been convicted of anything, how can your fellow lefty claim they are guilty.

2. #17 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,095 Times in 13,072 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,908 Times in 5,169 Posts
    Blog Entries

Hello Walt,

Quote Originally Posted by Walt View Post
    Nixon was going to fight it to the end, when Republicans told him with no uncertainty that he would be convicted. At that time, Republicans were willing to vote for conviction, if the evidence was complete. Nixon went on to only agree to resign if he were promised a pardon. That was a pardon that he accepted.

The Supreme Court has found that accepting a pardon is the same as pleading no contest to being guilty. If you claim you are innocent, you are supposed to refuse the pardon. A pardon could be seen as a plea bargain where you admit you are guilty, and they agree not to punish you for being guilty.

trump's supposed charity has conceded guilt on several points. While debts are hard to get past corporate firewalls, criminal guilt is very easy to get past a corporate firewall.
    Trump fans are in total denial of all of Trump's very very questionable remarks and decisions. They guy is messed up. He has no morals. None! He fights dirty. He does not represent the majority of the nation, which does not want that. The ones who buy in are trying to ignore the immorality because he stokes their fantasies and supports their conservative myths. It's not working. The wheels are coming off. He got impeached. If his sycophants didn't have this majority in the Senate, if Trump didn't have the absolute power of the constant threat of tweet-shaming, he would be the first President ever to be thrown out of office.

Trump's precarious cling to power cannot last. We are going to see the end of this extremism, sooner or later. We are not an extreme nation. Most of us have had quite enough, a long time ago. He has approached absolute power, and absolute power always corrupts, absolutely. That is what is happening.

Trump fans, I hope you see just how barely this whole thing is managing to hang on. America did not vote for Trump. The popular vote went against him. And Hillary is no angel, that's for sure. Many of us who voted for her had to hold our nose to do so. You are a vocal minority. All of your fantasies about the biggest inauguration and the polls being wrong, that's all BS. You already lost the people's House. You are a small number of Senate seats away from losing all your ugly anti-social pipe dreams. The more you push, the more BS you swallow and expect us to not notice, the more the rest of us are going to be motivated to make sure Trump loses in November. You can't win this. It has gotten too ugly. We have had enough. We want our country back. We need our country back. The world needs good America back. Being a bad ass has not worked out well. You got to try your little experiment in extreme right wing policy and it has failed. It never could have worked. People prefer nice over mean.

This hateful thing where you think other powerless ordinary people are the problem? Immigrants and minorities? That's BS, You need to forget that.

It's the powerful who make the decisions.

Now, you think Democrats are the problem. That's wrong. They are not ultimately the most powerful. Too many of them are controlled by the rich. Both parties have too much corruption.

It is the super rich power junkies. That's the problem. Always has been. The corrupting influence over both parties. Right back to the Military Industrial Complex. And now we have the Medical Industrial Complex.

Should we hate them for it? No!

Hatred is wrong. We shouldn't hate anybody. Hatred consumes you, makes rational thought impossible.

We need to understand that a logical approach is required, not an emotional one.

Hatred is actually not logical.

We need to rationally understand reality, and we need to get organized against the real enemy, the super-rich. And we need to spread the word to others so everyone understands the same thing. All of this garbage about other powerless people we are supposed to hate? Like union people? Like immigrants? And people of other races and cultures? That's not the problem. We have to get past that and organize together, left and right, against the super rich.

They keep us divided by stoking the fires of division. That is how their control works. Without this bitter polarization, we might actually start talking, start figuring things out. Begin to see things in a new light, see the big picture. Organize against them. And that would be the beginning of the end for them. And really, we are not so different. Our differences are minor compared to the BS the power-junkies are pushing on us now. And the pressing major problems being ignored, such as climate change.

We've got to get this, understand it, and spread the word. Once we get enough people onboard we will have our prosperous functional powerful nation. And it will be better for everybody. And the world. And that's something everybody should be able to agree on.

We all just have to step back and see the big picture. We cannot fall victims to propaganda. It's time to wise up.
    Personal Ignore Policy PIP: I like civil discourse. I will give you all the respect in the world if you respect me. Mouth off to me, or express overt racism, you will be PERMANENTLY Ignore Listed. Zero tolerance. No exceptions. I'll never read a word you write, even if quoted by another, nor respond to you, nor participate in your threads. ... Ignore the shallow. Cherish the thoughtful. Long Live Civil Discourse, Mutual Respect, and Good Debate! ps: Feel free to adopt my PIP. It works well.

3. #18 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Hello Tranquillus in Exile,

Quote Originally Posted by Tranquillus in Exile View Post
    Nixon wasn't convicted of anything. The Senate Republicans told him they wouldn't support him in an impeachment trial, so he quit.
    Nixon did not possess the absolute power of tweet-shaming. He was at the mercy of the press. Nixon was unable to bypass the media, control the message like Trump can.
    Personal Ignore Policy PIP: I like civil discourse. I will give you all the respect in the world if you respect me. Mouth off to me, or express overt racism, you will be PERMANENTLY Ignore Listed. Zero tolerance. No exceptions. I'll never read a word you write, even if quoted by another, nor respond to you, nor participate in your threads. ... Ignore the shallow. Cherish the thoughtful. Long Live Civil Discourse, Mutual Respect, and Good Debate! ps: Feel free to adopt my PIP. It works well.

4. #19 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 24,567 Times in 17,094 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,575 Times in 4,254 Posts

Nixon was guilty of paying off his criminals and obstructing justice. If Ford did not pardon him, he may have wound up in jail.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Nordberg For This Post:

PoliTalker (01-26-2020)

6. #20 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 1 Time in 1 Post

In the words of Tiny Tim
    "God Bless President Donald Trump"

7. #21 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,025 Times in 8,281 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,673 Times in 2,479 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by CFM View Post
    If Nixon nor Trump have been convicted of anything, how can your fellow lefty claim they are guilty.
    Nixon accepted a pardon, which is the legal equivalent of pleading no contest, which in turn is basically a guilty plea. Nixon decided not to deny guilt, which in the eyes of the law makes him as guilty as if he was convicted. Actually, anyone who pleads guilty or no contest is technically not convicted, which is not much of a defense.

trump has also plead no contest in the crimes of his foundation. he will probably be found not guilty by the Senate in the impeachment.

Sometimes guilty people get away with their crimes. I can say he is guilty, because of freedom of speech. To sue me for slander, trump would have to prove he was not guilty beyond a point that any reasonable person would believe him to be guilty. That is a legal standard he could never make.

8. #22 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Hello Nordberg,

Quote Originally Posted by Nordberg View Post
    Nixon was guilty of paying off his criminals and obstructing justice. If Ford did not pardon him, he may have wound up in jail.
    That would have been the best outcome.

Getting pardoned for no other reason that agreeing to leave was far too lenient, and it set a bad example. It definitely enforced the belief that if you are powerful enough, and rich enough, and have enough connections that you are indeed above the law. Especially seeing how Nixon worked outside the US government as a candidate and made deals with the North Vietnamese. That prolonged the war and got thousands more killed. Nixon should have rightly gone to prison, ideally.

9. #23 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,010 Times in 8,569 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 498 Times in 487 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Walt View Post
    Nixon accepted a pardon, which is the legal equivalent of pleading no contest, which in turn is basically a guilty plea. Nixon decided not to deny guilt, which in the eyes of the law makes him as guilty as if he was convicted. Actually, anyone who pleads guilty or no contest is technically not convicted, which is not much of a defense.

trump has also plead no contest in the crimes of his foundation. he will probably be found not guilty by the Senate in the impeachment.

Sometimes guilty people get away with their crimes. I can say he is guilty, because of freedom of speech. To sue me for slander, trump would have to prove he was not guilty beyond a point that any reasonable person would believe him to be guilty. That is a legal standard he could never make.
    No in the least bit but go on believing some tripe a fellow lefty told you.

He will be found not guilty by the Senate which means the Senate believes no crimes were committed. You may not like it but that is the law, boy.

You can claim anything you want. That doesn't make it true

Why would Trump sue an insignificant, n-loving, piss ant like you for anything. He's worth billions and you aren't worth shit in a nigger's back yard.

10. #24 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 24,567 Times in 17,094 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,575 Times in 4,254 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by PoliTalker View Post
    Hello Nordberg,

That would have been the best outcome.

Getting pardoned for no other reason that agreeing to leave was far too lenient, and it set a bad example. It definitely enforced the belief that if you are powerful enough, and rich enough, and have enough connections that you are indeed above the law. Especially seeing how Nixon worked outside the US government as a candidate and made deals with the North Vietnamese. That prolonged the war and got thousands more killed. Nixon should have rightly gone to prison, ideally.
    Ford established the precedent that the prez is not responsible for what he does and is above the law. Nixon should have faced the courts like anyone else.

11. #25 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Starr is carrying on about how bipartisan it was during Nixon.

Hello Ken Starr. We didn't have Fox then. Everybody got the same news. All the channels had the same news.

And we didn't have twitter or the internet or cell phones or social media.

YUGE difference!

You can't claim this needs to track the way it went down for Nixon.

Hello, if Nixon had twitter he wouldn't have been thrown out of office. He would have been able to bypass the media, wouldn't have been at the mercy of the media. Would have been able to control his own story.

12. #26 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Up until a certain point, all the Republicans were with Nixon.

when those dominoes fell, it happened very quickly.

First they were with Nixon, then there were against him.

Kind of like the way Republicans handled Trump during the campaign, when the Access Holllywood video came out. First they were with him, then all of a sudden they were against him.

Can Trump tweet his way out of this?

Is it all just 'locker room talk?'

13. #27 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

The Clinton impeachment was a bogus one for a very low grade crime.

Really, it was the Republicans trying to even the scales after Nixon.

Thus, Republicans cheapened impeachment.

Republicans lowered the Barr.

14. #28 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,939 Times in 11,525 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,361 Times in 1,347 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PoliTalker View Post
    Stone was wrong about Nixon and he's wrong about Trump.
    Stone's opinion is not a proof.

15. #29 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jimmymccready View Post
    There is no imperial presidency, so, yes, Trump and Nixon were and are and forever will be . . . guilty.
    Of what?

16. #30 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by MASON View Post
    Says the backer of a Criminal!
    What crime?