Thread: Democrats Charge The WB Complaint Was Illegally Stalled, Withheld From Congress

1. #1 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,095 Times in 13,072 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,908 Times in 5,169 Posts
    Blog Entries

Default Democrats Charge The WB Complaint Was Illegally Stalled, Withheld From Congress

"The inspector general is required to review complaints within 14 days and determine whether they are of "urgent concern," meaning they report a serious problem, abuse, or violation of the law "relating to the funding, administration, or operation of an intelligence activity within the responsibility and authority of the director of national intelligence involving classified information."

Any credible complaints must then go to the director of national intelligence, or DNI, who has seven days to forward them to the intelligence committees in Congress along with any relevant documents."

The complaint was filed on August 12th.

That would mean it should have been delivered to Congress by Sept 2nd. (21 days later)

"Atkinson, a Trump appointee, found the whistleblower’s complaint credible and a matter of "urgent concern," according to Schiff’s letter. He forwarded the complaint to Maguire, the acting director of national intelligence.

But Maguire did not turn the complaint over to the intelligence committees, and he also refused to guide the whistleblower on how to contact the committees directly, according to the letter. "

"Sept. 13 — Democratic Rep. Adam Schiff, the chairman of the House intelligence committee, issues “a subpoena to the Acting Director of National Intelligence (DNI) Joseph Maguire to compel the production of a whistleblower complaint that the Intelligence Community Inspector General’s (IC IG) determined to be credible and a matter of ‘urgent concern,’ as well as the IC IG’s determination and all records pertaining to the Office of the Director of National Intelligence’s (ODNI) involvement in this matter, including any and all correspondence with other Executive Branch actors such as the White House.”"

"Sept. 26 — The House intelligence committee releases a redacted copy of the whistleblower complaint, and hears testimony from Maguire, the acting director of national intelligence.

Maguire says the whistleblower acted in “good faith” and “did the right thing.” Democrats on the committee press him on why he did not initially turn over the whistleblower’s complaint. Maguire says it was an “unprecedented” situation, and he was concerned about the possibility of “executive privilege,” so he brought the matter to the attention of the White House and then the Department of Justice. He said he did not initially release the complaint based on the advice of lawyers in the Department of Justice."

DOJ lawyers? Conflict of interest! William Barr was implicated in the complaint. His office has no business reviewing the validity of the complaint.

Politifact

FactCheck

The complaint was about President Trump. Macguire ran it through the White House before delivering it to Congress? That doesn't pass the smell test.

Whether or not that is OK (and it certainly does not appear to be OK) the legal timeline to deliver the complaint to the House Committee Chairman had expired before it was delivered.

The complaint was illegally stalled as President Trump continued his abuse of power.
    Personal Ignore Policy PIP: I like civil discourse. I will give you all the respect in the world if you respect me. Mouth off to me, or express overt racism, you will be PERMANENTLY Ignore Listed. Zero tolerance. No exceptions. I'll never read a word you write, even if quoted by another, nor respond to you, nor participate in your threads. ... Ignore the shallow. Cherish the thoughtful. Long Live Civil Discourse, Mutual Respect, and Good Debate! ps: Feel free to adopt my PIP. It works well.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to PoliTalker For This Post:

Guno צְבִי (01-22-2020)

3. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

I wonder who ordered Maguire to stall the WB complaint from reaching Congress?
    Personal Ignore Policy PIP: I like civil discourse. I will give you all the respect in the world if you respect me. Mouth off to me, or express overt racism, you will be PERMANENTLY Ignore Listed. Zero tolerance. No exceptions. I'll never read a word you write, even if quoted by another, nor respond to you, nor participate in your threads. ... Ignore the shallow. Cherish the thoughtful. Long Live Civil Discourse, Mutual Respect, and Good Debate! ps: Feel free to adopt my PIP. It works well.

4. #3 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

"WE ARE STANDING UP FOR WHAT IS RIGHT FOR AMERICA!"

"Oh, wait a minute. If Trump doesn't want us to, then forget it."

5. #4 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Why was the law broken to favor Trump?