Thread: More Americans are choosing cremation over traditional burials, survey finds

1. #1 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,616 Times in 9,137 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,428 Times in 1,257 Posts

Default More Americans are choosing cremation over traditional burials, survey finds

Never heard of plastination or a green cremation?!!

Have you thought about what to do with your body when you die? More Americans are choosing cremation over traditional burials, says a new survey.

A new report by insurance firm Choice Mutual found 44% of Americans plan on being cremated, a 40% increase from the 1960s. Traditional burials were the second most popular choice, with 35% of Americans preferring the method.

Choice Mutual surveyed 1,500 people in the U.S. on their burial preferences and practices.

Other burial preferences include donating their bodies to science at 6% and natural burials – being buried without a casket in the ground – at 4%.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money...ds/4530268002/

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to signalmankenneth For This Post:

Guno צְבִי (01-22-2020), Phantasmal (01-23-2020)

3. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 23,845 Times in 14,185 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,453 Times in 1,372 Posts
    Blog Entries

We jews have green burials , plain pine box without any metal and placed directly into the ground with no grave liners

Jewish law prohibits the use of any materials that are not completely degradable in the construction of a burial casket. This is because unnatural materials will prevent the body from returning to the Earth as quickly as possible. There is a common misconception that people of the Jewish faith must be buried in a plain pine box.

However, a casket is a traditional, kosher casket if it meets all three of the following criteria:

The casket must be made of wood. While pine is acceptable, so are caskets made of poplar, oak, cherry, maple, mahogany or any other type of wood. It can be stained or unstained, polished or unpolished, and can be of various shapes.
    The casket must be totally free of metal. No nails, screws, or metal hardware can be in its workmanship.
    The casket cannot be manufactured on the Sabbath.

https://www.chabad.org/library/artic...t-Funerals.htm

Jewish Burial Equals Green Burial

Both Jews and Muslims trace their ancestry to the patriarch Abraham. It’s interesting to note that Muslim burial traditions are very similar to Jewish traditions. Muslims also bury within 24 hours, avoid embalming, dress the deceased in white clothing, and bury them in contact with the earth, often in burial shrouds, with no casket.

https://agoodgoodbye.com/news/articl...-green-burial/
    Last edited by Guno צְבִי; 01-22-2020 at 08:46 PM.
    “If we have to have a choice between being dead and pitied, and being alive with a bad image, we’d rather be alive and have the bad image.”

— Golda Meir

Zionism is the movement for the self-determination and statehood for the Jewish people in their ancestral homeland, the land of Israel.

“If Hamas put down their weapons, there would be no more violence. If the Jews put down their weapons, there would be no Israel."

ברוך השם

4. #3 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,616 Times in 9,137 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,428 Times in 1,257 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by guno View Post
    We jews have green burials , plain pine box without any metal and placed directly into the ground with no grave liners

Jewish law prohibits the use of any materials that are not completely degradable in the construction of a burial casket. This is because unnatural materials will prevent the body from returning to the Earth as quickly as possible. There is a common misconception that people of the Jewish faith must be buried in a plain pine box.

However, a casket is a traditional, kosher casket if it meets all three of the following criteria:

The casket must be made of wood. While pine is acceptable, so are caskets made of poplar, oak, cherry, maple, mahogany or any other type of wood. It can be stained or unstained, polished or unpolished, and can be of various shapes.
    The casket must be totally free of metal. No nails, screws, or metal hardware can be in its workmanship.
    The casket cannot be manufactured on the Sabbath.

https://www.chabad.org/library/artic...t-Funerals.htm

Jewish Burial Equals Green Burial

Both Jews and Muslims trace their ancestry to the patriarch Abraham. It’s interesting to note that Muslim burial traditions are very similar to Jewish traditions. Muslims also bury within 24 hours, avoid embalming, dress the deceased in white clothing, and bury them in contact with the earth, often in burial shrouds, with no casket.

https://agoodgoodbye.com/news/articl...-green-burial/
    I would consider a green burial?!!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to signalmankenneth For This Post:

Guno צְבִי (01-22-2020)

6. #4 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,108 Times in 3,183 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 137 Times in 133 Posts
    Blog Entries

SMARTNEWS Keeping you current
    Washington Becomes First State to Allow ‘Human Composting’ as a Burial Method
    The accelerated decomposition method transforms remains into soil and uses just an eighth of the energy required for cremation

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart...ing-180972020/

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Controlled Opposition For This Post:

Guno צְבִי (01-22-2020)

8. #5 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,634 Times in 9,300 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,405 Times in 1,371 Posts
    Blog Entries

Hefty bag,and the nearest dumpster.
    AM I, I AM's,AM I.
    What day is Michaelmas on?

9. #6 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,005 Times in 8,032 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,672 Times in 1,550 Posts

I'd like to be wrapped in some kind of sheet like muslin or burlap etc., taken deep into the woods out in some national park, then have my remains trussed to a wooden plank and hoisted up into the top of a large tree, where the plank would be fastened to the upper branches of the tree.

I love trees and the fresh air and being up in a tree I'd be in both.

I'll probably end up being cremated by the county and disposed of with the rest of the unclaimed corpses.

10. #7 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,010 Times in 8,569 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 498 Times in 487 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Nomad View Post
    I'd like to be wrapped in some kind of sheet like muslin or burlap etc., taken deep into the woods out in some national park, then have my remains trussed to a wooden plank and hoisted up into the top of a large tree, where the plank would be fastened to the upper branches of the tree.

I love trees and the fresh air and being up in a tree I'd be in both.

I'll probably end up being cremated by the county and disposed of with the rest of the unclaimed corpses.
    Damn right no one would claim you.