Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Most and least educated states in the U.S.

1. #16 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,340 Times in 8,498 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,701 Times in 2,506 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by RB 60 View Post
    You seem to have an infatuation with the "poorly educated." What is your criteria for one to be "uneducated," and why? Who then, are the "educated"?
    White uneducated men got trump elected, and are bringing down the average life expectancy of America for three years in a row. There is something going very wrong with them, and their pain is hitting the rest of us. I am trying to understand them.

I would consider uneducated to be people with a high school diploma or less. They may have vocational training, but would not have a college education.

There is an ill-defined subgroup which do not have a clear label. The fact that trump voters better correlate with worsen health outcomes than with the greater group of uneducated whites means that there is a subgroup that is both trump voters, and having worsening health outcomes.

2. #17 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,959 Times in 6,246 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 483 Times in 453 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Walt View Post
    Connecticut is 10.1% black, and Massachusetts is 8.8% black. Only 79% of people in Massachusetts speak English at home, with 7.5% speaking Spanish at home. Both states have a little over 70% non-hispanic whites. That is far less than 99.9%.

Colorado has exactly 70% non-hispanic whites. It has only 4% black, but a lot more Hispanics.
    You didn't mention Vermont, lol.

Juxtapose the "top states" against the bottom states by racial demographics.

There is an undeniable racial component.

3. #18 | Top
    Living in rural America, "clinging to guns and religion"
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,617 Times in 17,056 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 522 Times in 502 Posts

White uneducated men got trump elected, and are bringing down the average life expectancy of America for three years in a row. There is something going very wrong with them, and their pain is hitting the rest of us. I am trying to understand them.

I would consider uneducated to be people with a high school diploma or less. They may have vocational training, but would not have a college education.

There is an ill-defined subgroup which do not have a clear label. The fact that trump voters better correlate with worsen health outcomes than with the greater group of uneducated whites means that there is a subgroup that is both trump voters, and having worsening health outcomes.
    So, you believe that only college graduates are "educated"? Do you believe someone without an "education" cannot work themselves up into a position in what you might consider (ie: management) only the "educated" can?
    Common sense is not a gift, it's a punishment because you have to deal with everyone who doesn't have it.

4. #19 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Life is Golden View Post
    You didn't mention Vermont, lol.

Juxtapose the "top states" against the bottom states by racial demographics.

There is an undeniable racial component.
    Vermont is VERY white, but the rest on the list are only an average amount white.

5. #20 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

So, you believe that only college graduates are "educated"? Do you believe someone without an "education" cannot work themselves up into a position in what you might consider (ie: management) only the "educated" can?
    You seem desperate to take offense. Yes, I consider only formally educated people to be formally educated. We cannot figure out how many people "self educated", or even a good definition of that.

Education is not a guarantee of success, or even of ability. There are uneducated people who are CEOs of companies.

6. #21 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

You seem desperate to take offense. Yes, I consider only formally educated people to be formally educated. We cannot figure out how many people "self educated", or even a good definition of that.

Education is not a guarantee of success, or even of ability. There are uneducated people who are CEOs of companies.
    So, if "education is not a guarantee of success, or even of ability," what makes the "educated" superior to who you say are the "uneducated"?
    Common sense is not a gift, it's a punishment because you have to deal with everyone who doesn't have it.

7. #22 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

So, if "education is not a guarantee of success, or even of ability," what makes the "educated" superior to who you say are the "uneducated"?
    I never said educated was superior to uneducated.

8. #23 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 6 Times in 5 Posts

Default thay are so stupid

So it is true they really are stupid and ignorant, we actually have proof now
    De l'audace, encore de l'audace, toujours de l'audace et la Patrie sera sauvée!

9. #24 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 6 Times in 5 Posts

Sad reallly
    De l'audace, encore de l'audace, toujours de l'audace et la Patrie sera sauvée!

10. #25 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

I never said educated was superior to uneducated.
    You seem to berate those you claim are "uneducated." My question is what do you consider "educated"?
    Do you consider someone with no high school diploma, but 35 years hands-on work experience "uneducated"?

11. #26 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

You seem to berate those you claim are "uneducated." My question is what do you consider "educated"?
    Do you consider someone with no high school diploma, but 35 years hands-on work experience "uneducated"?
    Where do a berate those who are uneducated? I say there is a major problem with white uneducated people dying in larger numbers, and bringing down the life expectancy of the USA, but that is different from berating. That is talking about a health problem that has killed more people than AIDS.

There is no amount of non-education that makes one educated. 35 years of hands-on work experience is training. If I want some carpentry done, I would rather hire someone who is trained than someone who is educated.

12. #27 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 40,976 Times in 32,291 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,869 Times in 2,756 Posts
    Blog Entries

He claims to have a Master's Degree...
    I think he just said he had a master.......
    Isaiah 6:5
    “Woe to me!” I cried. “I am ruined! For I am a man of unclean lips, and I live among a people of unclean lips, and my eyes have seen the King, the Lord Almighty.”

13. #28 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,132 Times in 908 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 24 Times in 23 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by katzgar View Post
    Post like this are why it's so easy to make fun of you morons
    Make fun all you like, but stats don't lie. There are racial implications when it comes to IQ. Denial doesn't change reality.

To be fair, IQ is only one facet of intelligence. Accepting that there are aggregate differences between races doesn't mean that one race is superior to another overall. It just means that we're different in certain respects. This goes beyond the mental. There are physical differences as well.

I get why people are reluctant to accept these differences, because they were sometimes used by racists to justify things like segregation or other forms of oppression. Eugenicists were the main culprits of this. However, this does not mean we should deny differences between races.

It's like how we should acknowledge differences between men and women. The fact that we often deny differences between the sexes is why we've been illogical at dealing with trans issues realistically. All this nonsense of allowing biological males to compete against biological females in various athletics wouldn't happen if we just honestly admitted that biological males have major advantages in athletics over women because of testosterone and bone mass.

14. #29 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,132 Times in 908 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 24 Times in 23 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ThatOwlWoman View Post
    Even the ones that aren't in the South, like Ohio and Missouri, ranked poorly. What I saw as the common denominator was the state's government -- is it mostly blue or mostly red? The red ones fared the worst.

Here is the data in table format:

https://wallethub.com/edu/e/most-educated-states/31075/
    Yet most of the states that people are moving to are red or at least swing states. Most of the states that people are moving out of are blue states.

If these states are so bad, why do people keep moving to them?

15. #30 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,252 Times in 7,662 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,055 Times in 1,002 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Woko Haram View Post
    Make fun all you like, but stats don't lie. There are racial implications when it comes to IQ. Denial doesn't change reality.

To be fair, IQ is only one facet of intelligence. Accepting that there are aggregate differences between races doesn't mean that one race is superior to another overall. It just means that we're different in certain respects. This goes beyond the mental. There are physical differences as well.

I get why people are reluctant to accept these differences, because they were sometimes used by racists to justify things like segregation or other forms of oppression. Eugenicists were the main culprits of this. However, this does not mean we should deny differences between races.

It's like how we should acknowledge differences between men and women. The fact that we often deny differences between the sexes is why we've been illogical at dealing with trans issues realistically. All this nonsense of allowing biological males to compete against biological females in various athletics wouldn't happen if we just honestly admitted that biological males have major advantages in athletics over women because of testosterone and bone mass.
    Most of the "IQ" tests were devised by white men.

Make the tests rate ability to live without the constraints of society...(i.e. street smarts)...and the results would be remarkably skewed in a different direction.

Comes the apocalypse...the smart white people are almost certainly going to be counting on smart non-whites to get them through the troubles.
    ON HIS WORST DAY, JOE BIDEN IS A BETTER PRESIDENT THAN TRUMP WAS ON HIS BEST DAY!