Page 14 of 21 FirstFirst ... 4101112131415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: This is how you do a protest

1. #196 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,132 Times in 908 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 24 Times in 23 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by StoneByStone View Post
    A society where the people have as much power as the police is essentially a country without laws. Laws are enforced through the police force.
    Now with that being said, cops shouldn't have total power over us. I support the push to have all cops wear body cams, to make sure they're not abusing their power.
    Body cams are a good initiative, but plenty of police departments have not been transparent with the release of footage.

The power that police have isn't tied as much to weaponry as it is authority. Just because Joe the gun collector has a small armory, it doesn't mean that he has more power than the police. No collector is going to have the physical power to take on a SWAT team anyway.

FFLs technically can possess better firepower than the cops by a good margin, but they're also heavily regulated by the ATF.

2. #197 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Most of the world is. America is really the exception when it comes to free speech. At least for now.

Not anymore than we always have. I'm fine with debating the supposed merits of Fascism, but considering that logic and facts don't work on most people, I also understand deplatforming Fascists. It's definitely an interesting debate, but it's not anything new in the West.
    Deplatforming is basically an admission that you don't believe in the marketplace of ideas. If that concept is erroneous, then there's no point to having free speech.

3. #198 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 14,432 Times in 12,044 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,699 Times in 1,647 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Woko Haram View Post
    You didn't even read how they are defining assault weapons. Either that, or you don't know much about guns.
    Stone doesn't bother with definitions of facts; because such things interfere with her "opinions", that she truly believes are factual.

SEDITION: incitement of resistance to or insurrection against lawful authority.

4. #199 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

I don't trust government either, but at least with the government, we have checks and balances, transparency, and elections to keep everyone in line. It's not a perfect system, but it does work. And if you mean that a cop won't go to jail for failing to help us, that's true, but their job is to help us. If they fail, they should get fired, and that provides them an incentive.
    Given recent court rulings, that's not how it works though. We can't really depend on cops to much degree because of the fact that the Supreme Court has ruled that they aren't obligated to protect us. That's what Smarter was referring to.

Given that context, arming yourself with more than just bolt action guns with small magazines makes sense.

5. #200 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,265 Times in 3,123 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 266 Times in 254 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Into the Night View Post
    Sick indeed. They WANT a war.
    They want war and riots. What ever helps their bottom line.
    Keep changing the names. It doesn't change the meaning.

Abortion
    Pro-Choice
    Women's rights
    Women's Health

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Irish For This Post:

Saudade (01-22-2020)

7. #201 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,043 Times in 3,907 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,697 Times in 1,555 Posts

A semiauto rifle is not a "machine gun." Still, your argument could just as easily be used to say that I could defend myself with a knife. Why do I need a gun, if I have knife?

We could take it a step further and say that you don't need a knife if you know martial arts. And you don't need martial arts if you hire personal security.

Rights aren't based on "need", because needs are dependent on resources and are as mutable as the situation allows for.
    I know, I was just using a machine gun as an example.

What should be legal is always subjective. The way I see it, a gun can be used by anyone to defend themselves. If you're really old or have health issues, defending yourself with a knife could be difficult, whereas using a gun just requires pulling the trigger. Now the downside to being able to kill people really easily, is that you can kill people really easily. So the least we can do is restrict the kind of guns and gun accessories that people can have.

8. #202 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Given recent court rulings, that's not how it works though. We can't really depend on cops to much degree because of the fact that the Supreme Court has ruled that they aren't obligated to protect us. That's what Smarter was referring to.

Given that context, arming yourself with more than just bolt action guns with small magazines makes sense.
    Yes, and I agreed with him. Cops aren't legally required to protect us, but it is their job, and if a cop doesn't do their job, they are (at least in theory) fired.

And because I don't think we should completely trust cops, I'm find with people owning basic guns to protect themselves. But you don't need an AR-15 or an AK-47 with a long magazine to defend yourself. People get those guns to kill large packs of people at once.

9. #203 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Deplatforming is basically an admission that you don't believe in the marketplace of ideas. If that concept is erroneous, then there's no point to having free speech.
    I actually do agree with that. However, I also understand why people want to deplatform really dangerous ideas that will lead to real-world persecution. It's easy for us to talk about this here in an extremely low-stakes situation, but it's different when you have Faith Goldy on stage being applauded by hundreds of people who believe what she's saying.

But yeah, even with that being said, I don't like deplatforming.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to StoneByStone For This Post:

Saudade (01-23-2020)

11. #204 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

They are -- quite heavily, I might add.
    And yet we haven't lost our freedom. So there ya go, all of the Incels can calm down and go back to masturbating to Belle Delphine.

12. #205 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

SWAT teams do handle terror situations, but they are a small contingent of overall police. The average cop isn't that heavily armed.
    Which is good, but cops do have access to weapons that the rest of us don't. They're also allowed to carry guns in areas that the rest of us aren't. Part of having police is giving them a level of power the rest of us don't have.

13. #206 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Uh.... not in any sane system. Under a dictatorship, sure....
    Just because cops have to be able to do that, doesn't mean there aren't severe restrictions on when that's allowed. They're not allowed to just kill anyone they want.

14. #207 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 14,432 Times in 12,044 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,699 Times in 1,647 Posts
    Blog Entries

And yet we haven't lost our freedom. So there ya go, all of the Incels can calm down and go back to masturbating to Belle Delphine.
    OH-OH, Stone is sperging out and having to resort to name calling and insults.

SEDITION: incitement of resistance to or insurrection against lawful authority.

15. #208 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,617 Times in 2,816 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,328 Times in 1,225 Posts

Yes, and I agreed with him. Cops aren't legally required to protect us, but it is their job, and if a cop doesn't do their job, they are (at least in theory) fired.

And because I don't think we should completely trust cops, I'm find with people owning basic guns to protect themselves. But you don't need an AR-15 or an AK-47 with a long magazine to defend yourself. People get those guns to kill large packs of people at once.
    you do understand what the intent of the 2nd Amendment is, right?
    A sad commentary on we, as a people, and our viewpoint of our freedom can be summed up like this. We have liberals and conservatives, Democrats and Republicans, yet those very people look at Constitutionalists as radical and extreme.................so those liberals and conservatives, Democrats and Republicans must believe that the constitution is radical and extreme.

16. #209 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,617 Times in 2,816 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,328 Times in 1,225 Posts

Which is good, but cops do have access to weapons that the rest of us don't. They're also allowed to carry guns in areas that the rest of us aren't. Part of having police is giving them a level of power the rest of us don't have.
    we call that tyranny
    A sad commentary on we, as a people, and our viewpoint of our freedom can be summed up like this. We have liberals and conservatives, Democrats and Republicans, yet those very people look at Constitutionalists as radical and extreme.................so those liberals and conservatives, Democrats and Republicans must believe that the constitution is radical and extreme.

17. #210 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by SmarterthanYou View Post
    you do understand what the intent of the 2nd Amendment is, right?
    Yeah, yeah, the violent overthrow of the government, something something if the Jews only had guns in Nazi Germany.