Page 1 of 13 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Officials want to clear a mile-long homeless camp on a Sonoma County bike trail. Some

1. #1 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,494 Times in 9,086 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,427 Times in 1,256 Posts

Default Officials want to clear a mile-long homeless camp on a Sonoma County bike trail. Some

Officials want to clear a mile-long homeless camp on a Sonoma County bike trail. Some don't want to go

I get tired of public officials with their, out of sight and out of mind policies, making the homeless move?!!

If I was homeless, my main concern would be bathing and clean underwear to put on afterward?!! I take showers everyday, a habit I kept from the army?!!

Santa Rosa, California (CNN)The globs of peanut butter were evenly applied. But this was no sandwich.

Pest control workers were using the spread as bait as they installed rat traps -- 340 of them -- throughout the mile-long homeless encampment after infrared video from a sheriff's helicopter revealed a major rodent infestation.

"I think it's sad and overwhelming," said pest control technician Matt Dougherty of the conditions for more than 200 homeless residents. "We're here just to make it better for them."
    The rat problem could hardly have been a surprise. Trash and human waste had been piling up for months along the Joe Rodota Trail, nestled behind neighborhoods in the heart of Northern California wine country.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/01/18/us/sa...amp/index.html

I think it's a damn shame we even have homeless in this country?!! Coming up in the 50's, 60's, and 70's, I never did see any homeless people?!!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to signalmankenneth For This Post:

Earl (01-19-2020)

3. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,362 Times in 14,089 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 649 Times in 616 Posts

Not all the homeless are mentally ill but there is a fair number of them. I thought this interesting why there could have been less homeless on the street way back when. They were living in hospitals.

""Deinstitutionalization of the mentally ill has roots in the civil rights and civil liberties movements of the 1960s, which envisioned more fulfilling lives for those who had been languishing in understaffed psychiatric hospitals through new medications and robust community-based services. The number of patients living in state hospitals dropped from 535,000 in 1960 to 137,000 in 1980.""

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK519584/

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to cawacko For This Post:

Callinectes (01-18-2020), cancel2 2022 (01-18-2020), Truth Detector (01-24-2020)

5. #3 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,440 Times in 2,013 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 611 Times in 582 Posts

Hoovervilles all over again!
    I guess the stock market isn't helping homeless much
    Tie Your 'roo down Mate

6. #4 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,916 Times in 6,548 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,882 Times in 1,756 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by signalmankenneth View Post
    Officials want to clear a mile-long homeless camp on a Sonoma County bike trail. Some don't want to go

I get tired of public officials with their, out of sight and out of mind policies, making the homeless move?!!

If I was homeless, my main concern would be bathing and clean underwear to put on afterward?!! I take showers everyday, a habit I kept from the army?!!

Santa Rosa, California (CNN)The globs of peanut butter were evenly applied. But this was no sandwich.

Pest control workers were using the spread as bait as they installed rat traps -- 340 of them -- throughout the mile-long homeless encampment after infrared video from a sheriff's helicopter revealed a major rodent infestation.

"I think it's sad and overwhelming," said pest control technician Matt Dougherty of the conditions for more than 200 homeless residents. "We're here just to make it better for them."
    The rat problem could hardly have been a surprise. Trash and human waste had been piling up for months along the Joe Rodota Trail, nestled behind neighborhoods in the heart of Northern California wine country.

I think it's a damn shame we even have homeless in this country?!! Coming up in the 50's, 60's, and 70's, I never did see any homeless people?!!

So you never took showers or put on clean underwear until you went in the army? You must have smelled awfully bad my dear.

7. #5 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by floridafan View Post
    So you never took showers or put on clean underwear until you went in the army? You must have smelled awfully bad my dear.
    Before indoor plumbing was the Saturday bath

The greatest inconvenience of living in my boyhood day and age was the absence of a running water system and inadequate sewer system in the house. This is what I believe made the Saturday night bath an institution.

Saturday night bath, in a house with no plumbing, you haul in the water, heat it!

8. #6 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,616 Times in 10,680 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 617 Times in 606 Posts
    Blog Entries

If you are HOMELESS, AND UNIMPAIRED, YOUR FIRST CONCERN SHOULD BE GETTING A JOB....
    TRUMP WILL TAKE FORTY STATES...UNLESS THE SAME IDIOTS WHO BROUGHT US THE 2020 DUNCE-O-CRAT IOWA CLUSTERFUCK CONTINUE THEIR SEDITIOUS ACTIVITIES...THEN HE WILL WIN EVEN MORE ..UNLESS THE RED CHINESE AND DNC COLLUDE, USE A PANDEMIC, AND THEN THE DEMOCRATS VIOLATE ARTICLE II OF THE CONSTITUTION, TO FACILLITATE MILLIONS OF ILLEGAL, UNVETTED, MAIL IN BALLOTS IN THE DARK OF NIGHT..

De Oppresso Liber

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Grokmaster For This Post:

Callinectes (01-18-2020), Earl (01-19-2020)

10. #7 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,865 Times in 7,323 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 785 Times in 732 Posts
    Blog Entries

I will volunteer to clear that camp myself. All I ask is for a steamroller and qualified immunity.
    WATERMARK, GREATEST OF THE TRINITY, ON CHIK-FIL-A
    Quote Originally Posted by Sigmund Freud View Post
    The fields of mediocre chicken sandwiches shall be sowed with salt, so that nothing may ever grow there again.
    www.gunsbeerfreedom.blogspot.com

www.gunsbeerfreedom.blogspot.com

11. The Following User Groans At /MSG/ For This Awful Post:

Phantasmal (01-28-2020)

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to /MSG/ For This Post:

canceled.2021.2 (01-24-2020), Earl (01-19-2020), USFREEDOM911 (01-18-2020)

13. #8 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,039 Times in 2,191 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 603 Times in 570 Posts

I remember there used to be some police show on TV back in the 50's called the Naked City. It had a monologue that started out with, "There are 9 million different stories in New York etc.............

Well, it is true that 9 million people would have 9 million different stories, so it made some kind of sense.

About 40 years ago I was attending classes after work at the County College, and after a long day one day, I decided to dive into one of the bars across the street from the college, AND HAVE MYSELF A BEER! LOL!

I was there drinking my beer, and a stumble bum pulled up a barstool and as he sat down beside me, he asked, "Could you buy an old drunk a beer"?

I was a bit surprised by all this sudden predicament but I said, "OK- But only if you tell me what has led you to being a bum".

He pulled out his wallet and pulled out a business card and handed it to me. The card said so and so ATTORNEY AT LAW from one of the well know Dallas Law firms.

I asked him, "Is that you"? And he said, "Well it used to be me" So I asked him, "What happened to that"? THIS WAS HIS STORY.....

He said, he used to have a beautiful wife and two sons, a nice home in Highland Park, and everything he could possibly want. He said he bought one of those nice cigarette boats and he used to take it to Lake Texhoma and cruise the lake with his family. One day, he hit a wake wrong and flipped the boat over, throwing everyone out in the water, and no one was wearing any life vests. He could see his wife about 10 feet away and struggling, his sons were in the other direction 20 feet away and they looked like they were drowning. Well, somehow, his wife and both his sons drowned that day and he somehow managed to save himself.

He said it went downhill from there because he started drinking, turned into an alcoholic, and ended up losing his job, his home, and everything he owned but the clothes he was wearing.

I've kind of looked at bums a little differently since then. And since then, I've heard some rather sad stories from some of these bums- always about alcohol or drugs somewhere in the mix.
    Last edited by Adolf_Twitler; 01-18-2020 at 05:05 PM.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Adolf_Twitler For This Post:

Charoite (01-19-2020)

15. #9 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Grokmaster View Post
    If you are HOMELESS, AND UNIMPAIRED, YOUR FIRST CONCERN SHOULD BE GETTING A JOB....
    Can't get a job dickhead, when you're unwashed and unclean?!!

16. #10 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,030 Times in 8,285 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,673 Times in 2,479 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Grokmaster View Post
    In NYC, over half the homeless have a job. It is not enough to get them a home. And as another poster did put it, there are a lot of difficulties in getting a job without a home.

The most successful policy they have found to get rid of homeless is Housing First. Trying to solve other problems (mental health, drug addiction, employment) when homeless is almost impossible. If you get them into housing first, everything else will often fall into place. All other policies have less than a 10% success rate, but Housing First has over a 90% success rate. It really is magical.

BUT, our minds rebel against giving someone who refuses to deal with their other problems free housing. It does not seem right.

17. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Walt For This Post:

Charoite (01-19-2020), signalmankenneth (01-18-2020), ThatOwlWoman (01-18-2020)

18. #11 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,916 Times in 6,548 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,882 Times in 1,756 Posts
    Blog Entries

Before indoor plumbing was the Saturday bath

The greatest inconvenience of living in my boyhood day and age was the absence of a running water system and inadequate sewer system in the house. This is what I believe made the Saturday night bath an institution.

Saturday night bath, in a house with no plumbing, you haul in the water, heat it!
    Your crotch must stink to this day. I can only imagine what crawling around in that honey pot of yours.

19. #12 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,812 Times in 6,202 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 493 Times in 469 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Miss Margot Frank View Post
    Hoovervilles all over again!
    I guess the stock market isn't helping homeless much
    This is on California, not the federal government. Liberal states are the only ones with huge homeless problems.
    Every life matters

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to countryboy For This Post:

Truth Detector (01-24-2020), Wolverine (01-24-2020)

21. #13 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,812 Times in 6,202 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 493 Times in 469 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Walt View Post
    In NYC, over half the homeless have a job. It is not enough to get them a home. And as another poster did put it, there are a lot of difficulties in getting a job without a home.

The most successful policy they have found to get rid of homeless is Housing First. Trying to solve other problems (mental health, drug addiction, employment) when homeless is almost impossible. If you get them into housing first, everything else will often fall into place. All other policies have less than a 10% success rate, but Housing First has over a 90% success rate. It really is magical.

BUT, our minds rebel against giving someone who refuses to deal with their other problems free housing. It does not seem right.
    NYC, another city completely controlled by libs. Shocker.
    Every life matters

22. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to countryboy For This Post:

Earl (01-19-2020), Truth Detector (01-24-2020), Wolverine (01-24-2020)

23. #14 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,986 Times in 2,762 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 178 Times in 173 Posts

From Kenny's link:
    ...Trash and human waste had been piling up for months*...

...revealed a major rodent infestation...

...public health and safety concerns...

..."It's an occupation. It's taken over our neighborhood,"...

..."Yes, there are thieves and there are addicts,"...
    Gee, why wouldn't hardworking people want that in their backyard?

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sirthinksalot For This Post:

Earl (01-19-2020), Truth Detector (01-24-2020)

25. #15 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 14,432 Times in 12,044 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,699 Times in 1,647 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sirthinksalot View Post
    From Kenny's link:

Gee, why wouldn't hardworking people want that in their backyard?
    SEDITION: incitement of resistance to or insurrection against lawful authority.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to USFREEDOM911 For This Post:

Sirthinksalot (01-18-2020)