Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The U.S.-China Trade Deal Was Not Even a Modest Win

1. #1 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,593 Times in 4,192 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,203 Times in 1,060 Posts

Default The U.S.-China Trade Deal Was Not Even a Modest Win

So there we have it. The long-awaited shiny new trade deal with China, inked at a ceremony at the White House on Wednesday in the interstitial space before the Senate impeachment trial dominates the news cycles. If you detect a note of skepticism already creeping in, it’s because this pseudo-deal deserves not just skepticism but calling out as a dramatic failure of U.S. policy that will have lasting and deleterious effects. The deal simply restores the U.S.-China relationship to where it was pre-President Donald Trump, declares victory in areas that don’t matter as much as they did and has cost the U.S. billions in the meantime.

Nothing that China has agreed to, however, departs markedly from what it agreed to during the Obama administration. In 2015, President Barack Obama and Premier Xi Jinping announced an end to cyber-intellectual property theft and embarked on a next round of negotiations over market access. By 2016, many experts believed that China was indeed upholding its commitments, more or less, and the two countries were meeting regularly to hash out issues.

After two years of tariffs and mounting hostility, however, the agreement struck has cost the United States more than $30 billion to subsidize American farmers to compensate for Beijing’s retaliatory refusal to buy American agricultural goods. It has cost American consumers tens of billions in tariffs. It has forced U.S. companies to diversify their supply chains out of China at an additional cost of many billions.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/u-china-t...183752169.html
    The smoke and mirrors grifter who breaks things and then pretends to make progress by leaps and bounds by bringing it back to the way it was before he broke it.
    Last edited by Cinnabar; 01-18-2020 at 12:28 AM.
    BLUEXIT
    A Modest Proposal For Separating Blue States From Red

Dear Red-State Trump Voter,
    Let’s face it, guys: We’re done.

It is a tragedy that so much of the work that so many men and women toiled at for so long to make this a better country, and a better world, has been thrown away, leaving us all in such needless peril.

This is why our separation in all but name is necessary.

https://newrepublic.com/article/1409...mp-red-america

2. The Following User Groans At Cinnabar For This Awful Post:

Earl (01-18-2020)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Cinnabar For This Post:

Guno צְבִי (01-18-2020)

4. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 24,554 Times in 17,084 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,575 Times in 4,254 Posts

It was a win if you want to believe it.

5. #3 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 23,756 Times in 16,563 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,622 Times in 1,532 Posts

nothing that China has agreed to, however, departs markedly from what it agreed to during the Obama administration. In 2015, President Barack Obama and Premier Xi Jinping announced an end to cyber-intellectual property theft and embarked on a next round of negotiations over market access. By 2016, many experts believed that China was indeed upholding its commitments, more or less, and the two countries were meeting regularly to hash out issues.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to dukkha For This Post:

Earl (01-18-2020)

7. #4 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,991 Times in 8,258 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,672 Times in 2,478 Posts

The only way that you can call this trade deal a win is the Chinese will buy from people that trump wants them to buy from. In essence, it is a monumental bribe to trump supporters to make up for him letting them down on the economy.

But it is far from conservatism. Not just is the government picking winners and losers (not the market), but one man is picking winners and losers(trump). It is a reversion to fascist economics where a "strong man" directs the economy, and decides who should win and lose.

8. The Following User Groans At Walt For This Awful Post:

Earl (01-18-2020)

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Walt For This Post:

Althea (01-20-2020), Guno צְבִי (01-18-2020)

10. #5 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Walt View Post
    The only way that you can call this trade deal a win is the Chinese will buy from people that trump wants them to buy from. In essence, it is a monumental bribe to trump supporters to make up for him letting them down on the economy.
    ROFL.. because the economy is awful!

But it is far from conservatism. Not just is the government picking winners and losers (not the market), but one man is picking winners and losers(trump). It is a reversion to fascist economics where a "strong man" directs the economy, and decides who should win and lose.
    there is no centralized market planning by the US - even China stopped that crap with Maos "Great Leap(s) Forward"

China has SOE ( state owned enterprises) which is a hybrid - but still not any central planning.

Other then this I have no clue what you are trying to say here
    I don't know how you were diverted / You were perverted too
    I don't know how you were inverted / No one alerted you

11. The Following User Says Thank You to dukkha For This Post:

Earl (01-18-2020)

12. #6 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by dukkha View Post
    there is no centralized market planning by the US
    trump is deciding what the Chinese have to buy in order to trade with the USA. That is an insane level of central planning. I know it is undefendable, because you do not even bother to try to defend it.

13. The Following User Groans At Walt For This Awful Post:

Earl (01-18-2020)

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Walt For This Post:

Althea (01-20-2020), Guno צְבִי (01-18-2020)

15. #7 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 40,780 Times in 32,146 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,865 Times in 2,752 Posts
    Blog Entries

to be fair, for lib'ruls it was a loss.......
    Isaiah 6:5
    “Woe to me!” I cried. “I am ruined! For I am a man of unclean lips, and I live among a people of unclean lips, and my eyes have seen the King, the Lord Almighty.”

16. The Following User Says Thank You to PostmodernProphet For This Post:

Earl (01-18-2020)

17. #8 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by PostmodernProphet View Post
    What gives trump the right to decide industries with more liberals should lose, and industries with more conservatives should win? Why should trump replace the free market?

It seems like bribes when trump demands that China buys from certain people, and certain things in order to trade with America.

18. The Following User Groans At Walt For This Awful Post:

Earl (01-18-2020)

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Walt For This Post:

Guno צְבִי (01-18-2020)

20. #9 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 23,567 Times in 17,848 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 3,238 Times in 3,042 Posts
    Blog Entries

Horse mierda, if it is so bad, why did Nervous Nancy allow it to pass the House.

21. #10 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

trump is deciding what the Chinese have to buy in order to trade with the USA. That is an insane level of central planning. I know it is undefendable, because you do not even bother to try to defend it.
    ridiculous assertion. so far your posts have also been ridiculous.
    China has CONTRACTED to buy agri and even machinery from the USA. signing contracts is not "central planning"

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dukkha For This Post:

Earl (01-18-2020), PostmodernProphet (01-18-2020)

23. #11 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PostmodernProphet View Post
    Anything that President Trump accomplishes for America and Americans is a loss for the left.

They can not abide a victory for the president.

He has many.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Earl For This Post:

PostmodernProphet (01-18-2020)

25. #12 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by dukkha View Post
    ridiculous assertion. so far your posts have also been ridiculous.
    China has CONTRACTED to buy agri and even machinery from the USA. signing contracts is not "central planning"
    He was going to take his children to school this morning til TOP advised him that today is...Sat.

26. #13 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 40,780 Times in 32,146 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,865 Times in 2,752 Posts
    Blog Entries

What gives trump the right to decide industries with more liberals should lose, and industries with more conservatives should win? Why should trump replace the free market?

It seems like bribes when trump demands that China buys from certain people, and certain things in order to trade with America.
    you do realize that the whole purpose of the dispute over trade with China was to CREATE a free market, right?......tariffs were used to STOP China from refusing to buy from certain people and certain things......I realize you're new and you've got less than a hundred posts but if you want to be taken seriously you need to avoid posting stupid shit.........
    Isaiah 6:5
    “Woe to me!” I cried. “I am ruined! For I am a man of unclean lips, and I live among a people of unclean lips, and my eyes have seen the King, the Lord Almighty.”

27. The Following User Says Thank You to PostmodernProphet For This Post:

Earl (01-18-2020)

28. #14 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Earl View Post
    Horse mierda, if it is so bad, why did Nervous Nancy allow it to pass the House.
    trump's "deal" is a deal. It is not a treaty, so does not need Senate approval. Pelosi is the Speaker of the House, so not the Senate.

So the answer is that Pelosi did not pass it through the House.

29. The Following User Says Thank You to Walt For This Post:

Althea (01-20-2020)

30. #15 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Earl View Post
    Anything that President Trump accomplishes for America and Americans is a loss for the left.
    That is a sad statement on trump. Obama's economic victories were usually economic victories for all of America, not just some of America.

Getting the Chinese to promise to buy some agricultural goods from certain states is not a victory for me. I am not a farmer in Iowa. In a general sense, I am happy the Iowa farmers got their bribe, it will probably help them, but what did we have to give up to get that.

China is trying to decouple from America, and build its own technology. Americans are being frozen out of that. As a computer engineer, this is going to hit me hard. trump sold me out to help a bunch of Iowa farmers.

The worst part about it is the Iowa farmers seem very happy that the rest of America is being screwed. They really seem to hate us. When I ask why such the strong hatred for most of America, I never can get a straight answer.