Page 27 of 40 FirstFirst ... 1723242526272829303137 ... LastLast

Thread: Civil War museum gets rid of Confederate flag on new logo

1. #391 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,657 Times in 4,437 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 184 Times in 180 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by LV426 View Post
    No, I don't. But you seem to think so. Like, if we took down a monument you'd suddenly forget who lost the Civil War.
    No, and taking down WWI, WWII, or Union monuments would not make us forget who won those wars. Why don't we tear them down also?

Better, why don't we let people do what they want to. We follow the 1st amendment and don't ban anything and people who want to build museums and monuments can do so.

We have museums to Japanese and Germany culture. Do those celebrate a culture that committed atrocious acts, enslaved Korean women for sex slaves, murdered millions of Jews and innocent civilians?

They declared war on our country and served as enemy combatants (like the CSA).

2. #392 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,406 Times in 10,036 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,947 Times in 2,728 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Flash View Post
    It is not an either/or situation.
    Yes it is.

It is very black and white.

To argue that the Confederate Flag means anything other than the long, sordid history of the flag (history you said deserves to be on display in a museum setting), is to erase the history of that flag.

So you are calling it "erasing history" if the flag is ripped down, but you don't say those who wave it about aren't erasing the history of the flag when you claim it "means" something different to them. Could it be that they are being disingenuous with you, FLash, when they say that the flag represents something else? Like lying to you so they have an excuse to wave something of which they are fully cognizant and aware of its historical context?

Or are you of the mindset that people don't bullshit and lie?
    When I die, turn me into a brick and use me to cave in the skull of a fascist

3. #393 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

A museum and a monument have a historical context and those items should be displayed.
    Right, so waving it outside of that context means you're erasing the historical context of that flag.

That's what you're arguing, Flash.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to LV426 For This Post:

Phantasmal (01-28-2020)

5. #394 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Somebody waving a flag around "without their historical context" is their freedom to do so. That person's actions do not require historical context--it is freedom of expression or just plain freedom. And they do not require government approval in a free society.
    Cool. So you'd be totally OK with me waving a flag depicting your house on fire, your charred family's corpses on the front lawn, with an image of me dancing and laughing, holding a gas can and lit match, in your face, every day, everywhere you went, even among your neighbors, for the rest of your life? So that every time you left your house, you were confronted with that imagery. You'd be OK with that? Or would you go running to the cops claiming "harassment" or "intimidation"?

6. #395 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

By saying a museum is the proper context in no way limits it to a museum. That is not contradictory--just common sense.
    Flash is for the erasing of history, just not if someone else does it.

7. #396 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

No, I never agreed that the flag should be limited to a museum. I said any proper museum would include it as part of history
    AH! So if it's a part of history, waving it about without that proper historical context would be erasing the flag's history, wouldn't it?

8. #397 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Flying a flag outside a museum does not erase anything.
    Then tearing it down doesn't erase history either. And the thrust of your initial argument, that you put into words on this thread, was that tearing those dumb things down and banning them would "erase history" (YOUR WORDS).

9. #398 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,341 Times in 5,714 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 374 Times in 355 Posts

I love triggered liberals,

"get rid of that inanimate object"

Cool. So you'd be totally OK with me waving a flag depicting your house on fire, your charred family's corpses on the front lawn, with an image of me dancing and laughing, holding a gas can and lit match, in your face, every day
    great analogy tin foil.jpg

Its like I'm responding to retards
    This just In::: Trump indicted for living in liberals heads and not paying RENT

C̶N̶N̶ SNN.... Shithole News Network

Trump Is Coming back to a White House Near you

10. #399 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

There is more evidence video games lead to violence (although it is poorly done research) than any showing a Confederate flag causes any violence.
    There is no solid scientific evidence that video games cause violence and you know how I know that? They have the same video games in Japan we have here and violence there is nothing compared to violence here.

11. #400 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

showing a Confederate flag causes any violence.
    Dylan Roof literally posed with a Confederate Flag before shooting up a church of black people.

Japan has the same video games we have, yet don't have the same level of violence.

So it's not the video games that cause violence. But the Confederate Flag does, and that is proven from the lynchings during Reconstruction all the way up through the massacre perpetrated by Dylan Roof.

12. #401 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

So you think if he had no access to a Confederate flag he would not have committed murder?
    Who knows? I don't really care what Dylan Roof thinks, I care about what the victims think.

It was enough of a connection for South Carolina to tear that dumb thing down from its state grounds.

13. #402 | Top
    Living in rural America, "clinging to guns and religion"
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,512 Times in 16,974 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 522 Times in 502 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Getin the ring View Post
    I love triggered liberals,

"get rid of that inanimate object"
    "I am offended"!

I am offended by stupid liberals. Let's start getting rid of them

Common sense is not a gift, it's a punishment because you have to deal with everyone who doesn't have it.

14. #403 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

No, and taking down WWI, WWII, or Union monuments would not make us forget who won those wars. Why don't we tear them down also?
    Because they won.

Better, why don't we let people do what they want to.
    Because that is anarchy.

We follow the 1st amendment and don't ban anything and people who want to build museums and monuments can do so.
    The 1A is not absolute, and there are limits to free speech all the time. Like, for instance, burning a cross on someone's lawn.

We have museums to Japanese and Germany culture. Do those celebrate a culture that committed atrocious acts, enslaved Korean women for sex slaves, murdered millions of Jews and innocent civilians?

The problem Flash, is that the Confederacy was defined by its white supremacy; that's why I ask you, what history does the Confederate Flag teach that the Articles of Secession do not?

15. #404 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Getin the ring View Post
    Its like I'm responding to retards
    No, you're just talking to yourself.

16. #405 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,657 Times in 4,437 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 184 Times in 180 Posts

Dylan Roof literally posed with a Confederate Flag before shooting up a church of black people.

Japan has the same video games we have, yet don't have the same level of violence.

So it's not the video games that cause violence. But the Confederate Flag does, and that is proven from the lynchings during Reconstruction all the way up through the massacre perpetrated by Dylan Roof.
    Hatred and prejudice or mental illness caused lynchings and shootings, not flags. Nothing was "proven."

I do agree with you about the silly notion video games cause violence. It is equally silly to attribute violence to flags.