Page 22 of 40 FirstFirst ... 1218192021222324252632 ... LastLast

Thread: Civil War museum gets rid of Confederate flag on new logo

1. #316 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,424 Times in 10,050 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,947 Times in 2,728 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Flash View Post
    Lack of reading comprehension on your part. I argued that a Confederate flag should certainly be part of a Civil War museum, I said nothing about that being the only place it could be displayed. That is a stupid assumption.
    You said at least half a dozen times that tearing the flag down "eRaSeS hIsToRy". It was the thrust of your argument. Now you're saying that it doesn't have context, which means it has no history to erase if it is torn down.

You're trying to have it both ways.
    When I die, turn me into a brick and use me to cave in the skull of a fascist

2. #317 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,786 Times in 4,529 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 188 Times in 184 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by LV426 View Post
    Ah, but the Constitution was amended and now prohibits slavery, doesn't it? 13th Amendment. So the flag represents the abolition of slavery, thanks to the 13th Amendment.

Your lack of historical knowledge is painful. When you find yourself parroting the arguments of racists like CFM, that should be a big, red flag that you're on the wrong side of this one.
    So the U. S. flag represented slavery until the 13th Amendment? And the former Confederate states also ended slavery, so their flag must now represent the abolition of slavery--using your logic.

3. #318 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

A complete falsehood. You have a short memory. I argued today and previous days that I am a big defender of civil liberties and decried any effort of anybody to restrict flags or symbols. If you remember, you accused me of being anti-semitic because I called you a fascist for wanting to restrict those freedoms.

I have never argued the Confederate flag belongs only in a museum. I said it would be a poor museum that did not include the flag. Whether it erases history or not takes a backseat to constitutional freedoms. It has been a long time since the Civil War ended and I haven't seen anything erased, yet.
    LOL!

Flash, your entire argument was that taking them down "eRaSeS hIsToRy". Here's all the times you said so:

It was part of that history.
    Also, wanting to ban something because we don't like its symbolic or historical significance is worse than its display (and reminiscent of Nazis).
    Should we also close down the Civil War battleground museums that the South won? You want to lead us to a Fahrenheit 451 society.
    And you went completely off topic to monuments and flags in public places unrelated to museums.
    Using your logic we should ban the Articles of Secession because they glorify slavery and going to war to save it. After all, we can't let people know about those things. The history Nazis need to protect us from such knowledge.
    A good history would include all of them.
    Selective history is often misleading and designed to fit partisan prejudices.
    A Civil War Museum that did not include a Confederate flag would be doing a incomplete job of portraying the war and the two sides.
    You are the one who wants to erase the history of slavery by banning a flag that represents that slavery
    Then we agree. The Confederate flag belongs in a museum as part of the history of our country and slavery.
    I mean, I can do this all day...

4. #319 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

71% of American adults do not want want to remove tributes to those who fought for the Confederacy from public places.
    Who cares?

You just argued that the flag has no historical context. So if it doesn't, neither do the tributes, and therefore, can be torn down.

5. #320 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

]As you probably don't know, those limits do not include symbolic speech (burning a flag, displaying a flag or symbol). Fascists like yourself want many more limits on our freedoms.
    It's funny how you want to encourage the erasing of history and you call me the fascist.

6. #321 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Concerning all the "erasing history" BS why don't we allow those who want to display it can do so and those who do not don't have to. You anger and hostility must be about more than a flag.
    For the same reason you'd wet your panties over me flying a flag that depicts your burning house and the charred corpses of your family with me dancing and laughing around them holding a gas can and lit match, in your face, in public places, everywhere you go, for your entire life.

7. #322 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

So the U. S. flag represented slavery until the 13th Amendment? And the former Confederate states also ended slavery, so their flag must now represent the abolition of slavery--using your logic.
    The former Confederate states. Does the Confederacy still exist?

8. #323 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,770 Times in 3,312 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 166 Times in 157 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by guno View Post
    A Civil War museum in Frederick, Maryland, that used to have a Confederate flag on its logo ditched the controversial symbol in a new logo that was unveiled Wednesday.

The two affiliated museums, which now also have the new logo, include the Clara Barton Missing Soldiers Office in D.C. and the Pry House Field Hospital Museum in Keedysville, Maryland.

https://wtop.com/frederick-county/20...g-on-new-logo/
    So Democrats are fragile, petty snowflakes who cry over everything and can't handle witnessing anything they don't like. And? Is this supposed to be seen as new or interesting in some way?

We already knew Democrats were absurd lunatic crybullies lashing out at everything that doesn't fit their hilariously fringe, misinformed worldview.

9. #324 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

You said at least half a dozen times that tearing the flag down "eRaSeS hIsToRy". It was the thrust of your argument. Now you're saying that it doesn't have context, which means it has no history to erase if it is torn down.

You're trying to have it both ways.
    You seem to think a symbol has the same context and meaning for everybody. As I explained in an earlier post is has not such meaning for many people. Just as the peace symbol is not connected to Vietnam War protests for most young people today or young black men wearing Malcolm X t-shirts have no clue what he believed. Many Southern youth do not have such beliefs about the Confederate flag.

Surely you don't believe anyone displaying the flag wants to return to slavery or is sympathetic toward it???

It is often used at roadside stands as advertising. "Come get yo 'tomaters here, we are pro-slavery."

It is scary to think about those with your views running the country.

10. #325 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

The former Confederate states. Does the Confederacy still exist?
    No, that is why they are called "former."

11. #326 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

You seem to think a symbol has the same context and meaning for everybody.
    Flash, you said yourself the flag represents the history of slavery and white supremacy. By pretending it means something different for everyone, you're erasing the history of the flag:

You are the one who wants to erase the history of slavery by banning a flag that represents that slavery.
    This is what I mean when I talk about how you contradict your own shitty arguments.

Many Southern youth do not have such beliefs about the Confederate flag.
    You don't even fucking LIVE in the South, Flash. I do. So now what you're saying is that the erasing of history by erecting that flag and flying it about without its proper context was successful...which is the ultimate goal of those fascists; to erase history.

So thanks for helping me make my argument for me.

12. #327 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Again, should the swastika be banned in WWII or Holocaust museums? Or, the entire U. S.?
    As I have said, in a museum, they're in their proper context.

Outside of a museum, they aren't.

Yours is a passive-aggressive bigotry.

You said yourself the history of that flag is slavery and white supremacy. So if you're now saying that trash today doesn't recognize that representation, then defenders of that flag have successfully erased the history of it.

So congrats. You made my argument for me.

13. #328 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

I understand, but LV426 wants it banned everywhere--monuments destroyed,
    Damn right I do. Because, as you've explained, the historical significance and context has been erased.

14. #329 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

For the same reason you'd wet your panties over me flying a flag that depicts your burning house and the charred corpses of your family with me dancing and laughing around them holding a gas can and lit match, in your face, in public places, everywhere you go, for your entire life.
    Intimidation is not protected speech. But is that what you think the flag represents? Everybody does not live their lives over past events their relatives might have experienced--they have gone on to live successful lives.

15. #330 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

No, that is why they are called "former."
    Right, so if it doesn't exist....and as you say people are ignorant of what the flag represents today, then wouldn't the last 150 years of flying it been a successful erasing of history?