Members banned from this thread: evince, CharacterAssassin, Guno צְבִי and Adolf_Twitler

Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Harry and Meghan just can’t handle criticism

1. #1 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 35,051 Times in 26,519 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,742 Times in 4,521 Posts
    Blog Entries

Default Harry and Meghan just can’t handle criticism

Of course it's totally predictable that the woke Left will play the race card, that's what they always do in these situations.

Harry and Meghan just can’t handle criticism

‘Is there any one of the royal family who wants to be king or queen? I don’t think so.’ Back in 2017, when Meghan Markle was ‘girlfriend’ and not yet ‘Duchess of Sussex,’ Prince Harry was already expressing doubts about his future role. In a lengthy interview with US magazine Newsweek Harry explained, ‘I sometimes still feel I am living in a goldfish bowl,’ and described longing to be ‘something other than Prince Harry.’

Since the announcement of their resignation from the royal firm, much attention has focused on Meghan. To some (well, perhaps just Piers Morgan) she’s a ‘revolting human being’. To others, she’s the perfect role model for young women everywhere. Meghan may be villain or victim but Harry is rarely portrayed as anything other than her puppet. Either he’s being manipulated into making sure ‘what Meghan wants, Meghan gets,’ or he’s bravely suffering on her behalf. In reality, as his 2017 interview shows, Harry’s scepticism about his royal role is nothing new.

Harry has changed his mind about one thing. Two years ago he moaned about being a Prince but was quick to add: ‘we will carry out our duties at the right time.’ Resigning as a senior royal, or, more accurately, going part time, means opting out of the ‘duties’. So, why the change of heart?

For the woke commentariat, the answer is blindingly obvious. According to the Guardian, ‘abuse and neglect’ meted out by ‘the rightwing press’ has driven Harry and Meghan away. Afua Hirsch, writing in the New York Times, claims that many among Britain’s ‘communities of colour’ are ‘also thinking about moving.’ We’re given the impression that tabloid hacks regularly churn out racist diatribes for a nation swept up in a tide of Brexit-backed xenophobia.

But even Hirsch’s attempt to frame their treatment as all about racism, only really manages to uncover a dodgy headline and a bizarre reference in the Mail to Meghan’s ‘exotic DNA’. Hirsch mainly falls back upon ‘double standards’ to prove her point. Apparently, when other royals guest edit or appear on the front cover of magazines they are ‘quietly praised’ whereas Meghan was taken to task for her involvement with Vogue. And that’s before we even start on Prince Andrew. Count the column inches, urge Meghan’s champions. They demand to know why so much more attention is given to Harry and Meghan than Prince Andrew, who was friends with a convicted paedophile.

Certainly Harry and Meghan have received plenty of press attention. But press attention is fairly normal for the royals. Even before he became the rather pathetic figure he is today, Prince Andrew received his fair share. He was dubbed ‘Airmiles Andy’ because of his penchant for frequent and expensive business trips, preferably in a private jet or helicopter. This came after ‘Randy Andy’, the ‘playboy prince’ whose partying, drinking and presumed sexual conquests made for page after page of royal titillation. His relationship with Sarah Ferguson was subject to far more scrutiny, lurid headlines and long range paparazzi shots in one week than Harry and Meghan have experienced in a year.

Harry and Meghan have not had an easy ride from the press but it’s hard to prove they have been subjected to a racist double standard. What they have received is criticism. They have been criticised for preaching about environmentalism while flying around the world in private jets. They’ve been criticised for extravagance; £50,000 engagement dresses are beyond the reach of most of us. They’ve been criticised for complaining that no one asked if they were okay, while travelling around some of the poorest countries on earth. They’ve been criticised for taking public money – £2.4 million for home improvements – while not giving the public a glimpse of baby Archie’s christening.

Harry and Meghan may not like it but these are valid criticisms. But we live in strange times. Today, erstwhile republicans fawn over the royal couple, and those who would once have championed a free press now demand royal coverage is pre-approved and carefully curated by a Duke and Duchess that are beyond reproach.

This narrative has taught Harry it’s acceptable for him to ditch the tiresome commitment he once had to fulfilling his duty, and allows the pair to see stepping back from the responsibilities of public life as an act of bravery. Harry and Meghan want to drop boring duties and avoid pesky royal correspondents, but keep access to Charles’s wallet, inherited wealth and the status of royalty. What they really seem to want is immunity from criticism – and no public figure, no matter their titles or source of income – has a right to that.

https://app.spectator.co.uk/2020/01/...m/content.html

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to cancel2 2022 For This Post:

artichoke (01-17-2020), Bigdog (01-14-2020), Eagle_Eye (01-17-2020), Life is Golden (01-17-2020), Stretch (01-16-2020)

3. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 23,568 Times in 17,849 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 3,238 Times in 3,042 Posts
    Blog Entries

Patricians and plebeians...it’s always been best to be a Patrician.

Royal blood, not a popular concept in America.

Most here don’t care what they do.

4. #3 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Earl View Post
    Patricians and plebeians...it’s always been best to be a Patrician.

Royal blood, not a popular concept in America.

Most here don’t care what they do.
    Oh there is a need for royalty in the US, how else to explain the likes of Kim Karcrashian and her nightmarish family?
    Last edited by cancel2 2022; 01-13-2020 at 03:19 PM.

5. #4 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 40,780 Times in 32,146 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,865 Times in 2,752 Posts
    Blog Entries

I don't understand why anyone cares what they do.......there are plenty of royals to go around.....
    Isaiah 6:5
    “Woe to me!” I cried. “I am ruined! For I am a man of unclean lips, and I live among a people of unclean lips, and my eyes have seen the King, the Lord Almighty.”

6. #5 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,511 Times in 4,834 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,798 Times in 1,605 Posts
    Blog Entries

Who the F cares? And why is it on this board?
    WK1 3/28-/4 _Cases 301k--Dead 18.1k Lethality 2.72%
    WK2 4/5-/13 _Cases 555k--Dead 22.1K Lethality 3.9%
    WK3 4/20-/21 Cases 774k -Dead 37.2K Lethality 4.8%
    WK4 4/22-/29 Cases 1M --Dead 58.8K Lethality 5.9%
    WK5 5/1-/8__ Cases 1.3M -Dead 75.7K Lethality 6.1%
    WK6 5/9-16__Cases 1.4M --Dead 85.8K Lethality 6.1%
    WK7 5/17-24_Cases 1.7M - Dead 97.6K Lethality 5.9%
    WK8 5/28 Cases 1.7M - DEAD 101.2K - Same

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Centerleftfl For This Post:

Guno צְבִי (01-16-2020), Micawber (01-22-2020)

8. #6 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,417 Times in 7,536 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 270 Times in 253 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Havana Moon View Post
    Oh Theresa need for royalty in the US how else to explain the likes of Kim Karcrashian and her nightmarish family?
    Good point. Harry and Meghan should do reality tv, showing their blasted relatives they can make it on their own.

9. #7 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,507 Times in 1,787 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,738 Times in 1,599 Posts
    Blog Entries

Well, I suppose 'Harry' is only part of the Royal Family by politeness, and the hangers-on need thinning out, so good luck to the enterprise. It's going to be difficult to find an intermediate position for themselves, and 'Meghan' seems very much a bossy-britches, but what, really, has the whole thing got to do with us?

10. #8 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Trust Littlejohn to cut to the chase!

RICHARD LITTLEJOHN: And the Oscar for Best Actress goes to... Meghan Markle
    By Richard Littlejohn for the Daily Mail

Inside the Megxit summit: Harry talked to the Queen alone before crunch Sandringham talks, Meghan's conference call was BARRED...
    What does the Queen's statement on Harry and Meghan say and what does it mean? The six clues in Her Majesty's words about the...
    The Queen deserves better than this, as I wrote on Friday, but she certainly hasn’t let it affect her legendary equilibrium.

Yesterday’s hastily convened summit at Sandringham was a reminder to everyone, not just Harry and Meghan, exactly who’s in charge.

Her gaff. Her rules.

Even Philip was told to make himself scarce, for the sake of his own health. The last thing the frail 98-year-old Duke of Edinburgh needed was the prospect of Little Miss Markle laying down the law from Canada.

Her Maj was clearly determined, too, that the crisis was only going to cause minimum disruption to her daily routine.

She insisted that the summit be wound up in time for tea, so she could settle down in front of Pointless with a cup of Earl Grey and a plate of ginger biscuits.

How quintessentially English. As a young woman, the Queen will have grown up with Jack Buchanan’s whimsical 1935 song Everything Stops For Tea, a celebration of our love affair with a nice cuppa.

Curiously, when Long John Baldry recorded his own version of Everything Stops For Tea in 1972, it was co-produced by Elton John and Rod Stewart.

Fast-forward five decades and we now learn that Harry and Meghan decided to tell Elton John about their decision before informing Her Maj. No doubt they felt that was the least they could do after Elton paid for their private jet.

Presumably, they couldn’t get hold of Rod Stewart, who was still sleeping off his 75th birthday celebrations.

This is the world they now inhabit: beholden to a merry-go-round of septuagenarian pop stars, superwoke showbiz riff-raff, snouts-in-the-trough politicians and dubious billionaires. They’re welcome to each other.

Still, whatever you think about the Sussexes’ unilateral declaration of independence, there’s no doubt it has contributed enormously to the gaiety of the nation. Just sit back and enjoy it.

Never having been a monarchist, I rarely take any notice of royal tittle-tattle. But over the weekend, I’ve savoured every cough and spit. The devil, as always, is in the detail. Frankly, it’s difficult to know where to start. I haven’t stopped laughing for days.

There appears to be no limit to Meghan’s self-absorption and obsession with privacy, when it suits her.

According to one paper, we should have spotted that the couple were intending to do a Captain Oates when they took both their dogs to Canada for their six-week Christmas holiday.

Royal ‘sources’ confided that Meghan wouldn’t have contemplated subjecting her pet beagle and black Labrador to such a gruelling, nine-hour plane journey if she hadn’t been planning an extended stay away from Britain. The beagle is called Guy, and was rescued from a Kentucky swamp before Meghan adopted him. Oh, the sun shines bright on my old Kentucky swamp . . .

But we’re not allowed to know anything about the Labrador. The couple have never released the name of the dog, which they acquired in 2018. We’re not even told whether it is male or female.

Queen is 'bending over backwards to try and help Meghan and Harry': Royal experts give their verdicts on the historic Sandringham Summit
    The Queen GIVES IN to Harry and Meghan and lets them quit: Her Majesty says she wanted couple to stay as 'full-time royals' - but agrees they can 'create a new life' in UK and Canada as part of 'transition period' to be finalised in DAYS
    What’s the big secret? Has the Lab ticked the box marked ‘no publicity’? Is Meghan worried that if its identity is made public, it will be hounded (so to speak) by the puparazzi?

Is she concerned that every time the Lab goes walkies it will have to wear a baseball cap and sunglasses and be surrounded by burly minders — like Madonna, when she goes jogging. There was also a hilarious report about Harry’s attempts to pass himself off as one of the locals on Vancouver Island. According to the owner of a home decor store, while shopping for Christmas decorations, the Prince pulled a blue woolly hat down over his eyes and effected a terrible Canadian accent. On a small island, where everyone knows everyone else, he was doomed to failure, especially as he was accompanied by a close protection officer. He couldn’t have been more conspicuous if he tried. He might just as well have dressed up as a Mountie and started singing I’m A Lumberjack, I wish I’d been a Princess, just like my dear Mama . . .

The shop’s owner said: ‘I thought there was something familiar about him, even though I could barely see his face.’ Then the penny dropped. ‘Oh, my God, you’re Prince Andrew!’ You couldn’t make it up. And speaking of close protection officers, it was reported that the couple’s taxpayer-funded security detail could be downgraded once they turn their back on royal duties. They won’t be left ‘unguarded’, however, although their protection officers will now carry Tasers instead of shooters.

Thank God, we were worried sick. Never mind that the Old Bill think nothing of leaving the rest of us unguarded. I’ve been trying to imagine the top-level meeting at the Yard to review the couple’s security arrangements.

‘Now listen up. The fifth floor have decreed that security for the Duke and Duchess of Suffolk must be downgraded concomitant to the reduction in their royal commitments. Any suggestions? Yes, Hollis.’

‘Why don’t we swap their protection officers’ guns for Tasers? That should send out the right message.’ ‘Excellent idea. In fact, let ’em make do with truncheons and whistles. And instead of half a dozen Range Rovers, in future they can be accompanied everywhere by a bobby on a bicycle.’

Still, they shouldn’t be in much danger in laid-back Canada, which looks certain to be their destination for the forseeable.

Meghan has announced via ‘friends’ that she won’t live in the U.S. while the evil Donald Trump remains President.

Don’t you just love the arrogance of the woman, presuming to tell 327 million Americans who they are allowed to elect?

Funny how she won’t live in a country run by ‘racist’ Trump, but sucks up to Canadian PM Justin Trudeau, who has been caught out blacking up, not once but several times.

She’s also playing the victim card for all it’s worth — those ‘friends’ again threatening a warts ’n’ all interview with Oprah Winfrey, in which she will smear the Royal Family as racist and sexist, unless she gets the settlement she wants.

As Home Secretary Priti Flamingo says, the idea that Meghan has been forced out of Britain by racism is beyond absurd.

Maybe the makers of The Crown can hire Ms Markle to play herself in a movie version — with Chris Evans as Harry and Al Jolson as Trudeau. Nailed on for a Best Actress Oscar, I’d have thought.

Finally, I loved the story which said that, rather than learning about the couple’s announcement from TV, Her Maj read it first on her iPad.

I couldn’t help smiling. For my mum’s 91st birthday last summer, I bought her a new iPad. She now sits up half the night reading Mail Online. Maybe our 93-year-old Queen does the same.

Meanwhile, I have visions of the situation room at Sandringham being kitted out with one of the giant screens you see in White House war rooms, like the time they took out Osama Bin Laden.

You can just imagine Her Maj sitting there in a bomber jacket with the royal crest on her chest, directing operations, as General Sir Alan Fitztightly informs her: ‘Ma’am, we have a drone in situ over Vancouver Island and have eyeballs on the target. We await your instructions . . .’
    https://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/a...an-Markle.html
    Last edited by cancel2 2022; 01-14-2020 at 12:15 AM.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to cancel2 2022 For This Post:

Stretch (01-16-2020)

12. #9 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,511 Times in 4,834 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,798 Times in 1,605 Posts
    Blog Entries

Oh there is a need for royalty in the US, how else to explain the likes of Kim Karcrashian and her nightmarish family?

Only people who like gold more than the ROYALS are the Trumps!

Last edited by Centerleftfl; 01-13-2020 at 10:32 PM.
    WK1 3/28-/4 _Cases 301k--Dead 18.1k Lethality 2.72%
    WK2 4/5-/13 _Cases 555k--Dead 22.1K Lethality 3.9%
    WK3 4/20-/21 Cases 774k -Dead 37.2K Lethality 4.8%
    WK4 4/22-/29 Cases 1M --Dead 58.8K Lethality 5.9%
    WK5 5/1-/8__ Cases 1.3M -Dead 75.7K Lethality 6.1%
    WK6 5/9-16__Cases 1.4M --Dead 85.8K Lethality 6.1%
    WK7 5/17-24_Cases 1.7M - Dead 97.6K Lethality 5.9%
    WK8 5/28 Cases 1.7M - DEAD 101.2K - Same

13. #10 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,593 Times in 4,192 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,203 Times in 1,060 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Penderyn View Post
    Well, I suppose 'Harry' is only part of the Royal Family by politeness, and the hangers-on need thinning out, so good luck to the enterprise. It's going to be difficult to find an intermediate position for themselves, and 'Meghan' seems very much a bossy-britches, but what, really, has the whole thing got to do with us?
    She already has been hired by Disney to do a voiceover.
    BLUEXIT
    A Modest Proposal For Separating Blue States From Red

Dear Red-State Trump Voter,
    Let’s face it, guys: We’re done.

It is a tragedy that so much of the work that so many men and women toiled at for so long to make this a better country, and a better world, has been thrown away, leaving us all in such needless peril.

This is why our separation in all but name is necessary.

https://newrepublic.com/article/1409...mp-red-america

14. #11 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,400 Times in 5,849 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 6,395 Times in 6,142 Posts
    Blog Entries

Didn't the parasites lift a few million pounds in public money to renovate their...er......cottage, maggot .

How do you put up with these leeches. Is it because they are Tory figureheads.?

YOIKS ! YOIKS ! TALLY-HO WHAT ?

Haw, haw..........................................haw.
    " First they came for the journalists...
    We don't know what happened after that . "

Maria Ressa.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to moon For This Post:

Guno צְבִי (01-16-2020)

16. #12 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PostmodernProphet View Post
    I don't understand why anyone cares what they do.......there are plenty of royals to go around.....
    She's trash and her half sister was totally right about her.

17. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to cancel2 2022 For This Post:

Bigdog (01-14-2020), Life is Golden (01-17-2020), Stretch (01-16-2020)

18. #13 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 14,245 Times in 9,790 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 606 Times in 573 Posts

I don't foresee their marriage lasting more than a few years. JMHO
    "I mean, you got the first mainstream African-American who is articulate and bright and clean and a nice-looking guy. I mean, that's a storybook, man."
    — Joe Biden on Obama.

Socialism is just the modern word for monarchy.

D.C. has become a Guild System with an hierarchy and line of accession much like the Royal Court or priestly classes.

Private citizens are perfectly able of doing a better job without "apprenticing".

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bigdog For This Post:

anonymoose (01-16-2020), cancel2 2022 (01-14-2020)

20. #14 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,400 Times in 5,849 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 6,395 Times in 6,142 Posts
    Blog Entries

A touch of the ' tar-brush ' eh maggot ?

Haw, haw.........................haw.
    " First they came for the journalists...
    We don't know what happened after that . "

Maria Ressa.

21. #15 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bigdog View Post
    I don't foresee their marriage lasting more than a few years. JMHO
    Indeed!