Thread: My real estate law "problem"

1. #16 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 40,785 Times in 32,151 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,865 Times in 2,752 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by anonymoose View Post
    Lease ends January 31. Let's say he sues Feb. 1. I may be able to get this done before then.
    PmP - didn't you mention once you are a real estate lawyer?
    I am......I stopped counting how many evictions I've done when I got to 5000.......I must be north of 7000 by now......so if there is a knock on your door, don't answer it.......it might be a process server......
    Isaiah 6:5
    “Woe to me!” I cried. “I am ruined! For I am a man of unclean lips, and I live among a people of unclean lips, and my eyes have seen the King, the Lord Almighty.”

2. The Following User Says Thank You to PostmodernProphet For This Post:

anonymoose (01-13-2020)

3. #17 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,419 Times in 7,538 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 270 Times in 253 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PostmodernProphet View Post
    I am......I stopped counting how many evictions I've done when I got to 5000.......I must be north of 7000 by now......so if there is a knock on your door, don't answer it.......it might be a process server......
    I requested a consultation with a lawyer that has experience with the bully. Looks like a pretty smart guy.
    And I feel better after you mentioned 'trade fixture'. That is not in my lease.

4. #18 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,001 Times in 13,040 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,147 Times in 1,092 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by anonymoose View Post
    There seems to be a few lawyers on this board and I'd be interested in hearing your take on this.

I recently retired as a dentist and sold my records and equipment to another guy down the street.
    The dentist uninstalled a vacuum pump from the mechanical room and took it away.

The landlord for my building claims this was "permanently attached" . The relevant portion of the lease says, " Tenant will not remove any... equipment and improvements permanently attached to said premises....".

I received a certified letter from the landlord stating, "...I have to insist that any equipment that was permently (sic) attached to the building and removed, is returned and reinstalled before 1/1/2020 to cure this breach of contract," referring to the vacuum pump I assume, he just says dental equipment.
    The pump is hard wired with three electrical wires and essentially screwed in to place , but this does take maybe a couple of hours of effort by someone who has experience installing equpment and not necessarily a plumber.

Normally I would just ignore this. Dental equipment is installed and uninstalled all the time, no big deal.
    However this guy has a reputation of being a bully and is involved in lawsuits almost all the time. The last lessor in this space was a community health center dental clinic and they were involved in a lawsuit with this nut for several yrs. over the same thing and finally settled with him because it was costing so much.

Personally I prefer to stand up to bullies, I'm now retired and I have the time. BUT, I will be moving to Washington sometime next summer and simply do not want to get involved in a lengthy legal proceeding having to fly in to Anchorage, legal costs, etc.
    And this is over a vacuum pump I can get refurbished with a warranty on eBay for $89 and have installed in a couple of hrs.
    I read the relevant portion of AK real estate law and it looks like the legal question here is 'what is considered permanent attachment'.
    Please advise.
    Have the landlord killed and fed to a bear. It will keep your case out of civil court and it costs less to feed him to a bear.

That way you get piece of mind and $89 but for gods sake don’t get caught feeding the bear. I hear they take that real serious in Alaska.
    You're Never Alone With A Schizophrenic!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Mott the Hoople For This Post:

anonymoose (01-15-2020)

6. #19 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 35,051 Times in 26,519 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,742 Times in 4,521 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mott the Hoople View Post
    Have the landlord killed and fed to a bear. It will keep your case out of civil court and it costs less to feed him to a bear.

That way you get piece of mind and $89 but for gods sake don’t get caught feeding the bear. I hear they take that real serious in Alaska.
    Does a retired dentist shit in the woods?

7. #20 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,001 Times in 13,040 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,147 Times in 1,092 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Havana Moon View Post
    Does a retired dentist shit in the woods?
    With what they charge they can pretty much shit wherever they want.
    You're Never Alone With A Schizophrenic!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Mott the Hoople For This Post:

cancel2 2022 (01-15-2020)

9. #21 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 35,051 Times in 26,519 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,742 Times in 4,521 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mott the Hoople View Post
    With what they charge they can pretty much shit wherever they want.
    Dentists are pretty good and relatively cheap here in Thailand. I had an amalgam filling which fell out replaced with a composite one for less than £20.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to cancel2 2022 For This Post:

Mott the Hoople (01-16-2020)