Page 1 of 31 1234511 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 459

Thread: Evolution vs Creationism---Is there a God? Or is it all just random chance?

  1. #1 | Top
    Join Date
    Sep 2019
    Location
    Upstate NY
    Posts
    463
    Thanks
    136
    Thanked 303 Times in 233 Posts
    Groans
    9
    Groaned 14 Times in 11 Posts

    Default Evolution vs Creationism---Is there a God? Or is it all just random chance?

    I'm definitely a creationist at heart. I believe that God is real, Jesus is the son of God. Humans are chained to a lie because that is the desire of our enemy. Satan has made his kingdom here on earth and has great influence over the human race. As evidenced in the garden of Eden, he caused the fall of humanity, the turn away from God and this is how "death" entered into our vocabulary.




    In reference to evolution, its still just a theory. For one there are no transition forms in the fossil record. For another 99% of all mutations are bad. Evolution is a mathematical impossibility when you sit down and look at the odds.



    For example, if evolution were true, what is the deal with all the fraudulent fossils? Surely there would be no need to "fake" the missing links between species, yet this seems to be a re-occurring theme that evolutionists cannot escape from.

    Please share you views on this, I am eager to gain in insight and knowledge and that is exactly what this thread is about. I don't want this to turn into a political pissing match. Let's not mock or demean, simply list your argument and your evidence and debate your points as you see fit.

    Good luck and God speed!
    dem·o·crat: one who subverts authority; unpleasant, destructive, hateful, vile, malicious, vicious, heinous, ugly, bad, nefarious, villainous, corrupt, malevolent, hideous, wicked, harm, pain, catastrophe, calamity, ill willed, a reviler; a defamer; a slanderer; a detractor; a carper; a calumniator; a muckraker; a vilifier; a disparager; a slanderer; a maligner; a detractor; a denigrator; a traducer; a vituperator; a castigator; a libeler; a defiler; a traitor; a debaser;

  2. #2 | Top
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    86,333
    Thanks
    4,923
    Thanked 23,691 Times in 18,948 Posts
    Groans
    2,056
    Groaned 2,142 Times in 2,039 Posts

    Default

    shit just happens is a silly scientific theory......
    Isaiah 6:5
    “Woe to me!” I cried. “I am ruined! For I am a man of unclean lips, and I live among a people of unclean lips, and my eyes have seen the King, the Lord Almighty.”

  3. The Following User Says Thank You to PostmodernProphet For This Post:

    Truth Detector (01-30-2020)

  4. #3 | Top
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Columbus, Ohio
    Posts
    53,267
    Thanks
    14,390
    Thanked 17,794 Times in 12,274 Posts
    Groans
    284
    Groaned 1,117 Times in 1,064 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Iron-Merc View Post
    I'm definitely a creationist at heart. I believe that God is real, Jesus is the son of God. Humans are chained to a lie because that is the desire of our enemy. Satan has made his kingdom here on earth and has great influence over the human race. As evidenced in the garden of Eden, he caused the fall of humanity, the turn away from God and this is how "death" entered into our vocabulary.




    In reference to evolution, its still just a theory. For one there are no transition forms in the fossil record. For another 99% of all mutations are bad. Evolution is a mathematical impossibility when you sit down and look at the odds.



    For example, if evolution were true, what is the deal with all the fraudulent fossils? Surely there would be no need to "fake" the missing links between species, yet this seems to be a re-occurring theme that evolutionists cannot escape from.

    Please share you views on this, I am eager to gain in insight and knowledge and that is exactly what this thread is about. I don't want this to turn into a political pissing match. Let's not mock or demean, simply list your argument and your evidence and debate your points as you see fit.

    Good luck and God speed!
    So this is a philosophical discussion and not a scientific one? The reason I ask that is your use of the term theory in the colloquial sense and not the scientific one as there is no such thing as “just a theory” in science.

    If the discussion is a philosophical one, and I have no problem with that, then I would ask why create a false dichotomy? One can believe in both and not be contradictory to each other.

    Now if you’re trying to conflate creationism with science well there’s not much room for discussion there. You’re just simply wrong. Creationism by definition is not nor can it be considered science.

    Now philosophically that doesn’t necessarily mean creationism is wrong. It just isn’t science.
    You're Never Alone With A Schizophrenic!

  5. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Mott the Hoople For This Post:

    christiefan915 (01-15-2020), Controlled Opposition (01-12-2020), Cypress (01-12-2020), domer76 (01-12-2020), Phantasmal (01-13-2020)

  6. #4 | Top
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    27,114
    Thanks
    11,203
    Thanked 14,540 Times in 7,453 Posts
    Groans
    0
    Groaned 1,261 Times in 1,161 Posts

    Default

    The premise of your thread is bogus, full of misinformation, and you attempt to present a false choice.

    I have personally run across literally thousands of people who accept the scientific tenets of evolution while maintaining their Christian, Jewish, Islamic, Buddhist, or Hindu faith

  7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cypress For This Post:

    christiefan915 (01-15-2020), Phantasmal (01-13-2020), ThatOwlWoman (01-12-2020)

  8. #5 | Top
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    Ravenhenge in the Northwoods
    Posts
    27,323
    Thanks
    48,065
    Thanked 19,372 Times in 12,144 Posts
    Groans
    0
    Groaned 1,939 Times in 1,820 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Iron-Merc View Post
    I'm definitely a creationist at heart. I believe that God is real, Jesus is the son of God. Humans are chained to a lie because that is the desire of our enemy. Satan has made his kingdom here on earth and has great influence over the human race. As evidenced in the garden of Eden, he caused the fall of humanity, the turn away from God and this is how "death" entered into our vocabulary.
    If I believed that there was such a being, which I do not, I would agree with you that you are correct. His tool is squatting in our White House at this present time. That you all worship a lying, cheating, bullying, cruel, and stupid man and believe that a god lifted him up to the highest office in the land shows how very clever Lucifer is. He has cloaked your eyes with dollar signs and false pride.
    Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.” -- Gandhi

  9. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ThatOwlWoman For This Post:

    christiefan915 (01-15-2020), Cypress (01-12-2020), Phantasmal (01-13-2020), Trumpet (01-12-2020)

  10. #6 | Top
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    Hooterville by the sea
    Posts
    11,953
    Thanks
    1,721
    Thanked 6,409 Times in 4,737 Posts
    Groans
    989
    Groaned 272 Times in 259 Posts
    Blog Entries
    6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Iron-Merc View Post
    I'm definitely a creationist at heart. I believe that God is real, Jesus is the son of God. Humans are chained to a lie because that is the desire of our enemy. Satan has made his kingdom here on earth and has great influence over the human race. As evidenced in the garden of Eden, he caused the fall of humanity, the turn away from God and this is how "death" entered into our vocabulary.




    In reference to evolution, its still just a theory. For one there are no transition forms in the fossil record. For another 99% of all mutations are bad. Evolution is a mathematical impossibility when you sit down and look at the odds.



    For example, if evolution were true, what is the deal with all the fraudulent fossils? Surely there would be no need to "fake" the missing links between species, yet this seems to be a re-occurring theme that evolutionists cannot escape from.

    Please share you views on this, I am eager to gain in insight and knowledge and that is exactly what this thread is about. I don't want this to turn into a political pissing match. Let's not mock or demean, simply list your argument and your evidence and debate your points as you see fit.

    Good luck and God speed!
    I believe that God created the beginnings of life on this planet and watched his creations evolve. When man came on the scene he created Satan to tempt man. And here we are today.

  11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Eagle-Eye For This Post:

    TOP (01-12-2020), USFREEDOM911 (01-12-2020)

  12. #7 | Top
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    Ravenhenge in the Northwoods
    Posts
    27,323
    Thanks
    48,065
    Thanked 19,372 Times in 12,144 Posts
    Groans
    0
    Groaned 1,939 Times in 1,820 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Eagle-Eye View Post
    I believe that God created the beginnings of life on this planet and watched his creations evolve. When man came on the scene he created Satan to tempt man. And here we are today.
    What's the point of tempting man? Some kind of divine amusement?
    Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.” -- Gandhi

  13. The Following User Says Thank You to ThatOwlWoman For This Post:

    Phantasmal (01-13-2020)

  14. #8 | Top
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    Hooterville by the sea
    Posts
    11,953
    Thanks
    1,721
    Thanked 6,409 Times in 4,737 Posts
    Groans
    989
    Groaned 272 Times in 259 Posts
    Blog Entries
    6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ThatOwlWoman View Post
    What's the point of tempting man? Some kind of divine amusement?
    Test

  15. #9 | Top
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    Ravenhenge in the Northwoods
    Posts
    27,323
    Thanks
    48,065
    Thanked 19,372 Times in 12,144 Posts
    Groans
    0
    Groaned 1,939 Times in 1,820 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Eagle-Eye View Post
    Test
    ?

    So this god puts tempting things in front of us, and if we partake, we fail and are punished?

    If a human parent did that, we'd call it child abuse.
    Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.” -- Gandhi

  16. #10 | Top
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    Hooterville by the sea
    Posts
    11,953
    Thanks
    1,721
    Thanked 6,409 Times in 4,737 Posts
    Groans
    989
    Groaned 272 Times in 259 Posts
    Blog Entries
    6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ThatOwlWoman View Post
    ?

    So this god puts tempting things in front of us, and if we partake, we fail and are punished?

    If a human parent did that, we'd call it child abuse.
    That is exactly the reply I would expect from someone who is in denial that there is a higher authority than man. Many things test us on our desire for something, why not the creator? All I can say is if I'm right you lose everything and I gain everything but if I'm wrong I lose nothing.

  17. The Following User Says Thank You to Eagle-Eye For This Post:

    TOP (01-12-2020)

  18. #11 | Top
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Columbus, Ohio
    Posts
    53,267
    Thanks
    14,390
    Thanked 17,794 Times in 12,274 Posts
    Groans
    284
    Groaned 1,117 Times in 1,064 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Iron-Merc View Post
    I'm definitely a creationist at heart. I believe that God is real, Jesus is the son of God. Humans are chained to a lie because that is the desire of our enemy. Satan has made his kingdom here on earth and has great influence over the human race. As evidenced in the garden of Eden, he caused the fall of humanity, the turn away from God and this is how "death" entered into our vocabulary.



    In reference to evolution, its still just a theory. For one there are no transition forms in the fossil record. For another 99% of all mutations are bad. Evolution is a mathematical impossibility when you sit down and look at the odds.
    These are common opinions by creationist that any biologists can debunk (btw there is no such thing a an evolutionist. Biologist would be the correct term as evolutionary theory in biology is a foundational theory). As for being just a theory, as I previously stated, there is no such thing in science. To be considered a scientific theory a theory must meet a number of specific criteria. The theory of biological evolution meets all those criteria. The most important of which it must have a factual basis. The modern definition of evolutionary theory is a change in allele frequency within a population (i.e. species) over time. That’s an easily observable fact. The mechanism that causes biological evolution, natural selection, is supported by three laws of nature, the laws of inheritance, the laws of variation and the law of superfecundancy which, again, are easily observable facts that no serious scientist disputes.

    As for there being no transitional species in the fossil record that’s factually wrong. There are significant numbers in the fossil record. Archaeopteryx and Australopithecus Aferensis are just two examples i can make of the top of my head.

    On 99% of genetic mutations being harmful you are again factually wrong. The vast majority of mutation result in pseudo genes that are not genetically expressed. In other words their affect is neutral. A few random genetic mutations are harmful and a few are, overtime adopted into that species genome as expressed physical trait (i.e. change in allele frequency over time).

    As for biological evolution being mathematically impossible you’re again factually wrong. That would be a statistical fallacy of calculating the probability of an event occurring which has already happened. Ergo, the mathematical probability of biological evolution occurring is unity or a probability correlation of 1.0 as its already happened.

    For example, if evolution were true, what is the deal with all the fraudulent fossils? Surely there would be no need to "fake" the missing links between species, yet this seems to be a re-occurring theme that evolutionists cannot escape from.

    I have no idea of what you mean by fraudulent fossils other than that when fraud has occurred in the biological sciences it has been biologist who discovered the fraud. As for this being a re-occurring theme in biology I defy you to provide the evidence to that effect.

    Ultimately Creationist have two fundamental problems in undermining the theory of biological evolution other than its easily observable factual basis.

    One is that a modern scientific theory is only valuable as the useful predictions it can make that can be independently verified. You’d be hard pressed to find a scientific theory as useful as biological evolution as it has mad a vast number of independently verified predictions. How else could you explain that virtually all the applied branches of biology are largely or wholly based on evolutionary theory?

    Second is that the purpose of evolutionary theory is to provide an over arching explanation that model the natural phenomena of speciation. If you are to debunk evolutionary theory you would need to replace it with an alternate scientific theory that provides more useful predictions than the current biological theory. Good luck with that. Don’t try to claim Creationism or it’s doppelgänger Intelligent Design Creationism as alternate scientific theory as it meets none of the criteria required to be considered science.

    Ultimately it’s up to you to provide the independently verified data to us biologist that we can actually use to change our views on the mechanisms that explain speciation. As a person with a graduated education in biology I haven’t seen any coming from the Creationist camp that pass scientific scrutiny in my lifetime.
    Please share you views on this, I am eager to gain in insight and knowledge and that is exactly what this thread is about. I don't want this to turn into a political pissing match. Let's not mock or demean, simply list your argument and your evidence and debate your points as you see fit.

    Good luck and God speed!
    So for Creationist it boils down to put up or shut up. Either provide us with a model that works or be ignored by science. The choice is yours.
    You're Never Alone With A Schizophrenic!

  19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mott the Hoople For This Post:

    Cypress (01-12-2020), ThatOwlWoman (01-12-2020)

  20. #12 | Top
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    Ravenhenge in the Northwoods
    Posts
    27,323
    Thanks
    48,065
    Thanked 19,372 Times in 12,144 Posts
    Groans
    0
    Groaned 1,939 Times in 1,820 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Eagle-Eye View Post
    That is exactly the reply I would expect from someone who is in denial that there is a higher authority than man. Many things test us on our desire for something, why not the creator? All I can say is if I'm right you lose everything and I gain everything but if I'm wrong I lose nothing.
    Ah, so it IS a game!

    Along with the universe, you believe that your god also created morals? Morals -- and the human-created laws that back them up -- are changeable, as human history shows us. Just a look at the doings in the Old Testament tells us that. Human sacrifice (Abraham), public drunkenness (Noah), polygamy and adultery (Solomon and his 700 wives and 600 concubines), slavery (most of the actors in the OT) -- all things we now call immoral and forbid by law.
    Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.” -- Gandhi

  21. The Following User Groans At ThatOwlWoman For This Awful Post:

    Eagle-Eye (01-12-2020)

  22. The Following User Says Thank You to ThatOwlWoman For This Post:

    Cypress (01-12-2020)

  23. #13 | Top
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    In my house
    Posts
    11,381
    Thanks
    1,365
    Thanked 3,857 Times in 2,909 Posts
    Groans
    4
    Groaned 255 Times in 242 Posts
    Blog Entries
    3

    Default

    No doubt in my mind that sone sense of intellegent design is behind all this. Does it use sone sense of evolution as part of it ? Sure, why not ?
    ERIC CIARAMELLA whose name may not be spoken

  24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Celticguy For This Post:

    Eagle-Eye (01-12-2020), USFREEDOM911 (01-12-2020)

  25. #14 | Top
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    Hooterville by the sea
    Posts
    11,953
    Thanks
    1,721
    Thanked 6,409 Times in 4,737 Posts
    Groans
    989
    Groaned 272 Times in 259 Posts
    Blog Entries
    6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ThatOwlWoman View Post
    Ah, so it IS a game!

    Along with the universe, you believe that your god also created morals? Morals -- and the human-created laws that back them up -- are changeable, as human history shows us. Just a look at the doings in the Old Testament tells us that. Human sacrifice (Abraham), public drunkenness (Noah), polygamy and adultery (Solomon and his 700 wives and 600 concubines), slavery (most of the actors in the OT) -- all things we now call immoral and forbid by law.
    Now you are playing the let's be asinine non believers game. you do realize everything you mentioned is a part of man's evolution. Why does it bother you non believers so much that we believe in a supreme being? I believe it's fear you may be wrong so you must deride our beliefs to try to allay your fears!

  26. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Eagle-Eye For This Post:

    Iron-Merc (01-12-2020), TOP (01-12-2020), USFREEDOM911 (01-12-2020)

  27. #15 | Top
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    27,114
    Thanks
    11,203
    Thanked 14,540 Times in 7,453 Posts
    Groans
    0
    Groaned 1,261 Times in 1,161 Posts

    Default

    Religious Views on Evolution

    Buddhism
    Many Buddhists see no inherent conflict between their religious teachings and evolutionary theory.

    Catholicism
    The Catholic Church generally accepts evolutionary theory as the scientific explanation for the development of all life. However, this acceptance comes with the understanding that natural selection is a God-directed mechanism of biological development and that man’s soul is the divine creation of God.

    United Methodist Church
    In 2008, the church’s highest legislative body passed a resolution saying that “science’s descriptions of cosmological, geological, and biological evolution are not in conflict with [the church’s] theology.”

    Southern Baptist Convention
    In 1982, the Southern Baptist Convention issued a resolution rejecting the theory of evolution and stating that creation science “can be presented solely in terms of scientific evidence without any religious doctrines or concepts.”

    United Church of Christ
    The United Church of Christ finds evolutionary theory and Christian faith to be compatible, embracing evolution as a means “to see our faith in a new way.”

    Judaism
    While all of the major movements of American Judaism – including the Reconstructionist, Reform, Conservative and Orthodox branches – teach that God is the creator of the universe and all life, Jewish teachings generally do not find an inherent conflict between evolutionary theory and faith.

    Islam
    While the Koran teaches that Allah created human beings as they appear today, Islamic scholars and followers are divided on the theory of evolution. Theologically conservative Muslims who ascribe to literal interpretations of the Koran generally denounce the evolutionary argument for natural selection, whereas many theologically liberal Muslims believe that while man is divinely created, evolution is not necessarily incompatible with Islamic principles.

    The Eastern Orthodox Church
    Is divided in two large categories, which might be labeled as compatibilism and dualism. On the one hand, compatibilists hold that evolutionary science and theology are compatible and view them as complementary revelations of God. On the other hand, dualists hold that evolution can be incompatible with faith. They usually argue either that evolutionary science is philosophically based on a kind of naturalism or that God's specific revelation is infallible and therefore trumps the findings of human reason in the case of any conflict between them.

    https://www.pewforum.org/2009/02/04/...-on-evolution/

    Republicans
    Large numbers of Republicans do not believe in evolution.
    https://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tan...w-its-changed/

  28. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cypress For This Post:

    christiefan915 (01-15-2020), ThatOwlWoman (01-12-2020)

Similar Threads

  1. Teaching Creationism is Child Abuse
    By signalmankenneth in forum Current Events Forum
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-27-2013, 12:32 AM
  2. Creationism Is Not Appropriate For Children
    By signalmankenneth in forum Current Events Forum
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08-31-2012, 05:46 PM
  3. haven't eaten anything for ~41 hours, just by random chance
    By Kimbo Kush in forum Off Topic Forum
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 07-11-2012, 01:49 PM
  4. Replies: 81
    Last Post: 04-30-2012, 10:29 PM
  5. Evolution vs. Creationism
    By Dixie - In Memoriam in forum Current Events Forum
    Replies: 45
    Last Post: 03-23-2012, 03:52 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Rules

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •