Page 2 of 32 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Evolution vs Creationism---Is there a God? Or is it all just random chance?

1. #16 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 82,492 Times in 52,722 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,657 Times in 4,376 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Eagle-Eye View Post
    Now you are playing the let's be asinine non believers game. you do realize everything you mentioned is a part of man's evolution. Why does it bother you non believers so much that we believe in a supreme being? I believe it's fear you may be wrong so you must deride our beliefs to try to allay your fears!
    If you see derision towards you in my post that's on you. I'm merely questioning the existence of an arbitrary game-playing god who uses us for his amusement. I'm more of a pan-theist than an atheist. "If one god is real, they all are."

I can't speak for other non-Xtians, of course, but personally I don't care what someone believes as long as they don't use that belief to justify being an asshole.
    "Conservatism is the blind and fear-filled worship of dead radicals." -- Mark Twain

2. #17 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,043 Times in 3,907 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,697 Times in 1,555 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Iron-Merc View Post
    I'm definitely a creationist at heart.
    That explains a lot.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to StoneByStone For This Post:

domer76 (01-12-2020), Iron-Merc (01-12-2020)

4. #18 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,043 Times in 3,907 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,697 Times in 1,555 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by PostmodernProphet View Post
    shit just happens is a silly scientific theory......
    It's also not a scientific theory. It's a #strawman.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to StoneByStone For This Post:

ThatOwlWoman (01-12-2020)

6. #19 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 50,276 Times in 27,089 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,975 Times in 2,692 Posts

That is exactly the reply I would expect from someone who is in denial that there is a higher authority than man. Many things test us on our desire for something, why not the creator? All I can say is if I'm right you lose everything and I gain everything but if I'm wrong I lose nothing.
    Unfortunately, you do not speak for all of world Christianity. Some Christians view Satan as a metaphor. Particularly traditionally liberal Christian denominations.

The view of Satan inherited by many fundamentalists are rooted in Medieval mythology and lore and not firmly rooted in actual scripture

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Cypress For This Post:

8. #20 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Cypress View Post
    Republicans
    Large numbers of Republicans do not believe in evolution.
    https://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tan...w-its-changed/
    I'm shocked. Not. Things sure have changed since I was a kid. Back then (R)s were generally devout church-attending ppl, same with (D)s. Yet the (R)s supported the sciences and scientific R&D and voted for ppl who would toss funding towards universities and other institutes doing research. There was no debate about evolution vs creationism in mainstream culture. In fact, I did a science report assignment in 5th grade on the evolution of the horse to much acclaim (I got an A on it, lol). The year was 1963.

Here so we are in the 21st century. Still no flying cars or ppl living on the Moon. Now we have otherwise intelligent, at least partly-educated people trying to convince us that science is bullshit and creationism is just as valid as anything else. That's fine, as long as they keep it out of our schools.
    "Conservatism is the blind and fear-filled worship of dead radicals." -- Mark Twain

9. The Following User Says Thank You to ThatOwlWoman For This Post:

Cypress (01-12-2020)

10. #21 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by ThatOwlWoman View Post
    I'm shocked. Not. Things sure have changed since I was a kid. Back then (R)s were generally devout church-attending ppl, same with (D)s. Yet the (R)s supported the sciences and scientific R&D and voted for ppl who would toss funding towards universities and other institutes doing research. There was no debate about evolution vs creationism in mainstream culture. In fact, I did a science report assignment in 5th grade on the evolution of the horse to much acclaim (I got an A on it, lol). The year was 1963.

Here so we are in the 21st century. Still no flying cars or ppl living on the Moon. Now we have otherwise intelligent, at least partly-educated people trying to convince us that science is bullshit and creationism is just as valid as anything else. That's fine, as long as they keep it out of our schools.
    I believe the dumbing down of the Republican Party started when they rolled out the welcome mat for the racist Dixiecrats in the 1960s and 70s, and welcomed them with open arms

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Cypress For This Post:

12. #22 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,519 Times in 11,562 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 513 Times in 483 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ThatOwlWoman View Post
    If you see derision towards you in my post that's on you. I'm merely questioning the existence of an arbitrary game-playing god who uses us for his amusement. I'm more of a pan-theist than an atheist. "If one god is real, they all are."

I can't speak for other non-Xtians, of course, but personally I don't care what someone believes as long as they don't use that belief to justify being an asshole.
    I believe there is only one God. Man chooses to call him by other names and worship differently so what. As to playing games, God gives you a choice come to him or go to Satan. He gives you a way out if you make the wrong choice I don't consider that playing games. We have fought over this numerous times and nothing has changed. How about we argue over something more fun like the train wreck you think Trump is and the clowns you have running against him.

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Eagle_Eye For This Post:

Iron-Merc (01-12-2020), TOP (01-12-2020), USFREEDOM911 (01-12-2020)

14. #23 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,519 Times in 11,562 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 513 Times in 483 Posts
    Blog Entries

Unfortunately, you do not speak for all of world Christianity. Some Christians view Satan as a metaphor. Particularly traditionally liberal Christian denominations.

The view of Satan inherited by many fundamentalists are rooted in Medieval mythology and lore and not firmly rooted in actual scripture
    Did I ever once suggest I spoke for all Christians? No! I gave you all my beliefs and that is it.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Eagle_Eye For This Post:

USFREEDOM911 (01-12-2020)

16. #24 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

I believe the dumbing down of the Republican Party started when they rolled out the welcome mat for the racist Dixiecrats in the 1960s and 70s, and welcomed them with open arms
    Agree, and then they courted and wooed the evangelicals... and the rest was history.

17. #25 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

I believe there is only one God. Man chooses to call him by other names and worship differently so what. As to playing games, God gives you a choice come to him or go to Satan. He gives you a way out if you make the wrong choice I don't consider that playing games. We have fought over this numerous times and nothing has changed. How about we argue over something more fun like the train wreck you think Trump is and the clowns you have running against him.
    We can do that, but it would be better done in a different thread, eh?

I see the world as a bit more nuanced perhaps than you do. There are more than just two choices, Satan or God. There is 1) no one at all, 2) all of the gods mankind has created, 3) self-worship, 4) Trump worship, 5) born fine the first time, 6) hero worship, and 7) who gives a shit? lol

18. #26 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Maybe it's more like this.

19. #27 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Did I ever once suggest I spoke for all Christians? No! I gave you all my beliefs and that is it.
    You are right and it is my fault for making assumptions

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cypress For This Post:

Controlled Opposition (01-12-2020), Eagle_Eye (01-12-2020)

21. #28 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 14 Times in 11 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Mott the Hoople View Post
    So this is a philosophical discussion and not a scientific one? The reason I ask that is your use of the term theory in the colloquial sense and not the scientific one as there is no such thing as “just a theory” in science.

If the discussion is a philosophical one, and I have no problem with that, then I would ask why create a false dichotomy? One can believe in both and not be contradictory to each other.

Now if you’re trying to conflate creationism with science well there’s not much room for discussion there. You’re just simply wrong. Creationism by definition is not nor can it be considered science.

Now philosophically that doesn’t necessarily mean creationism is wrong. It just isn’t science.
    It's both. You can put forth whichever type of argument suits you.
    dem·o·crat: one who subverts authority; unpleasant, destructive, hateful, vile, malicious, vicious, heinous, ugly, bad, nefarious, villainous, corrupt, malevolent, hideous, wicked, harm, pain, catastrophe, calamity, ill willed, a reviler; a defamer; a slanderer; a detractor; a carper; a calumniator; a muckraker; a vilifier; a disparager; a slanderer; a maligner; a detractor; a denigrator; a traducer; a vituperator; a castigator; a libeler; a defiler; a traitor; a debaser;

22. #29 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 14,172 Times in 10,390 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,876 Times in 4,194 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Iron-Merc View Post
    I'm definitely a creationist at heart. I believe that God is real, Jesus is the son of God. Humans are chained to a lie because that is the desire of our enemy. Satan has made his kingdom here on earth and has great influence over the human race. As evidenced in the garden of Eden, he caused the fall of humanity, the turn away from God and this is how "death" entered into our vocabulary.

In reference to evolution, its still just a theory. For one there are no transition forms in the fossil record. For another 99% of all mutations are bad. Evolution is a mathematical impossibility when you sit down and look at the odds.

For example, if evolution were true, what is the deal with all the fraudulent fossils? Surely there would be no need to "fake" the missing links between species, yet this seems to be a re-occurring theme that evolutionists cannot escape from.

Please share you views on this, I am eager to gain in insight and knowledge and that is exactly what this thread is about. I don't want this to turn into a political pissing match. Let's not mock or demean, simply list your argument and your evidence and debate your points as you see fit.

Good luck and God speed!

^Why doesn't this surprise me?

23. #30 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 14,172 Times in 10,390 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,876 Times in 4,194 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mott the Hoople View Post
    So this is a philosophical discussion and not a scientific one? The reason I ask that is your use of the term theory in the colloquial sense and not the scientific one as there is no such thing as “just a theory” in science.

If the discussion is a philosophical one, and I have no problem with that, then I would ask why create a false dichotomy? One can believe in both and not be contradictory to each other.

Now if you’re trying to conflate creationism with science well there’s not much room for discussion there. You’re just simply wrong. Creationism by definition is not nor can it be considered science.

Now philosophically that doesn’t necessarily mean creationism is wrong. It just isn’t science.
    Well put, MtH

24. The Following User Says Thank You to domer76 For This Post:

Mott the Hoople (01-12-2020)