Page 18 of 32 FirstFirst ... 814151617181920212228 ... LastLast

Thread: Evolution vs Creationism---Is there a God? Or is it all just random chance?

1. #256 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,778 Times in 3,065 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 124 Times in 122 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Cypress View Post
    You willfully ignore that I cited the writings of Luke which includes the Gospel and Acts

"In the Gospel of Luke, Jesus brings good news to the poor and oppressed and tells rich people to sell their possessions. In Acts, early christians live out that vision by sharing their property and wealth with the poor and with each other. Luke tells us believers retained no private property but they held everything in common."

- Dr. David Brakke, PhD, professor of religious history, Ohio State University
    Dr. David Brakke is not the writings of Luke, and he largely misses the main points of those two books.

2. #257 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 19 Times in 17 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by PostmodernProphet View Post
    not familiar with any party that says that......I am familiar with demmycrats who lie though.........might this be an example of that?.....
    No I don't think it's the party the supports gay marriage and abortion that I'm talking about. If you've never heard of the Religious Right then you're not qualified to be talking about political and ideological demographics.

if Joan of Arc read the same Bible that I did then yes.......do you have a problem with people who read the Bible?
    Joan of Arc probably read the same book, she was also probably burned by people who read the same book too. My problem is when people think their opinions are more valid and true because they claim it comes divine interpretation.

3. #258 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by gfm7175 View Post
    This was not at all Jesus telling rich people to share everything they have with the poor. Like many people do, you are taking a single Bible verse out of context.
    It's literally a direct quote, you adding context does not negate the original meaning.

The main lesson here is not that rich people absolutely must share everything they have with the poor, but rather that we need to place God above our Earthly wealth, not letting our Earthly wealth get in the way of our relationship with God. Even more-so, we need to realize that we can't save ourselves.
    Uh huh, and where do massive tax cuts for the rich and cutting social welfare programs for the poor fit in with this? If Jesus came back today who among the rich would he say "yea you did enough, keep your exorbitant riches"? This passage wasn't the only time Jesus talked about earthly nature of wealth and how one shouldn't gripe about paying taxes.

4. #259 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 40,780 Times in 32,146 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,865 Times in 2,752 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Casual Leftist View Post
    If you've never heard of the Religious Right then you're not qualified to be talking about political and ideological demographics.
    if you think the "Religious Right" says to represent both billionaires and God, you're not qualified to be talking about anything......

My problem is when people think their opinions are more valid and true because they claim it comes divine interpretation.
    its okay if you have that problem.......I don't actually give a fuck what your problems are........meanwhile my opinions are more valid and true.......but its not because of divine interpretation......its because your opinions are suck ass stupid........
    Isaiah 6:5
    “Woe to me!” I cried. “I am ruined! For I am a man of unclean lips, and I live among a people of unclean lips, and my eyes have seen the King, the Lord Almighty.”

5. The Following User Says Thank You to PostmodernProphet For This Post:

USFREEDOM911 (02-17-2020)

6. #260 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

It's literally a direct quote, you adding context does not negate the original meaning. .
    but your ignoring of the context negates your understanding of the original meaning.......on the one hand you have two thousand years of Christianity teaching the meaning of the passage........on the other hand we have an atheist without a clue........I wonder who has it right........

where do cutting social welfare programs for the poor fit in with this?
    if wonder if you even realize that social welfare programs have actually increased every year, even when demmycunts whine about how much they get cut......
    “Woe to me!” I cried. “I am ruined! For I am a man of unclean lips, and I live among a people of unclean lips, and my eyes have seen the King, the Lord Almighty.”

7. #261 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 14,432 Times in 12,044 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,699 Times in 1,647 Posts
    Blog Entries

Jesus doesn't talk about himself in the 3rd person. The parable was written by the disciples.
    Which has nothing to do with your acknowledgment and admission that Jesus was talking to his disciples and that you lied in your earlier post.
    SEDITION: incitement of resistance to or insurrection against lawful authority.

8. #262 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by PostmodernProphet View Post
    if you think the "Religious Right" says to represent both billionaires and God, you're not qualified to be talking about anything......
    Do you know who Ronald Reagan is? The man was owned by what you would call the 'Deep State' and beloved by Evangelicals. Bush jr, noted war monger and Evangelical. Both men sought to cut taxes to the rich.

Now you may be parsing hairs by what it means to worship the actual God - your interpretation at least being the narrow Truth - but the religious sects of the US can be very politically active. And they have way more influence than you while selling the same stuff as you. The Mormon church is a great example of local and national control.

meanwhile my opinions are more valid and true.......but its not because of divine interpretation......its because your opinions are suck ass stupid........
    You literally said God speaks to you through your reading of the Bible. That sounds like you have a pretty confident interpretation of divine matters. And 'I'm right because you're wrong' is a logical fallacy. We may not both be right, but we can both be wrong.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Casual Leftist For This Post:

ThatOwlWoman (02-18-2020)

10. #263 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by USFREEDOM911 View Post
    Which has nothing to do with your acknowledgment and admission that Jesus was talking to his disciples and that you lied in your earlier post.
    That would require reading it as Jesus talking to his disciples in the 3rd person. But while you fixate on a possible mistake you drop everything else - namely the words that were said to the rich man - a message not just for those 12 to observe.

11. #264 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by ThatOwlWoman View Post
    My, how things have changed, haven't they? Now American Xtians (many of them, not all) say "I got mine so screw the poor." Oddly, they say this at the same time they insist that it's not the government (i.e., the ppl) place to provide a social welfare safety network -- let the poor rely on charity.
    It's the scourge of Prosperity Gospel. And the Church being the only other large organization to offer charity it makes the poor population more susceptible to their religious indoctrination.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Casual Leftist For This Post:

13. #265 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

And 'I'm right because you're wrong' is a logical fallacy. We may not both be right, but we can both be wrong.
    ????.....I'm not right BECAUSE you are wrong.....I'm simply right and you are simply wrong .....and I'm obviously a lot smarter than you are........

now yes.....I know who Reagan was.....I voted for him twice........first Republican I ever voted for......given the essence of stupidity that was called Jimmy Carter there was no choice....my mother loved Carter.....till she died she said he was the best president we ever had.........because he taught Sunday School and sold grain to the Russians (I grew up on a grain farm in Iowa).......so don't tell me what religious people "owned".......

as for your hatred of religions, again........your problem, about which I do not give a fuck......

14. The Following User Says Thank You to PostmodernProphet For This Post:

USFREEDOM911 (02-18-2020)

15. #266 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

It's the scourge of Prosperity Gospel. And the Church being the only other large organization to offer charity it makes the poor population more susceptible to their religious indoctrination.
    so you're saying government needs to compete with religion in 'indoctrinating' the poor?.......does that mean Obama phones were your alternative to prayer?......

16. #267 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 82,492 Times in 52,722 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,657 Times in 4,376 Posts
    Blog Entries

Absolutely. We have a family member who, for a brief time, lived in a HUD-managed apartment complex. The nearby evangelical church occasionally had offerings of used clothing and canned food for the complex's residents, which of course came with invitations to attend the church. That was okay; obviously no one was forced to go there to get free stuff. But they also canvassed the complex weekly with some of their more zealous parishioners, some of whom would not take no for an answer. They especially liked it when a child answered the door, as you might imagine... their firewalls aren't as strong as adults'.

You're right about that "Prosperity Gospel." They have forgotten the words of their own gods, in exchange for material wealth.

"But if anyone has the world's goods and sees his brother in need, yet closes his heart against him, how does God's love abide in him?" -- Jesus, 1 John 3:17

"“If among you, one of your brothers should become poor, in any of your towns within your land that the Lord your God is giving you, you shall not harden your heart or shut your hand against your poor brother, but you shall open your hand to him and lend him sufficient for his need, whatever it may be. Take care lest there be an unworthy thought in your heart and you say, ‘The seventh year, the year of release is near,’ and your eye look grudgingly on your poor brother, and you give him nothing, and he cry to the Lord against you, and you be guilty of sin. You shall give to him freely, and your heart shall not be grudging when you give to him, because for this the Lord your God will bless you in all your work and in all that you undertake. For there will never cease to be poor in the land. Therefore I command you, ‘You shall open wide your hand to your brother, to the needy and to the poor, in your land.’" -- God, Deut. 15: 7-11
    "Conservatism is the blind and fear-filled worship of dead radicals." -- Mark Twain

17. #268 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

It's literally a direct quote, you adding context does not negate the original meaning.
    Uh huh, and where do massive tax cuts for the rich and cutting social welfare programs for the poor fit in with this? If Jesus came back today who among the rich would he say "yea you did enough, keep your exorbitant riches"? This passage wasn't the only time Jesus talked about earthly nature of wealth and how one shouldn't gripe about paying taxes.
    Here is the context that gfm is so concerned about.

"Luke 12:22-22 And he said to his disciples, “Therefore I tell you, do not be anxious about your life, what you will eat, nor about your body, what you will put on. 23 For life is more than food, and the body more than clothing. 24 Consider the ravens: they neither sow nor reap, they have neither storehouse nor barn, and yet God feeds them. Of how much more value are you than the birds! 25 And which of you by being anxious can add a single hour to his span of life?[c] 26 If then you are not able to do as small a thing as that, why are you anxious about the rest? 27 Consider the lilies, how they grow: they neither toil nor spin,[d] yet I tell you, even Solomon in all his glory was not arrayed like one of these. 28 But if God so clothes the grass, which is alive in the field today, and tomorrow is thrown into the oven, how much more will he clothe you, O you of little faith! 29 And do not seek what you are to eat and what you are to drink, nor be worried. 30 For all the nations of the world seek after these things, and your Father knows that you need them. 31 Instead, seek his[e] kingdom, and these things will be added to you.

32 “Fear not, little flock, for it is your Father's good pleasure to give you the kingdom. 33 Sell your possessions, and give to the needy. Provide yourselves with moneybags that do not grow old, with a treasure in the heavens that does not fail, where no thief approaches and no moth destroys. 34 For where your treasure is, there will your heart be also."

Clearly Christ is telling His followers not to be concerned about wealth and material goods; the Lord will provide. Instead they are admonished to focus on Heavenly rewards.

It seems like today's Xtian conservatives want both.
    "Conservatism is the blind and fear-filled worship of dead radicals." -- Mark Twain

18. #269 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,507 Times in 1,787 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,738 Times in 1,599 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ThatOwlWoman View Post

It seems like today's Xtian conservatives want both.
    Well, in the New Testament the outlook for the rich is hardly good, is it? Still, with God all things are possible!

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Iolo/Penderyn For This Post:

20. #270 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Penderyn View Post
    Well, in the New Testament the outlook for the rich is hardly good, is it? Still, with God all things are possible!
    We humans seem to have an unfailing capacity to take something good (Jesus' original message) and twist and weaponize it, don't we? American Xtian "conservatives" are no exception. Disclaimer: I have no knowledge of how Xtians behave in other countries so qualified the prior statement by adding "American" to it. Are yours over there as selfish and hate-filled as many of ours are?

21. The Following User Says Thank You to ThatOwlWoman For This Post:

Iolo/Penderyn (02-18-2020)